Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 24, 2022 6:58 AM

Nov 2011
Welp, no one is perfect and this proves that all humans can make mistakes, even in this anime.

Despite all the drama, this had a relatively peaceful ending. I think it was a safe way to complete this season given all the obstacles Jusetsu went through. I also felt like the 13-episodes span fit pretty well for this anime.
Dec 24, 2022 6:58 AM

Jul 2017
This was a whiplash of emotions: Shouxue's confrontation with Feng Xiaoyue bringing to a close that took much of her energy, but the trauma living within the burdens of the Raven Consort herself. Thankfully she's fine, but sadly the Magpie Consort has passed on, and Gaojun must be careful in affairs recurring in the future.

Feng Xiaoyue's case, however, is not closed yet: Xue Yuyong coming into Ye Ming Palace with a request for Shouxue over a game of go and xiangfu incense, to talk about the previous Raven Consort Li Niang's time in the inner palace, until Niao Lian chose her. But ultimately, like father like son, both corroborated in the assassination of the Raven Consort, and despite repeated warnings not to get close to Shouxue, Gaojun did anyways, and it reaped in this conflict where Li Niang could've survived if not for the god-forsaken rule that permits her away from the emperor, and the closest being Shouxue if salvation ever mattered in the first place.

If anything, Gaojun broke the Raven Consort's formalities by insisting to see Shouxue, and look how close they have got overtime, even to the point of Shouxue herself writing a letter for Qin Huiyao's mourning and spending time with Huaniang. Gaojun's injury looked severe, even if it was a mere scratch, but things get resolved over time. And as for the Raven herself, with the generations gone before her and a new-found love between her and Gaojun, may Shouxue find the day that she can be herself again.

Such an enticing show that feels different. A rewatch of this feels plausible, though I feel content with what we got here.
KANLen09Dec 24, 2022 10:25 AM
Dec 24, 2022 8:38 AM

Apr 2016
While i certainly am glad for a happy ending, for Ryuu to be free from her "curse" of sorts, this show kinda felt flat for me, i was really looking forward to it, it had the palace setting that is the prime example of a really interesting and intriguing story. But still, the anime failed at this aspect in my eyes.

And also, is this a full adaptation ? Seeing that the LN is finished (apparently).
Dec 24, 2022 9:21 AM

Feb 2019
It’s finally here, a day I been dreading. Kokyuu finale. So sad to see this end but what a finale.

“Why did you assume I bore any goodwill towards shoxue” HOLY SHIT man the old man was behind it all??? It be the closest that’ll hurt you! Played his role very well. If anything he should’ve been happy that Li Niang’s successor didn’t have to go through what she went thru. She would have wanted Shoxue to be happy and have friends.

Shoxue has come so far. Just the fact that she saw the emperor when she closed her eyes and didn’t want to die was really beautiful. Opening up and calling her two close friends, sister, etc. really happy for her.

The injury that the emperor sustained seems to be something more sinister than just a scratch. May be a curse mark or something. That’s something I can see being explored in a potential s2.

And then those tears at the end! Goosebumps. The magpie consort’s dad will have definitely appreciated that. It wasn’t the emperor’s fault.

Very sad that it’s over but at least we have the LN next year to look towards! Merry Christmas y’all!
Marinate1016Dec 24, 2022 9:35 AM
Dec 24, 2022 9:26 AM

Jan 2008
Swagernator said:
And also, is this a full adaptation ? Seeing that the LN is finished (apparently).

It is only half of it, apparently.
Dec 24, 2022 9:42 AM
Jul 2021
moooooorrrree TT
Dec 24, 2022 10:21 AM

Jul 2011
Thus come to an end, Big occult trouble in Imperial China-like.

I really worry about the Flower Consort, now that the emperor outsourced the well being checks.

Aaaaah shite, the owl will take over the Emperor body beginning with the arm. With that cliffhanger I hope for 1 more season.
Dec 24, 2022 10:23 AM

Oct 2017
Pretty decent finale, Jusetsu and emperor moments were sweet. This anime turned out to be quite an interesting watch. Need more of Jusetsu so s2 please.
Dec 24, 2022 10:24 AM

Jun 2017
I liked this show a good bit. I'll miss it.
Signature.
Dec 24, 2022 12:50 PM
Jan 2019
absolutely stunning. Best OP and ED of the season too. please please we need a season 2
Dec 24, 2022 12:58 PM

Jun 2014
beautiful ending. I adore everything about this anime.
Dec 24, 2022 12:59 PM
Mar 2015
Our gril survived the owl and the court but still has not escaped the raven
Dec 24, 2022 1:03 PM

Dec 2018
that was a neat way to wrap up the season. i loved the show and am totally ready for season 2. such a strange love story.
Dec 24, 2022 1:08 PM

