Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 1, 2023 9:42 AM

Apr 2021
"Still, the anime's low Blu-ray sales must be taken in full context. These sale figures don't count internal sales from MAPPA's online store, and the studio is offering lots of goodies firsthand. There is also the fact that Chainsaw Man isn't relying on Japan's core otaku audience. With a global fanbase on hand, Chainsaw Man's mettle comes in licensing with steamers. International Blu-ray sales may do fine, but Chainsaw Man knew from day one it would need to negotiate solid streaming deals to profit off its international fanbase. And while boosted video sales would help the anime's reputation in Japan, well – a blowout sale isn't necessary for Chainsaw Man at this point."

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/chainsaw-man-anime-blu-ray-sales-popularity/

I do not possess the intellect required to come up with this whole analysis all by myself so obviously I took Google's help 
And as far as I can understand Chainsaw man wasn't even relying on its Japanese audience in the first place. In fact they kind of suspected the feedback of the Japanese audience won't be good and that explains all the US anime convention stages and presentations and pre-screening of the first episode in France of all places. They were really hyping up the anime outside of Japan. (To any boomers who still think anime gets poor reception outside of Japan, though that is the case relatively, please try to understand that Chainsaw Man is streaming on both Amazon Prime and Netflix, that itself would be generating a lot of revenue for MAPPA). Moreover there's the dozen holywood references inside the OP which I seriously don't think was aimed at the Japanese audience.
In short we should definitely be seeing a good looking second season 

Feb 1, 2023 9:59 AM

Jan 2009
the problem is the too damn high expectations that it will dethrone demon slayer or at least jjk but that will not happen without the help of japan

i expect lower quality for the sequel
Feb 1, 2023 10:05 AM

Sep 2011
I maybe wrong on this, but when Japanese companies give their license to investors overseas, don’t the international market pay them a one time fee for the license, thus whatever popularity it has over here still doesn’t contribute to MAPPA seeing profits?
For example, maybe they give Crunchyroll the license for 50k dollars or something. Then whatever streaming numbers it brings it mostly goes to Crunchyroll to pay its staff and maintain its platform and share? And this extends to whoever else they give the international license too?

If my theory is correct, it doesn’t matter how good it does over here in the West. Japans primary audience and revenue is still from Japan: and oh boy…I haven’t seen a series flop this hard in a LONG time.

Also, before anyone comes in here and says “BUT VINLAND SAGA SOLD 200 COPIES!” you need to understand Vinland Saga is an exception, not a rule, and the only reason Vinland Saga season 2 exists is because it’s basically a passion project from the staff. That’s why the majority of the Season 1 staff was brought back on despite it being a different studio. They weren’t interested in profits. They were interested in just adapting the IP. This is a very rare occurrence
Feb 1, 2023 10:21 AM

Apr 2021
Yuyunarutoballz said:
I maybe wrong on this, but when Japanese companies give their license to investors overseas, don’t the international market pay them a one time fee for the license, thus whatever popularity it has over here still doesn’t contribute to MAPPA seeing profits?
For example, maybe they give Crunchyroll the license for 50k dollars or something. Then whatever streaming numbers it brings it mostly goes to Crunchyroll to pay its staff and maintain its platform and share? And this extends to whoever else they give the international license too?

If my theory is correct, it doesn’t matter how good it does over here in the West. Japans primary audience and revenue is still from Japan: and oh boy…I haven’t seen a series flop this hard in a LONG time.

Also, before anyone comes in here and says “BUT VINLAND SAGA SOLD 200 COPIES!” you need to understand Vinland Saga is an exception, not a rule, and the only reason Vinland Saga season 2 exists is because it’s basically a passion project from the staff. That’s why the majority of the Season 1 staff was brought back on despite it being a different studio. They weren’t interested in profits. They were interested in just adapting the IP. This is a very rare occurrence

That is exactly why this means nothing without official MAPPA numbers, Blu-ray just doesn't have the weight it used to, so I'd not run into conclusions.
Season 2 is definitely happening anyway so I don't really care
Feb 1, 2023 10:34 AM

Jan 2013
Is the CSM manga not even that popular in Japan compared to overseas? They went into the anime with the intention of appealing to the west over JP?
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 1, 2023 10:43 AM
Jan 2023
Yeah I’m not worried about this getting a second season it was one of the top rated/viewed debuts on Crunchyroll this last year.
Feb 1, 2023 10:52 AM

Dec 2019
LostSpectre said:
Is the CSM manga not even that popular in Japan compared to overseas? They went into the anime with the intention of appealing to the west over JP?

