Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 13, 2023 7:32 AM
Jan 2020
Why do people say that the 2006 anime adaptation of fate/stay night is bad and that you shouldn't start the series from there? One of the more common arguments I've come across is that it's not a faithful adaptation or that it's a crappy amalgamation of all three routes together. Though after watching the anime and then reading the fate route of the visual novel out of curiosity I was surprised to find that the anime was pretty darn accurate to the fate route of the visual novel. The only differences I came across was
Beyond that the rest of the anime story followed the visual novel accurately so I just don't understand why people often say to skip the anime all together?
May 13, 2023 7:41 AM
Jul 2022
For me the other 2 felt more visually pleasing and I just prefer the stories of the other routes to this one.
May 13, 2023 7:42 AM
Feb 2022
i dont think it is bad it is good
May 13, 2023 7:50 AM

Jan 2017
zckfox said:
Why do people say that the 2006 anime adaptation of fate/stay night is bad and that you shouldn't start the series from there?

- Not so good Animation. (Especially compared to what Ufotable did later)
- It does mix a bit of elements of UBW & HF in it , and spoils (or atleast strongly hints) some of the twists that are supposed to be revealed in them.
- Shirô is extremely annoying , due to his numerous monologues being cut. (Even more than in the other adaptations.)
- There is the infamous "You die when you are killed" sentence which is completely out of context , but sounds dumb.
- Terrible reputation , which leeds peoples to not even try watching it.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 13, 2023 7:55 AM

Apr 2018
Basically just changing much stuff and not being faithful to that route
One Piece is the GOAT
May 13, 2023 8:14 AM
Jan 2022
it's not bad but compared to unlimited blade works, fate stay/night(2006)got bad animations but yk people prefer good animations
May 13, 2023 8:23 AM
Apr 2017
zckfox said:
Why do people say that the 2006 anime adaptation of fate/stay night is bad and that you shouldn't start the series from there? One of the more common arguments I've come across is that it's not a faithful adaptation or that it's a crappy amalgamation of all three routes together. Though after watching the anime and then reading the fate route of the visual novel out of curiosity I was surprised to find that the anime was pretty darn accurate to the fate route of the visual novel. The only differences I came across was
Beyond that the rest of the anime story followed the visual novel accurately so I just don't understand why people often say to skip the anime all together?

Main reason: it spoils the other routes. All the added content that u mentioned is actually supposed to only be revealed on later routes.
May 13, 2023 9:06 AM
Sep 2022
I never read the VN so I expected to enjoy this considering how good the other two paths of stay night were. Really that’s the problem though the other two are for starters visually much more pleasing. Also you can tell the story they were meant to get across didn’t really get across well. The other two paths each had the main focus on one of the three girls. This one was meant to be sabers path but the focus didn’t feel entirely on her. Also some of the dialogue didn’t make sense or sounded dumb.
May 13, 2023 9:07 AM
Nov 2020
It’s not just animation, but in general it’s kinda just a mess; cut dialogue, congealed some stuff from UBW and Heavens Feel
May 13, 2023 9:33 AM
𝑚𝑒𝑜𝑤

Feb 2021
it’s not bad, i think people got more used with the type of animations we’re seeing right now and since that animation is different i just think people consider it “dated” cause we have unlimited blade works

MY CANDIES

on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

May 13, 2023 9:56 AM
May 2021
Do they? It’s my favorite since Saber is the love interest. I suppose animation could stand an upgrade, but the music and early 2000’s feel is pleasant. If you’re in it for the fight scenes though, it’s kinda hard to beat heavens feel, saber alter vs Medusa.
May 13, 2023 9:59 AM

Jul 2020
I have 2 things to say about this, the first is the animation problem, many people, especially those who have joined during Covid probably started with Demon Slayer,, JJK, AoT or some other big hit anime that have the most gorgeous animations to ever exist. Even one bad shot/cgi and they harass anime studios (Aot for exemple). These people can't stop complaing about crappy animation. Even before Covid, there's people who always expect the best animations , but forget that Fate/Stay Night came out in 2006.

