Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 15, 2010 1:57 AM

May 2008
AzureZelkova said:
Ah another impressive episode xD

Well actually
Working
May 15, 2010 1:59 AM

Nov 2009
AzureZelkova said:

May 15, 2010 2:01 AM

Aug 2008
cr1msonambience said:
Interesting, the Otonashi development was nice. Didn't expect Naoi to use that for memory pull though.

Kanade secured the hearts of a hell of a lot of people who weren't fans already with this episode.
Otonashi...you like her NAME? Cop-out >.>

Interesting to see the clone though. I can see harmonics being a "failed" guard skill she wasn't able to control. Would explain why it's the first one on the list as well as why she never uses it. I can buy the clone being an expression of the subconscious as well. Would explain why it tried to off Yuri.

That said, that doesn't explain why the clone would still be active when she's "turned-off" guard skills altogether, since thus far, we've always seen the 2 step activation. (activate guard skills -> activate particular skill)

------
Personal speculation:
- Split being could be why she's the exception to the "moving-on" rule. Technically, the entirety of her wouldn't have been living a "normal" life.

Oh well. Still too little to work off of at this point. Gotta love Cliffhangers . ^.^'.

She did say her skills/powers worked "passively" meaning while she's not even using them, they still kind of are on in a way, just not as strong. So even though she may turn it off, once she split, it was too late. I guess...

Kanade better not have to die!

tazillo said:
Excellent episode (last week's was also very good until the end of the battle...)

Lol'd at Naoi's "Please say something..." awkward silence. Shouldn't he have disappeared after having been acknowledged like he wanted?

I was SOOO waiting for the joke: "Are you..." rofl. But he didn't do it :(

TK won me over with the "Chop chop chop" i could NOT help but laugh.

Divinity_123 said:
Now that was a good episode.

Unlike Yuri's, Otonashi's background story was gripping. Poor guy, but I was really sold on him committing suicide. I still wonder why he lost his memories in the first place.

Great cliffy at the end there. Perhaps there's going to be an Angel vs Angel showdown?

I did not think of that...soon as I saw his memories I told forgot about the "Why did he forget" his memories in the first place. I also thought he was going to kill himself....but then again he can't really die[/] anyways though.

Anyone notice the trend here? I know we all have, but I'm wondering if it's more than coincidence, ESPECIALLY since we got them IN THIS ORDER: Angel, Christ, God. Lmao.

FateEntityMay 15, 2010 2:12 AM
May 15, 2010 2:10 AM

Jan 2010
this episode was the best ;(

amazing stuff...

baaah so that's what happened to otonashi before he came here?
that's a sad past :(,too bad his little sister died,it reminded me of Tomoya's story somehow :(

and i think i'll put Otonashi into my top 10,for the stuff he did this ep...
i can't belive he confessed to Kanade litke that O.o
good job bro :)

also...wtf multiple angels?

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
May 15, 2010 2:11 AM

May 2010
Kaworu said:
AzureZelkova said:

Well actually

Marina2 said:
AzureZelkova said:

I can't wait for the next episode already lol
Btw, nice observation you two...
“My abusive language is alchemized through 40kg of copper, 25kg of zinc, 15kg of nickel, 15kg of ice that keeps my cool, and 97kg of pure spite” - Senjougahara Hitagi

Games Room's badge
May 15, 2010 2:18 AM

Aug 2009
Battlesheep said:
Wasabi said:
Naoi suddenly joining them is the most ridiculous thing. The guy fucking slaughters pretty much all of SSS and they treat him like nothing happened in the next episode. It's like they just put him there as the plot device to bring back Otonashi's memories and as yaoi bait.
You know, I'm sure Angel slaughtered them all a lot more times than he did.
They must've fought her for a VERY long time, if you look at all the stuff they've built at Guild; and she was their opponent from the very beginning. That's why they were reluctant to let her join. But they still allowed her to when Yuri said so.
Naoi, on the other hand, was their enemy just for a very short time and fought them only once. I think they're used to dying by now so they don't think much of it...
The problem is, what you said is all assumption that never explained in the story at all. Still, Naoi killed them, and he is acting like 'I luv otonashi'. So lame.
May 15, 2010 2:32 AM

