Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 26, 2023 3:15 PM
Sep 2019
I've heard mixed opinions on the ending and I just want to gather more thoughts to get a better idea of what people think. What do you think?
Mar 26, 2023 3:31 PM
Apr 2021
Johan should have died or something
would serve as a better salvation for his character
Mar 26, 2023 3:33 PM
Jun 2022
tristanxbidinger said:
I've heard mixed opinions on the ending and I just want to gather more thoughts to get a better idea of what people think. What do you think?

I think that the ending is probably one of the best in anime,
Mar 26, 2023 3:40 PM
Mar 2023
Imran_Sarker said:

I think the ending is supposed to be open ended, it’s never explicitly stated he got away, the window could signify his soul leaving, him escaping or neither, he could’ve died in that bed and a nurse just opened the window for fresh air
Mar 26, 2023 3:53 PM
Jul 2021
Imran_Sarker said:

If Johan died due to his perfect suicidal, that means Tenma was wrong, the equality that he believes is nothing. You need to understand this about philosophy of life rather than a vengeance
Mar 26, 2023 4:00 PM
Mar 2022
One of the best open ending I’ve ever seen
Mar 26, 2023 4:22 PM
Mar 2023
sup, the entire show is a masterpiece , maybe the ending wasnt what everyone expected but its not bad at all
Mar 26, 2023 4:23 PM
Dec 2020
open end cliff hanger ending = bad
Mar 26, 2023 4:30 PM
Mar 2023
nah not even a cliffhanger just an unexpected one
Mar 26, 2023 4:32 PM

Jul 2021
I don't have a single problem with it. Fantastic series all around.
Mar 26, 2023 4:34 PM
Apr 2021
tristanxbidinger said:

I didn’t really think it was bad, but could have been way better. I don’t like how was open ended and didn’t really have a true conclusion.
Mar 26, 2023 4:35 PM
Aug 2021
I hated that it was open-ended tbh. The biggest thing for me is that it doesn’t seem like he would just give up on his goal simply because he was saved. If he doesn’t give up his goal and the cycle just continues then what was the point of the story lol
Mar 26, 2023 5:27 PM

Apr 2016
It could be what I like the least in the whole series.
Monster is metaphoric at times, but always since a realistic scheme. That open ending... it was just coward for me.
Mar 26, 2023 5:41 PM
Jul 2018
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
open end cliff hanger ending = bad

not how that works but ok.
Mar 26, 2023 6:35 PM
Nov 2022
it can be frustrating at first, but great on observation

johan had lost all hope in life because he believed people were cruel at the core and was negatively nihilistic. being saved the 2nd time from a perfect suicide ultimately showed that life is not utterly meaningless/can't be defined by how someone dies.
if johan would've died, he would've gotten what he wanted and died believing he was right. he needed to know that his childhood doesn't define him. because he lived, tenma's philosophy shone through. killing a man-made monster instead of saving him wouldn't have done the show justice at all.
Mar 26, 2023 7:52 PM
Aug 2020
I think the ending fits perfectly, not only for the themes of the story, but also in terms of Tenma and Johan’s character. I understand why some aren’t fond of it, but I think it’s great
Mar 26, 2023 8:51 PM

Dec 2021
that's just one of the points of the show, leaving things to our interpretation. I personally liked the ending , it felt empty at first but then I realized how good it is. I think johan was dead in the end, i dont remember a lot but i dont think tenma knew about johans mother choosing between the twins, maybe the mother told him and then he saw a dream in the room where johan was supposed to be in but was not. (bc he died)
Mar 26, 2023 9:21 PM
Mar 2023
It felt like a peaceful death to be honest.
I’m glad Tenma didn’t prove his point by killing him.

I wish their was a better climax as to what Johan did at the orphanage and during his time at the mansion. Anna’s character CARRIED the show it was such a perfect character to put in because I believe the show would’ve been sooo bland and full of confusion with no temptation to solve the mystery.

