Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 5, 2023 6:18 PM

Sep 2010
Contains spoilers for Your Lie in April.

I watched this years ago and sometimes I let it sink in for a while and after all this time I still don't get what this anime was trying to tell us. First Kaori cucks Kousei and then it turns into some doki doki shit where everything is about Kousei's trauma that literally nobody cares about and then we get some random flashbacks from side characters that also nobody gives a shit about.

Then it suddenly shifts into Kousei cucking Tsubaki and them finding out about Kaori's illness (which was totally not super obvious already) and her talking about enjoying life truthfully while she is literally the worst example of it by lying to herself AND her friends about everything she could and then she just dies and lefts all her friends depressed for probably some years and that's it.

For me it looks like the whole anime is just building up for these last 5 minutes to be the biggest tearjerker ever while providing absolutely nothing of substance. I'm all for cringey romance and sad endings but this is just bullshit. Why is this so popular and highly rated? Did I miss some deep underlying message here?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 5, 2023 6:20 PM

Apr 2020
Aka most Drama-Anime, no?

Don't see what the big Deal is, really.
Think the tearjerking is just a big part of it's appeal. The Feels, etc. etc.
Apr 5, 2023 6:25 PM
Mar 2021
it's a romantic drama and from what you described you don't like them
Apr 5, 2023 6:27 PM

Jan 2021
Tbf, when I watched it many years ago I really liked it and thought the ending was sad, but in retrospective I also realized that this was a poorly done drama with characters literally kicking the guy with trauma from abuse as comedy, it is just a big mismatch of tone that undermines absolutely everything.

Many stupid stuff are highly rated on this site like Shingeki no Kyojin and 86, but I'm sure you already know this. And no, you didn't lost any underlaying message because there were none.
Apr 5, 2023 6:29 PM
Apr 2022
Honestly I only watched this show because the music was really good
Apr 5, 2023 6:33 PM
Jul 2018
Agreed, the emotional buildup made me blind to those obvious flaws, lmao thanks for pointing that out
Apr 5, 2023 6:37 PM

May 2020
The music was great!!!

Unfortunately for me,

Thats the only thing that is great in this show!!!

& nope,

Forcing someone to do things & making fun of trauma due to abuse is not funny!!!

The comedy of this show is so out of place!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Apr 5, 2023 7:16 PM
Sep 2021
I watched it cause I heard the music was great and TBH, it was. another reason for me to watch it because it was April and I wanted to watch Your lie in April,....... in April.
Apr 5, 2023 7:25 PM
Feb 2022
I think it's so highly regarded by many becuase it was the first year generator anime/show they've watched. I know so many guys that told me they cried for the first time watching TV media. A lot of new comers to anime were recommended this show by video essays on YouTube and by friends is what I got from talking to various people.
Apr 5, 2023 8:22 PM
May 2022
It's just too much dramatic and forced comedy. I know the ending is sad but i haven't shed a single tear.
Apr 5, 2023 9:59 PM
May 2021
ateks said:

I watched this years ago and sometimes I let it sink in for a while and after all this time I still don't get what this anime was trying to tell us. First Kaori cucks Kousei and then it turns into some doki doki shit where everything is about Kousei's trauma that literally nobody cares about and then we get some random flashbacks from side characters that also nobody gives a shit about.

Then it suddenly shifts into Kousei cucking Tsubaki and them finding out about Kaori's illness (which was totally not super obvious already) and her talking about enjoying life truthfully while she is literally the worst example of it by lying to herself AND her friends about everything she could and then she just dies and lefts all her friends depressed for probably some years and that's it.

For me it looks like the whole anime is just building up for these last 5 minutes to be the biggest tearjerker ever while providing absolutely nothing of substance. I'm all for cringey romance and sad endings but this is just bullshit. Why is this so popular and highly rated? Did I miss some deep underlying message here?

