Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 9, 2023 10:53 PM

Mar 2022
Perhaps this went over my head, but... I'd like to know where in the series & which characters seem to have a level of neurodivergence?

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘
Feb 9, 2023 11:04 PM
Jun 2022
What does that mean..?
Feb 9, 2023 11:11 PM

Jan 2023
Shinji has anxiety and major depression but idk if that’s what you mean. He’s not autistic if thats what ur asking
i read sappy yuri & sol comedy; im the lowest of the low
Feb 9, 2023 11:16 PM

Mar 2022
dogcel said:
Shinji has anxiety and major depression but idk if that’s what you mean. He’s not autistic if thats what ur asking

ya anxiety & depression are forms of neurodivergence
i rewatched it pretty recently & still dont remember..

do you remember where/what ep it specifically shows Shinji with depression?

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘
Feb 9, 2023 11:23 PM

Jan 2023
zenviolet said:
dogcel said:

If you watch the beginning of episode 4, it opens with Misato giving a little backstory on Shinjis depression but for the most part, it’s shown throughout the whole series.

Almost every time he makes major decision, he regrets it in some way and i think he doesn’t know how to cope with problems he can’t fix.
i read sappy yuri & sol comedy; im the lowest of the low
Feb 9, 2023 11:33 PM

Mar 2022
dogcel said:
zenviolet said:

If you watch the beginning of episode 4, it opens with Misato giving a little backstory on Shinjis depression but for the most part, it’s shown throughout the whole series.

Almost every time he makes major decision, he regrets it in some way and i think he doesn’t know how to cope with problems he can’t fix.

ohhh ok thnks a bunch! for some reason that theme just didnt click with me till pretty much the end
–- cuz in the end it sorta felt like they imposed a certain ideological & psychological breakthrough on the characters and the audience, & i was lik whered this come from?.. but maybe thats just me, perhaps I should watch the movie(s) to be sure idk

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘
Feb 9, 2023 11:35 PM
Feb 2022
i dont Rember what one is it to ne frank
Feb 10, 2023 12:36 AM
Jun 2022
zenviolet said:
dogcel said:

ohhh ok thnks a bunch! for some reason that theme just didnt click with me till pretty much the end
–- cuz in the end it sorta felt like they imposed a certain ideological & psychological breakthrough on the characters and the audience, & i was lik whered this come from?.. but maybe thats just me, perhaps I should watch the movie(s) to be sure idk

I mean, during the entire series Shinji was dealing with his depression and anxieties, and it was building up to a complete breakdown. And the mental states of the other characters, I thought anyhow, were also shown to be fracturing throughout as the toll of what's happening around them and to them starts to take effect. It's difficult I feel to pick out single episodes because it all kind of grows over the series.
Feb 10, 2023 12:55 AM
Oct 2022
Shinji def got the tism
Feb 10, 2023 1:07 AM

Apr 2022
ClairvoyantSoul said:
Shinji def got the tism

reminded me the 'aww tysm' meme
Feb 10, 2023 4:27 AM

Aug 2020
I think they all are man
Feb 10, 2023 6:02 AM
Apr 2021
~spoiler~

i understood one of the major themes of the show was for (at least) shinji, asuka, misato, and gendo to be very depressed and we could see how it affected each of them differently/the ways they tried to cope with it. we can also see how each of their coping mechanisms negatively affect the people around them, to a differing degree of course. also, a lot of the times depression and anxiety go hand in hand, this certainly being one of them.

we also see a representation of a person in rei who, while not being a person, demonstrates the existence of an autistic character since she shows and perceives very few emotions throughout the story. not sure if this is intentional for that reason or to just show that she isnt really a unique person.
Feb 11, 2023 12:06 AM
Mar 2022
zenviolet said:
dogcel said:

anxiety and depression are not forms of neurodivergence. Neurodivergence = adhd and autism spectrum etc
Feb 11, 2023 2:49 PM

Mar 2022
L1lium said:
zenviolet said:

anxiety and depression are not forms of neurodivergence. Neurodivergence = adhd and autism spectrum etc
depends who you ask

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘
Feb 11, 2023 2:50 PM

Mar 2022
anthonysz said:
~spoiler~

i understood one of the major themes of the show was for (at least) shinji, asuka, misato, and gendo to be very depressed and we could see how it affected each of them differently/the ways they tried to cope with it. we can also see how each of their coping mechanisms negatively affect the people around them, to a differing degree of course. also, a lot of the times depression and anxiety go hand in hand, this certainly being one of them.

we also see a representation of a person in rei who, while not being a person, demonstrates the existence of an autistic character since she shows and perceives very few emotions throughout the story. not sure if this is intentional for that reason or to just show that she isnt really a unique person.
thanks! THIS is an excellent explanation too