Feb 2009
ringoo4 said:
The problem is, what you said is all assumption that never explained in the story at all. Still, Naoi killed them, and he is acting like 'I luv otonashi'. So lame

It's obvious that the anime treats killing or being killed as a running gag.Not a single character has any problem with killing(tenshi and noda in ep 1,all the charas in ep 2 etc).
About the episode,the backstory felt kind of out of place and shouldn't Otonashi be more bothered after he recovered his memories?Also,SSS sure is cool...they have Angel,Christ and God on their team.
Urufuzu_reinMay 15, 2010 2:39 AM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
May 15, 2010 2:39 AM

Aug 2009
Urufuzu_rein said:
ringoo4 said:
The problem is, what you said is all assumption that never explained in the story at all. Still, Naoi killed them, and he is acting like 'I luv otonashi'. So lame

It's obvious that the anime treats killing or being killed as a running gag.Not a single character has any problem with killing(tenshi and noda in ep 1,all the charas in ep 2 etc).
If it is obvious that they treats killing as a gag, where's that all those seriousness and otonashi hugging of the last episode came from? I'm pretty sure that him and all the others were pretty dead serious (like otonashi's 'OMG TENSHI PLEESE U R TEH OLNY ONE CAN SAV US!'), which is another lame factor considering how real death does not happens in that world.
May 15, 2010 2:42 AM

Feb 2009
ringoo4 said:
If it is obvious that they treats killing as a gag, where's that all those seriousness and otonashi hugging of the last episode came from? I'm pretty sure that him and all the others were pretty dead serious (like otonashi's 'OMG TENSHI PLEESE U R TEH OLNY ONE CAN SAV US!'), which is another lame factor considering how real death does not happens in that world.

Agreed.There's clearly a problem of direction with Angel Beats.That's what I hate about Key.They mix comic relief with serious moments in a strange way and things seem out of place.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
May 15, 2010 2:46 AM

Aug 2009
All I can say is

Tenshi. <3

Also, Otanashi's past is really sad. But I kinda hate Key for not showing us how Otanashi found out that he was actually holding a dead girl on his back and completely freaks out in the middle of the street and starts crying etc.
I want to see that. ;__;

5/5
May 15, 2010 2:48 AM

May 2010
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2010 2:49 AM

Apr 2010
Oh wait.. There're two Angels now?!

Optime olere occisum hostem!
May 15, 2010 2:52 AM

Jun 2009
Interesting indeed. Kanade's multiplication is also a defence skill?
Oh and TK's "chop chop chop chop" was the best. xd
OrochiPLMay 15, 2010 3:07 AM
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
May 15, 2010 2:55 AM

May 2010
Yzori said:

That was my speculation as well. However, without any solid proof, a prediction will always be a prediction until proven otherwise lol
“My abusive language is alchemized through 40kg of copper, 25kg of zinc, 15kg of nickel, 15kg of ice that keeps my cool, and 97kg of pure spite” - Senjougahara Hitagi

Games Room's badge
May 15, 2010 3:21 AM

May 2010
Zilpzalp said:
.... for space!

Well said indeed. I thought this episode was lame, Otonashi's past didn't cut if for me. It was as you said way too undramatic for a Key-work. There's nothing interesting left about Otonashi, his character is flat and boring. (for me at least)

The clone is mehh, but it could turn out to be interesting.

I hope it doesn't come true either, 'cause that would make Angel Beats! nothing more than decent for me. I still have my faith in Key- for pulling off a well thought, and original plot. Let's hope they at least manage to do that.

Also, I really hope for one they're going to pay the other characters more attention for once. It's been all Tenshi and Otonashi the last few episodes. (don't get me wrong Tenshi is moe- 'nd stuff, but the focus on those two is getting boring). Yuri was supposed to be the main ''heroine'' she's just a supportive character so far, imo. I want to see more of the ninja-girl also.