I actually enjoyed this series and agree with most of your points besides the take on trauma. I thought they handled that pretty well and I havent seen a ton of anime that portrays that kind of stuff good. But yeah, after showing the series to a few friends and watching it multiple times, I do agree with your other points. Lots of things could've been done better and I would've preferred an adult/college cast as well
Apr 5, 2023 10:18 PM
Apr 2022
ateks said:

I respect your opinion totally.
I personally think the story was beautiful in itself.
Apr 5, 2023 10:45 PM
Oct 2020
I only watched it because my brother said it was one of the best and was really sad, but when I watched, neither did I get interested, nor feel sad, and even now I don't feel that way, and it's not even that I don't like romance anime, some of favorites are romance even, this just doesn't live up to the praise, the only reason I even have it at 7 is cause the music and visuals
Apr 5, 2023 11:28 PM
Jul 2021
I love how every reply here is given by pretentious douches who are trying to act cool....no one's trauma was made as a joke it started with arima suffering from his past and ended up by him overcoming it in the end...kaori using kousei's friend was fucked up but the guy was already a fucking cheater....tsubaki overtime realising about her feelings in the anime was as natural as it can get....and kaori living the last of her days with the guy she fell in love and the guy who inspired her was in no way a bad thing to do...i can also tell a lot more things which make this story a masterpiece it is but let's leave it at that...
Apr 5, 2023 11:43 PM
Feb 2022
well For a reson it is romance drama
Apr 5, 2023 11:53 PM
Jun 2021
PranjalT01 said:
I love how every reply here is given by pretentious douches who are trying to act cool....no one's trauma was made as a joke it started with arima suffering from his past and ended up by him overcoming it in the end...kaori using kousei's friend was fucked up but the guy was already a fucking cheater....tsubaki overtime realising about her feelings in the anime was as natural as it can get....and kaori living the last of her days with the guy she fell in love and the guy who inspired her was in no way a bad thing to do...i can also tell a lot more things which make this story a masterpiece it is but let's leave it at that...

Not liking something you like does not mean they’re trying to “act cool.” All of what you said it true. But here are some other truth of the series. Kaori is constantly lying and manipulating her self and her friends over stuff you definitely shouldn’t be lying about. Yet they present her as a golden girl when she’s probably one of the worst people in this show. The build up to the lie as the end was ultimately wasted when we found out how stupid and nonsensical it was. So you wasted a whole year of a guys life just to get another guy you actually wanted? And there was clearly other ways of becoming friends with him? Thats as manipulative as it comes plus they don’t address how fucked up that was. Also the show tries to redeem arima’s mother by telling us “but she just wanted him to be the best” which is in no way an excuse for assaulting your child. Also when he had a performance and has the drowning thing it is always the same. It was decent the first time but every time is happened it just became less interesting. Also the music in this is great.
Apr 6, 2023 1:12 AM
Jun 2019
SparCy said:
PranjalT01 said:

Not liking something you like does not mean they’re trying to “act cool.” All of what you said it true. But here are some other truth of the series. Kaori is constantly lying and manipulating her self and her friends over stuff you definitely shouldn’t be lying about. Yet they present her as a golden girl when she’s probably one of the worst people in this show. The build up to the lie as the end was ultimately wasted when we found out how stupid and nonsensical it was. So you wasted a whole year of a guys life just to get another guy you actually wanted? And there was clearly other ways of becoming friends with him? Thats as manipulative as it comes plus they don’t address how fucked up that was. Also the show tries to redeem arima’s mother by telling us “but she just wanted him to be the best” which is in no way an excuse for assaulting your child. Also when he had a performance and has the drowning thing it is always the same. It was decent the first time but every time is happened it just became less interesting. Also the music in this is great.

so I guess if you were a 15 old and you had a terminal illness, you would have lived your life miserably and have people care for you. I love how all of you say she didn't do them well, she was manipulative, while she just tried to live whatever life she had left to the fullest. She was a fucking teenager , how can you even try to reason that someone as desperate as she was, should have been straight up HoNeSt? easy to judge when you re not actually paying attention to the show. His mother sure was doing wrong hitting him, but ultimately she just wanted to excel in his (or hers) "dream". And it was not a "I will get a job dream" , it's a dream of actually being the very best at piano, which I hope you know it doesn't come that straightforward.Nothing comes easy on life. You can't put morals on trying their best when both arimas and kaoris life were full of shit. Those of you who say that the show is bad because of this concept, just wanted a generic spice of life fictional story. So take off these "morally correct" glasses and "everyone should act good" behaviour and try to see the show for what it is. Characters act like people irl would and portrays them very good
Apr 6, 2023 1:41 AM
Jun 2021
Uchiller said:
SparCy said:

so I guess if you were a 15 old and you had a terminal illness, you would have lived your life miserably and have people care for you. I love how all of you say she didn't do them well, she was manipulative, while she just tried to live whatever life she had left to the fullest. She was a fucking teenager , how can you even try to reason that someone as desperate as she was, should have been straight up HoNeSt? easy to judge when you re not actually paying attention to the show. His mother sure was doing wrong hitting him, but ultimately she just wanted to excel in his (or hers) "dream". And it was not a "I will get a job dream" , it's a dream of actually being the very best at piano, which I hope you know it doesn't come that straightforward.Nothing comes easy on life. You can't put morals on trying their best when both arimas and kaoris life were full of shit. Those of you who say that the show is bad because of this concept, just wanted a generic spice of life fictional story. So take off these "morally correct" glasses and "everyone should act good" behaviour and try to see the show for what it is. Characters act like people irl would and portrays them very good

It not the manipulating it’s self I dislike, it’s the fact that the show itself doesn’t recognise that as a problem, and still treats her like she can do no wrong. If the show actually delved into those issues and talked about how she did manipulate people at the end but arima are ok with that because he loved her, that would of been great. I’m not asking for them to hate her for what shes done but just to accept it would make the show better. This show is so oblivious to alot of the issues that are indirectly created that if discussed would make an amazing show. Don’t get me wrong I did have fun with the show but that didn’t stop me from finding issues with it.
SparCyApr 6, 2023 1:57 AM
Apr 6, 2023 2:30 AM
Aug 2020
you're a bit late for April fools, my man
Apr 6, 2023 2:39 AM

Feb 2021
I guess someone here doesn't understand how dramas work. All of those flashbacks are important for character development. Every main character has an arc throughout the story. The main leads' traumas are well explored and don't overstay their welcome. You not liking any of it just seems like a you problem. The show is rated high because it's well made, as simple as that.
Apr 6, 2023 3:55 AM
Dec 2022
i feel like it should’ve been 12 eps rather than 24eps? there were a few episodes that just felt repeated at times from when i watched it a long while ago
Apr 6, 2023 3:56 AM
Dec 2022
reirukah said:
i feel like it should’ve been 12 eps rather than 24eps? there were a few episodes that just felt repeated at times from when i watched it a long while ago

then again, it was a drama and it’s not really my type of genre to watch… i really have no right to place my opinion on here!!
Apr 6, 2023 4:29 AM

Sep 2010
truth999 said:
PikaboyTK said:
I guess someone here doesn't understand how dramas work. All of those flashbacks are important for character development. Every main character has an arc throughout the story. The main leads' traumas are well explored and don't overstay their welcome. You not liking any of it just seems like a you problem. The show is rated high because it's well made, as simple as that.

Romance drama is my most watched and highest rated genre overall but I guess I just don't like them and don't get how drama works.

makeinue said:
I think it's so highly regarded by many becuase it was the first year generator anime/show they've watched. I know so many guys that told me they cried for the first time watching TV media. A lot of new comers to anime were recommended this show by video essays on YouTube and by friends is what I got from talking to various people.

Yeah I guess that could be the reason, I think it's not that bad while you watch it but if you let some time pass and think about it again you realize how bad it really was so it got a lot of hype while it was still new.

PranjalT01 said:

But Kousei didn't overcome his trauma. Kaori tried to help him for the moment but her "haha it was all just a lie, gotcha" at the end pretty much ruined all of the progress Kousei made and left him behind even worse. And I agree Tsubaki's arc was the only enjoyable part of that anime.

Uchiller said:
so I guess if you were a 15 old and you had a terminal illness, you would have lived your life miserably and have people care for you. I love how all of you say she didn't do them well, she was manipulative, while she just tried to live whatever life she had left to the fullest. She was a fucking teenager , how can you even try to reason that someone as desperate as she was, should have been straight up HoNeSt?

Being a teenager with a terminal illness doesn't give you a free pass to be a fucking asshole and constantly manipulate and lie to your friends. How is that enjoying life to her fullest? She could've just asked him out if she was in love with him but she decided to cuck him instead. She didn't live out her emotions, she didn't enjoy anything except being a dumb liar.

