Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2023 5:55 AM

Jul 2017
Finn's backstory is oh-so-traumatizing, what's really egging at his past?

Mr. Apple not satisfied with Chris's relationship with Finn, and the latter's trip back to Sun Fields Orphanage encountering a new kid, it'll take some time for him to get used to the new environment. While the Klondike family celebrate over their bonds, the new kid Sam is just like Finn: being taken care of by the caretaker Lindsey, and this is his new family. With Lindsey's birthday celebration, Sun Fields on the verge of shutting down and the kids transported to new homes, while Finn is the only way to keep the orphanage alive, Lindsey can't accept his generosity.

To make matters worse, Bobby Ball comes back to haunt him, gatecrashing the birthday party as revenge for getting the last seat of the Klondike family. And once again, amidst his nightmares popping up, Sam is still stuck in the orphanage, and Finn can only rescue him out of trouble. Lindsey's words come biting back into Finn by thrashing the daylight out of Bobby, and this the the 1st time where 2 cards are used for the killer X-Hand combo.

Bobby, having research thoroughly on Finn, attempts to recreate young Finn's suffering, and from a blast that came from nowhere, annihilated Bobby on the spot.

What a traumatic episode for Finn.
Feb 27, 2023 7:09 AM

Jan 2019
The plot armour is thick in this one. For a guy who's power is supposedly perfect accuracy, Finn sure does miss most of his shots.

Feb 27, 2023 7:10 AM

Mar 2020
This was a weird episode, can't say I really enjoyed this one. Finn's backstory is definitely a sad one, and I did like Finn's relationship with the orphanage and the kids. Sam reminded Finn of himself after losing everything, and seeing all the kids and how the orphanage helped him in the past, he's desperate to keep it running.

Bobby Ball returning was not that great, no real motive there except to make Finn suffer, just another cackling villain. I wonder who killed him though. Overall, a bit of a weak episode, let's hope the remaining ones build upon this a bit better.
Feb 27, 2023 8:14 AM

Jan 2021
Finn's past is rather bothersome to him, It seems, his house got burned down and his parents got killed in the process. 

Finn goes back to Sun Fields where he was raised, he meets Lindsey again and there's also a new face, his name is Sam. Apparently its Lindsey's birthday that day and all the kids are out to celebrate his birthday, which is wholesome. 

Bobby decides to appear out of nowhere and ruin the whole party, he still wants revenge on Finn it seems like. The two battle and everything goes up in flames, Finn knowing what has happened in the past goes blank, he only looks back in the past but then he seems Sam still in the house, he goes and saves him and Sam is now safe. Finn & Bobby continue their fight and Finn lands one punch and Bobby goes flying lmao, but Bobby now has 2 cards, and he creates X-Hand, which is super powerful, Finn being closed in sees no way out but then suddenly out of nowhere one big blast comes from an window and kills Bobby in the process, Finn is now saved but the orphanage is gone, that's just sad. I'm glad at least that they're all safe. 

This episode was traumatic and saddening.
__andre__Feb 27, 2023 8:31 AM
Feb 27, 2023 8:15 AM
Oct 2021
i had a LOU flashback when they said the kid's name was Sam lol, glad nothing bad happened to him (((:
Feb 27, 2023 9:46 AM

Feb 2019
This was a really nice episode. Seeing Finn’s backstory and how he was able to relate to the orphans at sunny fields was sweet. I love how he was able to cheer up Sam after relating his experiences to him.

Really feel for Finn having to relive his past trauma though, that was very rough to watch. Wonder who our mystery guy is
Feb 27, 2023 10:11 AM

May 2019
Good episode on Finn's backstory. I wonder why Lindsey was keeping information from Finn from what happened to him? Maybe either to make Finn feel a little better or perhaps something more sinister (it did bother me that Lindsey didn't want to see Finn anymore). Also, it looks like someone took care of Bobby from miles away, interesting.
Feb 27, 2023 10:12 AM

Oct 2022
Yeah probably Finn’s backstory also in the next episode. So many elements that needed to be explained and only four episodes left. For now there aren’t worthy twists.