This anime needs more pewpew, and less qq-talking.
YzoriMay 15, 2010 3:27 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2010 3:29 AM

Apr 2009
Fuck yeah Tenshi! Kill them all!
May 15, 2010 3:37 AM

Jan 2009
lol this is slowly becoming the matrix trilogy and tenshi is the virus multiplying passively hell yeah multiply more XD

and her guard skills are really like concepts from the digital world so i guess there in the matrix XD
May 15, 2010 3:44 AM

Sep 2009
garfield15 said:

Fun Fact:

Kanade: To play a sound
Otonashi: No sound

On purpose? Most likely

I don't know anything about Japanese but does Hatsune mean anything music related? I thought of Hatsune Miku right away when I heard her name. Then again her last name would probably be Otonashi, and maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Either way Tenshi is still consistently my favorite character in this show.
May 15, 2010 3:48 AM
Apr 2009
Great Episode. Include Ending WTF
May 15, 2010 3:59 AM

Aug 2009
Otonashi's past gave me the chills for a while.
Everything he did was for nothing and that seems really disturbing.

The end of the episode, 2 Kanades = WTF
May 15, 2010 4:06 AM

Oct 2009
Lalatralalala can't wait for next lalala.
May 15, 2010 4:16 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Nice twist.

Kanade's Creed II was interesting to see, and yay for Nakahara Mai! C:

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 15, 2010 4:21 AM

Nov 2009
Loved it, Kanade is just the essence of awesome.
May 15, 2010 4:24 AM

Feb 2008
cyruz said:
yay for Nakahara Mai! C:

More like: Nakahara Mai. :'(

Hm, bite-sized filets. :9
...kinda.

also: fukken cliffhangers... >:|
May 15, 2010 4:30 AM
Jan 2010
CHOPCHOPCHOP
EMOTONASHI
May 15, 2010 4:37 AM

May 2010
There was some big and bad ass fish :D probably Tachibana could handle this fish on her own from the beginning ;)

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
May 15, 2010 4:40 AM

Jul 2009
First half of the episode, i was wondering why Otonashi could answer the question easily in eps 5 if he had a bad grade and rarely went to school. I'm glad they show us why he could answer the questions easily.

I'm quite surprised hearing TK said "Zetsubo Carnival". I'm rewinding it again just to check whether he really said it or not XD.
RegulusMay 15, 2010 4:45 AM
May 15, 2010 5:06 AM

Dec 2009
Departure
Guild
My Song
Day Game
Favorite Flavor
Family Affair
Alive
Dancer in the Dark

D Gm D F F A D = chord
May 15, 2010 5:15 AM
Dec 2008
15:24
Rathalos???
May 15, 2010 5:29 AM

Apr 2010
Otonashi looked really an emo in his old hairstyle. It was a sad past.

Tachibana is really cute. But who the hell is that FAKE Angel?
May 15, 2010 5:30 AM

Jun 2008
Everyone... not all people on the train thought that god was a fucking bastard, and not all of tem had a goal they couldn't achieve. That's why they didn't enter that world...

And Zilpzalp, Otonashi was just as selfish, as most humans would be. They think that they are doing it for others, while it is just self-statisfaction. Comprehend, that these characters are not Intenet people who actually could make distinction... nor are they wiser than the cholars that teach gods... They are plain humans not realizing things.
May 15, 2010 5:53 AM
Aug 2009
Otonashi's past=
May 15, 2010 5:55 AM

Apr 2009
Urufuzu_rein said:

Also,SSS sure is cool...they have Angel,Christ and God on their team.

LOL! They sure are cool.

On another note, OtonashixTachibana <3
May 15, 2010 6:03 AM

Jun 2009
More KanadeXOtonashi please!!

Haha, I can't believe that Otonashi looks like an emo when he was alive (seriously, It didn't fit him)
Naoi joining the SSS was pretty much I expected but I think it will be nice for him to be friends with the members or only Otonashi in SSSxD (he is completely attached to Otonashi huh?)
Otonashi or Yuzuru memories were not sad): I didn't even feel like I was going to cry but of course I have sympathy for him, just I was expecting more tear-jerking stories in his past. I found Yuri past more sad and cruel than Otonashi..

The fishing scene was awesome. Glad that Otonashi invite Kanade, and on the cooking part, it was like he was confessing to her!! ah~ love that part^^

At the end of the episode, cliffhanger *sigh* what the hell? there are two tenshi's? As I read the previous post, yeah I think it was the part where Tenshi duplicate herself and the one has red eyes. Overall...nice episode I guess...4/5^^

and I found this very amusing:)
jjihhyeMay 15, 2010 6:14 AM

May 15, 2010 6:10 AM

Aug 2009
Nephtys said:
First half of the episode, i was wondering why Otonashi could answer the question easily in eps 5 if he had a bad grade and rarely went to school. I'm glad they show us why he could answer the questions easily.

