Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 15, 2023 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
Definitely liked the way this episode captured its world fiction and emotions from the characters. 

Even though others were also featured with exploration and details, we still got Kiruko and Maru scenes together, which I think is really sweet. This episode also goes to show that out there in the unknown, it can be far dangerous than some characters realize. The overall psychology of this episode was great too.
Apr 15, 2023 6:28 AM

May 2020
Kiruko’s backstory… or more like her name used to be Kiriko back then, a kart racer. Though have to say the kind of community they used to live in.. they being Kiriko and her brother, Haruki, did seem like normal. One abnormality may be the constant struggles with the man eaters, but that’s to be expected knowing the state of their world. Still these kids were around some formidable adults, with Robin being one of them, whom Haruki used to look up to.

Though I’m saying used to because things happened and he died, at the very least in the eyes of those people. A sudden appearance of man eater in the middle of kart race, and being the sis-loving brother Haruki was, he jumped in between to take on that monster all on his own. But hey the unfortunate happened, and the dude got gobbled up by that monster, only for Kiriko to find her a moment later. And that’s when THE operation happened. We may not know the specifics, but guess his mind was kept alive and was operated inside Kiriko’s body or something along those lines.

But hey, great for this siscon, he got the body of the woman he used to love, whatever the circumstances may be. I mean he stated it himself lol. Japan loves this angle more than anything.

Another man eater appeared for the cliffhanger, and also about time we see what is actually wrong with that facility.
Apr 15, 2023 6:29 AM

Oct 2018
Unlike the first 2 episodes which switched between the two different sets of characters between inside and outside, the episode is entirely dedicated to Kiruko's backstory. Kiruko's brother retrieved after getting almost swollen was also depicted gruesomely. I guess the surgery part is also the reason she was looking for the doctor as mentioned in episode 1. The much awaited fish monster fight from the PV is next episode.
Hidehiko Sawada makes a 3/3 so far into the anime.

Etherius_ZSJun 23, 2023 4:54 PM
Apr 15, 2023 6:30 AM

Apr 2014
WOW, brain transplant surgery. This also explained the mirror kiss scene from the first episode as well.

Go-cart racing in post-apocalyptic Tokyo is very interesting, it deserves its own series.
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 15, 2023 6:54 AM
Nov 2020
Anime overall is getting much better in animation, story & production.... Thank god I became an anime fan :)
Apr 15, 2023 6:56 AM

Jun 2019
Kiriko's backstory definitely makes things very interesting in the story. Looks like in this day and age, brain transplant is a thing and you can succeed in it. Indeed, as the others said, explains the kissing the reflection in the mirror scene in the first episode, and the mark on her head. Definitely, the story is getting more and more interesting with the great world that is being presented to us. Leaving us on a cliffhanger with another one of those monsters. Can't wait for the next week and see how things develop from there.
Apr 15, 2023 7:06 AM

Feb 2021
I have a question, was Haruki’s sister his actual sister or did he just call her that like Maru calls Kiruko?
Apr 15, 2023 7:07 AM

Apr 2010
Interesting background and a few things stood out to me.
The first one is that Robin isn't such a nice guy as the main thinks her is the way he acted and the way he beat up those guys kicking them when they were already down proves that.
An other things that stood out to me was the sound the main heard when he lost consciousness when he saw his sister crying, it sounded like a gunshot to me which might explain his sister's death.
The question here tho is who killed his sister.
Another thing that stood out to me was the relationship of his sister and the doctor they seemed close, this doesn't have to mean anything but it could suggest something. 

There is also the hair color tho that was also mentioned in the last episode, the sister had black hair but now it's brown even tho it's her body.
Apr 15, 2023 7:14 AM

Jul 2017
A pretty effective and engaging episode as a whole dedicated mostly to Kiruko's backstory this time around. Pace was better than the previous episode for me too so this was a strong showcase as a whole which answered some questions and has me thinking about more questions in the process to observe in future episodes.
Apr 15, 2023 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
is that fish with all the arms related to the drawing from ep 1?
Apr 15, 2023 7:40 AM
Apr 2023
is it worth watching?
Apr 15, 2023 8:08 AM

Nov 2011
At this point we have to ask why Hazuki's brain was put into Kiruko's body. The Doctor was researching man eaters and the such but I see no benefit to this unless the two kids have some unknown hidden abilities.

