Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 5, 2023 2:05 PM
Dec 2020
(SPOILER) In my opinion this anime didn't deserve to have more than 14 episodes, I loved the SAO arc but after they go back to the real world and go into the other game in the last 11 episodes I almost fell asleep because it was so boring to watch, I dropped the second one season after watching 10 eps and I almost died of boredom with that fps game they introduced into the story
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 5, 2023 2:09 PM

Jun 2021
Nope. Even though the Fairy Dance sucked (just remove the sexual assault and it becomes fine). Mother's Rosario and Alicization make it worth it so it shouldn't have ended with the Aincrad.

P.S. Asuna best girl.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

May 5, 2023 2:11 PM

Sep 2018
I would not dismiss all the other arcs since 1 was not as liked.  Each arc needs to be judged individually.  Underworld is extremely different.  
May 5, 2023 2:26 PM
Feb 2021
It should have stopped before even starting tbh
May 5, 2023 2:28 PM
Nov 2021
I agree with episode 14 being the end because I watched the other seasons and movies and they were boring and I tried watching them again but couldn't
May 5, 2023 2:37 PM
Sep 2022
Actually, you are wrong. It should have ended at episode 11 or 12 (cant remember when exacly they were able to leave the game)
May 5, 2023 2:52 PM
Jun 2021
These options suck. Im glad SAO continued. I still love each arc till this day, and Underworld definitely turned it up a notch.
May 5, 2023 3:00 PM

Jul 2015
Facts.
Aincard seems to be the only good part of SAO (maybe with an exception of first half of Alicization) and even author seems to be aware of that by milking it with his Progressive series.
Quality drop after first arc might not be as bad as Promised Neverland level, but it is close.
PiromyslMay 5, 2023 3:06 PM

May 5, 2023 3:02 PM
Sep 2014
Yeah, pretty much the larger, general consensus. Don't take it from these nerds in the Miniscule Minority that is MAL, SAO Season 1 when it was fresh was like the greatest thing, and it fell off a cliff immediately. Shoulda left it at 24 and dragged Episodes 1-14 out into 24 episodes, throw in them escaping the VR game and thats that. I agree.
May 5, 2023 3:19 PM

Jul 2021
So, it can only either become a very bad mess or get much better?

Even when I agree that the aincrad arc is the best amongst them, although it should've been better made so that progressive would not have been necessary, to say that it would've been better for nothing else to come out after it is a bit much.

To this day I don't get why some people despise season 2 so rabidly. Those two arcs are by no means masterpieces, but they aren't bad either.
May 5, 2023 4:04 PM
Dec 2021
I would say they should have removed second part of season 1 and gun gale arc and the anime would have been fine
May 5, 2023 4:17 PM

Jul 2011
Would have been better to just stayed in SAO.
May 5, 2023 4:23 PM
Jan 2021
Nah, the way to view SAO is like you play a good game but there are a end game content. I think it’s worth it. But it’s gonna get hate regardless, so it is what it is. I’m glad there was more to it.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
May 5, 2023 4:49 PM
Sep 2021
my opinion, first season is great.. gun arc is so bad then the rest redeems itself. I loved all of SAO apart from gun arc
May 5, 2023 4:52 PM
Jan 2021
season one is my fave, season two is my least fave, season 3 and 4 are second and third fave, sao is my fave anime
May 5, 2023 5:11 PM
Dec 2020
É said:
Actually, you are wrong. It should have ended at episode 11 or 12 (cant remember when exacly they were able to leave the game)
They manage to get out of the game exactly in episode 14
May 5, 2023 5:26 PM
Jan 2022
I actually liked the alicilization: war of the underworld a whole lot
May 5, 2023 5:27 PM
Feb 2022
Kazu-chan-san said:
Nope. Even though the Fairy Dance sucked (just remove the sexual assault and it becomes fine). Mother's Rosario and Alicization make it worth it so it shouldn't have ended with the Aincrad.

P.S. Asuna best girl.

Asuna best girl indeed.
May 5, 2023 5:31 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Yeah I’m inclined to agree - with the caveat that they should have stretched it out and made it more interesting (e.g. no jumping 20 levels at a time).