The ending made me love Anne, Tenma and Dieter more and more.
Mar 26, 2023 9:49 PM
Dec 2019
compared to other urasawa ending (*coughs* 20th CB), one of the better endings for sure.
Mar 26, 2023 9:59 PM
Feb 2022
I woke up from the dream. There were so many visions I had of the end, but now I'm picturing a different ending altogether; a clearer vision of the true ending. - Johan Liebert
Mar 26, 2023 10:42 PM
Dec 2022
Amazing ending honestly
Mar 27, 2023 1:11 AM
Jan 2022
I’ve heard the interpretation that Johan is supposed to represent the devil himself, and that Tenma is supposed to represent the ultimate good/being an angel, and from that pov the ending is great, but from a purely storytelling and suspense-driven pov, it hurt me so much that this epic saga ends with something that feels like such a cop out.
Mar 27, 2023 1:48 AM
Feb 2021
literally perfect idc
Mar 27, 2023 5:08 AM
Oct 2020
I felt it was prefect. Showing evilness still remains in everyone and you never know what's gonna happen next
Mar 27, 2023 5:50 AM
Aug 2020
I think monster has the best ending scene of any tv show I’ve seen honestly. I think it’s unsatisfying in the most perfect way. But it’s definitely not an ending that I would expect to be an overall crowd pleaser either.
Mar 27, 2023 9:06 AM
Jul 2020
I think the ending of Monster is in my opinion one of the best endings in anime history and one of the best cliffhangers/open endings. I know that not everyone like the ending because it was open. I would have prefer a completed ending to their the story is offical finished. On the other hand i think the decision of Naoki Urasawa to make a cliffhanger or better say a open ending was not bad, it was more likely a very special way to end a magnificent story and anime to. When I watched the last scene of Monster their Johan looked directly to Tenma in his eyes. I was completly in shocked and got frightened because this moment came out of nowhere but when it was shown that it was not really real because Johan was still sleeping i could rest briefly for a moment. Furthermore when Tenma was leaving the hospital and when the anime shows afterwards that Johan was not in his bed anymore i was completly out of my mind. I freaked out and i couldn't believed that it ended like this. Afterwards looking back at this ending after more than 2 years it shows very good how Johan could be still alive and go on with his perfect suicide or he could start a new life that likely is not going to happened. It was just in my mind when I watched the last scene in that moment but knowing how great his character as a antagonist was i think i'm happy with it that he is still alive even if he could murder more people. I know it sounds a little bit weird but to just show how Johan could be still alive or (maybe not) is a good way to end monster even if i would prefer a closed ending to. At least the ending shows to that Johans story is still not finished and the journey of the nameless monster is still going on even after all the episodes on how Tenma wanted to stop Johan. Therefore the last minutes of monster shows to If Johan was really the real monster because of the decision of his mother in her past not knowing which of her kids was Johan or not and eventually giving him to Franz Bonaparta forced. It shows many questions to at this specific open ending. This could be the reason to why some watchers dont really like the ending of Monster because the ending opens a lot of questions for them and for me to. But I think this ending wanted to be in our mind forever and It achieved it and some of the questions that i have after watching Monster is of course still not answered but because of this special ending i will remember it for my hole life and that is for me a very positive point even if it is frustrating that we will never have answers for our questions and what will excatly happend after Johan escape out of the hospital. All in all I will still remember this ending as one of the most remarkable and well-known anime endings of all time even if it could have end maybe in a different way but it is still for me a very good ending.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 27, 2023 9:15 AM
Mar 2023
open ending .....
Mar 27, 2023 9:16 AM

Aug 2020
It's a masterpiece of an ending.
Mar 27, 2023 9:27 AM
Mar 2023
People proving they don''t know what open ending means. 

"An open ending is an ending to a story or novel where not all of the details are wrapped up and leave the reader wondering how it will end. "

That's not how Monster ends, as everything is wrapped up at the end and Johan's fate was left to be ambigious on purpose but the ending does not make you wonder what will happen to him or other characters..
LopopolMar 27, 2023 9:36 AM
Mar 27, 2023 10:20 AM
Jan 2021
Not a bad ending. I think Johan should’ve died. Woulda fit his character better imo.
Mar 27, 2023 10:50 AM
Mar 2023
An end offering a perspective of each ensemble. This end is still the unknown, where we tend but we can't reach.
Mar 27, 2023 11:56 AM
Sep 2022
Can Anyone explain Monster Ending?
Mar 27, 2023 3:51 PM
Nov 2020
i think is pretty god damn god but some little things like Johan open conclusion i think they could do it better
Mar 28, 2023 8:55 AM
May 2022
the ending honestly seemed perfect to me for the simple fact that the philosophy of the anime was interpreted perfectly, I have never seen an ending that was so perfect. The main philosophy/theme of the anime is the monster that is inside all of us, the monster that can fully control us...but what if we are actually the monster? What if in fact no one controls us, what if in fact the real answer is that each person has 2 sides of the same coin that he controls?This is one of the many philosophies of the anime, the fact that we all have pure control over the monster, but people don't want to accept that... if you kill a person and feel sorry/guilty, you start to become paranoid and say that it's not you who pulled the trigger, that's just pure denial, just like everyone denies the horrible actions that they carried out. Why? Probably because they believe that only the moral half exists, and the other dark half is just an illusion, but no, the illusion is their perception towards themselves, towards their true self. that's what I liked the most about the anime, the interpretation of the philosophy and the ending interpreted the philosophy perfectly. That's why I love the ending more than the anime itself. the message sent by the author is that there will always be shadows as long as there is light, that there will always be a well-balanced balance between good and evil, and Tenma and Johan are the human manifestations of these philosophies, they are 2 sides of the same coin, they are very different but also very similar, that's why it's also my favorite dynamic (in all of fiction) and the ending proves the author's message because at the end Johan's soul was saved, he realized that human nature can be disgusting, ugly but at the same time also beautiful, he realised this because of the fact that tenma saved him even though his goal was to kill him...why did he do it? Because he is a doctor, he saves lives, not extinguish them. But Johan didn't believe that, he thought that the monster could eat the man, but the monster didn't eat Tenma, Tenma ate the monster. Since Johan realizes that his perception towards human nature is not the embodied truth he changes. Johan always perceived himself as the "unwanted child" of the world, and Tenma saving him had a huge impact on him and my interpretation is that this impact shattered his nihilistic view upon life. That's why i think that now Johan is a different person, at least my theory is that the monster became human and now the story starts from 0 Johan wants to go on a different path from now on...not on the path of light, not on the path of darkness, on the path between them, the balanced one. And this is how Naoki Urasawa made a perfect ending, interpreting the purpose of the anime in a perfect way.
Mar 28, 2023 10:02 AM