Still wondering how the facility is involved.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 15, 2023 8:09 AM

Oct 2022
Episode told the sad past story of Kiruko and his brother. we saw too that the doctor and the college hide terrible secrets… there will probably a future twist that I could dislike for what I listen in the college this episode.
RanniwaifuendingApr 15, 2023 8:13 AM

Apr 15, 2023 8:11 AM

Jan 2009
body swap via brain transplant eh so Haruki a boy is now inside the body of his dead sister Kiruko

Apr 15, 2023 8:12 AM

Dec 2020
So we know now the incident before he/she met maru and everything.
She aas karting and there was a maneater and now he has his sister body but is a boy okay that was a plot twist that i hadn’t excepted.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Apr 15, 2023 8:13 AM
Nov 2021
So Kiruko's past is revealed... she is actually a guy!? His brain was transplanted to the sis by a suspicious doctor
I wish this show will get popular coz it deserves

The opening song is such a banger though
Apr 15, 2023 8:22 AM

Feb 2021
"10 years since the calamity”
So it's next year for us huh
Kiruko's backstory! Didn't think we'll be getting it this early. An interesting thing is that the hair color changed after the surgery from black to brown.
It appears that finding the doctor will be the main goal from now on (along with finding heaven)
The fish from the drawing! This supports the theory that the kids in "heaven" all have some kind of supernatural abilities (like that one who was fine after fallingfrom a high place)
WAIT WHAT IT ENDED ALREADY? Felt like 5 minutes
The ED changed a bit! There is a transition from Haruki to Kiruko in the puddle while previously it was just Kiruko.
"Real babies don't have faces" This makes me even more excited for the next episode.
EmbientApr 15, 2023 8:34 AM
Apr 15, 2023 8:27 AM

Jul 2017
Kiruko's backstory of a pre-post-apocalytic Tokyo, where the aforementioned Kiriko is a kart racer 5 years ago, it's interesting.

Living together with a family of her Doc, brother Haruki Takehaya and friends like Ken, Ran and Robin Inazaki, where man-eaters are prevalent, and gambling is in the form of the electric kart-racing industry. Bur unfortunately, a man-eater threatens to derail the race, so Haruki goes to handle it by himself without Robin beside him...which by that point that Kiriko thankfully managed to save him, but Haruki ending up almost completely eaten by the man-eater with only his body intact, an operation is necessary to keep him alive, which explains why the current brocon is a man in a girl's body, and the kiss scene in Episode 1.

But Kiriko's whereabouts are unknown, and if presumed dead, then that is somehow that the bodies are fused together to execute a brain transplant that's unimaginable. That is Haruki's reasoning to find out what the hell is going on, especially with the doctor and his friends who mysteriously disappeared all at once, and that is where he is now with Maru, 4 years later. The people in the photo is also revealed to be Robin and his girlfriend, who Haruki is looking for them also.

Woah, this is engaging with coming in of the clutch for Kiruko's story.
Apr 15, 2023 8:28 AM

Oct 2022
A bit of Kiruko's past and how she lost her brother.

is it just me or the concept of her brother's soul being in her body but she thinks herself to be the sister is a little bit confusing.
Apr 15, 2023 8:31 AM
Nov 2020
That was the fish-monster that Kona drew in the first episode and that appears in the ED visuals!
Apr 15, 2023 8:36 AM

Nov 2013

deg said:
body swap via brain transplant eh so Haruki a boy is now inside the body of his dead sister Kiruko

For some reason they skipped the part where Haruki basically gave up on life and was planning to just stay in the bed and die in order to reunite with sister and friends. This kinda redeemed a sister-loving guy in my eyes. 
Apr 15, 2023 8:40 AM

Jul 2020
wow that backstory really gave me the chills, very exciting and now I'm even more intrigued to see the story progress
-
so then, back in episode 1, Kiruku, a guy inside, basically tried to kiss his sister on the lips? nice, I approve
Apr 15, 2023 8:44 AM

Feb 2019
So I’m guessing Kiruko probably just offered up her body since she was so depressed about Haruki condition which explains the line of blood going across the screen and the “my head is hot” line. The gunshot seems to imply she was shot, damn a really sad backstory honestly.

Feel bad for Maru, if anything he’s probably more confused about his feelings than ever
Marinate1016Apr 15, 2023 8:47 AM
Apr 15, 2023 8:45 AM

Feb 2019
Urahara_Benihime said:
A bit of Kiruko's past and how she lost her brother.

is it just me or the concept of her brother's soul being in her body but she thinks herself to be the sister is a little bit confusing.