Feb 27, 2023 10:47 AM
Nov 2018
okay, so the guy from the beginning want his revenge, but the problem is that this anime is about retrieving card. My question is since they want all the card, why didn't they take the bad guy card in episode 1, because I thought that's what happen, but no appenrently he still has is card. This anime insult my intelligence.
Feb 27, 2023 11:31 AM
May 2020
no entiendo nada, no hay hilo argumental parece, en cada cap pasa algo distinto al anterior y ya
Feb 27, 2023 12:11 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Things are literally heating up in this episode as Finn's past comes back to haunt him when he encounters Bobby at the orphanage. To make matters worse Booby had two cards which allowed him to create a powerful X-hand that made him indestructible. Unfortunately for Bobby, he was killed by the hands of the Klondike family for not only going rouge, but revealing the power of X-Hand to High Card that allowed him to cause a scene involving multiple witnesses. Seems like Finn remembers everything that happened that night, but once again we are left with more questions than answers. 
Feb 27, 2023 1:14 PM

Oct 2011
I'm really disapointed with this anime. I really enjoyed the first few episodes with character introductions but then it went downhill so fast. The plot feels all over the place; there's no clear direction. I'm going to finish the anime but I'm not excited every week to watch it anymore.

ForeverTraitor said:
The plot armour is thick in this one. For a guy who's power is supposedly perfect accuracy, Finn sure does miss most of his shots.
This..
Feb 27, 2023 2:59 PM
Apr 2020
I did like that we got to see Finn visit the orphanage and exploring this part of his character and past. But the action part was a little off: 
The candy guy has a silly power but there is a real danger and horror coming from his close combat abilities, but in this episode he was mostly a shooter. And Finn, who already has proven himself to be a at least somewhat capable shot suddenly has the aim of a storm trooper and goes in for the punch? They basically flipped the script on them. 

Is the woman killing the candy man the same who infiltrated that castle in the opening scene, ep 1?

But LOL, I didn't see it coming, that the Apple guy is going to be all jealous 😂 I wonder if he is going to more important than I thought 
Feb 27, 2023 3:25 PM
Feb 2021
Finn going in melee against a man with death's touch was not a good move. he also just somehow gained storm trooper aim despite having landed three shots on the exact same position on a katana, and the katana was being swung, this guy might as well be a ruler cause he's stationary. There's also the whole two cards thing, so is it one card per person or what? Why is Bobby just suddenly able to use someone else's card? If he just got lucky and was given two cards, why would their organization want to kill such a valuable asset seeing how it must be pretty damn rare for that to happen. 
Feb 27, 2023 3:26 PM

May 2018
This is kinda gay, I mean, why would Finn give flowers to his former foster parent , when he could've have given him either booz or something to eat ....

Whoa,who the fuck just saved Finn?
Feb 27, 2023 3:56 PM

Dec 2018
so i don't know if people know this but in spades, the 2 is actually a good card to play at the right time, i mean sure it's weak but it beats most of the rest of the deck on its own. anyways, sad episode. i want to know more about the book.
Feb 27, 2023 5:06 PM

Jan 2011
was he missing on purpose? so many shots sometimes at close range an almost none hit the target
Feb 27, 2023 5:12 PM

Dec 2022
the stakes have raised!
multiple card hands are in play!
it's officially a crazy game of poker!
Feb 27, 2023 5:27 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
bad guy: EXPLODES

literally 2 seconds later: EPISODE ENDS

based

lindsey be like: 

someone hits you? don't hit back.

they're kinda bad? BEAT THE SH*T OUTTA THEM

and finn be like:

guess I'm a stormtrooper now
BetaMaleUltraFeb 27, 2023 5:31 PM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 27, 2023 6:33 PM
Apr 2021
Aww I feel bad for Finn and his heartbreaking past I hope my boy overcomes it and I see ppl shitting on Finn for missing a lot of his shots and tbh I think he’s missing on purpose bc he doesn’t want to kill his enemies, I mean he shot the dude who used x-card and shot him straight in the forehead im pretty ire Finn can kill his enemies he just doesn’t want to
Feb 27, 2023 10:09 PM

