Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 1, 2023 10:31 AM
Jan 2022
It seems like everyone is treating going out at night as a major issue, almost like a crime. It’s enough of a problem that it’s been the major source of tension for the cast so far, despite both MCs being high schoolers as well as suffering from insomnia. I understand that Japanese culture is a lot stricter with the treatment of children and teenagers, but I figured

I still really like the show, and the chemistry between Nakami and Magari is great. But this point just seems to keep reoccurring and taking away from the romance and general vibes of the show. Am I over focused on it?
May 1, 2023 10:54 AM

Sep 2017
Yeah, there was the same problem with Call of the Night, another anime where a middleschooler wandered around at night and at some point in the story, he had to avoid policemen because he couldn't get caught

I don't know if that's the same in real life Japan, and if it is I don't see why it's like that
Japan has to be one of the safest country in the world so it shouldn't be dangerous to go out at night, even if you're young

It's not unusual in my country for teens to wander around at night (mostly in cities), that's why I'm indeed kinda surprised how strict the rules in Japan seem to be
May 1, 2023 11:03 AM
Oct 2022
it seems more logical the way it is, having club activities isn't a good excuse to be out after midnight, they can do their activites an hour or so after sundown not necessarily that late, maybe in case of an event like a meteor shower they might have an adult like their senpai be with them.
I don't think this takes away from the show since they still get to experience the starry sky together from the school rooftop with nobody aroud, which is honestly dream-like to experience
May 1, 2023 11:06 AM
Mar 2021
I just recently knew that the Japanese highschooler has a very strict 'unwritten law' about wandering out at night.

I feel that this shouldn't be the spotlight of the episode's plot. It's kinda distracted the hype of Nakami taking pictures at night.
May 1, 2023 11:21 AM

Jul 2015
Japanese discipline in a nutshell.
They take truancy very seriously.

May 1, 2023 12:17 PM
Jan 2018
Think the curfew for minors is 10 pm or 11 pm.
May 1, 2023 12:50 PM
Ejさま
Jan 2017
It's not overblown. It's the Japanese rule of the night. Minors are to be in the house by 10 or 11pm. They won't go to jail, but it's the rule sort of thing. You'll get into trouble if you are out at night as a minor. Both this and call of the night are realistic. You may get the cops called on you if you are out at night as a minor in Japan
Ej사마
May 1, 2023 12:52 PM
Ejさま
Jan 2017
Damuzen said:
Yeah, there was the same problem with Call of the Night, another anime where a middleschooler wandered around at night and at some point in the story, he had to avoid policemen because he couldn't get caught

I don't know if that's the same in real life Japan, and if it is I don't see why it's like that
Japan has to be one of the safest country in the world so it shouldn't be dangerous to go out at night, even if you're young

It's not unusual in my country for teens to wander around at night (mostly in cities), that's why I'm indeed kinda surprised how strict the rules in Japan seem to be

It's realistic. Minors in Japan have a curfew
Ej사마
May 1, 2023 12:52 PM
Apr 2023
Piromysl said:

I dont think truancy is considered here when we speak about staying out late, as they arent skipping school, but it does have to do with the curfew for minors
May 1, 2023 12:55 PM

Jul 2015
AshIsConfused said:
Piromysl said:

I dont think truancy is considered here when we speak about staying out late, as they arent skipping school, but it does have to do with the curfew for minors

Juveniles violating the curfew is the same type of issue, which would be handled by the authorities in the same way.
PiromyslMay 1, 2023 5:03 PM

May 1, 2023 1:56 PM
Jan 2022
Jya_Asiaboo_sama said:
It's not overblown. It's the Japanese rule of the night. Minors are to be in the house by 10 or 11pm. They won't go to jail, but it's the rule sort of thing. You'll get into trouble if you are out at night as a minor. Both this and call of the night are realistic. You may get the cops called on you if you are out at night as a minor in Japan

Yeah I get that it’s accurate, but for the sake of the plot, it only gets in the way. At least with Call of the Night, the night is meant to be seen as dangerous partly bc of the vampires, so it makes sense to reinforce that Kou is breaking the law when he’s out and about.

For this story though, the opposition to going out at night only makes everyone else out to seem uncaring about the plight of Nakami and Magami. It almost seems like a running gag: “You can’t go outside at night. Oh, you can’t sleep? Too bad, work out or something, idc.” It’s why I sympathize with Nakami calling the teacher an a**hole, bc it’s entirely unfair. It’d be one thing if that’s meant to be the point, but it’s not really since the story is more focused on the romance and stargazing than on society’s disdain with insomnia.