SparCy said:
Also when he had a performance and has the drowning thing it is always the same. It was decent the first time but every time is happened it just became less interesting.
reirukah said:

I felt the same and I was close to dropping it because of that. The first time it was great how his trauma got portrayed with the underwater scene and his mother sitting in the crowd but then it got repeated again and again and again and I think it took up like 10 full episodes just to see this shit on repeat. The only reason I continued was because I heard the ending was great.
Apr 6, 2023 6:11 AM

Feb 2021
ateks said:
Romance drama is my most watched and highest rated genre overall but I guess I just don't like them and don't get how drama works.
Well there's different types of drama, you realise that right? I don't see why accepting the fact that this show just wasn't for you is so hard. Like I said earlier, the show is well made. You didn't like it. No big deal. No need to shit on it.
Apr 6, 2023 6:23 AM

Sep 2010
PikaboyTK said:
ateks said:
Well there's different types of drama, you realise that right? I don't see why accepting the fact that this show just wasn't for you is so hard. Like I said earlier, the show is well made. You didn't like it. No big deal. No need to shit on it.

Where did I say that I didn't like the anime? I just said it didn't make sense and if I missed something. Why are you getting so defensive?
Apr 6, 2023 6:40 AM
Jul 2020
Urmmm... it means... people actually have their own opinions? And it just happen that yours is sucks? Haha
Apr 6, 2023 6:44 AM

Feb 2021
ateks said:
PikaboyTK said:

Where did I say that I didn't like the anime? I just said it didn't make sense and if I missed something. Why are you getting so defensive?

Ah so you liked this show? My bad. I usually don't go around calling something I like "bullshit", so that kinda went over my head.

My reason for getting defensive is the same reason as for you being offensive. The way you phrased your words almost makes it sound like you hated every aspect of this show. "Nobody cares about this/that. This is just bullshit. Why is this show highly rated?" and so on.

People here have already addressed your problem with the show. The story isn't showing some deep psychological event. A kid had an abusive childhood, another one is dying. Common problems tackled almost seriously throughout. What I didn't see you mention was the dumb slapstick comedy of everyone hitting the seemingly depressed teenager. It's good for a laugh once or twice but not everytime. But I guess you are more disappointed by the supposed "cucking".

The show is a musical drama, and it follows up on that beautifully. Characters are in love with each other but do you really want them to just confess to each other from the get-go? Have no "drama" whatsoever? That won't be much fun now would it. They have certain traumas to fight, expectations to live up to. It's done well. I don't understand what doesn't make sense to you. It's pretty straightforward really. If you can't feel any of it at all, then is it so far-fetched to say that perhaps you just didn't like it?
Apr 6, 2023 6:56 AM
Jun 2021
truth999 said:

Literally.

Cant deal with people like this, its OBVIOUSLY not your cup of tea so why are you asking this “question” (just listing why you didnt like it) and expecting people to what? Convince you its good? Ugh
Apr 6, 2023 7:19 AM
Apr 2021
I ain’t reading all that but it seems you just don’t get the appeal which is fine, no one’s forcing you to like it. Also just because you know something, it doesn’t mean the characters have all the pieces of the puzzle it takes to figure it out.
I may have forgotten.
Apr 6, 2023 7:28 AM

Dec 2021
Only cared about the piano. 10/10 performance.

Kousei sure showed Kaori how its done at the end. Tearjerking performance.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Apr 6, 2023 11:00 AM
May 2022
well it's a slice of life right. I have seen a lot of slice of life that didn't really mean anything in general like Hyouka.
To me the first part was about Kaori helping the kid overcome his trauma and learn to play again. Hence all that stuff. Also since he's in a competition, I think they thought it would be better to give the competitors some character development too. but mostly in general it went to show how Kousei's music has the power to influence others (it ties back to the reveal in the end where Kaori says that he inspired her to start playing). This gesture also makes Kousei develop a deeper connection with her in general. ofc there's the love triangle or the live square that is added there. maybe it's just there for added drama or something else but not like they could just leave these characters. having conflict like this always makes for some great drama.
The second half mostly is about Kaori's illness. It is kind of similar to his mom's illness and how he might feel that again (but it feels weird to bring it up since he already got over it). But the 2nd half feels more of their love story and the development of it and how he is losing a lived one all over again. I just wish Watari had more character development and screen time though.
also this show has immensely great music that's just amazing to listen to
I just started re-watching this today, like just finished one episode and came to MAL to check the name of the Ed song and came across this post.
Apr 6, 2023 4:05 PM
Feb 2022
From a musicians perspective (me) the true interest catcher of this anime is the closeness to reality. For example, nearly ALL tips and motivation Kaori gives Kousei are something I already got said to myself and can relate to. You can relate all this if you ever attempted a public youth musician’s contest (as far as I heard it’s especially hard in countries like Japan, Russia, Korea...)
And sure, the music is one of the most important parts of it. What else do you think of, if it’s about a musician!?
sxdmusicApr 6, 2023 4:10 PM
Apr 6, 2023 4:19 PM

