Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 6, 2023 10:11 AM
Mar 2022
Hey i just felt like checking how many people have seen or are currently caught up to the abridged version of SAO that’s on YouTube made by Something Witty Entertainment. I feel like it’s unquestionably the better version of this story and that may sound like a joke to anyone who hasn’t seen it or that only saw a few episodes but I’m completely serious. Is this a popular opinion or a hot take?

Anyway to any who love the potential that SAO had but hate the direction it took I would wholeheartedly recommend you check out the Abridged series it’s funny and, I’m my opinion, better written that the original.
May 6, 2023 10:27 AM
Jul 2020
You know, it's always easy to take a flawed story and make it better. You already have a basic plot and characters, you just need to tweak as you please to make it more funny and popular and— ta da—you now have a fanfiction which is ‘better’ than the original. Lol. Even if the original has many problems, fanfiction is fanfiction and should never be considered greater than the original. At least that's what I think. I'll take the OG SAO with its annoying flaws any day over the skit that you think is even better than the original.
May 6, 2023 10:40 AM

Sep 2018
I like it, but overall the og feels way more fleshed out. The abridged series humor mostly depends on you already seeing the og to understand the humor.
May 6, 2023 10:54 AM
Mar 2021
rohan121 said:
I like it, but overall the og feels way more fleshed out. The abridged series humor mostly depends on you already seeing the og to understand the humor.

But that’s their whole audience: people who watched SAO and were unsatisfied by how the series turned out
May 6, 2023 11:03 AM
Mar 2022
Aakash_ said:
You know, it's always easy to take a flawed story and make it better. You already have a basic plot and characters, you just need to tweak as you please to make it more funny and popular and— ta da—you now have a fanfiction which is ‘better’ than the original. Lol. Even if the original has many problems, fanfiction is fanfiction and should never be considered greater than the original. At least that's what I think. I'll take the OG SAO with its annoying flaws any day over the skit that you think is even better than the original.

I understand where you are coming from and I’m definitely not claiming that the writers for the abridged series are better than the author of the original because both of them had very different processes and disadvantages. Though I do think there is a point to be made about the final work being better.

On another point I do think that a re-write of an original work can be better there are plenty of shows and stories that achieve that so saying that it never happens is kind of dismissive.

Oh and I wouldn’t call a series with 17 episodes of 10-20 min amounting to about 5h of content a skit…..
May 6, 2023 11:09 AM

Jul 2021
SAO Abridged is what the original series was supposed to be.
And not for the jokes, but despite them.
May 6, 2023 11:13 AM
Feb 2022
i just like the show
May 6, 2023 11:13 AM

Jul 2021
Aakash_ said:

They basically rewrote the characters. I mean sure, the events roughly follow the original, they can only redraw some of it. But they gave compelling character arcs to characters, that the original didn't have.
Like come on, the motivation of the first villain is "I don't know" in the original. That's just horrible.
May 6, 2023 11:20 AM
Apr 2022
it's funny that is all
May 6, 2023 11:30 AM
Jul 2020
ReganAlv said:
Aakash_ said:

I understand where you are coming from and I’m definitely not claiming that the writers for the abridged series are better than the author of the original because both of them had very different processes and disadvantages. Though I do think there is a point to be made about the final work being better.

On another point I do think that a re-write of an original work can be better there are plenty of shows and stories that achieve that so saying that it never happens is kind of dismissive.

Oh and I wouldn’t call a series with 17 episodes of 10-20 min amounting to about 5h of content a skit…..

I'm not trying to discredit the effort the creators of the abridged series put in making the series, but I just find the comparison ludicrous. While I love both, the og and the abridged series, I can't help but feel it's a useless comparison.

Consider the og SAO as a unique art etched on a blank paper. It is new and refreshing and has a good hook, but since it's made by a novice, less experienced artist, it has glaring faults. But in spite of that, it is considerably new and a unique take. Now comes a new guy who has heard what the faults are from literally everyone. So, he decides to remove them and offers his own sardonic take. And the new guy is an instant hit because he knew what everyone wanted. But would he have been successful if he didn't have the og art to work with? Would have been still great if he started with a blank paper instead of an already good albeit flawed work?

You JUST can't compare original and derivative work. Because without the derivative story, the original's existence wouldn't be affected while the same can't be true for vice versa.
May 6, 2023 11:38 AM
Jul 2020
JaniSIr said:
Aakash_ said:

They basically rewrote the characters. I mean sure, the events roughly follow the original, they can only redraw some of it. But they gave compelling character arcs to characters, that the original didn't have.
Like come on, the motivation of the first villain is "I don't know" in the original. That's just horrible.