I totally forgot about that. I'm glad they actually did have an explanation for that.
May 15, 2010 6:14 AM
Jan 2010
Her evil twin sister appeared :D
May 15, 2010 6:16 AM

Dec 2007
FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!! Nakahara Mai!!!!!!!!!! MADE MY FUCKING DAY.
May 15, 2010 6:31 AM

Aug 2007
Nekon-chan said:
Otonashi's past=
Exactly my thoughts. Otonashi looked like Kratos, which was a plus, but he still looked emo. Who's the real bad guy in here?
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
May 15, 2010 6:32 AM

Apr 2010
Nephtys said:

Yeah that popped into my head immediately after he said he was an idiot. Episode 6 was too fast paced, but I think this one slowed it down quite a bit for the most part. I thought it was hilarious how gay4otonashi Naoi had gone haha. He seems much shorter in this episode and more like a kid.

FEAR THE CLOTHESPINS!!

CMU
May 15, 2010 6:39 AM

Nov 2008
Another ep that felt like two separate halves. Shirou got over his memories pretty quickly. TK was awesome as usual, and finally Moengel joins us.

Or does she? I wonder if she when doubled herself to kill the fish she pulled a Kami (DBZ) and split off her evil half...
May 15, 2010 6:42 AM

Nov 2008
DragonsWhip said:
Nekon-chan said:
Otonashi's past=
Exactly my thoughts. Otonashi looked like Kratos, which was a plus, but he still looked emo.
Kratos from God or War or where?
May 15, 2010 6:45 AM

Jan 2010
Otonashi's past was so sad. ;___; I admit I teared up. All he wanted was for his sister to be happy, and she ended up dying anyway.

On a brighter note, T.K. I love him so much, he makes me laugh so loud irl. Chop chop chop chop.

HNNGH MORE OTONASHI X KANADE MOMENTS. YES. <3

Okay what, 2 Angels!? Damn cliffhangers. :c
May 15, 2010 6:51 AM

Sep 2008
Another awesome episode. Surprise surprise.

lolclothespins.
May 15, 2010 6:54 AM

Sep 2008
Otonashi's sad past --- Epic!!
2 Angel -----Double Epic!!
Next episode, battle with 2 angels? ----- Predicting another epic episode!!

The 2nd Angel really make me a big surprise twist!! Could that lead to God???
May 15, 2010 6:54 AM

Jan 2010
While Otanashi's past was told really well IMO, I find it strange that there was no dramatic buildup to it or anything, and he didn't need much time to come to terms with himself. Besides that, this episode felt a little disjointed; the two halves of the show had very little to do with each other.

Those are my only real complaints, though. Otherwise, it was a really good episode. T.K. was appropriately awesome, we got more focus on Kanade (easily my favorite char.), the humor was otherwise great, and of course, it left us with a strong runner for best cliffhanger in the series.
May 15, 2010 6:55 AM

Aug 2007
Maximatum99 said:
DragonsWhip said:
Nekon-chan said:
Otonashi's past=
Exactly my thoughts. Otonashi looked like Kratos, which was a plus, but he still looked emo.
Kratos from Tales of Symphonia.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
May 15, 2010 6:57 AM

Nov 2008
Tayloroids said:
T.K. I love him so much, he makes me laugh so loud irl. Chop chop chop chop.
May 15, 2010 6:58 AM

Jun 2009
Maximatum99 said:
DragonsWhip said:
Nekon-chan said:
Otonashi's past=

Lmao. xD Dunno why, but i like the way Otonashi looked before.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
May 15, 2010 7:00 AM

Jul 2009
Maximatum99 said:
DragonsWhip said:
Nekon-chan said:
Otonashi's past=

He means this Kratos from Tales of Symphonia.
May 15, 2010 7:02 AM

Nov 2008
^Well, I guess that makes sense. I mean, I just referenced a dude that is bald but with God being in relevance, I mentioned it.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Yesterday, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.