Jul 2015
ateks said:
I literally just finished rewatching this show today, first watched it in 2016. Some of the sentences you typed here actually are taken right out of my mouth such as "and then we get some random flashbacks from side characters that also nobody gives a shit about". Honestly the whole show should've been shorter, the story is a mess when you look at it on a deep analytical level, the stuff Kaori says about looking up literally was contradicted by herself giving up until like episode 20 when Kousei tells her he wants to play with her again. Very much hypocrisy, and then her struggles to continue living like doing rehab doubling down on the damage it does to Kousei because she collapses again in the Hospital bed in front of him and Watari. She doesn't want to make a mess for Tsubaki and Kousei but literally does that because Kousei still falls in love with her and breaking the status quo. It is a very very messy plot, and one that I often compare to "I want to eat your Pancreas" where it has a similar story plot, but that show didn't have side characters butting in on entire episodes, and the attention was focused primarily on the two leads. The trauma of Saki that Kousei experiences was well over half the series, and then the second half of the show was littered with side characters that I didn't even remember existed (ex.Nagi). It just sucks because I actually think the show could've made so much more impact if it cut the mother trauma segment short, and focused more on Kaori and Kousei, AKA not making Kaori literally in the hospital ever after episode 4, where they last played together. Literally why was their last performance together episode 4/22????? Music wise, I liked the osts better than the classical music they played. So on this second watch, no idea how I rated this show a 10/10 in 2016, guess I was really young. This is like top a 7/10 for me now. 
Apr 6, 2023 6:25 PM
Jan 2023
ateks said:

this is embarrassing
Apr 7, 2023 3:04 AM
Apr 2022
Echomatose said:
Honestly I only watched this show because the music was really good

Metoo😂😂😂
Apr 7, 2023 4:00 AM
Jan 2021
truth999 said:

There pfp is toradora and it’s one of there top anime’s…… I think this person likes romances 😂
Apr 7, 2023 5:02 AM

Apr 2021
Ionliosite2 said:
Tbf, when I watched it many years ago I really liked it and thought the ending was sad, but in retrospective I also realized that this was a poorly done drama with characters literally kicking the guy with trauma from abuse as comedy, it is just a big mismatch of tone that undermines absolutely everything.

Many stupid stuff are highly rated on this site like Shingeki no Kyojin and 86, but I'm sure you already know this. And no, you didn't lost any underlaying message because there were none.

Shingeki no Kyojin was pretty much the best anime in existence until the plot started wobbling at the second half of S4 Part 2.
I don't see how 86 deserves a low rating at all, the payoff for the first season was absolutely peak, although I did prefer the first cour to the second but that's in line with what the LN readers said about the source
Both of those are L opinions. I agree with YLIA being poorly done though
Apr 7, 2023 5:07 AM

Apr 2021
Uchiller said:
SparCy said:

Thr problem was Kousei's redemption being sidelined after like the first half of the series and focusing on Kaori's illness. Her death, to be honest, was only for the purpose of the series being a tearjerker. Also the love triangle between Tsubaki, Kousei and Kaori was the worst direction this show could've taken and it pretty much ruined the show for me.
The series contradicts itself.
Apr 7, 2023 8:52 AM
Jan 2021
no, absolutely not. This series is atrocious and does not offer anything other than cheap tearjerking attempts
Apr 7, 2023 9:34 AM

Jan 2021
CreepHazard said:
Ionliosite2 said:

Shingeki no Kyojin was pretty much the best anime in existence until the plot started wobbling at the second half of S4 Part 2.
I don't see how 86 deserves a low rating at all, the payoff for the first season was absolutely peak, although I did prefer the first cour to the second but that's in line with what the LN readers said about the source

There has been better anime than Shingeki no Kyojin for about decades and there have been better anime after it premiered as well.