Jan 2018
This was probably the dark horse of the season. Truly an underrated gem. Definitely need a season 2.
Dec 24, 2022 1:28 PM
Jul 2018
Im hoping this gets a second season.
Dec 24, 2022 1:51 PM
Sep 2018
Wow its interesting that the Ed is the op and the op is the ed lol!! As it suggests, it’s such a mysterious show with Chinese and Japanese old era elements that are just so intriguing! I didn’t think I would like the show giving the fact it is slow paced and the animation isn’t out there but wow I was wrong. It’s actually really really decent!
Dec 24, 2022 2:15 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
This episode felt jarringly different--as if a different staff member decided to pick up the pieces and do what they wanted with it. Even though there was a budding friendship between Gaojun and Shouxue, that last scene where she runs into his hands felt very foreign. Like they were spoonfeeding the audience who already got the message about their improved relationship.
The episode alone was okay, (especially seeing Gaojun finally grieve a tumultuous season of grief and exhaustion--peaking at losing a concubine), but this last episode left an overall bland taste in my mouth.  It would have been just as fine as a 12 episode season.

Koukyuu no Karasu was generally an 8/10 enjoyability while watching it, but the pacing and sudden flat turn is maybe a 6/7 for the series overall. It accomplishes its real goal which is to make you consider reading the source material.

That said, even though it was a bit flat over all, I look forward to continuing the journey (of a presumably darker story seeing that nasty bruise-- a big no no for divine beauties i.e. royalty).
Dec 24, 2022 2:19 PM
Dec 2016
It is really interesting to see how Shoxue changes and how this is will impact her relation with raven spirit. It is also notable that Shoxue, at least to me, sees to be an inverse to Li Niang. Li Niang was somehow affluent gurl with happy life and and at least Xue Yiyong as friend before Raven spirit calls her. Shoxue meanwhile, doesn't have any of that. Li Niang then entered the way of solitude as Raven consort and Winter King without even meet her friend, Yuyong. Shoxue meanwhile just 2 years after Li Niang death has gain Emperor, Huaniang, Jiujiu, YiSiha, Hongqiao, and 2 guardian from emperor as her friends. The season 1 fell like an introductionary, slowly burning like an incense before finally deliver souls to ther side of the river in its end.
Dec 24, 2022 2:48 PM
Jan 2018
I hope this show gets a season 2
Dec 24, 2022 4:15 PM

Sep 2007
Other than me being curious about it seemingly to imply that the Emperor's injury might have "traces of the Owl in it" (so to speak)....kind of a "meh" ending like....more could go on but I can easily forget this existed if they don't have future seasons and just end it here...
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Dec 24, 2022 4:57 PM
Feb 2021
really hope they will make the second season since the finale left us with more questions than answers :/
Dec 24, 2022 5:03 PM
Jun 2022
Come on SEASON 2, I'II waiting for you!
Dec 24, 2022 5:35 PM

Jul 2020
I am dying for a second season. I'm glad this episode was a bit slower: the pacing's been a bit fast considering just how much the show covered (not dramatically, but reading the light novels I think this could have been adapted better if given 18 episodes), but this was still so incredible and the tying up of the Magpie Consort's story (the tears between the dad and Gaojun were so moving), of the Owl assassination plot, of the Raven Consort finally finding and accepting people who love her, and setting the stage for a season 2 was well done. There's so much more left to adapt.
forums signatures? party like it's 2005.
Dec 24, 2022 5:42 PM

Jul 2020
Swagernator said:
While i certainly am glad for a happy ending, for Ryuu to be free from her "curse" of sorts, this show kinda felt flat for me, i was really looking forward to it, it had the palace setting that is the prime example of a really interesting and intriguing story. But still, the anime failed at this aspect in my eyes.

It only went through the end of volume 2/midway volume 3 I believe (episode 10 was the 3rd chapter out of 4 in volume 2), and there's 7 volumes in total, so there's plenty more material to adapt.
forums signatures? party like it's 2005.
Dec 24, 2022 5:59 PM

Nov 2021
Bruh, the king, really should've told Shouxe about his wound & that bruise looks like the owl grabbed him and left a bruise, which its definitely a CURSE!!! Why else did an owl wing sprout from his arm when she was dreaming!!! 😭

Also, when the king and the magpie consorts father started crying, it made me cry a Lil bit too- 💔
Ugh, I really hope this show was popular enough and gets the green light for a S2!!! And we'll get more cute scenes with the king and Shouxe!!!

Dec 24, 2022 6:36 PM

Feb 2014
This show left a  mesmerising impression. Shouxue's growth as a person really grew up on us. Gonna miss her pouts.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 24, 2022 6:55 PM

Apr 2015
Really nice end for this hidden gem. The beginning the pace was a little all over the place, but it grows on me. Really liked Shoxue character development too.

I really would like a second season. Solid 8/10
Dec 24, 2022 6:58 PM

May 2020
The Owl is gone, but not forever. Did he really just call his sister's name? Oh, my poor Jusetsu fainted. She has braved well against the Owl.

As usual, I love both the Opening and Ending of this anime.

It's lovely to see so many people surrounding and caring for her. Koushun gave her a wooden carving. 

