Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2023 4:28 AM

Jul 2017
High Card is being cornered at all corners: the protection of the VIP King of Fourland, and Chris's escape.

Finn being fired on the spot for helping Chris on his escape with his sister Michel to play the Four of a Kind X-Hand, and Detective Sugar Peace and Chelsea on the run to find Finn, it was a perchance of a trade. Ban Klondike coming in with his fearsome power, knowing what Chris is going to do with the X-Hand, gives him the leeway to do so without stopping him, which to Finn and Chelsea, is an idiotic move, and is confirmed by Bernard himself, who is also trying to track down Chris. Against the country or crown, be it High Card, Pinochle or Fourland, his "power of friendship" comes in at a time of need. Even Leo wants in, but is stopped by his own father Theodore, and thankfully, got the VIP out just in time to engage everyone to find Chris.

The Klondike family stopping Finn from interfering, and the rest of High Card mobilizes to the pursuit, especially Wendy engaging her Love-P power once again to become the lunatic against the Klondike. But it's too soon, too late, that Chris plays the X-Hand, and Finn and Co. were just one step short of stopping the Player sacrificing his life, but the best is yet to come: Finn engaging his 2 of Spades Neo New Nambu, the weakest card, making a notable difference in a straight shot to cross out the X-Hand, reduced to a 3 of a Kind to save a life. A risky gamble that results in a Showdown, mission success!

For now, the story ends here with Michel's recovery and Chris's X-Hand broken to escape death, with his punishment being demoted to Finn's junior.
...but fret not, Season 2's on the way!

One of the best original anime from this season, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT.
KANLen09Mar 27, 2023 5:59 AM
Mar 27, 2023 6:09 AM

Jul 2020
A pretty flashy and action packed finale. I was sure both Chris and his sister would survive but it still was interesting to watch. I'm still confident that Finn and the others shouldn't have interfered, the whole situation was none of their business tbh

Looks like we caught a glimpse of the main villain of the next season at the end..? Too bad he presumably killed one of the few girls I liked in this show
Overall the show was nothing special but quite entertaining to watch. A solid 7/10 from me

also, I would've preferred if the show was less on the episodic side
InexplicableMar 27, 2023 6:12 AM
Mar 27, 2023 6:14 AM
Jul 2021
Given the amount of plotlines they have set up, I think even 12 more episodes are probably not going to be enough for this story
Mar 27, 2023 6:22 AM
Sep 2021
The season was good, the fantasy element, the characters and a little bit of plot came together and made a really good series.
Mar 27, 2023 6:46 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
An action packed finale to wrap up this part of High Card, a new ambitious in style project that left me engaged throughout most of the season and fortunately will have a continuation. I'd like to rate it higher but some of the scenes such as Finn missing in point blank range to the marble guy, Chris's blindness to see a third of a kinf to play X-Hand and some of the characters' behaviour by the latter hand felt a bit unnatural. I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking things here.

In any case, the Klondikes are sure to go after the cards in due time. Most at the very least considering the telekinesis girl got stabbed by what till probably be the main anatgonist of the next season. In the mean time, I'm gonna go watch the opening and ending sequences again.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Mar 27, 2023 7:06 AM

Oct 2022
A banger episode with a predictable ending. For the second season there are many unsettled thread and finally a direct confrontation between the two organizations. An enjoyable first season with an up and down pace, many tropes and a less thorough card power system behind the world than i expected are the reasons that i didn’t give for the series a score higher than 7: almost sleeper hit title

Mar 27, 2023 7:09 AM
May 2011
Sounds like all the High Card losers survive and the only character to die was one of the better antagonists. Not even sure I want to watch the episode at this point
Mar 27, 2023 7:14 AM

Mar 2020
Yeah, the finale was pretty predictable, it's all smiles for now, with more setup for Season 2. Not gonna lie, a bit of an anticlimactic end to this little arc we had here, but it is what it is.

As for the show itself, it had a great and entertaining start, but I definitely lost some interest around the middle of the season. Its story played out like popcorn entertainment, and there were more opportunities for more meaningful characterization than what we got. A good effort overall, but fell a little short.

6/10.
Mar 27, 2023 8:24 AM
Sep 2015
A little bit cheating solution, there should be a smarter way that lead to the same happy ending, if 3 cards can actually save both people then the death of Chris's dad is unnecessary.
Mar 27, 2023 8:35 AM

Feb 2019
Love and P Wendy hits so different man I love her

Really good finale, I knew there was no way they could wrap up everything they set up in this show in one episode so I’m glad we got another season coming. Honestly I don’t even think that’ll be enough since we haven’t got everyone’s backstories and the klondikes/main villain still out there. The black knight raised a lot of questions. It seem like the Klondike girl knows him but he’s clearly got his own agenda.

