Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 14, 2023 9:07 AM
Nov 2021
So I was just rewatching this and tried to find how kirito returned from dead in episode 14 and I personally think it was not his 'will power' but the object he gave to klein in one previous episode ...what are your thoughts on this?

(Also my first forum post so sorry for any unintentional mistakes)
Mar 14, 2023 9:29 AM

Jul 2021
feasible. Klein must've not watched a single person die since he got it, or decided to let them die and save it for a more important person.

but the fact that asuna managed to override the paralysis effect doesn't have any other explanation, so the truth of it all is most likely the "break the laws of the game through willpower" crap.
Mar 14, 2023 9:31 AM
Jul 2022
I think it’s not very likely. The whole point of the “will” thingy in SAO (Kirito's golden eyes) are supposed to foreshadow this characteristic of the cardinal system that basically materializes (digitally ofc) a person’s will.
For my interpretation, this is supposed to just be a predecessor for the Incarnation concept later used in Underworld where the whole system magnifies a person’s will and imagination given that the Alicization project was built with the World Seed aka the Cardinal system (in combination with Ordinal Scale's Ordinal system for the memory manipulation thing in the anime canon)
Having Klein use the item on Kirito kinda defeats the whole purpose of this concept
tAb0Mar 14, 2023 9:35 AM
Mar 14, 2023 9:34 AM

Jan 2017
S1H2A3N said:
So I was just rewatching this and tried to find how kirito returned from dead in episode 14 and I personally think it was not his 'will power' but the object he gave to klein in one previous episode ...what are your thoughts on this?

Klein was paralysed , so he can't use the item.
It really just was the power of "I'm the protagonist".

tAb0 said:
The whole point of the “will” thingy in SAO (Kirito's golden eyes) are supposed to foreshadow this characteristic of the cardinal system that basically materializes (digitally ofc) a person’s will.

It's not what i would call foreshadowing.

Also , there is not only the golden eyes of Kirito , there was things like the ghost of Griselda in Episode 06.
Alexioos95Mar 14, 2023 9:38 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Mar 14, 2023 9:38 AM
Jul 2022
Alexioos95 said:
S1H2A3N said:

Klein was paralysed , so he can't use the item.
It really just was the power of "I'm the protagonist".

tAb0 said:
The whole point of the “will” thingy in SAO (Kirito's golden eyes) are supposed to foreshadow this characteristic of the cardinal system that basically materializes (digitally ofc) a person’s will.

It's not what i would call foreshadowing.

Also , there is not only the golden eyes of Kirito , there was things like the ghost of Griselda in Episode 06.

Well, you’re right about that one. But I think it’s still obvious that the Incarnation thing is an evolved iteration of the thing we saw in s1.
Not that it stops being protagonist BS, but at least the author handled it nicely putting a name on it
Mar 16, 2023 4:48 AM

Nov 2010
There's a short window before the nervgear would fry your game. And it's explained a few times that kirito has some understanding of how the cardinal system works. And yes, this is how he could "cheat death" and end the game (and with that both asuna and kirito survived. The game finished before it could kill them)

In alicization they explain how they could build AI from existing "souls" further helping the point, kirito wasn't physically dead yet.

I think it's just because of anime limitations that there's some things that are explained poorly or not at all.
For example, Steins;Gate's anime is great but the visual novel shows you so much more giving you a better grasp on how much the main character suffered.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2012

544 by Kraum »»
May 26, 11:59 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2012

491 by spillkongen »»
May 26, 11:48 AM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.