After S1 this anime really went downhill for me.
May 5, 2023 7:30 PM

Apr 2022
thought it's a mess episode 2 onwards. but alicization made up for it, so much better than both the first 2 seasons and gun gale online as well.
May 5, 2023 7:39 PM
Aug 2022
I disagree. If you can manage to survive the first 2 seasons then SAO actually gets pretty decent. But I also totally don’t blame people who shit on it or couldn’t get past seasons 1&2
May 5, 2023 7:40 PM
Dec 2021
Season 1 in the 1st half is good
the 2nd half of it is iffy, but it has moments
Season 2 picks it back up, the 1st half is good (minus the Calibur Arc) The 2nd half of it is an emotional rollercoaster, PEAK SAO
Ordinal Scale builds up for what's to come!
Season 3: Alicization changes everything the series has to offer!
Especially War of Underworld, it's got BEST MOMENTS, INSANE CHOREOGRAPHY you'll ever see in anime in your life!
May 5, 2023 8:02 PM
Dec 2021
If you like the suspense of the first arc, then you will love the next arc… if it gets animated
May 5, 2023 8:48 PM
Apr 2022
Although SAO drops in quality after the first initial arc, it picks back up with war of underworld and is even better than the initial episodes
May 5, 2023 9:34 PM
Feb 2023
I agree with your opinion that the anime was a mess after the sao arc and gun gale online was also trash... But I completed the series and I'm glad that I did because the alicization arc was literally awesome and was not boring at all... If anyone dropped the anime bcoz' of the last 11 episodes of season 1 or bcoz' of the ggo arc, I recommend them to continue the series and bear it till alicization, after that you'll be attached to your screen till the end...

(This is my personal opinion, if anyone agrees with it, it's all well and good and if someone doesn't, sorry but it's just a personal openion from my side)

edited : forgot to write about the movies...
they are good, at the very least better then
ggo and has got many moments that'll
cover up for all the mess made in ggo...
mario_db24May 5, 2023 9:39 PM
May 5, 2023 9:50 PM
Feb 2023
IhnalakoKaina said:

Even when I agree that the aincrad arc is the best amongst them, although it should've been better made so that progressive would not have been necessary, to say that it would've been better for nothing else to come out after it is a bit much.

To this day I don't get why some people despise season 2 so rabidly. Those two arcs are by no means masterpieces, but they aren't bad either.

It's not about being utter trash... It's just that when the first half of a series is too good, the expectations from the later half of the season or the next season are really high and if those expectations are not satisfied, it feels really trashy...
I'm not saying that anyone should drop the series bcoz' of this reason***

(For example – If you've watched the Harry Potter series and then continued watching the wizarding world's fantastic beasts, you'll feel like what a complete mess it was but maybe it was good effort from the creator's side)

*** –
One more thing, It's a habit of mine to complete the series that I start watching and I'm glad that I have this habit because the alicization arc especially the war of underworld was really engaging....
May 5, 2023 10:52 PM
Feb 2022
I have dropped 2nd season 3-4 times but in the end finished it very painfully. Then when Alicization started it was really good but with some cringe moments but I still loved the Alicization arc and the rest.

(sorry for poor English)
May 5, 2023 10:57 PM

Apr 2021
Jo_Liedson said:
(SPOILER) In my opinion this anime didn't deserve to have more than 14 episodes, I loved the SAO arc but after they go back to the real world and go into the other game in the last 11 episodes I almost fell asleep because it was so boring to watch, I dropped the second one season after watching 10 eps and I almost died of boredom with that fps game they introduced into the story

So you didn’t like the series, why make a forum post to complain and whine, just rate it according to your opinion and move on.

It’s not like you are giving contrastive criticism that would significantly improve the anime series, now that would be worth a new post.

Personally, I really do not understand your’s or other’s aversion to this anime series, the movies, or the spin off(s).

It is not the best ever and sure there are things that could have been done better, but overall it is just a fun series with good characters. None of the arcs are that bad to be called “boring” and the entire series was fun to watch.

Even the new SAO movies are fun to watch. The first movie changed some things that happened in the original, which is interesting, whether it is another universe or ret-coning the series, I don’t know.

I’m now waiting for the next movie to see what happens as well.
ejleonMay 5, 2023 11:50 PM
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

May 5, 2023 11:49 PM

Apr 2021
mario_db24 said:
IhnalakoKaina said:

It's not about being utter trash... It's just that when the first half of a series is too good, the expectations from the later half of the season or the next season are really high and if those expectations are not satisfied, it feels really trashy...
I'm not saying that anyone should drop the series bcoz' of this reason***

(For example – If you've watched the Harry Potter series and then continued watching the wizarding world's fantastic beasts, you'll feel like what a complete mess it was but maybe it was good effort from the creator's side)

*** –
One more thing, It's a habit of mine to complete the series that I start watching and I'm glad that I have this habit because the alicization arc especially the war of underworld was really engaging....