Hopefully that means a lot more High Card to come.

Look like Chelsea really likes Chris too 😂 true ladies man
Marinate1016Mar 27, 2023 8:40 AM
Mar 27, 2023 10:07 AM

Jan 2019
Honestly this was a pretty great finale, enough for me to bump it up to a 7/10. And I will be watching the second season, I just hope it can maintain a consistent quality next time.

Mar 27, 2023 10:55 AM

May 2019
In this finale Finn turned out to be the hero by essentially saving Chris' life by turning the X-hand into a 3 of a kind using his straight shot ability, pretty cool and creative concept.

This turned out to be a pretty good series with a 2nd season already announced. There was lots of action throughout albeit it was kind of corny/cheesy at times such as when Finn encountered the marble guy at the orphanage and couldn't shoot him even though he has the straight shot ability. Also, we got most of the characters' backstories but I don't believe that Vijay's was told, although he hasn't had much screen time either. The animation, character designs, and storyline were fine. I'll watch the 2nd season when it starts airing. Overall I give this a 7/10 as a good anime.
Mar 27, 2023 11:07 AM

Dec 2018
felt like a really rushed finale, and other than being the "junior" i think maybe ruining the town should have had further consequences for chris.
Mar 27, 2023 11:28 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Episode too sweet except the last 30 seconds and the fight between women, the best to me of the episode!!!

Second season in production, yeah!!!

6/10

kekeke
Mar 27, 2023 11:28 AM
May 2021
i enjoyed the finale. maybe a little rushed/predictable, but still good. there's still a lot of questions left unanswered though, so im glad there's a season 2 coming. hopefully the story will start to get a little deeper in the next season and we'll learn more about the characters and the overall universe the show's set in.

overall a solid 7/10. would recommend giving it a shot
My 2023 candies:
Mar 27, 2023 11:29 AM

Sep 2021
When I finished the first episodes of my seasonals, this show was at the bottom of the ranking. A bunch of meaningless action scenes and no real plot to follow. It quickly improved to the middle of the pack with decent character episodes and by episode 5 I started to really like it and I've been praising it a lot over the last few episodes. And honestly, the finale is no diffrent! 

There sure was a lot going on there. If you read this, feel free to skip to the end as I've got a ton of praise and speculations here...

Starting with the attack on the palace, Leo got to show of his powers again and they are probably the coolest in the entire show! There was also the discussion with his father, which was resolved pretty uneventful as the invaders were shut down before it could reach it's climax. But honestly, I don't trust Theodore Pinochle one bit. I got no idea what his motivations are, but it feels like he uses his son as a tool. He sure is a prime suspect for the masked man. With Klondike, Lindsey and the high-ranking Pinochle members all being very suspicious, I feel like there will be a great conspiracy for season 2. 

Meanwhile, Sugar Pease and Chelsey make sure Finn gets to meet with the other High Card members, with the former saving him form Owen and the later from Klondike's psychic girl. I'm glad they also get their screentime here. This show treats it's side characters very well! Bernard Symons, the old guy from High Card, was also pretty interesting. At first, I thought he was working with Klondike, but later, it seemed he was actually loyal to High Card. I wonder if there will be more on him. 

Afterwards, High Card (minus Chris) finally reunites and I'm super happy Wendy (or Love P) got to show of her Ace powers this season! Her fight against the Klondike psychic was so cool! It was really nice to see Sugar and her Senpai helping Wendy out - It seems Sugar really changed something in him for the better. Also, Love P being shot down by that sign was hillarious!

While the psychic survived Wendy, it seems she was later killed off by the masked knight. A bit sad, as I liked her powers a lot, but there are still a ton of other very dangerous Klondike members, plus Ban himself seems to have incredible power too!

Now, on to the finale! I really like how they made every ability of High Card play a part in saving Chris, with Finn's final shot being a successful gamble to save both Chris and Michel. I'm so glad this season got a happy end, because I like them both a lot! However, I wish they had added a scene of Chris and Finn atop the ferris wheel - that would've been really sweet. 