Because 86 is a show that people praise just because it isn't an isekai or romcom when it actually has as good characterization as the most generic of those genres, everything it does was already better done by other mecha series, and it is basically Code Geass Boukoku no Akito, the racism aesop was done in a more subtle manner in Code Geass and there it wasn't subtle at all, there are so many problems with 86, but it is apparently a perfect adaptation from the LN, so the problems comes from that, but it isn't helped by A-1 ugly CGI mechas.
Ionliosite2Apr 7, 2023 9:39 AM
Apr 7, 2023 9:41 AM

Apr 2021
Ionliosite2 said:
CreepHazard said:

There has been better anime than Shingeki no Kyojin for about decades and there have been better anime after it premiered as well.

Because 86 is a show that people praise just because it isn't an isekai or romcom when it actually has as good characterization as the most generic of those genres, everything it does was already better done by other mecha series, and it is basically Code Geass Boukoku no Akito, the racism aesop was done in a more subtle manner in Code Geass and there it wasn't subtle at all, there are so many problems with 86, but it is apparently a perfect adaptation from the LN, so the problems comes from that, but it isn't helped by A-1 ugly CGI mechas.

AoT definitely took a hit in the later parts, but it definitely was the best anime storytelling up till the first half of season 4 part 2.
86 is literally the most non-mecha mecha ever, and it's literally better made than 95% of anime, and no the CGI was pretty good. It definitely deserves the rating after it had such a good production as well
Apr 7, 2023 10:15 AM
Mar 2023
CreepHazard said:
Ionliosite2 said:

AoT definitely took a hit in the later parts, but it definitely was the best anime storytelling up till the first half of season 4 part 2.
86 is literally the most non-mecha mecha ever, and it's literally better made than 95% of anime, and no the CGI was pretty good. It definitely deserves the rating after it had such a good production as well

86 was pretty good
I recommend you to watch peak fiction Gundam

Apr 7, 2023 10:37 AM

Apr 2021
Ayanokamisama said:
CreepHazard said:

86 was pretty good
I recommend you to watch peak fiction Gundam

I should watch Gundam sometime tbh, the new Gundam series kind of piqued my interest. It's just the aged artstyle that keeps me from watching it. I'll consider it thanks for the recommendation
Apr 7, 2023 10:53 AM
Mar 2023
Ionliosite2 said:
everything it does was already better done by other mecha series, and it is basically Code Geass Boukoku no Akito, the racism aesop was done in a more subtle manner in Code Geass and there it wasn't subtle at all, there are so many problems with 86, but it is apparently a perfect adaptation from the LN, so the problems comes from that, but it isn't helped by A-1 ugly CGI mechas.

but AoT dive deep into Jungian psychology and merges it with Norse mythology and other mythical stuff...

http://tryingtoseereality.blogspot.com/2012/08/diagramming-psyche-picture-of-jungian.html
better than Evangelion, Code Geass, Serial Experiments Lain..etc tho
AyanokamisamaApr 7, 2023 11:00 AM
Apr 7, 2023 1:34 PM
Jun 2020
Ionliosite2 said:

How is AoT stupid💀
Apr 7, 2023 2:01 PM
Mar 2023
lvlarcel said:
you're a bit late for April fools, my man

Lmaoooooooooooo
Apr 8, 2023 7:10 AM
Aug 2022
i mean, u said that the show adresses the main characters trauma as a bad thing. if the story line of the main characters isnt captivating for you, and it is for a whole lot of other people, maybe the show just wasn't for you dont you think? its okay if u dont find it interesting but you literally said that you didnt care about the topics that the show wanted to develop, so its normal that you dont see the apeal.