Oct 2018
Lucky for Finn he got his ass saved by bomb ex machina. Looks like the "all kaboom" girl from ep 1
~Spiritual Healing~

Feb 28, 2023 3:08 AM
Jan 2020
the fuck happened to the animation
Feb 28, 2023 6:35 AM
May 2011
This episode was a mess
Feb 28, 2023 8:07 AM
Feb 2021
Treyv0n said:
Aww I feel bad for Finn and his heartbreaking past I hope my boy overcomes it and I see ppl shitting on Finn for missing a lot of his shots and tbh I think he’s missing on purpose bc he doesn’t want to kill his enemies, I mean he shot the dude who used x-card and shot him straight in the forehead im pretty ire Finn can kill his enemies he just doesn’t want to

Mate he doesn't know if the x card renders his enemy immune to bullets or not. He just got lucky his opponent was. And he could have shot a non vital area if he was against killing, like the shoulder, arm, leg, etc.
Feb 28, 2023 9:59 AM

Feb 2020
I kinda loosely read that Finn was really not in a sane space mentally during that fight, and that likely made him a lot less accurate. The flash of him seeing his opponent as the knight from his dream/memory and rapidly firing in a panic at it I think kinda hints at that. That said it was definitely a bit too contrived to make him that storm troopery, but I'm not sure what else you can really do but make every opponent he faces in this show immune in some way to his bullets like this one was, since a protagonist who can end any encounter with a perfectly accurate shot every time does not make for good action.

Also notable that visibility with all the smoke is a bit rough, I'm not sure he's ever *directly* shot a person before, he's always fired grazing shots in the show. So if he's aiming for grazing shots instead of centre-mass shots in visibility this poor it's likely he was slightly off, compounded with the mental trauma and panic as well.
bannanawafflesFeb 28, 2023 10:03 AM
Feb 28, 2023 4:41 PM

Sep 2021
So after the comedy and drama of last episode, this week's brings back the flashy action and more on Finn's backstory. Only the part he knew himself though, as he has no memory of his life before the orphanage. And in spite of the fiery rematch between Finn and Bobby, this felt much like a build-up episode, with many new questions and mysteries in the room. 

It seems that there is more to both Mr. Apple and Lindsay. And there are at least three - possibly four - new characters who only got a "silent shot" of screentime - the pink-hair Klondike guy, the girl who joined him in the car, whoever was in Mr. Apple's car and the women who killed Bobby with that missile launcher ability (but that might've been the girl from before). And then, we also see double play in action. That seems really powerful and additionally goes against the "card finds it's owner" rule, as I doubt Bobby would be so lucky to have two cards alligned to him. Also, what happend to his cards as he burned down with the orphanage?

Also, it is a mystery why Bobby knew about Finn's past. I doubt the Klondike Mafia told him, because they seemingly wanted him dead and had no intention to make sure he kills Finn first. Personally, I'm getting terrible Tiger & Bunny flashbacks here, with the fire, amnesia and manipulation...

Next week looks like more development on Finn and Chris' relationship. I'm looking forward to it. Maybe it is as I hoped, and the forced hand holding was not just for the comedy, but rather a setup for a deeper relationship. 

And finally: How will they wrap this up in just four more episodes? This series does a really good job at setting up a lot of interesting characters and mysteries, so I hope it wont be rushed. And god forbid another"play the game to start the story" like Smile of Arsnotoria! I wouldn't mind a second season though!
Mar 1, 2023 11:23 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Funny to see Mr. Apple as a recurring character. I think he has a thing for Finn, just a thought though.

Regardless, while the animation wasn't great and Finn missed a lot of his shots, we did get more information about his past and this event triggered it nicely. I wonder though who the guy who saved him was and what happened to the bad guy's card. There's the X hand deal as well to figure so basically different things to disect.