The second one, probably truer, is that VN/LN/Manga readers like to complain about each and every thing that gets cut out/changed a bit, they think themselves superior to anime onlys. In one route it's shown that Shirou is pierced/covered in blades and the text box shows his thoughts and how painful it is for him, in the anime it's literally just a scream and that's it. They think this is not enough to show that it is painful. And if you plan to watch Tsukihime, they'll will wholeheartedly say it's garbage, or straight out deny it's existence.
May 13, 2023 10:02 AM
Struggler

Dec 2020
I haven't played the visual novel yet (though I am going to start it soon), so I can't speak to the differences or similarities between it and 2006, and I know I'm biased bc I only watched 2006 after already watching UBW, Zero, and HF. I'm sure this negatively affected my score for the show, as it's probably much easier to notice the lackluster parts of DEEN's adaptation when you already know and love Ufotable's style of storytelling for Fate.

That being said, I think the biggest detrimental factor in my experience with the show was that because of the way most the scenes that were meant to be serious were directed, personally I just couldn't take them seriously and ended up laughing during many of them. Honestly, I think a big part of it for me was the voice acting direction, and an overall "absence of subtlety/nuance" for lack of a better way to describe what I felt about DEEN's Fate route. I love all of the Fate VAs to death, and they all do a stellar job in UBW, HF, and Zero imo, which is part of why I think it might have specifically been the voice acting direction that was throwing me off while watching 2006. That's mainly the only explanation I can think of for why so many of the "tense" moments have an overabundance of prolonged yelling, unless the VAs just got much better at conveying emotion with range by the time the Ufotable adaptations came around, by I definitely lean toward the former.

The fight scenes were also a downside for me. Though once again, by starting with Ufotable's Fate stuff, which has my favorite action in Anime hands down, before watching 2006, I don't think there was any way I wasn't gonna see DEEN's fights as a downgrade.

However, I will say that the SOL/humor bits in the show (ie. the Emiya Family eating around the table/everything Taiga) worked for me and were fun to watch. My biggest hope for anything Anime, is that Ufotable eventually remakes the Fate route, so we can finally see Saber's route done justice, and be able to see Archer vs. Berserker in all its glory. Plus, it would have the added benefit of giving a definitive starting point for the shows, instead of the convoluted debates we currently have about where to jump in first.

May 13, 2023 10:17 AM
Apr 2022
(note I still enjoyed fate/stay night)

having watched fate/zero before this I think it's just overall worse compared to fate/zero

I didnt enjoy the romance between shirou and saber, after watching the first anime it did feel out of place, as we had a vicious warrior who was then blushing over some mere human (I did like it at the start when shirou was trying to treat saber more as a human than servant)

the end fight was shocking. all fights were bad.

I liked the end where even though the romance was the key aspect of the anime, saber was still forced to leave. After both acknowledging and expressing the fact they love eachother, it wasn't too distressing having her leave.

all characters were great in fate/zero, besides caster, in stay night a lot of them were quite boring

but overall it just went from dark in depth story telling, that had really good fights in the second season, to some romance with a really poor story in regards to the actual grail war itself, that was different in a bad way.

if I hadn't watched fate/zero first I reckon I would have dropped this.
kotosuguMay 13, 2023 10:23 AM
May 13, 2023 10:17 AM
Mar 2022
I thought it was pretty solid ngl I guess people just hate cause it’s old
May 13, 2023 10:19 AM

Jan 2021
zera_scarlet said:
I have 2 things to say about this, the first is the animation problem, many people, especially those who have joined during Covid probably started with Demon Slayer,, JJK, AoT or some other big hit anime that have the most gorgeous animations to ever exist. Even one bad shot/cgi and they harass anime studios (Aot for exemple). These people can't stop complaing about crappy animation. Even before Covid, there's people who always expect the best animations , but forget that Fate/Stay Night came out in 2006.

The second one, probably truer, is that VN/LN/Manga readers like to complain about each and every thing that gets cut out/changed a bit, they think themselves superior to anime onlys. In one route it's shown that Shirou is pierced/covered in blades and the text box shows his thoughts and how painful it is for him, in the anime it's literally just a scream and that's it. They think this is not enough to show that it is painful. And if you plan to watch Tsukihime, they'll will wholeheartedly say it's garbage, or straight out deny it's existence.

tbf its more of vn readers being mad about very important monolohues being cut, its not like they want every single piece of inner monologue to be in, the ubw anime did quite a good job with show dont tell like the example you mentioned, its more of how certain scenes removing some critically important monologues like for example the archer vs caster scene at the temple being a good example where without context shirou sounds stupid for trying to "save" archer. i know alot of vn readers and most would agree that atleast a tiny bit of inner monologues wouldve been perfect.
another thing i will say is ufotable overdid some fight scenes, the shirou vs gil fight in particular just straight up has him doing air acrobatics, even tho hes not capable of doing that, but it isnt as bad as HF with the literal fight on a highway when theres people out and could see it (that whole sequence is anime only btw)

oh and the tsukihime anime is genuanly that bad, it deserves its existance denied.
salad77May 13, 2023 10:52 AM
Read the visual novel nerd
May 13, 2023 10:36 AM
May 2020
zckfox said:

Visually it’s just ok especially compared to the other adaptations, although I think that’s an unfair comparison since it is much older but the real big problem is it doesn’t directly adapt just the fate route but mixes in stuff from the other routes IE: killing off Illiya when she survived in the route and the bdsm Sakura that represented Dark Sakura which is Heaven’s feel only territory. This is the biggest reason it’s disliked because while the other routes do cut stuff they don’t drastically change the story as much as Fate 2006 does.
May 13, 2023 10:39 AM
May 2020
zera_scarlet said:

The second one I give you, the VN fans are abhorrent however, the reason they dislike the 2006 fate in particular isn’t just cause they cut some stuff, no, they added more from other routes straight up spoiling future twist and changed stuff like killing off Illiya when that never happened in fate route proper. And TSUKIHIME, well I haven’t watched it but I’m just going to guess it’s also a mess of an adaptation that fuses stuff from multiple routes which isn’t what you should do with an adaptation of a specific route
May 13, 2023 10:42 AM
May 2020
TypicalOne said:

having watched fate/zero before this I think it's just overall worse compared to fate/zero

I didnt enjoy the romance between shirou and saber, after watching the first anime it did feel out of place, as we had a vicious warrior who was then blushing over some mere human (I did like it at the start when shirou was trying to treat saber more as a human than servant)

I liked the end where even though the romance was the key aspect of the anime, saber was still forced to leave. After both acknowledging and expressing the fact they love eachother, it wasn't too distressing having her leave.

all characters were great in fate/zero, besides caster, in stay night a lot of them were quite boring

but overall it just went from dark in depth story telling, that had really good fights in the second season, to some romance with a really poor story in regards to the actual grail war itself, that was different in a bad way.

Fate/stay night came first so seeing saber act like a blushing normal girl is the original way she is. Plus in zero she wasn’t a vicious killer. I Hooghly reccomend playing the VN, it’s very good to amazing and blows Zero out of the water when it comes to writing
May 13, 2023 10:44 AM
Mar 2021
it was just not as good as the others but it's ok overall just outshine by other show in the fate franchise
May 13, 2023 11:10 AM
Apr 2022
Streetplosion said:
TypicalOne said:

Fate/stay night came first so seeing saber act like a blushing normal girl is the original way she is. Plus in zero she wasn’t a vicious killer. I Hooghly reccomend playing the VN, it’s very good to amazing and blows Zero out of the water when it comes to writing

I understand she isn't a vicious killer, I was trying to convey the idea that you see her as a legendary stoic warrior in zero to then a more emotional servant in stay/night

where can I play it?
May 13, 2023 11:13 AM

Mar 2023
I found the show to be decent when i did watch it. 
May 13, 2023 11:21 AM
May 2020
TypicalOne said:
Streetplosion said:

I understand she isn't a vicious killer, I was trying to convey the idea that you see her as a legendary stoic warrior in zero to then a more emotional servant in stay/night

where can I play it?

Ah I get ya. Ye, she does feel like she was more straight to the point but remember that was mostly cuz of kiritsugu, unlike Shirou who is way less serious so she could be much more mellow.

Also here’s a link to a thread to download it: https://www.reddit.com/r/fatestaynight/comments/2r1qvl/fatestay_night_vn_installation_guide/
May 13, 2023 12:36 PM

Jan 2021
TypicalOne said:
Streetplosion said:

where can I play it?

its more of the other way around.
she is much more vicious in fsn than zero, she goes straight after masters compared to almost crying when insulted by iskandar.
Read the visual novel nerd
May 13, 2023 2:55 PM

Dec 2020
yeah it's not bad, they only added parts from other routes to make it more exciting for anime only viewers and make them give the vn a try but i feel that it didn't always work well like that weird hf ep thatkinda sucked not to mention that the animation is underwhelming even for its time. but even though it has its flaws i think it's still decent and it has a certain atmosphere that the ufotable ones lack with its soundtrack and artstyle.
May 13, 2023 3:27 PM

Aug 2020
Try not to take Fate fans seriously. They dont know what they want in an anime lol. People say the adaptation is bad just from the animation and quality of the art.