It’s not the soul it’s his brain.
Apr 15, 2023 8:51 AM

Nov 2016
Rumors weren't lying about the doc and his craziness. Not sure if this is the dream or nightmare of every siscon.

Great eh I mean fucked up backstory, it's only getting better. Like this show has everything from the dystopian setting contrasting with the innocent designs to the thrill and mystery.
FMmatronApr 15, 2023 9:56 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 15, 2023 8:52 AM
Sep 2015
Maybe the sister actually willing to give her life and request the doctor to save her brother "by any possible method", but the doctor is still crossing the line.
Apr 15, 2023 9:07 AM
May 2021
so kiruko is actually haruki? im assuming this is the result of the doctor performing a brain transplant or something. he crossed a line and knew that and maybe that's why he disappeared? i just feel really back for haruki. dying but then waking up and realizing he's in his sister's body. i can't even imagine having to go through that.

the fish is the drawing the boy in the facility made, right? does he have the ability to like, bring to life whatever he draws? i wonder if that means all the man eaters are just his drawings? and if he has an ability like that, do all the kids in the facility have abilities, or is he just the odd one out? im leaning towards all or most of them having some type of ability because of that one kid falling from the top of the pole and being perfectly fine.

that last part with the girl saying real babies don't have faces creeped me out, although i hope we get to see what she's talking about next episode.

this show is just so good so far. i love the world building and character building. im so excited for next week.
My 2023 candies:
Apr 15, 2023 9:23 AM

Jun 2014
So this backstory explains what Kiruko meant when she said she's in a girl's body but mentally is a man. 

I'm curious about that "real babies don't have faces" cliffhanger.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 15, 2023 9:27 AM
Sep 2022
Somebody mentioned so i had to go back and check again and its true, there is a gunshot at the momement haruki closes his eyes while his sister is holding him. wonder if that means somebody (The Doc?) killed her? or was it maybe somebody "finishing" haruki. Seems like the story wants us to believe the Doc putting Haruiki in Kiruko's body was one of the experiments he was doing, as to how its related to the man eater's tho, we'll have to see. Setting up the Doc to be the antagonist / goal of the story but then theres also Maru looking for Tokio in heaven with those strange kids. I had a feeling that kid's drawings were gonna be the man eaters but now its confirmed. Excited to see where this goes with how many questions there are
Apr 15, 2023 9:29 AM
Mar 2023
its sad that the girl is actually a boy cuz i wanted her and maru to get together but wtv
Apr 15, 2023 9:33 AM

Jan 2009
people miss the masturbation scene eh its around 16:20

this explains the mirror kiss scene in old episode

Apr 15, 2023 9:37 AM
Jul 2018
My theory (it’s messed up but still) is that the gunshot was maybe her taking her own life because of her grief of losing her brother and since her brain was now gone but her body was still intact that’s why the doc transplanted his brain into her body?
Apr 15, 2023 9:45 AM

Aug 2017
Backstory that explained things very well, the first two episode were already good, but I'm much more interested now. Can't blame Maru for still having those feelings. But ehh what was that masturbation scene?
Apr 15, 2023 9:46 AM
Mar 2020
The EP go deeper in the lore of the world and explain the past of the girl, very interesting history and a little emotional, nothing to cry, but very interesting concept. The animation still very beautiful and fluid. Anxious about the next one.
Apr 15, 2023 9:57 AM
Apr 2022
fffMike said:

I also noticed the fish. Did he saw one and then draw? or was it created aftrr his drawning? the anime is getting better and better
Apr 15, 2023 10:01 AM

Apr 2018
So it's basically a REAL dude in a woman's body. Did the doctor swap their brains or what? There's no other way for him to be alive. Interesting though, and I hope we get to see Robin again.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 15, 2023 10:12 AM
Oct 2014
Baranka02 said:
fffMike said:

I also noticed the fish. Did he saw one and then draw? or was it created aftrr his drawning? the anime is getting better and better

That's what I was thinking of!! cause it'd also seen in the ending song so I'm assuming these kids possibly have special powers possibly and one is that they draw these things and they become the man eaters
Apr 15, 2023 10:15 AM

Apr 2012
[person] talks
[breaths]
[engine noises]
wtf are those subtitles, literally cant watch the episode
i am skipping this1 and if next is like that i am dropping
Apr 15, 2023 10:23 AM

