Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Do you think The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a slice of life anime? Why or why not?

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you think it's a slice of life anime?
Feb 7, 2023 5:11 PM

Dec 2019
So, I'm back asking questions about slice of life. Generally, slice of life generally take place in the normal world, but Haruhi takes place in a world with aliens, time travelers, and ESPers. However, MAL says it's a slice of life anime, and I personally agree. However, I was still curious if anyone doesn't think it is a slice of life anime. Haruhi isn't completely episodic, and its movie doesn't have the slice of life tag.
fluffycow17Feb 7, 2023 7:43 PM
Feb 7, 2023 5:16 PM

Jan 2020
I think there's nothing more normal and grounded into reality than a teen being so bored and unsatisfied with the normal "world" to the point of rejecting reality itself.
That's, basically, what Haruhi is.
Feb 7, 2023 5:24 PM
Nov 2020
Yeah its still a slice of life, its just a more fantastical take on it. Sure there are plot moments here and there but most of time its just them going through haruhi's whims and having fun.
Feb 7, 2023 6:19 PM

May 2021
fluffycow17 said:
So, I'm back asking questions about slice of life. Generally, slice of life generally take place in the normal world, but Haruhi takes place in a world with aliens, time travelers, and ESPers. However, MAL says it's a slice of life anime, and I personally agree. However, I was still curious if anyone doesn't think it is a slice of life anime. Haruhi isn't completely episodic, and its movie doesn't have the slice of life tag.

your perception of "slice of life" is wrong. SOL doesn't has to be in a particular place to be a SOL. It's basically the daily lives of characters, which Haruhi suzumiya depicts properly
Feb 7, 2023 6:43 PM

Dec 2021
fluffycow17 said:
Generally, slice of life generally take place in the normal world

This is where you're wrong. SoL need not have to explicitly say "this is life" or "this is reality". SoL is mostly how life generally is and how people live their life. And the background setting can be anything. For example, Girls' Last Tour or Kino's Journey are a SoL because it talks about life while none of the events has any direct similarity with real world.
Feb 7, 2023 7:05 PM
Jul 2018
I guess JoJo's Bizarre adventure is SoL too, with that definition.
Feb 7, 2023 7:18 PM

Jan 2013
Not really, I think school life completely overrules any slice of life classification here. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 7, 2023 7:41 PM

Dec 2019
sonu711 said:
fluffycow17 said:

your perception of "slice of life" is wrong. SOL doesn't has to be in a particular place to be a SOL. It's basically the daily lives of characters, which Haruhi suzumiya depicts properly
Chronon said:
fluffycow17 said:
Generally, slice of life generally take place in the normal world

This is where you're wrong. SoL need not have to explicitly say "this is life" or "this is reality". SoL is mostly how life generally is and how people live their life. And the background setting can be anything. For example, Girls' Last Tour or Kino's Journey are a SoL because it talks about life while none of the events has any direct similarity with real world.

Just to be clear, I don't believe that SoL has to be a certain setting. I was trying to think of reasons why they don't think Haruhi is a SoL anime. As I said, I believe Haruhi is a SoL anime. The show focuses enough on minor adventures to qualify for it in my book.
Feb 7, 2023 7:57 PM
Dec 2020
its definitely slice of life
Feb 7, 2023 8:10 PM

Feb 2016
Absolutely not, because I have never encountered a person with a life like Kyon's, Haruhi's, Nagato's, Asahina's, or Koizumi's.
Nagato Yuki-chan is slice of life–albeit bad–because the characters do things that real people do in their lives. Yet this anime is NOT tagged as such.
その目だれの目?
Feb 7, 2023 10:38 PM

Dec 2021
fluffycow17 said:
sonu711 said:

Chronon said:

Just to be clear, I don't believe that SoL has to be a certain setting. I was trying to think of reasons why they don't think Haruhi is a SoL anime. As I said, I believe Haruhi is a SoL anime. The show focuses enough on minor adventures to qualify for it in my book.

Oh! sorry, I kinda overlooked your point.

Almost every people I've met, thinks SoL needs to be something that explicitly shows real world scenarios. But this is what I think an SoL is...

And as for why people think Haruhi is not an SoL, it is obvious. They argue, the supernatural elements are something that can't be seen irl. People still can't differentiate between a Genre and a Theme.
Feb 8, 2023 2:43 AM

Sep 2020
It's sci-fi / mystery

Come on, the story is mainly about time travel. Anything that's not 100% fighting shounen is considered slice of life to you people?
Nino is the objectively superior one, don't @ me
Feb 8, 2023 2:57 AM
Jun 2019
This time I kinda see it but not ecerything set in a high school is a slice of life. Also why do you wanna know if people think something's a slice of life?
Feb 8, 2023 5:39 AM
Jul 2021
god, I miss this era.
Feb 8, 2023 5:46 AM

Aug 2018
Aria takes place on a terraformed Mars and it's one of the quintessential SOL. So having sci-fi/fantasy elements does not disqualify Haruhi from being sol.

It's been a long time since I last saw it but IIRC the TV show is episodic focusing on relatively mundane situations therefore it is SOL. The movie is another matter entirely. It is very plot-focused.
Feb 8, 2023 6:12 AM
Nov 2021
this show is like a little bit of everything everywhere all at once
Feb 8, 2023 9:34 AM

Dec 2019
smashsalmon said:
This time I kinda see it but not ecerything set in a high school is a slice of life. Also why do you wanna know if people think something's a slice of life?

The reason I keep asking about slice of life is because slice of life isn't well defined, and most people disagree with MAL's definition. I believe we all have some idea of what slice of life is, so by making these kinds of threads, I can see what everyone's opinions are. My goal is to understand what people think is slice of life and what they think is not.
Feb 8, 2023 11:51 AM
Jan 2019
MissingNo178 said:
It's sci-fi / mystery

Come on, the story is mainly about time travel. Anything that's not 100% fighting shounen is considered slice of life to you people?

Have you even watched this series..
Feb 10, 2023 7:26 AM
May 2021
it incorporated Sci fi elements into what is otherwise a slice of life
Feb 25, 2023 5:36 PM

Feb 2015
As per TV Tropes (emphasis mine):
The story is notable for having no definite genre; it convincingly uses comedy, science fiction, fantasy, mystery, romance and Slice of Life in one of the most typical anime settings—an ordinary high school—to tell a story about growing up and changing into a better person.

They didn't give it the Genre Busting tag for nothing. Just because it does a bunch of unconventional things for the SOL genre doesn't mean it's not a part of it.
May 29, 2023 3:53 PM

Dec 2007
basically suzumia haruhi contains so many genres. yes, slice of life is one of those. also with mystery and sci-fi.
slice of life doesn't suppose to be "genre" that defines the entire anime, but can be mixed with others.
those who argue otherwise, thinks the opposite of this opinion.
Jul 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Jul 2021
a new genre needs to be created for this anime called "fucking ridiculous", that's the genre of this.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.