Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 12, 2023 6:33 PM

Apr 2022
Higurashi is one of my favourite anime, but is it a good adaptation?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=higurashi+onikakushi+playthrough
Onikakushi arc itself is 8 hour of gameplay while in the anime it's only 4-5 episode. (I didn't play the VN, obviously)
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Jan 12, 2023 11:18 PM
Oct 2021
anime<manga<vn
while the anime is indeed a good adaption It did skip some material like for example the has a lot of important details including the minor one's which really makes presenting the story outstanding i mean like for example they did show a lot of clues and such but it also has alot more slice of life aspects but yeah for only being able to adapt the whole material well in just 48 eps considering how long the original source material is I consider it quite impressive actually sure there might be some minor plot holes due to this but overall yeah I think they adapted it really well
Jan 13, 2023 12:55 AM
Nov 2022
A higurashi tread? Sign me up.
Jan 13, 2023 1:02 AM
Jan 2021
visual novels are always better than the anime. that's a fact. some may have good adaptations but source material is good. read umineko
Jan 13, 2023 3:42 AM

Feb 2014
No, it's not a good adaptation.
Jan 13, 2023 8:35 AM
Jul 2020
Kai is a good adaptation, the original is not
Jan 13, 2023 12:38 PM

Jan 2016
No it is not in my opinion.

I like the Anime but it's got a totally different feel to it.

The VN focuses a lot on slice of life, which the Anime also does, but not nearly enough for some scenes to hit as hard as they do in the VN.

The biggest strength of the VN in my opinion is the fantastic music by Dai, which honestly elevates works like Higurashi and Umineko to a new level.
Jan 13, 2023 3:55 PM
Jun 2021
two words: read umineko
Jan 13, 2023 4:00 PM

Jun 2015
It was a weak adaptation, with the exception of the atmosphere, which was perfectly replicated through art, sound design, and voice acting.
Jan 13, 2023 6:00 PM
Sep 2020
I liked the anime but I wouldn’t say its a good adaptation. The anime cuts so much stuff out that the scenes don’t hit nearly as hard as they do in the vn. The manga is a good adaptation but if you got the time, go for the vn.
Jan 14, 2023 12:14 AM
Feb 2017
how about going a different route and reading Umineko...
Jan 15, 2023 7:19 AM
Aug 2016
I love Higurashi and I think the VNs are better by orders of magnitude, but it would have been impossible to translate into an anime 1:1. The anime is a good adaptation, but the switch in mediums causes a lot of unavoidable changes. If you can, I would recommend the VNs, but if not, the anime is still great.
Jan 15, 2023 3:08 PM

Apr 2022
Reflesh said:
I know, just let me finish the anime first. Why are every umineko fan on earth harrassing me.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Jan 15, 2023 3:15 PM
Jun 2021
Usapz said:
Reflesh said:
I know, just let me finish the anime first. Why are every umineko fan on earth harrassing me.

its just that good 😭 but yeah i didnt mean to harass you
Jan 15, 2023 3:22 PM

Apr 2022
Reflesh said:
Usapz said:

its just that good 😭 but yeah i didnt mean to harass you

No no it’s okay. I knew the manga was better than the anime before I even started it (and that the anime didn’t adapt the answer arc), I just wanted to watch it to make a comparative between the two version.
Jan 18, 2023 9:34 PM

Feb 2016
I hate both the anime and the game.
その目だれの目?
Jan 22, 2023 8:30 PM

Dec 2019
The anime cuts a lot of 'filler' and naturally what little 'gameplay' elements exist. However neither of those are really necessary, I think, to get across the tone and plot. It does exceptionally well at carrying those through the mediums. Better than most. I guess it depends on what you consider a good adaptation.
The anime does not show you everything, but it does show you the important bits and leaves enough fluff for those to carry weight. You don't need dozens of scenes of club antics to get the everyday life across to the viewer, two or three are fine. What's missing may be some of the more introspective conversations between characters. They did the best they could with the time they had, though.

The same can not be said for Umineko. That has to be read.
Feb 4, 2023 9:42 PM

Jul 2021
Yes, it is a good adaptation and a great way for newcomers to get into the series.

Most of the cut content wasn't important. It was just kinda easing the audience into life in Hinamizawa, which was why Studio Deen was able to get away with adapting six whole arcs into the first season alone. Deen also tried to adapt Umineko, but could only fit four arcs into the first season, and the end product still ended up feeling rushed and hard to follow because Umineko has a lot of important information throughout.

It could be way better, I'm sure. I just don't think that there's any particular need to call Studio Deen's anime adaptation of Higurashi insubstantial. It's how I got into the series and I would certainly continue to recommend it for anyone who prefers watching anime over reading manga or otherwise.
Feb 10, 2023 7:59 PM

Jan 2016
Usapz said:
Higurashi is one of my favourite anime, but is it a good adaptation?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=higurashi+onikakushi+playthrough
Onikakushi arc itself is 8 hour of gameplay while in the anime it's only 4-5 episode. (I didn't play the VN, obviously)

Not even close adaptation to experience of visual novel. It's very hard to adapt this type of internal monologues in semi book-like visual novel format. In live action adaptation you can't just stop action to narrate internal state of psyche for characters. For me, it's one of the crucial element to Higurashi, if not the most important to experience full glory of this story. There's beautiful deep thoughts narration that was left behind in anime adaptation which makes it a little bit shallow in comparison to visual novel.
Apr 10, 2023 3:13 PM

Dec 2009
I remember wondering for years if I should watch or play this the game first, with countless of fans stating how better the visual novel is for its soundtrack, tone and pacing. It all makes sense now after finishing it last year and watching the anime now.

People are right.
Like most decent or somewhat subpar anime adaptions that don't do the source material full justice, the Higurashi anime adaptions are the same.

By rushing and cutting dialogue or moments that buildup or hint to one or later several events from the various tricks to confuse the audience just as the characters are until slowly and then finally find out the whole truth of everything ... it ruins the true high quality of the visual novel's writing to how it leads you in mystery and suspense from the sophisticated horror and each character's complexity and experience of insanity. 

The character design isn't great, but the change of pacing, tone and that soundtrack alone that everybody talks about... that eerie creepy one every moment something scary is being talked about or occuring... the anime doesn't have the same affect with its own different subpar direction. 
Not just the whole pacing and overall tone, because it cuts inner dialogue or dialogue itself from characters, it leaves you unaware of the full depth of a character, or completely cuts you out of various hints to the story and/or characters.
waalex11Apr 10, 2023 3:19 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mikhael04 - Jan 8, 2008

364 by Mirorin »»
May 25, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

211 by CutieAnshin »»
May 25, 12:40 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xo_cl2 - Jan 19, 2008

206 by Mirorin »»
May 24, 10:52 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 15, 2008

129 by Mirorin »»
May 22, 10:15 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

270 by Mirorin »»
May 22, 9:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.