Forum Settings
Forums
The Ghost in the Shell
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 21, 2023 10:07 AM
Jun 2021
Please mention the canon story watch order of this series.I am making this because I am seeing a lot of entries of this series on MAL.
Though I am excited to know about this series and Universe but for now I just want to watch the main story of this series.
Jan 21, 2023 10:39 AM

Mar 2019
Essentially as far as I know, the Ghost in the shell anime consist of different continuities, and it is not necessary to watch say continuity 1 to understand continuity 2, here is the watch order from left to right (below under the colored texts or not if you don't see color in which case, I'm sorry!). The main story of this original movie and it's sequel goes as laid out below in continuity 1. 

I wouldn't really say that any of these continuities is the main story and I'm not really sure if any of the entries are adaptations of the manga, if that's what you mean by canon. Yet you can just watch Ghost in the Shell (this movie) and it's sequel Innocence, and then decide whether you want to watch the television series (Stand Alone Complex). If you are also interested enough you can watch the rest of the stuff mentioned here (Arise).

Watch order begins here. Watch order begins here. Watch order begins here. Watch order begins here. Watch order begins here. Watch order begins here.

Continuity 1: Ghost in the Shell (this movie), Innocence.

Continuity 2: Ghost in the shell: Stand Alone Complex,  Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society, Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045,  Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Season 2. It isn't really necessary to watch SAC_2045 and it's sequel because it came out years after the original series, but it is technically a sequel to the previous entries

Continuity 3:  Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border 1: Ghost Pain,  Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border 2: Ghost Whispers,  Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border 3: Ghost Tears, Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border 4: Ghost Stands Alone,  Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie.

I'm sorry if this was complicated.
KumiveneellaJan 21, 2023 10:57 AM
Jan 21, 2023 10:42 AM

Sep 2020
the movies and the SAC series are pretty separated and different with how they approach things. I'm pretty sure there is only one movie directly connected to SAC and it's after the 2nd season, beyond that there is only references. only thing I recommend is to watch the first movie to get an introduction to the characters and feel. then you can do whatever, continue with the movies or start SAC.

and you can probably ignore the more modern stuff because my understanding is that they aren't very good
Jan 21, 2023 10:50 AM
Jun 2021
There's three main timelines:
1. The first movie and Innocence (and the Innocence novel)
2. Stand Alone Complex->2nd Gig->Solid State Society->2045. (Plus the light novels)
3. Arise: On MAL there are 4 entries called "border" and one called "Alternative Architecture." The border OVAs were recut into the first 8 episodes of AA. Episodes 9 and 10 are new. After that is "The New Movie". There's also the spinoff manga Sleepless Eye.

The Scarlett Johansson movie is it's own timeline. The original manga + Human Algorithm is another.

If you want to try to put them in order by how old the Major is it's probably Arise->Movies/Manga->SAC, but they aren't actually connected.
Jan 21, 2023 4:58 PM
Feb 2020
There is no canon order its loosely tied.

Absolutely start with the 1995 movie. Then watch Stand Alone Complex 1 and 2, followed by Solid State. Then go watch Innocence and read the manga, and after that go watch something else.....and im a mega fan of the series. For clarification.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

naikou - Jan 29, 2009

168 by HansDevX »»
May 3, 12:05 PM

» How do you describe Motoko Kusanagi's dilemma?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 23

2 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:08 AM

» How bad are the Ghost in the Shell Blu Rays?

JiffyBone - Mar 12, 2018

8 by Seiidou »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:51 PM

» The Original Movie Was Better

Densel_ - Nov 13, 2022

10 by Densel_ »»
May 7, 2023 9:49 PM

» Is Ghost in the Shell series worth watching?

Tatsuya1337 - Sep 29, 2017

27 by Densel_ »»
Nov 13, 2022 5:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.