now, adressing what people said about kaori's pour decisions not beeing adressed as bad: u get most of kaori's descriptions from Arima's perspective and he is a teenager that is in love. its obvious that he is gonna have her in a higher consideration then we as watchers do. the show beeing able to give us his perspective in that way is one of its highest achievments. so yhea, even tho we can all see that kaori did a lot of wrong things like using arimas friend to get close to arima, its not like the show tries to hide that it was wrong, we as watchers see that bad side of her, but the show gives us Arima's perspective on her, his love, his feelings for her, and hes behaving (and kaori too) as normal teenagers.

now, as a classically trained musician, i will say that kaori read arima right. he was still in love with music, and even if it seems controversial, playing in a stage was probably the best way for him get over his stage problems. he defently needed that impulse in his life to play piano again. we can see that playing wasnt the only thing he needed to do to get over his trauma, and thats also why we see the time with his mother adressed so many times during the show. again, the show is a lot about the characters head and their perspectives and thoughts as the day went, thats why we have so many of arimas monologues.

about the way that he lastly adresses that his mother just wanted him to be good at piano, thats just his way of forgiving her, its not forgetting what she did to him, but getting over it, and letting it go. i dont see how u think that him not letting that go in this way would be better for him.

i understand that the show isnt for everyone, but saying that it is bad or hollow because you dont have a personal interest or because the characters dont always act right is not a good way of evaluating it. im not saying that the show is perfect, it isnt, but in this post i just tried to adress some of the comments that i have seen here that dont analyse properly what the show wanted to do, or that for some reason are trying to say that characters acting wrong is a problem. the actions in theirselves might be, but the show had them acting like that on purpose. they intentionally had the characters do it to create more tension, etc. and they successfully showed how one can still love another and see perfection where perfection doesnt exist.
Apr 9, 2023 1:10 PM
Jul 2022
ateks said:

I believe that the show is not trying to deliver a message outright. It’s a slice-of-life, it’s not trying to be more than that. If anything, I think one of the main point of the show is the importance of rivals, and how teenagers continuously push each other into growing. When you think about it, a big part of the plot and character arcs are built around it. I don’t believe it’s totally Kaori that helped Kousei overcome his trauma. Yes, she gave him the first push by getting him to play again and compete, but the “side characters that nobody cares about” are the ones that pushed Kousei to his limits: they were his rivals, they provided a challenge that he needed to overcome, and a very pressing need to evolve so he could keep up. There’s only so much Kaori could’ve done: she plays the violin so even though they are both musicians, they do not play “in the same ranks.”

Meanwhile for Kaori, this same idea comes back, she wanted her hero back. He was her reason to start playing the violin, which later on became the center of her life. Something about Kaori was truly about survival, not physically, but as a human. Yes, she is selfish, but again she is a teenager burdened with an imminent death, I don’t know how much her moral compass would be developed for her to know that some things she is doing are not “good.”

I see the show as mostly teenagers all trying to not get left behind, which is extremely relatable. They’re all desperately trying to hold onto something, mostly someone they held in high regards (or are in love with in Tsubaki’s case). What makes it so emotional and grounded is that very aspect; they’re all hurting, some knew exactly why, others had to figure it out along the way. But despite their differences, they all longed for the same thing, in different ways. They all learned how to navigate a “new” world, or simply just how to let go which, even for adults, is extremely hard to do. So I think that’s what makes it so great, cause it’s very layered between how the different characters feel, and multiple people will connect with different characters, sometimes even a different character each time they watch the show. If you’ve ever been at a point in your life when you feel like all you’re doing is just trying to catch up with how fast everything’s going and everybody’s changing, and you’re desperately wishing for time to stop just so you can catch your breath and catch that thing you’re holding onto so dearly but that’s just slipping away from you constantly, then that show is exactly this, at least for me.
Apr 9, 2023 4:08 PM
May 2021
ateks said:

there's no deep underlying message really. it's like every other tragedy romance.
Apr 10, 2023 10:48 PM
Aug 2022
Ionliosite2 said:

its not advisable to shit talk other anime when you literally have garbage like black clover and nisekoi in your fav among many other irrelevant shows. Especially with the most boring protagonist shirou as your pic
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1177 by ojarlos »»
May 11, 12:06 PM

Poll: » What do you think of the character artstyle?

Mallony - Oct 10, 2014

40 by Keytee1 »»
May 5, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

335 by RickHatake »»
May 1, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

234 by exho26 »»
May 1, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.