Good episode
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Mar 2, 2023 11:27 AM
Jan 2021
marble guy is a physco. How did the orphange get burned down twice?
Mar 3, 2023 12:35 AM
Aug 2021
amazing show, I'm already thrilled from the start
Mar 4, 2023 3:37 AM

Oct 2016
I thought Lindsey was going to die. Fortunately, he didn't. At least not yet.
And he needs to give Finn an explanation. Maybe he lied to protect Finn? I mean, to keep him away from the Klondikes, but Finn eventually ended up facing them anyway. Lindsey doesn't seem like the type of person who'd lie for a malicious reason.
Mar 5, 2023 5:02 PM
Jan 2018
Bobby Ball wasn't fun a villain, just a traumatizing one. Finn clearly has severe PTSD, which made him super nerfed this episode. Bobby went for psychological warfare to ensure his win. It was actually a nice plot point, tho I suppose it could have been explained better.

This show acts like it has 24 episodes to tell a story, but it doesn't. I hope this show does well enough to tell a better story in season 2. The bones of this story are solid. It's the execution that is lacking.
Mar 6, 2023 6:03 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
long distance shoot!!! kekeke

a player can use some cards at the same time!!!
Mar 6, 2023 6:04 PM
Oct 2019
Damn Goblin slayer kill Finn family?

Man not the orphanage as well.
Mar 7, 2023 11:52 AM

Jul 2022
ngl that was kinda boring and the animated degraded, but anyway now they can use two card, huh. weird but ok
Mar 9, 2023 9:32 AM

Aug 2019
Did they like forget what Finn's ability was? Isn't he supposed to not miss? How is he missing every single shot. And why does Bobby get like an infinite amount of marbles at some parts without actually turning things into marbles? He's not even throwing them in some parts. And Finn has super strength now? And now that Bobby can regenerate, Finn is hitting all his shots?

What was this episode bro -_-

Both Finn's life and the lives of the kids in Sunny Fields were in danger, yet Finn let that escalate way too far. Another 2/5 episode :(
Mar 9, 2023 9:38 AM

Aug 2019
ForeverTraitor said:
Bro fr I hated this episode. That was actually just garbage how that played out. He missed like pretty much all of his shots until Bobby used that second card that let him regenerate because ofc. I've been enjoying this, but wow this episode and the last were terrible imo :(
Mar 24, 2023 3:59 PM

Nov 2021
Damn you Lindsey, WHY would you say that to poor Finn??? Like isn't it good he comes to help you out and vist all the kids too??? It's his family too,,,that's so mean- 💔

AND ISN'T HIS CARD'S ABLITY ALSO ACCURACY??? BRO was shooting like a storm trooper-

Mar 25, 2023 1:05 PM

Jan 2014
Lol, I think Finn should join stormtroopers since he suddenly can't hit anything. This ep was total garbage. I am quite disappointed.
Jul 5, 2023 5:31 AM

Jul 2016
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
This is kinda gay, I mean, why would Finn give flowers to his former foster parent , when he could've have given him either booz or something to eat ....

Lol... 

Look at this guy.
Jul 7, 2023 11:41 AM
Aug 2021
So we got to find out more about Finn's past. He got banned from visiting the orphanage which is unfortunate because they were the only family he knew. Wait u can use more than 1 card! Who shot that rocket off?
Jul 31, 2023 5:50 PM

Feb 2018
Mr Apple being sussy for Finn?? On a more serious note though, it went from wholesome happy birthday party to inferno real fast >_< Finn remembers more of his past!
May 1, 10:41 PM

Aug 2019
Leave the orphanage alone like seriously. Don't mess with children and orphanages. Thank you very much.

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Card Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 27, 2023

42 by Sun_Chan »»
May 2, 12:15 AM

Poll: » High Card Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 20, 2023

27 by Sun_Chan »»
May 1, 11:53 PM

Poll: » High Card Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 13, 2023

36 by Sun_Chan »»
May 1, 11:29 PM

Poll: » High Card Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 6, 2023

24 by Sun_Chan »»
May 1, 11:05 PM

Poll: » High Card Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 20, 2023

37 by Sun_Chan »»
May 1, 10:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.