Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

[spoiler] About the "plot holes" and some others things that happened with the series [/spoiler]

New
May 5, 2023 5:57 AM
Aug 2021
This has been annoying me everywhere I go but the for clarification the "plot hole" is that Kanade would've of died after Otonashi because she got his heart donation and somehow it's implied you go to the afterlife right after you die

- When was this ever implied? The only thing implying this is the fact people thought that (If it's in the manga then that came out after so my point stands)
- If Otonashi had never been brought to the afterlife Kanade would've been in an even worse position the Otonashi was at the end, but thanks to the OVA it's pretty clear he had to stay to find a successor for the student council president - the whole place is made to overcome regrets so bringing someone else in to get rid of someone else's regrets makes complete sense
- I wish I could find it but a comment on a review I watched mentioned Japanese folklore or something like that, that was directly related to the ending

There's that whole Otonashi was the programmer theory which also makes me want to bring up the fact of it felt rushed for people who don't know what happened. Originally it was 2 cours then the budget got cut in half (which the director wasn't happy about, hope he's never read a negative review on this show) so we got half the anime we should of, then they tried doing a visual novel series - 1st Beat came out sometime in the mid 2010s (recently translators made an english patch) then we've forever been on an indefinite hiatus....

(Side note: I've seen people say the ending of Clannad AS was forced as if it wasn't for shadowed throughout the entire show, ?)

Another "plot hole" at the end is Kanade remembering "My Song". This has 2 simple answers and shouldn't have been regarded as a plot hole either
- The song was ingrained in her soul (or something like that), like how you can just start humming random melodies that aren't songs
- Iwasawa could have also reincarnated and made the song (once again with it ingrained in her soul or something)

I think these are meant to be ambiguous due to the cut stuff otherwise it would've actually felt like a badly rushed show.

But yeah good luck convincing me these are plot holes or maybe there's other "plot holes" 
May 5, 2023 6:20 AM

Jan 2021
I'm pretty sure most of the audience has no problems with these two 'plot holes', even if they're considered so. They're used well in the story to strike a chord with the viewers, most people don't even think about that.
Even if someone is nitpicking, it's because other things in the show didn't appeal to them. Let them be.
May 5, 2023 6:21 AM
Sep 2021
the show has bad writing, extremely messy plot, huge cast and most suck, laughable emotional manipulation, and other stupid shit like how the premise doesn't make sense even with its own rules
May 5, 2023 6:39 AM

Jul 2015
If you are asking about inconsistency of timeline, then it is pretty clear, that Otonashi entered the afterlife way before Kaede, but was an NPC before gaining self awareness at the start of the series. Notice his generic, brown uniform.
And Otonashi was sent to The School because he still had lingering regrets regarding his sister.
There is a lot of room for theorist. I believe, that according to what that Unnamed Student said, Otonashi was indeed The Programmer and story runs in circles.
PiromyslMay 5, 2023 6:42 AM

May 5, 2023 7:19 AM

Jan 2017
WiblurFootIA said:
This has been annoying me everywhere I go but the for clarification the "plot hole" is that Kanade would've of died after Otonashi because she got his heart donation and somehow it's implied you go to the afterlife right after you die

- When was this ever implied? The only thing implying this is the fact people thought that (If it's in the manga then that came out after so my point stands)
- If Otonashi had never been brought to the afterlife Kanade would've been in an even worse position the Otonashi was at the end, but thanks to the OVA it's pretty clear he had to stay to find a successor for the student council president - the whole place is made to overcome regrets so bringing someone else in to get rid of someone else's regrets makes complete sense
- I wish I could find it but a comment on a review I watched mentioned Japanese folklore or something like that, that was directly related to the ending

There's that whole Otonashi was the programmer theory which also makes me want to bring up the fact of it felt rushed for people who don't know what happened. Originally it was 2 cours then the budget got cut in half (which the director wasn't happy about, hope he's never read a negative review on this show) so we got half the anime we should of, then they tried doing a visual novel series - 1st Beat came out sometime in the mid 2010s (recently translators made an english patch) then we've forever been on an indefinite hiatus....