I too would say its quite faithful with some minor changes (okay, maybe Illya was a backhand to the face straight up but still not exactly main plot). They want some more monologuing or something.
RobertsahDHDAMay 13, 2023 4:00 PM
Keep scrolling
May 13, 2023 8:07 PM

Jun 2011
Whoever does is an idiot and shouldn't be taken seriously.
May 13, 2023 10:36 PM
Sep 2021
because VN adaptations are mostly bad except like steins gate
May 14, 2023 12:18 AM
Feb 2021
It’s boring, animation quality is mediocre, it mixes up the story of also the other two routes of the visual novel making in impossible for to experience the real Fate/Stay Night experience without playing the game (until Ufotable doesn’t decide to remake it), but I’m gonna say it has nice vibes. It’s 6/6.5 out of the 10 product, but it aged terribly
May 14, 2023 2:38 AM
Apr 2023
I don't think that the 2006 adaptation was bad but in may opinion abw is better because came out after f zero end maybe a new version of fate stay night of 2006 (saber route) can be a good upgrade for de anime because in the original not all the things linked with f zero end a new adaptation can fix this problem ed give the opportunity to see the first fate serie White the grafic of now
May 14, 2023 9:27 AM
Sep 2009
I think a big part of the problem is the difference in years between adaptations. As for the animation, there was a sudden change in the anime industry when it went to HD, but in its time (2006) it was a good animation, not great but good.

For me, it was one of my favorite animes when I was a teenager, I really enjoyed Shiro and Saber's relationship. I liked Zero because it fills in information about Shiro's father and Saber's hatred towards him, but I prefer Stay Night because it's the only one that has made me feel that atmosphere of mysticism, since its opening.

At the time when the anime was broadcast, access to the visual novel was very limited, due to internet connections, language, complications to install it, etc. But I can tell you that the Stay Night anime was a huge phenomenon, very popular in anime forums and conventions.

Now times have changed a lot, and with the new adaptations it's very easy to detract from the Stay Night anime, but it should not be forgotten that it was the one that laid the foundations of the franchise.
May 14, 2023 9:55 PM
Jan 2022
zckfox said:

Tbh, I don’t know which one I watched. I just see a lot of fate/stay night animes and my brain go burrrrr. When I’m trying to rewatch it idk which one to watch
May 14, 2023 10:06 PM

Jan 2017
Sara_Karma said:
When I’m trying to rewatch it idk which one to watch

– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
May 15, 2023 6:36 AM
Oct 2022
I don't wanna bring up the crappy 3d cg dragon into the argument. I guess it's fine. The ending wasn't really unexpected for me.
May 15, 2023 10:45 AM
Jan 2023
it's decent imo although if I will say one thing the only "good" episodd is the last one the others felt really rushed and I couldn't follow what was happening half the time like they were fighting shirous teacher for half of it
Aug 31, 2023 7:13 PM

May 2023
Alexioos95 said:
zckfox said:
Why do people say that the 2006 anime adaptation of fate/stay night is bad and that you shouldn't start the series from there?

- Not so good Animation. (Especially compared to what Ufotable did later)
- It does mix a bit of elements of UBW & HF in it , and spoils (or atleast strongly hints) some of the twists that are supposed to be revealed in them.
- Shirô is extremely annoying , due to his numerous monologues being cut. (Even more than in the other adaptations.)
- There is the infamous "You die when you are killed" sentence which is completely out of context , but sounds dumb.
- Terrible reputation , which leeds peoples to not even try watching it.
1) it's good enough
2) who gives a shit
3) shirou is based
4) who gives a shit
5) who gives a shit
Aug 31, 2023 7:14 PM

May 2023
Alexioos95 said:
Sara_Karma said:
When I’m trying to rewatch it idk which one to watch

Majority of this is utter garbage. Stay the fuck away, and may Type Moon burn.
Sep 5, 2023 12:27 PM
Feb 2020
I loved it and I actually prefer this route over the other two. I would have rated it higher if 1) the animation was better. 2)less cut content and more focus on saber. But as a plot I rate it higher than both heavens feel and unlimited blade works.
Nov 9, 2023 7:34 AM
Mar 2010
@Streetplosion
Ilya is alive at the end of Fate 2006, Shirou save her at the end of the show. and BDSM Sakura was confirmed to be an idea of the writer of the VN and her design was created by the chara designer of the VN.