With this season coming to a close with a happy end, I'm super excited for Season 2! I think it will probably be even better, now that the world building was established. 
I love the characters, the mystery and the abilities in this show a lot! It also had very smooth transitions between the many genres it brought together! Comedy, Drama, Mystery, Action - not many shows manage to balance that out so nicely. But those who do are usually great! 
For negative aspects, I have the terrible first episode, Vijay getting sidetracked a lot (for a main character) and maybe a little bit to much pace on the many plot strings. 13 episodes would've been perfect for me, with another one for Vijay plus Klondike story between episode 5 and 6. But that's just complain on a high level!
In the end, it is my favorite anime of the season and an easy 9/10. 
Mar 27, 2023 1:23 PM

Jan 2011
i didnt like it, dont think ill be watching season 2
Mar 27, 2023 1:45 PM

Feb 2021
What an amazing final episode of season 1! I cried so many times! I am so glad that Chris and Michelle are both alive! Now I will wait for season 2 to start airing!
Mar 27, 2023 2:33 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
A very action packed finale that resulted in Chris not dying and his sister in a slightly better condition than before thanks to Finn's long shot reducing the X-Hand to three of a kind. Chris's punishment for going rouge was being demoted to Finn's junior while returning to High Card. So that Dark Knight figure was real after all. I thought it was all in Finn's head due to PTSD of loosing his family in a house fire. Hopefully Season 2 will focus on Leo, Vjay, and more on the Klondike family. I guess you can say this series ended on a rather High Note(no pun intended).

7/10
Mar 27, 2023 6:07 PM

Jan 2015
It looks like it was good since season 2 has confirmed production lol
Trying my best with english d-_-b
Mar 27, 2023 6:52 PM
Jan 2018
The season couldn't match the greatness it hinted at earlier on. With super low standards this is a nice enough show to watch. I give it a 7 out of 10. It saddens me that none of the anime this season that ended were able to go the distance. All of them were disappointing in their own way. I guess it doesn't matter since next season has so much quality. And Vinland Saga is only gonna get better from here.

Whenever season 2 comes out I'm down to watch some more High Card. This time I will know not to get my hopes up.
Mar 28, 2023 2:48 AM
Jan 2020
This show works like a long running shounen lmao, they can't even barely animate the characters properly when they're talking, but, the moment they fight it starts looking like a movie.
Mar 28, 2023 5:25 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Well, I had a good time. I'll be happy to keep watching for season two. I really love the character interactions in this anime. ;__; Fun times!

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Mar 28, 2023 5:57 AM
Oct 2019
Wow Action packed Season Finale.

Somehow Happy Ending for Chris and Michel?

Ohh Goblin Slayer is coming...

They kinda spoiling it by announcing Season 2 at Anime Japan last week before the last episode was airing.

Overall I really like the concept, Chemistry between the characters was good, story was kinda up and down but i have a fun time watching this every week.
Can't wait for the showdown between Pinochle and Klondike in Season 2.

7/10
Mar 28, 2023 7:40 AM

Dec 2016
I thought Wendy gets possessed right after she plays the LoveP card, this time it took time.

Glad that Finn was able to shoot the target and save Chris on time.

That ending tho. It felt good to see that Klondike woman like that. She was annoyingly powerful. Looks like that Knight who killed Finn's family is back. It seems it'll play the main antagonist next season. I wonder if that Knight uses King of clubs.

It was a fun watch. It had interesting plot which made me look forward to each episode. I really liked the characters. Season 1 mostly focused on Finn and Chris and Wendy too. So I hope season 2 has a Vijay focused episode.

7/10 for this season.
Mar 28, 2023 5:41 PM
Dec 2022
ANIME BOM DO CARAIO
Mar 28, 2023 10:26 PM

Nov 2021
SEASON 2 WAS CONFIRMED!!!!
Ngl that ending was too wholesome and felt kinda like a let down but at least that magneto BIH died-
Plus the coolest characters were definitely the chill ass detective & the Klondike boss, bro was hidden in plain sight-

Also was that Guts in the berserker armour at the end? 🤣

Mar 29, 2023 5:12 AM
Apr 2021
HOOOOOOOLY FUCK this episode was so action packed it had me getting goosebumps fam😮‍💨

Seeing Love-P made me shout out loud bc I haven’t seen her in so long😭 And Finn shooting from so faraway and STILL hitting his target was so badass of him I’m happy I never switched up in Finn he’s such a nice good character

Lastly we got season 2 to look forward to and I’m hyped asf bc they’re so many plotline L’s that still need to be discussed and shit can’t wait😩🙌🏽

I’d give this a 8/10 rating but the animation was really good so gotta bump that up to a 9/10🔥
Treyv0nJan 31, 1:34 AM
Mar 29, 2023 10:52 AM

Jan 2021
Oh wow, so much stuff happened and it was one big chaotic final lol. 

I'm glad Chris got saved by an bullet from Finn, what an sharp shooter. Both Chris & Michel are doing fine now, so that's a relive. The Klondike girl on the other hand got an fatal death by an what seems to be an person in an armor suit or some sort, rip to her. 