CSM manga was a massive hit in Japan, even more so than overseas. For a while it was beating one piece in daily readers. MAPPA had a golden goose in chainsaw man and they wasted it
Feb 1, 2023 10:56 AM

Jan 2013
fishguzheng said:
LostSpectre said:

CSM manga was a massive hit in Japan, even more so than overseas. For a while it was beating one piece in daily readers. MAPPA had a golden goose in chainsaw man and they wasted it
Well, I guess they got what they wanted, I'm not sure what deals they could have made in order to profit more from western popularity, though. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 1, 2023 10:58 AM
Apr 2022
deg said:
the problem is the too damn high expectations that it will dethrone demon slayer or at least jjk but that will not happen without the help of japan

correct (character limit)
SOINDS OF EVERYTHING
Feb 1, 2023 11:00 AM

Mar 2020
CreepHazard said:
Yuyunarutoballz said:

That is exactly why this means nothing without official MAPPA numbers, Blu-ray just doesn't have the weight it used to, so I'd not run into conclusions.
Season 2 is definitely happening anyway so I don't really care

Knowing the price of the Blue-rays, I wouldn't discard it as "weightless". Last time I went into a store, Steins Gates was around 20-30€ without OVA nor collector's edition. If people buy more Blue-rays for other series, WAY more than CSM, then that means there's a serious issue in there. If, let's say, the sales in general were more or less equal (with one or two series peaking), then I'd agree, but this isn't the case. This is all, of course, a theory, since I'm not really aware of the actual sales.

Only you can save yourself.
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Feb 1, 2023 11:08 AM

Jan 2009
Yuyunarutoballz said:

here learn royalties and minimum guarantee
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-08-02/how-much-does-it-cost-to-license-anime-series/.175579
Feb 1, 2023 12:48 PM

Feb 2021
Yuyunarutoballz said:

Crunchyroll works with royalty based licenses, so the more watched the show is, the more money it makes.
Feb 1, 2023 1:09 PM

Jul 2016
Yuyunarutoballz said:

For example, maybe they give Crunchyroll the license for 50k dollars or something.

Japans primary audience and revenue is still from Japan: and oh boy…I haven’t seen a series flop this hard in a LONG time.

Vinland Saga season 2 exists is because it’s basically a passion project from the staff. That’s why the majority of the Season 1 staff was brought back on despite it being a different studio. They weren’t interested in profits. They were interested in just adapting the IP. This is a very rare occurrence

You need to read how licensing in crunchyroll work. Simulcast A++ anime like csm can easily get 400-500k per episode royalties. Csm also i think the highest rated anime in crunchyroll last year.

Japan revenue - csm is the most watch anime last season in japan after sxf. Top 10 every 12 weeks in Netflix Japan.

Csm staff also passion about csm project.
Feb 1, 2023 1:15 PM
Mar 2021
I think it doesnt sell well cuz its kinda expensive (i rather bought the manga)
Feb 1, 2023 2:52 PM

Mar 2021
From what I have read, mappa was banking on this to be like a demon slayer hit. A show with this amount of marketing will need massive amounts just to break even.

Let's look at the revenue.
1. Streaming.
Chainsaw man is broadcasted upon various venues like netflix jp, prime jp, disney+ jp. Only crunchyroll is actually paying massive for exclusive rights. Even then, they are just for streaming and not on the production committee. Netflix has a set amount of subscriber money and will greenlit future seasons solely on viewership to keep subscriber counts. Crunchyroll only has like 10 million paid subs. Also they need to divide money between different shows. Many well viewed shows got no further seasons. Even with views, it may not be enough to make a roiling. Especially since anime piracy is still high
2. Goods
The figures will take till 2024 to come out for a ton. Without a further season to keep interest and recession coming, cancelation rates will be high. This can discourage manufacturers from making more. Also as a new show, your audience is likely young and short on money. Vs an older audience like fate will generally keep their pre orders
3. Blu rays
Majority of revenue will come from this.

If you have multiple people on a production committee, if one party makes a roi like a gacha developer, they can pool funds. If you are the sole member, you are reliant on it selling well for goods and blu rays. You can win big since you have all hands on it. But lose big since you have all stakes on it.