Actually it was confirmed than Nasu Kinoko was taking part of the writing of the serie back then, he was behind the idea of mixing route.
Nov 15, 2023 6:52 AM

Jan 2017
I'm currently watching this anime and it's my first Fate series, 12 episodes done and the main character is seriously pissing me off so much.
Now I'm literally skipping the scenes whenever the asshole named Shirou Emiya comes on screen.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Nov 16, 2023 11:16 AM

Jan 2017
PirateHasan said:
Now I'm literally skipping the scenes whenever the asshole named Shirou Emiya comes on screen.

You must skip a lot then...

Fate is literally Emiya Shirô.
He's depicted a little bit better in the rest of the franchise , but he's always very divisive.
Either you love him , or you hate him. He's way more likeable in the Visual Novel tho.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Nov 16, 2023 11:18 AM

Nov 2023
They just compare the animation of both the old and new. And just bluff.
I might never be the hands you put your heart in
Or the arms that hold you any time you want them
But that don't mean that we can't live here in the moment
'Cause I can be the one you love from time to time
Nov 17, 2023 4:39 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to Alexioos95
PirateHasan said:

You must skip a lot then...

Fate is literally Emiya Shirô.
He's depicted a little bit better in the rest of the franchise , but he's always very divisive.
Either you love him , or you hate him. He's way more likeable in the Visual Novel tho.
@Alexioos95 For such a weak character, he sure talks a lot.
Also the way he treats women pisses me off, he keeps on telling Saber how she mustn't fight because she's a girl.
Nov 17, 2023 5:29 AM

Jan 2017
PirateHasan said:
For such a weak character, he sure talks a lot.

There is a lot of exposition in this Route , so yeah.
And still , he has a crazy amount of monologue in the Visual Novel , almost all cut here.

PirateHasan said:
Also the way he treats women pisses me off, he keeps on telling Saber how she mustn't fight because she's a girl.

Ah , that's a point very often raised , especially when talking about the 2006 Anime.

Since a lot of dialogues are cut , a lot of people doesn't really realize that he's basically lying to himself , and uses the "You are a girl !" only as an excuse to not admit it. (In case you did not realized , he never said anything to the other characters.)

It's an important key element playing in the development of Shirô in this Route. You should be able to understand more by watching the 2nd half of this Anime.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Nov 17, 2023 5:54 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to Alexioos95
PirateHasan said:
For such a weak character, he sure talks a lot.

There is a lot of exposition in this Route , so yeah.
And still , he has a crazy amount of monologue in the Visual Novel , almost all cut here.

PirateHasan said:

Ah , that's a point very often raised , especially when talking about the 2006 Anime.

Since a lot of dialogues are cut , a lot of people doesn't really realize that he's basically lying to himself , and uses the "You are a girl !" only as an excuse to not admit it. (In case you did not realized , he never said anything to the other characters.)

It's an important key element playing in the development of Shirô in this Route. You should be able to understand more by watching the 2nd half of this Anime.
@Alexioos95 Okay,
This give me hope!

I wasn't planning on dropping it since this franchise is pretty huge and I wanted to deep dive into this.
My only gripe is that I honestly never expected a character like Shirou to be in this.
Apr 25, 10:10 AM
Mar 2010
Reply to PirateHasan
@Alexioos95 For such a weak character, he sure talks a lot.
@PirateHasan
It's pretty clear in the show that the whole "girl's should not fight" is an excuse because he is in love with Saber and don't want her to be hurt (he even admit it before his date with her).
He can see he have no problem with Rin fighting.
And actually, if you are honest, he can admit that Saber is very weak, so he have reason to worry. especially when we see how much she is stubborn (the fact she choose to attack Caster hideout, even when Rin said it's a bad idea)

Saber would have been

Shirou can be seen as sexist but Saber is also really annoying. Actually, it's why I think they are perfect to each other,

More topics from this board

» Order

Shadow__-Monarch - May 4

23 by Alexioos95 »»
May 7, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 16, 2008

83 by FedeMetal »»
May 5, 6:50 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DaBigD - Oct 3, 2008

137 by FedeMetal »»
May 1, 6:08 PM

» VN fan are annoying as Hell

chevalierkraken - Apr 23

30 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 27, 10:20 AM

» Seriously bro

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 9

10 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 10, 4:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.