(Side note: I've seen people say the ending of Clannad AS was forced as if it wasn't for shadowed throughout the entire show, ?)

Another "plot hole" at the end is Kanade remembering "My Song". This has 2 simple answers and shouldn't have been regarded as a plot hole either
- The song was ingrained in her soul (or something like that), like how you can just start humming random melodies that aren't songs
- Iwasawa could have also reincarnated and made the song (once again with it ingrained in her soul or something)

I think these are meant to be ambiguous due to the cut stuff otherwise it would've actually felt like a badly rushed show.

But yeah good luck convincing me these are plot holes or maybe there's other "plot holes" 

In afterlife temporal rules don't exist, is not an earthly 'place', that's proved when they tell you there's a ninja from centuries in the past. So being nitpicking about who died when is worthless. Besides, being Angel Beats a series that takes a lot of influence from major West TV show 'Lost', which didn't want to give too many answers so let the spectators think, I reached the conclusion that Otonashi arrived Afterlife despite he didn't died unsatisfied because his soul was 'summoned' by his heart, this is, Kanade's heart. This is obviously my hypothesis, and it's not confirmed along the series.
So no, there ain't no plot holes, and if people keep thinking that in 2023 is bc they didnt pay enough attention.
May 5, 2023 7:50 AM
Feb 2022
As recently confirmed in The Heaven Burns Red X Angel Beats event there is a inbetween thing from dying and going to the afterlife. I believe that Otonashi might have just been there for an extended period of time delaying his arrival to the Afterlife.
May 5, 2023 8:04 AM

Dec 2020
WiblurFootIA said:

I mean we're never told outright that when people die, they immediately go over to the other side. Perhaps, that's an explanation. If we look at it from a non-linear time perspective, it could be the case. Maybe ti's explained more in the Vn?
"Did you forget already? In my word the color "red" doesn't exist. These must be...my tears. Ever since I woke up from my coma...I think I've been waiting for this very moment. You'd do well to remember this, Maya. The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over."
(Ace Attorney T&T: Bridge to the Turnabout)
"I'm my worst critic." (Kendrick Lamar)
May 5, 2023 9:22 AM
Aug 2021
Yeah, these replies (minus the ones who don't have taste and/or use that stupid emotional manipulation argument) are almost exactly what I thought. They either hated the show anyway or overthinked but not to the point where they realized the error in their overthinking.
May 5, 2023 9:56 AM
Feb 2022
i just like the show
May 5, 2023 10:28 AM
Feb 2022
Bruh people care about these little things??? idc i just enjoyed the show it was very well written at least for me.

May 5, 2023 10:54 AM

Nov 2010
Wish they finished the VN series 🙁

All Key anime are good but the VN's where just superior.

Angel beats was an original and then they started working on a VN series but i can't find much (if any) news on it and what's happening.
May 13, 2023 7:57 PM
Dec 2021
I personally questioned this at first. however people talk about "lost" or "wondering" souls in so many different cultures. so I don't see why it can't be said that his soul took longer to get there.
May 15, 2023 2:49 AM
Aug 2021
kickthebucket said:
Wish they finished the VN series 🙁

All Key anime are good but the VN's where just superior.

Angel beats was an original and then they started working on a VN series but i can't find much (if any) news on it and what's happening.
I'm still holding onto hope cause they never official cancelled them but god that's wishful thinking on my part, key haven't said a word about it since. 1st Beat is still worth playing though (explores the world more and fleshes out some characters as well)
May 15, 2023 9:41 AM

Dec 2021
Everything Jun Maeda has written is beyond appalling just more redeemable than the Shit 3 and Attack on Trash

Angel Beats is an ersatz of Haibane Renmei
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
May 15, 2023 3:54 PM

Feb 2019
but the real question is " is this show an isekai show"?
Aug 16, 2023 9:31 AM

Dec 2021
This is a Haibane Renmei ripoff and you know how terrible Jun Maeda writes so it is quite expected
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 2, 2010

677 by copypasterCPS »»
May 13, 11:31 AM

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Apr 29, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.