Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2023 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
Personally, I disagree. The definition of iyashikei is "a genre which heals the audience through a heavy focus on atmosphere, usually using the Japanese aesthetic of mono no aware in order to find beauty in any number of mundane situations. Iyashikei series move at a slow, calming pace, forgoing tension whether it be in narrative or comedic form."

Now, I personally believe that this definition is too limiting because it leaves out works like Usagi Drop, where there isn't a strong emphasis on atmosphere, 3-gatsu no Lion, where there is too much drama, and Ghibli and Makoto Shinkai films, where what's happening isn't always mundane, but I don't see how you can stretch it to include Monster.

Despite the fact that the series indeed moves very slowly and has a heavy emphasis on atmosphere, I don't think there is any focus on mundane situations and I don't know how people would consider it healing in any shape or form. On the contrary, I believe it is very serious and dark. But, I can understand how it may be — in the remotest of terms — argued that Monster does in fact offer comfort to the viewer, that is, through the main character, Dr. Kenzo Tenma. Even if I disagree with Monster being an iyashikei, please let me play the devil's advocate to start a constructive conversation.

Throughout the series, Tenma acts as a source of healing for those around him. His good deeds and selfless actions provide a sense of hope and inspiration to the people he encounters. For example, Tenma saves the life of a young boy named Dieter, who was being held hostage by a criminal. By doing so, he not only saves the boy's life, but he also gives him the strength to overcome his traumatic experiences. Similarly, Tenma once helps a Turkish neighbourhood get through a fire, a very troubled situation. We see his countless acts of kindness like this throughout the series.

So, as the series reminds us that kindness that can exist in this cruel world even in the midst of tragedy, I see how some people may view Monster as an iyashikei.The healing power of kindness and compassion shown through Tenma can definitely offer a sense of comfort and solace to viewers. But I'm still not convinced. Since the elements in the show aren't ones I think support Iyashikei, I actually really think this is a pretty poor case.

I've written a lengthy post, but it was because I simply can't see any justifications for calling it an iyashikei. Am I missing something? Also, Monster is one of my favorite shows, so this has nothing to do with me "hating it." I simply wrote this post so I wrote this post just to refine my thoughts on one of my faves.
Feb 17, 2023 2:37 PM

Apr 2018
Monster is not an iyashikei.

The iyashikei genre seeks to make the viewer feel comfortable and calm watching a show, regardless of the theme. Normally the iyashikei are accompanied by the slice of life or comedies because these are not made to tell a linear story, but to "heal" the viewer with self-contained stories.

Monster does not have that style because throughout the work there is a suspense with mature themes of violence, politics, murder, conspiracy, corruption, etc etc etc. As slow as it is, the tension that Temma faces against a child who controls and manipulates the system does not make this a series suitable for all audiences.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Feb 17, 2023 2:58 PM

Jan 2021
No. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

I don't think if you hated it you would call it an iyashikei since that isn't a derogative term, just in case.
Feb 17, 2023 3:06 PM

Jul 2021
Monster isn't an iyashikei. It's a trashy romance drama, that's slowed down by some garbage murder plot.
There really should have been more screen time for Best Girl Eva. ♥

Tenma, Anna and Johan really ruined the show.
But anyway, I was happy how Eva's plot was resolved, even if she got kinda pushed aside...
One happy ending doesn't maketh iyashikei.
Feb 17, 2023 3:20 PM
Jul 2022
Nah Monster is too gripping to be an iyashikei, you can’t stop watching when you start. I’d say Master Keaton is more of an iyashikei. Super calming and wholesome and episodic
Feb 17, 2023 3:21 PM
Dec 2021
JaniSIr said:
Monster isn't an iyashikei. It's a trashy romance drama, that's slowed down by some garbage murder plot.

But anyway, I was happy how Eva's plot was resolved, even if she got kinda pushed aside...

Now that's interesting, I never knew Eva Heinemann herself had a MAL account
Feb 17, 2023 4:09 PM

Jul 2021
green_jp said:
JaniSIr said:

Now that's interesting, I never knew Eva Heinemann herself had a MAL account

I have no idea where could you possibly hallucinate hints that I didn't think 100% seriously everything I wrote there.
Feb 18, 2023 8:00 AM
Aug 2018
alotlikecars said:
Personally, I disagree. The definition of iyashikei is "a genre which heals the audience through a heavy focus on atmosphere, usually using the Japanese aesthetic of mono no aware in order to find beauty in any number of mundane situations. Iyashikei series move at a slow, calming pace, forgoing tension whether it be in narrative or comedic form."