TL;DR: just because it’s accurate doesn’t mean it makes sense to repeatedly shame the MCs for breaking the curfew.
May 1, 2023 2:13 PM
Ejさま
Jan 2017
I get what you're saying, but the artist is Japanese. They were raised in live in Japan, most likely. So most like that's all they really know. They only did what made sense, just like if you were from America writing a manga, you'd put things that the Japanese people think you shouldn't do, but your gonna do it, cause it's how it actually is. I guess to each his own, but personally, I think it's fine since, in reality, it'd be the same, but we have our own opinions, I was just trying to answer so it made sense lol
Ej사마
May 1, 2023 2:53 PM
Oct 2017
rakhahaykal said:
I just recently knew that the Japanese highschooler has a very strict 'unwritten law' about wandering out at night.

I feel that this shouldn't be the spotlight of the episode's plot. It's kinda distracted the hype of Nakami taking pictures at night.

I think it doesn't distract from the story. If anything, it adds tension and forces the bonding of the characters since they have to cooperate and hide together.
May 1, 2023 3:21 PM
Aug 2020
I already felt in love since ep 1 and I’m reading the manga (ch92).

It’s interesting to see that they are not afraid to talk about insomnia…

Nakami and Magari, they are getting closer and closer, my heart was enjoying the last scene.
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
May 1, 2023 4:00 PM
Mar 2021
japan especially in cities like Tokyo frowns upon it and schools could expel if they wanted but cops would take them home most likely cause even in America kids have curfews just not as strict at schools
May 1, 2023 5:08 PM

Oct 2019
RomanRonin said:
It’d be one thing if that’s meant to be the point, but it’s not really since the story is more focused on the romance and stargazing than on society’s disdain with insomnia.
Do you realize the show that we're talking about here is called "Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia" right?
And I'm pretty sure the show has managed to portray the issue in less than 3 episodes so that we can move on to develop the story.
Take it like this, insomnia is the trigger that made Isaki and Ganta met. So, after they met, then what? Of course, they wouldn't suddenly be cured of their 'illness' just because the author decides that they would fall for each other or something. Or because they are now in the Astronomy Club, they are justified to do anything they want because they are insomniacs in a club that needs to go out at night. 

If you feel upset or disturbed by how society is portrayed when reacting to kids having insomnia, then congrats! You have shared Ganta's sentiment on the matter. And I'm pretty sure that is how the author intends to do; not just to make the viewers/readers get all warm and fuzzy because of the pair, but also to share their grief and pain. If that isn't a masterpiece-worthy kind of writing, I don't know what is.

But if you want to make a political statement on Japan's decision on curfew, because of freedom and stuff, then I have nothing more to say on the matter.
May 1, 2023 6:20 PM
May 2020
Damuzen said:

I mean the thing is, even if it is one of the safest, there are still threats out there which is why curfews exist
May 1, 2023 11:58 PM

Apr 2021
RomanRonin said:
It seems like everyone is treating going out at night as a major issue, almost like a crime. It’s enough of a problem that it’s been the major source of tension for the cast so far, despite both MCs being high schoolers as well as suffering from insomnia. I understand that Japanese culture is a lot stricter with the treatment of children and teenagers, but I figured

I still really like the show, and the chemistry between Nakami and Magari is great. But this point just seems to keep reoccurring and taking away from the romance and general vibes of the show. Am I over focused on it?

I don’t think it’s a problem, it is part of the story and episode plot.

Whether we think it’s fair or not is not really the issue.

I suggest following the anime, instead of forcing our own opinions on it.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

May 2, 2023 1:38 AM

Sep 2015
The wellbeing of children is the responsibility of parents in most part of the world.

This directly means if kids encounter harm while going out at night without adults, it falls under the negligence of parents because they can’t watch over them while sleeping.

Unless you’re in some part of the world where parents can’t wait to kick their kids out after 18 like animal and anything about their kids is not their problem, then going out at night wouldn’t be an issue.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
May 2, 2023 2:12 PM
Apr 2023
not only at japan, children not going outside at night is common sense.

it's dangerous, and children can get affected by adult nightlife.

More topics from this board

» English Dub???

ANIk_003 - May 14

16 by MrBoomTop10Anime »»
May 20, 4:00 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - May 15, 2023

104 by winsonkeren »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

» So… still nothing about season 2?

A-lil-weeb-dog - Feb 8

17 by saketsahu »»
Apr 26, 2:26 AM

» Anyone else want to try out astrophotography after watching this?

D-A-W - Apr 13

1 by kartik111 »»
Apr 24, 11:24 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jun 19, 2023

147 by D-A-W »»
Apr 12, 12:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.