I also have the habit of finishing an anime series entirely when I start it. I really don’t think dropping a series before it is ends is fair to the creators.

I’m glad I did this. There are some anime series that start off well, but change later on, ruining the series in my opinion. While other anime series do not have such a good start, but later become better as they go on.

A comment on developing “expectations” …

I can understand hoping a second half, second season, or sequel to be as good as the first, but why would you “expect” it to be as good, just because the first is good?

There really is no guarantee that the second part will be as good as the first, so it is building up a false expectation for the second part, which causes you to hate it even more if it does not reach the level of your own personal expectation.

This is also not really fair, the writer didn’t build that “expectation” in you, but his work gets criticized even harsher than if you had just watched the series without any expectations.

For example:

I really enjoyed the original trilogy of the Star Wars series.

When the prequel trilogy came out, even though it was still by Lucas, I did not “expect” them to be as good as the first, I did hope that they were good though, and fortunately they were fun to watch.

When the sequel trilogy came out, not having Lucas and being by Disney, I did not have much hope that it would be good, but I didn’t expect them
to be as awful as they were, it ruined the end to the entire Star Wars universe.

(I just pretend it is an alternate universe than the original two trilogies 😂)

Anyways, I think to be fair it is good to just watch a series openly, without building false expectations, to properly judge the quality of an anime series.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

May 6, 2023 12:02 AM
Jul 2022
I mean I understand where you're coming from, but the best arc in my opinion was the most recent one. Although, that might be because Kirito spent most of it in a wheelchair and not involved but still lol
May 6, 2023 12:07 AM
Jun 2021
ejleon said:
Jo_Liedson said:

So you didn’t like the series, why make a forum post to complain and whine, just rate it according to your opinion and move on.

It’s not like you are giving contrastive criticism that would significantly improve the anime series, now that would be worth a new post.

Personally, I really do not understand your’s or other’s aversion to this anime series, the movies, or the spin off(s).

It is not the best ever and sure there are things that could have been done better, but overall it is just a fun series with good characters. None of the arcs are that bad to be called “boring” and the entire series was fun to watch.

Even the new SAO movies are fun to watch. The first movie changed some things that happened in the original, which is interesting, whether it is another universe or ret-coning the series, I don’t know.

I’m convinced some ppl just hate SAO bc others dislike it. This isn’t for everyone bc everyone is gonna dislike and like something, but I’m positive this goes for some ppl.
May 6, 2023 12:29 AM
Jul 2018
You can laugh at me but I was having a blast watching season 2. It's one of my favs
May 6, 2023 12:36 AM
Dec 2021
Just remove the sexual assault from Fairy dance arc and it’s aight. Second half of season two and alicization was great imo so don’t let one bad apple spoil the bunch
May 6, 2023 12:40 AM
Aug 2022
Kazu-chan-san said:

P.S. Asuna best girl.

what is the full form of P.S?
May 6, 2023 12:41 AM

Apr 2021
SnowHelation said:
ejleon said:

I’m convinced some ppl just hate SAO bc others dislike it. This isn’t for everyone bc everyone is gonna dislike and like something, but I’m positive this goes for some ppl.

I fully agree with your analysis on the situation. I call these people the crowd follows that are herded along like mindless gullible sheep, adopting what others say, because they can’t think for themselves.

I also agree that everyone is free to like or dislike anime, that’s what the rating system is for, to express your own personal opinion.

Unfortunately the MAL rating system is so full of crowd followers that it is untrustworthy. I think they are genuinely good anime that are rated low, while other bad anime are ranked higher for some strange reason. It is really sad that I cannot use that rating system to know whether an anime is good or not.