Now, I personally believe that this definition is too limiting because it leaves out works like Usagi Drop, where there isn't a strong emphasis on atmosphere, 3-gatsu no Lion, where there is too much drama, and Ghibli and Makoto Shinkai films, where what's happening isn't always mundane, but I don't see how you can stretch it to include Monster.

Despite the fact that the series indeed moves very slowly and has a heavy emphasis on atmosphere, I don't think there is any focus on mundane situations and I don't know how people would consider it healing in any shape or form. On the contrary, I believe it is very serious and dark. But, I can understand how it may be — in the remotest of terms — argued that Monster does in fact offer comfort to the viewer, that is, through the main character, Dr. Kenzo Tenma. Even if I disagree with Monster being an iyashikei, please let me play the devil's advocate to start a constructive conversation.

Throughout the series, Tenma acts as a source of healing for those around him. His good deeds and selfless actions provide a sense of hope and inspiration to the people he encounters. For example, Tenma saves the life of a young boy named Dieter, who was being held hostage by a criminal. By doing so, he not only saves the boy's life, but he also gives him the strength to overcome his traumatic experiences. Similarly, Tenma once helps a Turkish neighbourhood get through a fire, a very troubled situation. We see his countless acts of kindness like this throughout the series.

So, as the series reminds us that kindness that can exist in this cruel world even in the midst of tragedy, I see how some people may view Monster as an iyashikei.The healing power of kindness and compassion shown through Tenma can definitely offer a sense of comfort and solace to viewers. But I'm still not convinced. Since the elements in the show aren't ones I think support Iyashikei, I actually really think this is a pretty poor case.

I've written a lengthy post, but it was because I simply can't see any justifications for calling it an iyashikei. Am I missing something? Also, Monster is one of my favorite shows, so this has nothing to do with me "hating it." I simply wrote this post so I wrote this post just to refine my thoughts on one of my faves.

In a nutshell, you think that it can be in particular moments but not in the series as a whole.
Feb 18, 2023 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
bounlezz_boii said:
alotlikecars

In a nutshell, you think that it can be in particular moments but not in the series as a whole.

No, I'm simply trying to entertain the arguments in favor of it being an iyashikei but I don't agree with it at all.
Feb 18, 2023 11:23 AM
Jan 2023
TLDR;
isn't iyashikei everything wrong with SOL amplified? and you calling monster that?

ok sike, i did read a little bit of what you wrote and . . . why are we debating definitions?
it isn't gonna change cuz you disagree/misunderstand it. the "very slow" pacing of an iyashikei isn't there to create tension like in monster, it's there so that . (awkward pause) . well basically because they didn't 'have/want to show you' anything more.

to me, iyashikei are the sort of shows that you put on, just to have something on, after a hard day. which as i said before, is everything wrong with SOL but worse. and you kinda need to pay all of your attention to monster if you wanna enjoy it. so . . . no, i guess.
Feb 18, 2023 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
sainic82 said:
TLDR;
isn't iyashikei everything wrong with SOL amplified? and you calling monster that?

ok sike, i did read a little bit of what you wrote and . . . why are we debating definitions?
it isn't gonna change cuz you disagree/misunderstand it. the "very slow" pacing of an iyashikei isn't there to create tension like in monster, it's there so that . (awkward pause) . well basically because they didn't 'have/want to show you' anything more.

to me, iyashikei are the sort of shows that you put on, just to have something on, after a hard day. which as i said before, is everything wrong with SOL but worse. and you kinda need to pay all of your attention to monster if you wanna enjoy it. so . . . no, i guess.
I'm not arguing it's an iyashikei. I'm just trying to understand the other side of the debate here. Why would people consider it an iyashikei?
Feb 18, 2023 1:25 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Well if 3-gatsu can be considered an iyashikei then why not Monster aswell?
Feb 18, 2023 2:00 PM
Sep 2007
I don't think so. AFAIK iyashikei is supposed to be relaxing, "comfy" series that are supposed to lift your mood. Story about murderous, manipulative psychopath chased by surgeon framed for murder is anything but that, at least in my opinion. 
Feb 18, 2023 11:23 PM

Nov 2022
No its not.
Not reading allat tho

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 12, 2008

109 by BerserkGUTS »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 44 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trie - Mar 10, 2008

435 by Spyral_Grayson »»
May 20, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by FinLuke »»
May 20, 10:52 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 7, 2008

109 by tectacles »»
May 19, 2:55 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 6, 2008

130 by tectacles »»
May 12, 6:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.