I mean sure. But the story still heavily depends on the OG, doesn't it?

As for the Kayaba thing, I thought he wanted to see if humans could beat ai and overcome the system by sheer willpower. Cheesy? Yes, but so is the power of friendship in every anime or the opness of MCs. You have to suspend your belief if you want to enjoy anime otherwise you won't like a single series. Not even the famous One Piece or Berserk will work for you if you don't put your brain at the door and believe what the writer is shitting.
May 6, 2023 11:43 AM

Apr 2020
SAO Abridged is literally one of the best things ever to exist. 

Honestly its not on the Level of Dragon Ball Abridged but its still good enough to play on its own. 

If you didn't like Sao it doesn't matter, SAO Abridged will be there for you. 
May 6, 2023 11:57 AM

Jul 2021
Aakash_ said:
JaniSIr said:

I mean sure. But the story still heavily depends on the OG, doesn't it?

As for the Kayaba thing, I thought he wanted to see if humans could beat ai and overcome the system by sheer willpower. Cheesy? Yes, but so is the power of friendship in every anime or the opness of MCs. You have to suspend your belief if you want to enjoy anime otherwise you won't like a single series. Not even the famous One Piece or Berserk will work for you if you don't put your brain at the door and believe what the writer is shitting.

Well duh, of course it depends on the original, it's a parody.
And we'll never know if they could do something similarly good without them actually trying, but they are only releasing like an episode of SAO:A every year, that's unlikely...
Much of the Abridged series is just silly jokes, a good portion of it poking fun at the source material, but there are also legitimately touching moments, that most professional writers can only dream of rivalling.
Derivative or not, that takes talent.

And as for your Kayaba interpretation, it's been a while since I watched the original, but I'm pretty sure you made that up.
JaniSIrMay 6, 2023 12:00 PM
May 6, 2023 1:33 PM
Mar 2023
I havent watched Sao in a while I honestly forgot wich parts are saoa and wich parts were cannon lol

i differentiate by thinking was this scene good if yes saoa if not Sao lol
May 6, 2023 1:36 PM

Jul 2021
CreativeN025 said:
I havent watched Sao in a while I honestly forgot wich parts are saoa and wich parts were cannon lol

The Abridged timeline is canon and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
May 6, 2023 1:39 PM
Mar 2023
JaniSIr said:
CreativeN025 said:

True didn't they also like bring back a couple elements from the ln what the anime skipped out?

I havent read the ln but I heard it was better than the anime
May 6, 2023 1:41 PM

Jul 2021
CreativeN025 said:
JaniSIr said:

True didn't they also like bring back a couple elements from the ln what the anime skipped out?

Idk, I didn't even finish season 1 of SAO, the abridged series is ahead of my knowledge already.
May 6, 2023 1:43 PM
Mar 2023
JaniSIr said:
CreativeN025 said:

Idk, I didn't even finish season 1 of SAO, the abridged series is ahead of my knowledge already.

yeah s1 was decent s2 was garbage and a pain to watch and s3 and s4 just scrapped the entire story and started new was decent but boring so gj on saving time
May 6, 2023 2:59 PM
Jul 2020
LTS979 said:
it's funny that is all

it's not just funny. Take the latest episode as an example, the last scene had absolutely nothing funny about it, it was actually just a great scene for the characters, that was way better handled then the "I'm in love with my brother" plot line of the original. Obviously theres gonna be things that feel cheap compared to the original but in terms of the beats it hits, the story, the jokes (mostly), continuity, and characters, it's actually really well done.
May 6, 2023 4:11 PM

Jan 2021
JaniSIr said:
CreativeN025 said:

How can something that isn't even approved by the author be canon? No, you liking it more than the original doesn't make it canon in any single way.
May 6, 2023 4:27 PM
Nov 2020
I like both the original and abridged. The original is good if I just want a mind numbing anime after a long or stressful day at work. But for storytelling and character development I prefer the abridged. Plus “Dude, I was forced to stay up for a week with literally no sleep and I accidentally created a bug that kills the player because of Bethesda’s deadline. So I just ran with it as part of some evil plan to control my own world.” is a better answer to the end of the first arc than “Pfft. I don’t remember.”
May 6, 2023 5:48 PM
Oct 2019
CreativeN025 said:
JaniSIr said:

yeah s1 was decent s2 was garbage and a pain to watch and s3 and s4 just scrapped the entire story and started new was decent but boring so gj on saving time