Aug 2020
Saumay69 said:
Can Anyone explain Monster Ending?
which part of the ending?
Mar 28, 2023 10:25 AM
Oct 2022
i think the ending was like a 6.5/10
but ......
the act before that..... where alllll the characters introduced in the series come together in a massacre in a remote village..... that, was absolutely insane
Mar 29, 2023 10:25 AM

Jan 2021
Because it took the series fucking 76 episodes just for the last episode to return to the same exact beginning we had, it just returned to episode one all over again with the answer to Tenma's moral dilemma being the obvious "yes" it was always going to be.
Mar 29, 2023 3:26 PM

Aug 2020
Ionliosite2 said:
Because it took the series fucking 76 episodes just for the last episode to return to the same exact beginning we had, it just returned to episode one all over again with the answer to Tenma's moral dilemma being the obvious "yes" it was always going to be.
Oof, an Eva fan.

JetAway said:
it's not that it's an open ending, it actively ruins the show. The whole point of Monster is Tenma trying to take accountability for saving Johan. Having Tenma save Johan again is bonkers. It puts him right where he was in the beginning of the show, basically saying that the show's events didn't matter.
no it didn't ruin it at all. The point of Tenma saving Johan again was that the latter turned human again hence the empty bed. Tenma achieved that while STILL maintaining his morals.
Mar 29, 2023 8:19 PM

Aug 2020
JetAway said:
TRC_Randy said:
Oof, an Eva fan.

no it didn't ruin it at all. The point of Tenma saving Johan again was that the latter turned human again hence the empty bed. Tenma achieved that while STILL maintaining his morals.

that's an interpretation. Johan simply leaving his bed does not tell you he was reformed
well remember Grimmer said "i finally know the ending to the Magnificent Steiner. He turned human again." right before his death and considering Monster's about human nature that "interpretation" makes perfect sense. The first time Tenma treated Johan, he saved his life. The second time, he saved his SOUL.
Mar 29, 2023 8:23 PM

Aug 2020
JetAway said:
TRC_Randy said:
well remember Grimmer said "i finally know the ending to the Magnificent Steiner. He turned human again." right before his death and considering Monster's about human nature that "interpretation" makes perfect sense. The first time Tenma treated Johan, he saved his life. The second time, he saved his SOUL.

Bruh. He was talking about himself
and for the show's narrative in general not just Johan. You see you won't realize all these things unless you follow the key lines in the dialogue and link them altogether.
Mar 29, 2023 8:55 PM

Aug 2020
JetAway said:
TRC_Randy said:
and for the show's narrative in general not just Johan. You see you won't realize all these things unless you follow the key lines in the dialogue and link them altogether.

Look I’m not saying that Johan turning human isn’t supported by lines of dialogue. I’m just saying that a few hints do not even come close to confirming what happened to Johan.
i don't see how "confirmation" being a MUST in fiction especially for a partially show-don't-tell series like Monster.

JetAway said:
And besides that. I simply don’t like that Tenma chose to save Johan. He wouldn’t know that Johan would turn good even if Johan actually did turn good like you say. To me, it’s as if Tenma was ok with letting a murderer roam free for his foolish ideology.
everyone has their own ideologies so it's not a matter of it being foolish or not (unless maybe you can prove it objectively).

The point is that:
1. Tenma believes all human lives are equal and no one has the right to take another human's life,
2. Johan believes the opposite (not exactly but kind of),
3. killing Johan would mean violating his own principle AND stepping one foot into Johan's ideology.
4. By saving him Tenma maintained his morality, prevented (3) and even
5. changed Johan from monster back to human.
6. In other words Tenma actually beat Johan ideologically with his action. "An act of kindness saves the day" you could say.
Mar 31, 2023 10:52 AM
Dec 2021
The ending was just not good no matter what ppl say
Apr 3, 2023 12:59 PM
Feb 2023
I won't to know if Johan and nina’s mother still alive why she did things such as number1: why did she gave them nina instead of Johan and 2: why is she in that place why did she left Johan alone🤔
Hi my name is Laura and I love to watch anime especially sports anime. My favorite anime are 1-Hajime no Ippo, 2- Slam Dunk, 3- Skate Leading Stars, and Cheer Danish!! and finally Haikyu! I also like to play video games I don't have a specific kind of video games, but I like to play Resident Evil, Mine Craft, Metal Gear, Sniper Elite, Crash, Call of Duty and so on. 

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 12, 2008

109 by BerserkGUTS »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 44 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trie - Mar 10, 2008

435 by Spyral_Grayson »»
May 20, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by FinLuke »»
May 20, 10:52 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 7, 2008

109 by tectacles »»
May 19, 2:55 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 6, 2008

130 by tectacles »»
May 12, 6:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.