The rest of the High Card who helped defending the huge building against those men, respect. They even went after Finn after the building was safe again, that's what i call family. 

Looking forward to Season 2 of the anime, I quite enjoyed this.
Mar 30, 2023 4:28 AM

Sep 2018
What a great way to end the arc – can't imagine a worse punishment for Chris the swindler, haha. The banter between him and Finn was definitely one of my favorite things about this show.

Overall the story felt a bit all over the place: the structure went from purely episodic to suddenly needing to process way more information than I was prepared to take and I'm still not sure if the Klondike family had any proper objective besides serving as... some sort of feint antagonists? I was just confused about their function and relevance honestly. Furthermore, found family is usually one of my favorite tropes but in this case it felt a bit artificial and by-the-book. To the show's defense, I have to admit that my viewing experience did end up suffering a little for watching this in irregular chunks instead of weekly/full binge thus I didn't enjoy it as much as I potentially could've.
Apr 2, 2023 3:02 AM
Oct 2017
It might have been the resolution we expected, but the road to get there sure didn't pull any punches. Seeing someone finally put that female antagonist on the backfoot was great, good to show Wendy getting to use her powers for a deserving opponent, and nice to see the cops get some payoff too! That last shot was no joke. Seeing everything come together in the end with Leo's powers building an entire road for them was a pretty awesome use of it too, then a single shot from far away to seal the deal.

Ultimately it was the character that pulled through in the finale, all the motives are understood bar what the Klondikes ae doing and I'm glad they didn't give Finn some kind of deus ex machina to save the day in the end. That simple metaphor with cutting the apple is also the kind of visual storytelling I've come to expect from High Card, which is still a real surprise.

Not utterly amazing, but what a lovely little surprise this show was.
Apr 9, 2023 6:31 AM
May 2021
Man loved this anime. Good finale and the last scene of season 1 with The Knight appearing 🔥🔥, he looked badass. Hyped for season 2
Apr 10, 2023 2:35 PM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
Detective taking out Love-P with a bonk was unexpectedly hilarious. I actually liked this as a whole way more than I was expecting to. 7/10.
I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
Apr 16, 2023 6:55 PM

Feb 2019
This anime is pretty, but that's it. The characters have small charisma, even though they try their hardest to prove you otherwise. The story is also quite boring
Jul 4, 2023 5:29 PM
May 2023
i love it, waiting for next season
Jul 14, 2023 6:27 PM

Jul 2016
AnimeSrk said:
The season was good, the fantasy element, the characters and a little bit of plot came together and made a really good series.

Thought it started well but really floundered at the end. Finn is a nothing character and the supporting high card members hold no real character strength other than Chris. 
Jul 19, 2023 9:18 AM
Aug 2021
Honestly not bad this Anime was very enjoyable. Still don't understand what was going through Ban K's head. Finally, he has broken out of his father's grasp bro disregarded a direct order. I was wondering once he is done using his ability can he just sell all of his items for money? Oh, we got to see the knight again for the first time in the present day. Season 2 confirmed excited to see what it brings.
Jul 26, 2023 10:30 PM
May 2023
IT WAS SUCH A GOOD LITTLE BINGE AND I CANT WAIT FOR SEASON TWO TO COME OUT

i cant wait to see what role the knight has and I'm so happy that everyone is okay in the end
Jul 31, 2023 5:52 PM

Feb 2018
A happy ending is good AND we're getting a s2?! Wow that was such a surprise but a welcomed one! :D
Oct 16, 2023 9:10 AM
May 2021
Season 2 coming in January 2024 , Excited!
Nov 25, 2023 6:11 PM

Aug 2023
can't wait for the 2nd season and chris is now the kohai(junior) of finn😂

but in the end the black knight turn out to be real.
Dec 23, 2023 3:40 AM

Jun 2023
Just finished s1, welp get excited for s2 let's goooooooooo
May 2, 12:15 AM

Aug 2019
I didn't know there was someone capable of defeating Love P.

I'm also pleased to see Chris and his sister save and sound!

And to see the gang back together.

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Card Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 20, 2023

27 by Sun_Chan »»
May 1, 11:53 PM

Poll: » High Card Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 13, 2023

36 by Sun_Chan »»
May 1, 11:29 PM

Poll: » High Card Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 6, 2023

24 by Sun_Chan »»
May 1, 11:05 PM

Poll: » High Card Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 27, 2023

41 by Sun_Chan »»
May 1, 10:41 PM

Poll: » High Card Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 20, 2023

37 by Sun_Chan »»
May 1, 10:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.