Sao don't have a season 4. season 3 was split in 3 cours. one of 25 EPs and 2 cour of 12 episode.
May 6, 2023 7:53 PM
Sep 2015
I'm up to date on the abridged series and find it halirous but minus second cour of SAO I enjoyed the rest and war of the underworld took me right back to why I loved season 1.After season 2 I didn't watch as it it but caught up and was obsessed again.The abridged has its place because of the dark humour and the fact its characterization is so different from the OG but if I hadn't watched the OG I don't think it would hit as hard.All in all I'm a fan of both.
May 7, 2023 1:19 PM
Mar 2023
Otakupervert890 said:
CreativeN025 said:

Sao don't have a season 4. season 3 was split in 3 cours. one of 25 EPs and 2 cour of 12 episode.

oh yeah didn't know oof

thanks for telling me so I dont look like an idiot in the future!
May 8, 2023 4:44 AM
Dec 2020
It make sugu and kirito incest arc feel bare-able

SAO Abridged i better
May 8, 2023 4:34 PM
Jun 2021
It’s better in pretty much every sense of the word short of the voice acting. Whether the humor lands or not, the story is much much better because it makes sense. The unbelievably painful plotholes that made it past production is just… sad

The original SAO was a shortstory that took off, which is why it’s so jaggy and inconsistent since the author had to build a story around a piece without a foundation.

I think the movie that came out a year or two back was fantastic though, and how it should’ve been from the start. When the plot shifts with so many loose ends like SAO over several arcs it’s just really hard to like it but there’s still room to flesh out the loose ends or just straight up retcon it. It’s a popular enough series to do so tbh
May 15, 2023 9:28 PM

Aug 2020
Just saying, the latest episode with the Suguha confrontation is just so much more well done that its quite honestly shocking.
Keep scrolling
May 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Apr 2019
Dinxama said:
It make sugu and kirito incest arc feel bare-able

SAO Abridged i better

From what I understood, the way sugu feels is better told in the novel and is actually not incestuous. However, I agree abridged is better, story wise and character wise
May 23, 2023 2:11 PM

Apr 2019
Aakash_ said:
ReganAlv said:

I'm not trying to discredit the effort the creators of the abridged series put in making the series, but I just find the comparison ludicrous. While I love both, the og and the abridged series, I can't help but feel it's a useless comparison.

Consider the og SAO as a unique art etched on a blank paper. It is new and refreshing and has a good hook, but since it's made by a novice, less experienced artist, it has glaring faults. But in spite of that, it is considerably new and a unique take. Now comes a new guy who has heard what the faults are from literally everyone. So, he decides to remove them and offers his own sardonic take. And the new guy is an instant hit because he knew what everyone wanted. But would he have been successful if he didn't have the og art to work with? Would have been still great if he started with a blank paper instead of an already good albeit flawed work?

You JUST can't compare original and derivative work. Because without the derivative story, the original's existence wouldn't be affected while the same can't be true for vice versa.

You're confusing two very different questions here.
Is it easier to create something based on an existing work ? Of course it is.
Is it relevant in determining which one is better ? No, it isn't.
You have two end results, and abridged is just a better refined version, which makes it better.
Whether one relies on the other to exist isn't relevant in any way
Dec 16, 2023 5:27 PM
Aug 2022
As far as I'm concerned, SAO Abridged is a more entertaining work than Season 1 of the original. And how the Abridged series handled Suguha's feelings for Kirito was simply brilliant. SWE could have taken the easy way out and completely ditch all the creepy incest related scenes in the Fairy Dance arc. But they went above and beyond and recontextualized them in a way that right now has made SAO Abridged far better than your typical parody series.
Jan 23, 10:44 AM

Jun 2021
Pure cringe. Abridged Kirito's "how dare you make me care about them" monologue is pure, unadulterated pandering to atheists, agnostics and closeted nihilists. The constant casual swearing, the unfuny jokes and the sense of superiority that SWE has for 'parodying' SAO is supreme. They're so full of themselves and their pro-liberal agenda. The novels are a 1/10 the anime also for containing too much sexual assalut. But the Abridged is a -10/10 for being one of the trashiest Abrigeds of all time. I regret giving it audience but some people have to do it in order to rate it low. @SomethingWittyEntertainment is garbage and everything they produce also.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
Yesterday, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.