So this can be the biggest anime bomb of all time.
Feb 1, 2023 4:32 PM

Sep 2008
From what I have read, mappa was banking on this to be like a demon slayer hit. A show with this amount of marketing will need massive amounts just to break even.

Demon Slayer wasn't as big a hit in bd as you think. The average per volume was 28k. Obviously 1.7k is terrible compared to that but 28k does not represent the absolute monster hit Demons Slayer was. 

The real profit was in other areas, where CSM may very well be doing well (Definitely not on the level of DS, that thing was, again, a monster hit).

For comparison, AoT sold an average of 50k units and it's a big hit but very very dwarfed by Demon Slayer. Spy X Family has an average of 9k units and I don't think anyone here is willing to call it a modest success.
EmmanuelVRFeb 1, 2023 4:44 PM
Feb 1, 2023 5:21 PM
Aug 2022
EmmanuelVR said:

Demon Slayer wasn't as big a hit in bd as you think. The average per volume was 28k. Obviously 1.7k is terrible compared to that but 28k does not represent the absolute monster hit Demons Slayer was. 

The real profit was in other areas, where CSM may very well be doing well (Definitely not on the level of DS, that thing was, again, a monster hit).

For comparison, AoT sold an average of 50k units and it's a big hit but very very dwarfed by Demon Slayer. Spy X Family has an average of 9k units and I don't think anyone here is willing to call it a modest success.
why are you ignoring mugen train bd sales? That shit was a monster with over million copies sold
Sagenaker11Feb 1, 2023 5:36 PM
Feb 1, 2023 5:38 PM

Mar 2021
Chainsaw man basically is like black adam. Passion project that the studio/producers puts own resources on the line hoping for a mega hit to jump start something only to lose MASSIVE amounts of money.
Feb 1, 2023 6:42 PM
Nov 2022
I streamed it on Hulu and I’m gonna buy the blue ray since it was so awesome and I want to see a season 2 with amazing art and a ton of different endings again.
Feb 1, 2023 6:48 PM
Jun 2022
the expectation were too high and when just 12 episode was announced I know it wasn't going to meet up, 12 episode were just too small
Feb 1, 2023 6:57 PM
Jun 2022
deg said:

the expectation were too high how can 12 episodes justify the hype of 11 volumes of manga people seriously need to calm down only 38 of 97 chapters were adapted covering only 4 of 11 and believe me when I say the first 12 episode of jjk and demon slayer were not this good and that is a fact 👌🏽👌🏽
Feb 1, 2023 7:36 PM
Nov 2010
Anybody who thinks BD sales don't matter is delusional. The fact that Mappa financed this out of their own pocket makes it even worse for them.
Feb 1, 2023 7:39 PM

Sep 2008
Badguy_oncel said:
EmmanuelVR said:

why are you ignoring mugen train bd sales? That shit was a monster with over million copies sold
Because movie work differently. S2 went back down to 20k. It's just how the industry works. The great Ghibli movies are regularly selling as much or even more BD units than Demon Slayer (I believe Mononoke hime is around 1.5m and Spirited Away 4m), It's not rare for 100k-600k numbers for popular movies and more for bigger hits. And I'm by no means downplaying the success of the Demon Slayer movie (it was peak DS hype), it's just not relevant to TV series BD numbers. 

EmmanuelVRFeb 1, 2023 7:48 PM
Feb 1, 2023 8:16 PM
Aug 2022
EmmanuelVR said:
Badguy_oncel said:
Because movie work differently. S2 went back down to 20k. It's just how the industry works. The great Ghibli movies are regularly selling even more BD units than Demon Slayer, It's not rare for 100k-600k numbers for popular movies and more for bigger hits. And I'm by no means downplaying the success of the Demon Slayer movie (it was peak DS hype), it's just not relevant to TV series BD numbers. 

but its essential for franchise and especially mappa as they are the sole producers.
Ds is a monster in literally everything in both japan and outside while aot dropped off in japan after s1( until maybe final season). This proves majority of revenue comes from Japan and being banned in China certainly didnt help for aot

Foreign streams will always makes less bucks than japan. Crunchyroll isn't going to give you millions and not to mention piracy. Mappa wanted to make csm another ds/jjk but its still struggling to go past sequel shows like aot in bd sales even with lower price than aot. Now it might pick up when its released outside japan but still the numbers are not good
Feb 1, 2023 8:17 PM

