Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 13, 2023 9:12 PM
Oct 2021
So I have just recently gotten into reading light novels so naturally I've wanted to start getting into reading Spice and Wolf. Now I've watched the entire anime adaptation. Does that mean I should start reading the light novel series somewhere in the middle where the anime ends? If so, what volume would that be? Or should I just not bother and start reading the series from the beginning? Any input would be helpful!

Thank you! 

(I'm reposting this in the anime's forums as it seems to be much more active...)
May 13, 2023 9:30 PM
Jul 2021
Apparently there is a new anime in the making? Not sure if remake or S3 though
May 13, 2023 10:08 PM
Aug 2021
I always suggest starting the source material at the beginning because even faithful adapatations usually leave stuff out or miss a lot of context because you don't get to see inside the character's thoughts.
May 13, 2023 11:37 PM

Jul 2017
start from the remake that is currently in production
May 14, 2023 12:09 AM

Jan 2017
Brittaman12 said:
Does that mean I should start reading the light novel series somewhere in the middle where the anime ends? If so, what volume would that be? Or should I just not bother and start reading the series from the beginning? Any input would be helpful!

The Anime altered some minor content of Volume 1 , and totally skipped Volume 4 , but adapted Volume 5 instead.
You can start at Volume 6 if you just want to see the continuation , but reading from the very beginning is preferred when changing media.

As other users above pointed out , a new Anime Adaptation was announced tho , and it's believed to be a Remake. (Still not confirmed)
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 14, 2023 7:45 AM
Sep 2021
The novels are quite dense compared to the show, so I'd recommend reading from the beginning, or if you don't have the time, from volume three, considering that that's where things start to get a bit more complex. Volume three also leads into volume four, meaning it has some slight differences from its counterpart in the show. There are a number of changes and additional details even from the beginning, though. For example, Lawrence is aware of Yoitz's destruction by a great bear from chapter one of volume one, not from volume three, as in the show.
This is all coming from someone only getting into the novels recently, too. They're very good so far.
May 14, 2023 9:42 PM
Jan 2022
Benjamin4636 said:

I want a remake. The anime wasn’t that bad but the manga visuals look nicer. And I think the anime would look great if remade👍
May 15, 2023 12:19 AM
Jul 2021
Sara_Karma said:
Benjamin4636 said:

I want a remake. The anime wasn’t that bad but the manga visuals look nicer. And I think the anime would look great if remade👍

How much does the manga cover? I can see it’s finished but the original source ( light novel ) is still ongoing
May 15, 2023 11:39 AM

Jan 2017
Sara_Karma said:
I want a remake. The anime wasn’t that bad but the manga visuals look nicer.

The Manga Art is too different from the Light Novel , so it's not really well liked.
The shading is really great tho , especially with how little black there is.

Benjamin4636 said:
How much does the manga cover? I can see it’s finished but the original source ( light novel ) is still ongoing

The Main Story of the Light Novel is completed at Volume 17 , but the Author started a short series of Epilogue to celebrate the 10th Anniversary. (There is also a Sequel.)
The Manga adapted those 17 Volumes , but skipped/highly altered most of it.
Therefore , it's recommended to read it only if you want to see the end without actually reading the Novel.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 16, 2023 9:38 AM
Aug 2018
I’ve seen whole anime adaptation, read first 3 light novels and also read some of the manga adaptation.
With all due respect I can say that all of them differ.
I advise you to start LN in the beginning as it has some scenes that were left out in anime or simply couldn’t be portrayed. Also you’ll have easier time adjusting to authors way of writing.
May 16, 2023 6:24 PM
Oct 2021
Thank you all for your answers. I think I'll just start from the beginning.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

154 by 0451 »»
May 14, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Pokedude97 - Jun 2, 2008

134 by 0451 »»
May 13, 10:55 AM

» DVD-Only Episode and Episode Count

Vince - Mar 25, 2008

28 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 11, 6:22 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

33 by animejas »»
May 7, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Feb 14, 2008

189 by 0451 »»
May 6, 10:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.