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘
Feb 11, 2023 3:06 PM
Apr 2021
zenviolet said:
anthonysz said:
~spoiler~

thanks! THIS is an excellent explanation too

of course! on my first watch, i was a bit confused, especially by the ending. once i watch the movie "End of Evangelion", i realized that there was a lot i had missed. to me, the story is very carefully and perfectly put together, showing a cast of characters that understand the world is ending, while also feeling the weight of that same world on their shoulders.

if you were to rewatch the series, i would recommend watching episodes 1-24, and then the movie "End of Evangelion". certain things such as a characters body language and or reaction to things can be very telling to how the author intended for the story to be received. additionally, trying to understand "why did they react this way" beyond "thats just the way this character is" (ie misatos drinking and having sex) can open up a few more doors.

i love this series so much and there is much more i could say, but id definitely suggest giving it another go!
Feb 14, 2023 12:07 AM
Apr 2022
all autistic honestly
Feb 14, 2023 1:13 AM
Mar 2017
Depression and anxiety are not within what is considered neurodiversity. Please, try to use accurate language when talking about mental health.
Feb 16, 2023 12:59 PM

Mar 2022
Lunanaranja said:
Depression and anxiety are not within what is considered neurodiversity. Please, try to use accurate language when talking about mental health.

neurodiversity (noun) :: the range of differences in individual brain function and behavioral traits, regarded as part of normal variation in the human population (used especially in the context of autistic spectrum disorders)

.. so again depends who you ask. the origin of the word neurodivergent started in the 90s to describe ppl on the autistic spectrum, however it has come a ways from then to mean anything not considered apart of the norm. At least as I am using it here, for example: his book about living with bipolar disorder is having some influence on the way people in his home country view neurodiversity.

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘
Feb 22, 2023 9:12 AM
Feb 2020
I'd say all the cast seems pretty neurotypical to me; however, if I truly wanted to entertain this idea, I'd make a cautious bet for Kensuke.
Depression and Anxiety are issues that can affect almost anyone, regardless of whether they're neurodivergent or not, so I would not place them on the same category.
In terms of surface-level perceived 'quirky behaviour, Kensuke would come the closest to fitting this vague criteria.
Feb 22, 2023 3:35 PM

Feb 2015
zenviolet said:
Lunanaranja said:

neurodiversity (noun) :: the range of differences in individual brain function and behavioral traits, regarded as part of normal variation in the human population (used especially in the context of autistic spectrum disorders)

.. so again depends who you ask. the origin of the word neurodivergent started in the 90s to describe ppl on the autistic spectrum, however it has come a ways from then to mean anything not considered apart of the norm. At least as I am using it here, for example:  his book about living with bipolar disorder is having some influence on the way people in his home country view neurodiversity.
By asking different people, you mean your friends??
Neurodivergence isn't something you can get better from, Autism, Aspergers, Down syndrome, ADHD and ADD are in that category, anxiety and depression are definitely not.

Apr 8, 2023 1:29 AM
Mar 2022
zenviolet said:
L1lium said:

depends who you ask

yup. if you ask snowflakes or people who don't know about what neurodivergence is, they could say it is. anxiety and depression are more common in neurodivergent people but they are not neurodivergent disorders. they are mental illnesses and you can heal from them. you can't heal from neurodivergence like adhd and autism spectum disorder.
I am a neurodivergent person diagnosed by a doctor and I have talked about this with my doctor, therapist, psychologist and looked for information from the internet based on real research and experiments so I think I know what I'm talking about :D I'm also psychology student sooo xD
Apr 28, 2023 6:04 AM
Jul 2018
zenviolet said:
Perhaps this went over my head, but... I'd like to know where in the series & which characters seem to have a level of neurodivergence?

I mean, there are reasons why some people compared me to Asuka as a teen and in my early 20s and I wondered why before I have seen it... then I knew lol.
Aug 19, 2023 6:29 PM
May 2022
I am neurodivergent. I have Autism. But I was bullied for it to near suicide as well, which makes Evangelion all the more triggering to me. 

I just want to come off by saying I am deathly afraid of Evangelion.
Hard as it is to believe, I have animephobia. 
I am currently looking for someone to help me overcome my fear of Evangelion, my fear of anime. 
If you want to know why, please read the following. It is a detailed essay detailing my traumatic experience from the Evangelion fandom during Lockdown. 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12E5xdOOtUa4Nlh1OizVapCHn6St9olV0PUi1LV6Dm_U/edit?usp=sharing
Mar 11, 2:23 PM

Jul 2014
Shinji definitely has signs of autism, and it's not a stretch to assume Anno's on the spectrum himself. And, speaking as someone who knows a number of people with BPD, Asuka's probably the best representation of someone with that disorder I can think of.
Take care of yourself

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by BitBitt »»
May 16, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

343 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

195 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

188 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
May 8, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.