Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2023 9:20 PM

Feb 2012
Volume 9, Chapter 2:

My enjoyment of the Haruhi Suzumiya novels has decreased with each new one, and this chapter is a great example why. Kyon has already completed his character arc but the story just keeps on going on. We have already read 8 volumes where the SOS Brigade have had to do many wild and crazy things to work around Haruhi's impulses and desires. One would think Kyon would be glad to have Haruhi lose those powers if it was possible. This should be one of the most tempting offers Kyon has faced because there is a good argument that giving Sasaki those powers would be better for everyone in the SOS Brigade. Instead Kyon is instantly opposed to the idea due to personal animosity.

It is perfectly good for the story for Kyon to refuse the transfer the power, but it would be better for Kyon as a character if this was a hard decision that took most of the book to answer. It would be a great point of character development, but as I stated before it seems like Kyon has already fully developed as a character.
Feb 25, 2023 11:40 AM

Feb 2015
Wow, I'm so happy there's a recent post looking to discuss the later novels lol. I've been tearing through them the past week, just finished Surprise this morning, and I'm dying to discuss them with somebody.

I was totally geeking out for the cafe meeting between Sasaki, Fujiwara, Tachibana, Kuyou and Kyon, but the whole scene is so clumsy. To me, it's understandable Kyon wouldn't want to cooperate with them (mad at Tachibana/Fujiwara for the kidnapping, doesn't want to betray his pals, likes Haruhi how she is), but he doesn't even inquire into what this Haruhi-Sasaki godswap would entail—the details of which would have added a lot of depth and weight to the plot line for readers and would've possibly given real merit to going along with it. 

Neither Kyon nor Sasaki seem to have any intention of going along with the plan, the plan itself feels half-baked, and the motivations of the three attempting to carry it out are unclear and uncompelling. After all, if Sasaki's not interested, the whole shebang is a non-starter (her utter indifference toward obtaining these powers is extremely unbelievable to me). You'd think that foisting god powers upon an unwilling host in the hope that they'd use them more responsibly could very well backfire, but this just never occurs to them. The fact that we're just now getting introduced to Sasaki also defangs a lot of the impact, especially since the preceding novel had the perfect chance to introduce her.

More topics from this board

» New Haruhi novel announced

Pitto_ - Sep 24, 2023

16 by infamousHeroic »»
May 3, 9:51 AM

» Intuition Thoughts/Opinions

Sosbrigade_123 - Jun 24, 2021

6 by anizawa89 »»
Jan 21, 11:25 AM

» Can I mark this series complete after Intuition?

ProsjektAero - Jun 2, 2023

5 by abystoma2 »»
Sep 2, 2023 11:51 AM

Poll: » Best light novel in the series?

EnduringInsanity - Apr 24, 2013

11 by removed-user »»
Mar 14, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Suzumiya Haruhi Series Chapter 1 Discussion

JowaPlays - Oct 11, 2021

2 by Joshhhp »»
Dec 16, 2022 11:48 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.