Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 24, 2023 2:24 PM

Feb 2021
What's the difference between this and this?

They both are "When They Cry", but are completely different. Thanks in advance.

"๐˜๐˜ฆ๐˜บ, ๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ช... ๐˜•๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ต ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ, ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ข ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ."
โป๐˜•๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ข ๐˜–๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ช
Apr 24, 2023 2:27 PM

Jun 2016
Different series made by the same guys. There is a further connection but revealing its nature is kinda spoilery.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 24, 2023 2:29 PM

Feb 2021
Theo1899 said:
Different series made by the same guys. There is a further connection but revealing its nature is kinda spoilery.

Should I watch them both or just read the manga for them? Which do you think is better assuming you've done both?

"๐˜๐˜ฆ๐˜บ, ๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ช... ๐˜•๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ต ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ, ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ข ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ."
Apr 24, 2023 2:32 PM

Jun 2016
ScuzzyBear said:
Theo1899 said:

Should I watch them both or just read the manga for them? Which do you think is better assuming you've done both?

The Higurashi anime is good. The visual novel has a lot of extra shit though if you are interested.
The Umineko anime is a disaster. The visual novel is good and I hear the manga adaptation is also great but I haven't read that.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 24, 2023 2:39 PM

Feb 2021
Theo1899 said:
The Higurashi anime is good. The visual novel has a lot of extra shit though if you are interested.
The Umineko anime is a disaster. The visual novel is good and I hear the manga adaptation is also great but I haven't read that.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply.

Jul 2021
Big fan of WTC series, here.
Same universe, both primarily mystery/somewhat horror, different premise.
I recommend starting with Higurashi and finish through Saikoroshi (an arc within Rei) before proceeding to Umineko. I say this because Umineko has a lot of Higurashi references, more than just in the way of fan service.
As for adaptation, all available English adaptations are good in Higurashi (visual novel best, anime and manga are great, too). Umineko is the same, minus the anime adaptation which I'd pretty much say is skippable altogether if you are an anime-exclusive kinda guy.
Feb 2021
The original anime trilogy for higurashi is good but Gou and Sotsu is much worse, manga is all around pretty good but it can get repetitive and is very long. Umineko anime is rubbish but I hear the manga is very good but haven't read yet.
Apr 24, 2023 3:21 PM
Apr 2021
ScuzzyBear said:
Theo1899 said:

Higurashi anime is good, for umineko definitely read the vn or manga, the anime only adapts half of the series
Apr 24, 2023 3:37 PM

Sep 2019
different series made by the same creator in a linked universe. i suggest reading umineko and ciconia with the visual novels (the official releases are available on steam)
Apr 24, 2023 4:39 PM
Feb 2019
The Higurashi anime is decent as a standalone but the VN or the manga is the best way.

With Umineko the anime is NOT IT. The VN or the manga must be read.

How they're connected, they're both self contained. Written by the same author, loosely set in the same universe. But you can watch/read one or the other without needing context for the other.
Apr 24, 2023 5:56 PM

Feb 2021
wizdom224 said:
PiGG_MaNN said:
The original anime trilogy for higurashi is good but Gou and Sotsu is much worse
Eventide_ said:
Higurashi anime is good
AkinorX said:
i suggest reading umineko
nexuro01 said:
Same author, same universe.
filimaua13 said:
The Higurashi anime is decent as a standalone

So should complete these two and just stop?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/934/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1889/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni_Kai

I don't wanna watch what everyone collectively said is not good, but it seems you all agreed these 2 seasons are good enough to watch right? Is there a proper conclusion at the end of Kai if I don't watch Rei, Gou, and Sotsu?

Apr 24, 2023 6:15 PM
Apr 2021
ScuzzyBear said:
wizdom224 said:
PiGG_MaNN said:
The original anime trilogy for higurashi is good but Gou and Sotsu is much worse
Eventide_ said:
Higurashi anime is good
AkinorX said:
i suggest reading umineko
nexuro01 said:
Same author, same universe.
filimaua13 said:
The Higurashi anime is decent as a standalone

I don't wanna watch what everyone collectively said is not good, but it seems you all agreed these 2 seasons are good enough to watch right? Is there a proper conclusion at the end of Kai if I don't watch Rei, Gou, and Sotsu?

Yes. For Higurashi the first two seasons conclude the story, and rei is an extra ova.

Gou and Sotsu are technically sequels to kai but most people agree that they’re really bad and only recommend the first two seasons (myself included)

So yeah, just watch the original two seasons ๐Ÿ‘
Apr 24, 2023 6:50 PM
Sep 2020
They are different stories made the same creator (Ryukishi07). They do however take place in the same story universe.
Apr 24, 2023 6:57 PM

Jul 2021
ScuzzyBear said:

Kai does conclude the story, but I strongly encourage that you watch Rei (which is a part of the original series) as it's important in understanding a lot of stuff and is only five episodes. If you don't want fan service type episodes, just watch episodes 2, 3 and 4 (Saikoroshi-hen/Dice Killing Chapter).
It's the Gou/Sotsu sequel series that is notably bad, not Rei.
Apr 24, 2023 7:58 PM
Feb 2021
As Wizdom said, Rei is also definitely worth watching and while being regarded as worse than first 2 seasons it's still infinitely better than Gou and Sotsu. Note that I said 'watch the trilogy'.
Apr 24, 2023 8:18 PM
Mar 2022
PiGG_MaNN said:
The original anime trilogy for higurashi is good but Gou and Sotsu is much worse, manga is all around pretty good but it can get repetitive and is very long. Umineko anime is rubbish but I hear the manga is very good but haven't read yet.

I second this. As someone who owns light novels of higurashi I disliked gou and sotsu. The way keichi and shion got sidelined was criminal when I was expecting something clever with them involved :(
Apr 24, 2023 8:45 PM

Feb 2021
Alrighty, thanks for the informative replies! I guess I found something to watch, haha.

Apr 24, 2023 10:44 PM
Feb 2022
watch them both there are good
Apr 25, 2023 12:29 AM
Nov 2022
ScuzzyBear said:
What's the difference between this and this?

They both are "When They Cry", but are completely different. Thanks in advance.

Just curious how you thought higurashi and umineko were the same thing.
Apr 25, 2023 2:14 PM

Feb 2021
chr0llolucilfer said:
u should read the novel instead

Gotcha, I see a ton of people with it in their favs.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

143 by CutieAnshin »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mikhael04 - Jan 8, 2008

364 by Mirorin »»
May 25, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

211 by CutieAnshin »»
May 25, 12:40 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xo_cl2 - Jan 19, 2008

206 by Mirorin »»
May 24, 10:52 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 15, 2008

129 by Mirorin »»
May 22, 10:15 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.