Jul 2020
i love the mystery in this series and how it piles up while still answering questions from previous episodes, the fact that it's able to do that while being a cohesive and consistent narrative is amazing

my theory as to what happened is that og kiruko got shot and her body was used, but then my question is why and who is going to do that? what's the motive? why did haruko need to stay alive? was it even someone who killed her or did she kill herself? a doctor was saying something about "one of the children died" and im wondering if that was her, it had to right?

there's just so much to unpack with this episode and next week couldn't come sooner.
Apr 15, 2023 10:25 AM
Jan 2023
mystery after mystery what a story so far
Apr 15, 2023 10:31 AM

May 2016
so it was just a brain transplant. ok we dodged a chris type bullet there.
Apr 15, 2023 10:49 AM
Jun 2021
Uhhh okay for sure this show is bizarre as hell!! So there is a body swap done by the Doc who was experimenting on Man-Eaters and decided to kill the sister, take her brain out and replace it with guy’s brain (hence the stitches on the head) but like why did the Doc decided to save the bro rather than the sis?? Also - after credits scene - the hell??? What do you mean real babies doesn’t have faces?! Really interesting show that just leaves me with more questions after each episodes.
Apr 15, 2023 10:49 AM
Apr 2023
fffMike said:

Yeah one of the facility kids drew one... 👀

I know it's kind of a common monster in a lot of anime and stuff (like there's a devil in CSM that's a fish with legs, Gyo, etc.), but it deff makes me wonder if the Facility is involved with the Man-Eaters or creating them, especially considering how well off they seem...

Also deff got a feeling the Doc is involved with the Facility and may either be a main villain in this series or involved with the Facility somehow 🤯😮‍💨
Apr 15, 2023 10:57 AM
Apr 2021
OK, so... who's scalp is that tho? I'm open to spoilers 
Apr 15, 2023 11:01 AM

Apr 2022
Welp, that goes to show that one shouldn't hope for good trans representation in anime anymore. Bit of a bummer, though the brain swap twist is also a good one. What a fucked up world these poor characters live in, and what a pleasure it is to watch!
Apr 15, 2023 11:34 AM

Jan 2021
This may be fucked up to say considering what we learned this episode, but I'm still hoping it all works out for Maru

Apr 15, 2023 11:45 AM

Sep 2020
Everyone's gushing about Oshi no Ko, Jigokuraku and dem man but this has genuinely been my favorite seasonal so far. This backstory hurts man. It explains so much about Kiriko and those scars... the more I think about it, the more I'm horrified. Also, nice to hear Hijikata's VA in Robin. I recognized that voice so quickly.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Apr 15, 2023 11:54 AM

May 2018
I liked this one quite a lot, very nice and fucked up backstory, I think there's a lot going on and I hope they can handle everything, 1 cour won't be enough tho, but so far so good.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 15, 2023 12:03 PM

Mar 2020
I think I was just a bit tired when I watched the episode, so I didn't put two and two together about the difference between who Kiriko and Kiruko were, thought it was a typo lol. This episode answered a lot of questions about Kiruko's past, and his (yes, I'm calling Kiruko he/him now), relationship with his sister Kiriko. I do still wonder how Kiriko ended up dying, but I suppose that gunshot we heard might have meant something.

Great composition and fluid animation as we have come to expect from this show, and from visuals alone, most definitely the best of the season. It hasn't cemented itself has my favourite show of the season yet, considering its competition this season, but it's certainly making a good case for itself to be AOTS, or at least near the top. Hope it continues to look great, and the mysterious tone continues to hook me in with each passing episode.
Apr 15, 2023 12:05 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Wow, what an episode.

Not only were we able to get an insight into Kiruko's past and where did that line from the last episode come from, it also raised some other questions regarding whoever did that procedure and what transpired with the rest. The characterization, animation direction and overall heartfelt emotion is superb and by the end I'm still wondering what's that precinct that they keep cutting to between episodes.

Banger
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 20, 2023

297 by jilebi_james23 »»
Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2023

237 by jilebi_james23 »»
Yesterday, 9:29 AM

» Kiriko and Haruki are blood related?

abuudai - May 16

9 by WatchTillTandava »»
May 18, 7:32 PM

» Isn't this lovely?

passtur - May 13

29 by Phloup »»
May 14, 4:55 AM

Poll: » What would you do if your waifu told you she is like Kiruko? [SPOILER]

Zarutaku - Feb 11

25 by LostSpectre »»
May 13, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.