May 6, 2023 12:58 AM

Jun 2021
K_Abhishek said:
Kazu-chan-san said:

P.S. Asuna best girl.

what is the full form of P.S?
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/postscript
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

May 6, 2023 12:59 AM
Feb 2021
except gungale crap which shows sinon, i liked all SAO franchise

where ever Asuna premieres i simp for her <3
May 6, 2023 1:25 AM
Oct 2022
Jo_Liedson said:

Brother, did u watch the Alicization arc? It's amazing and it's the only reason it should have continued after ep 14
May 6, 2023 1:26 AM
Oct 2022
Kudzio said:

that's ep 14, SAO has a weird schedule regarding arcs
May 6, 2023 1:38 AM
May 2022
YES, I think that I was the only one who thought this. I loved so much SAO arc but after this arc, there are just a little link with "SAO".i think after that, the name of the anime have no sense.
May 6, 2023 1:58 AM
Mar 2023
Me and my friends all agree that they should’ve done more in the Aincrad Arc particularly a much larger season rather than the 14 episodes we were given. Yeah the later arcs were ok; Alicization, and Mother’s Rosario, and even Phantom Bullet on the lower rank, but nothing competes with the first half of Season One.

Alicization seemed like a good return to what made season one kick for its first half but really falls off with the War of Underworld sequel. Rather wish they just did more episodes for Aincrad in general with the Manga and Show being dubbed “Sword Art Online” and all.
BronzeTorchMay 7, 2023 2:55 AM
May 6, 2023 2:20 AM
Jul 2022
i say season 1 was good but rest is trash.
May 6, 2023 2:21 AM
Oct 2022
Yes , they should have ended it with 14 episodes , the next arc was pretty fine of they have not add extra drama or sexual assault... and in next seasons they turned it into a complete boring mess
May 6, 2023 2:25 AM
Feb 2021
One Should Host the Poll with the Title of, "Sword Art Online is the worst anime to exist" or Redo of Healer, Ex Arm or other anime like that is better than Sword Art Online". In that event, I wouldn't be surprised people voting yes on SAO is the worst anime or Redo, Ex Arm are exponentially better than SAO. I mean common MAL user has already given the tag to SAO as worst anime ever to exist which shouldn't have been written or animated. On top of that World really revolves around MAL users who are Hardcore & full time SAO haters.
May 6, 2023 2:34 AM

Jan 2023
Personally I really like SAO, but I think its sad that they decided to cut what I think is key moments in the light novels. Mostly the scenes where it actually hints to how everything is connected, with small things that seems out of place. Also I think its sad we didn't get the complete scope of Sinins background, since after i read the books I got a completely different understanding.
May 6, 2023 3:16 AM

Apr 2021
bezardo said:
except gungale crap which shows sinon, i liked all SAO franchise

where ever Asuna premieres i simp for her <3

The Gun Gale spin off is not bad at all, loosen up

May 6, 2023 3:26 AM

Apr 2021
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
One Should Host the Poll with the Title of, "Sword Art Online is the worst anime to exist" or Redo of Healer, Ex Arm or other anime like that is better than Sword Art Online". In that event, I wouldn't be surprised people voting yes on SAO is the worst anime or Redo, Ex Arm are exponentially better than SAO. I mean common MAL user has already given the tag to SAO as worst anime ever to exist which shouldn't have been written or animated. On top of that World really revolves around MAL users who are Hardcore & full time SAO haters.

So you just follow the crowd … can’t think for yourself?

I saw SAO & Redo Healer, both were enjoyable in their own way.

I’m going to watch Ex-Arm because you mentioned it, but if it is not better than SAO, I’m going to tell you.

However, comparing anime in this way is unfair, they each should be judged as their own story.
ejleonMay 6, 2023 3:30 AM

May 6, 2023 3:31 AM
Feb 2021
ejleon said:
Abysmal_Saint76 said:

I’m going to watch Ex-Arm because you mentioned it, but if it is not better than SAO, I’m going to tell you.

However, comparing anime in this way is unfair, they each should be judged as their own story.

I am just being sarcastic because you know in a good & bad SAO poll hosted in MAL is always topped by whichever is bad & trashes on SAO because MAL crowd have already proclaimed SAO as worst ever anime to exist.

Myself is a huge SAO fan
May 6, 2023 4:36 AM

Jul 2021
I consider only the Abridged timeline canon.
May 6, 2023 5:34 AM

Apr 2021
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
ejleon said:

I am just being sarcastic because you know in a good & bad SAO poll hosted in MAL is always topped by whichever is bad & trashes on SAO because MAL crowd have already proclaimed SAO as worst ever anime to exist.

Myself is a huge SAO fan

I understand. Thanks for explaining.
I don’t really trust any MAL rating systems anymore.
I just watch what I want and rate it however what I want based on how I think it was.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
Yesterday, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.