Dec 2022
oic
thanks for the info :D

Feb 1, 2023 8:37 PM
Jul 2018
Now dis is straight copium if they really never wanted anything from dis blu ray, why not sell those as box format rather than single n aside dat there's event ticket they giving with blu ray cherry in the top lmao.They definitely expected something from dis blu ray so stop ur copium.
Feb 1, 2023 10:39 PM

Jan 2009
wait for yearly franchises total profit report like this https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJOricon/status/1618060837113196544
Feb 1, 2023 10:47 PM

Jan 2020
deg said:

Imo, S2 will be lower quality just because of the content. Reze arc was one I think I liked least
Feb 1, 2023 11:29 PM
Aug 2022
deg said:
wait for yearly franchises total profit report like this https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJOricon/status/1618060837113196544
its not total profit and it's only from japan. In reality pokemon should be no 1
Feb 1, 2023 11:53 PM
Dec 2016
this calls for a movie sequel my dudes
Feb 2, 2023 12:03 AM

Jan 2009
Badguy_oncel said:
deg said:
its not total profit and it's only from japan. In reality pokemon should be no 1

its still better data than japan disc sales
Feb 2, 2023 2:44 AM
Jan 2022
I still can't believe it only sold 1735 copies on its first week of release but I'm sure that MAPPA will retain the quality and animations if a second season gets approved. MAPPA never disappoints. And surely there were backlog sales that were not reported. 
Feb 2, 2023 3:37 AM

Dec 2019
icefirestone23 said:
Chainsaw man basically is like black adam. Passion project that the studio/producers puts own resources on the line hoping for a mega hit to jump start something only to lose MASSIVE amounts of money.
Except you have literally 0 evidence that CSM lost them any amount of money (massive or otherwise)
Feb 2, 2023 5:10 AM

Jan 2013
JesseBoi said:
icefirestone23 said:
Except you have literally 0 evidence that CSM lost them any amount of money (massive or otherwise)
That seems to be this entire thread in a nutshell. lol
Feb 2, 2023 8:37 AM

Apr 2021
LuRo said:
this calls for a movie sequel my dudes

I think this is very possible. idk the content to be adapted but a movie would help them rake a lot more money
Feb 2, 2023 2:42 PM

Mar 2021
JesseBoi said:
icefirestone23 said:

I recommend you read the article.
https://comicbook.com/anime/news/chainsaw-man-anime-studio-mappa-investment/
With expensive production particularly on the polished cgi and the marketing, they need massive amounts of money just to break even. The low vol 1 disc sales means that portion is effectively gone. So basically just goods but often for new ips, people mass order then mass cancel without another season to hype it up. This leads figure companies to back out. This is why figure companies favor long running series like fate.
Feb 4, 2023 12:51 AM
Oct 2022
The Blu-Ray being sold on Mappa’s site seems to be the new copium around here. JJK was also sold on Mappa, Amazon and other sites with different goodies and we all know what numbers it was pulling without the sales from Mappa’s site being made public.
Feb 4, 2023 3:35 AM
Sep 2012
Helenafin said:
The Blu-Ray being sold on Mappa’s site seems to be the new copium around here. JJK was also sold on Mappa, Amazon and other sites with different goodies and we all know what numbers it was pulling without the sales from Mappa’s site being made public.

JJK not sold at Mappa at all. JJK BD sold at Toho Store since Toho own JJK more. JJK BD profit mostly goes to Toho not Mappa.
Feb 4, 2023 7:07 PM
Oct 2022
Eurycoma said:
Helenafin said:

JJK not sold at Mappa at all. JJK BD sold at Toho Store since Toho own JJK more. JJK BD profit mostly goes to Toho not Mappa.

It was sold at Mappa my guy and so was the movie BD. Look it up.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 1, 2022

783 by xriceball26 »»
May 7, 4:21 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 27, 2022

983 by EinTheVariance »»
May 6, 5:54 PM

» Why wasn't it 24 episodes? ( 1 2 )

Leon888 - Apr 9

55 by Naveen6662246 »»
May 5, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 20, 2022

388 by PokefanPT »»
May 4, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 13, 2022

312 by PokefanPT »»
May 4, 10:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.