Hehe, she found out the old man was hiding a sword. Damn, that was a very bad way of bandaging. Jusetsu has a lot more expressions in this episode.

That was a nice ending, with new open plots.
Dec 24, 2022 7:43 PM

Jun 2015
Really?! That's how you gonna end it?!

Oh great... I can just continue with the original source. Oh wait, I DON'T HAVE THE NOVELS..!!! AGAIN..?!

It's not the most brutal cliffhanger, but I'm pouting regardless. Good show, good show. I hope we can get more of it.
Dec 24, 2022 8:10 PM

May 2020
Man this show was such a snoozefest. Not like it was terrible, but pretty unremarkable. Won't be watching a season 2 if it gets greenlit
Dec 24, 2022 9:52 PM

Jun 2022
I am so sad that the season is over. It felt like only yesterday that it was October and the series had begun. It might not be picked up for a second season, but I still have a sheer shred of hope. I really want to see more of the story animated. I like manga and light novels fine, but there's something so much more when one sees it animated with a score and the seiyuu breathe even more 3D life into the characters with their voices and talent.

I'm intrigued by The Owl (Shougetsu Hou/Xiaoyue Feng) and with his possible possession of Emperor Koushun. Also, I melted at the many moments between Koushun and Jusetsu this episode. I have been wholly dedicated to their budding romantic relationship over the span of the series (and so has Jiu-Jiu, hasn't she? hehe).

These past couple of months have been so much fun. It's been great to watch the series every week along with the Japanese audience. Such a huge change from how it was when I was a teen in the late 90's.

Dec 24, 2022 9:53 PM

Jul 2021
excellent episode. this in no manner is the end of this series. shouxue is yet to be freed from the grasps of the goddess or rather the goddess from the grasps of the raven consorts.

we got some great shouxue and gaojun moments.

what the old dude was doing was kinda understandable but what i didn't understand is shouxue closing her eyes and accepting to be killed instead of defending herself when the old dude was gonna stab her. she's the strongest person in that whole palace or whatever, she can easily defend herself. i didn't mind that gaojun let the old man free after what he tried. maybe he understood the reason behind his actions.

we got pout shouxe after soooooo many episodes. i think the last time was in episode first or second.

gonna miss this outstanding anime. an easy 10/10 for me. this so deserves a season 2 man. i really hope it's annoounced soon.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 24, 2022 9:59 PM

Oct 2016
I hope to God we get a continuation, this is one of my favorite new shows this season, one of the gems. It just got better and better as it went on.

I had a feeling that Yuyong was feeling some sort jealousy, he thought Li Niang was lonely all these time, while Shouxue has all these people with her, not realizing that it was this same girl that saved Li Niang from her loneliness. Have a happy retirement, old man.

Gaojun crying definitely got me too, that was a pretty emotional scene and of course the last scene was beautiful. I am going to miss this show. 8/10

Just gotta say, Shouxue's clumsiness within that graceful disposition is great and she's a little bit of a tsundere too, perfection. 
Dec 25, 2022 12:46 AM

Nov 2012
BlichoBoy said:
Thus come to an end, Big occult trouble in Imperial China-like.

I really worry about the Flower Consort, now that the emperor outsourced the well being checks.

Aaaaah shite, the owl will take over the Emperor body beginning with the arm. With that cliffhanger I hope for 1 more season.
Big Troublei In Little China referrence. Well done. 
Dec 25, 2022 1:22 AM

Aug 2014
This show is so beautiful and it comes to an end. Hope there will be season 2 or something
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Dec 25, 2022 2:45 AM
Sep 2021
Nice episode the season really didn't leave the mysterious feel.
I give this episode 5/10.
Dec 25, 2022 4:26 AM
Jul 2011
I enjoyed so much this anime, I hope it gets a second season, I believe the Empereor got the owl inside his body, and he will be a kind of enemy in the possible second season
Dec 25, 2022 7:18 AM

Nov 2011
Pouty Jusetsu will always bring a smile to my heart.

Solid episode but man the emperor getting possessed by the Owl it looks like????

Need a season 2 asap.

8/10
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Dec 25, 2022 8:58 AM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018
This is surely the dark horse this season for me

This scene was stunning!
Dec 25, 2022 1:43 PM

Dec 2015
An interesting end to this season. Wasn't expecting him to be behind all that since he loved Li Nuan so much.
Pretty sure Li Nuan wanted her to break that cycle of isolation. Was Xiao Yue's plan to kill Shouxue before she has a successor?
That way the cycle can be broken and he can have his sister come back to him. I look forward to what this series has in store for us.
Dec 25, 2022 1:48 PM

Jun 2014
A very satisfying ending to this anime. It's been great following Jusetsu's journey and seeing her character growth, especially with how much more she opens up to the Emperor compared to the beginning of the show when she was very cold toward him. All of the lore and whatnot was interesting to learn about, and the show was very aesthetically pleasing with great music too. My main issue with this show was how it felt like it would set up interesting conflicts only for them to be resolved as quickly as they were set up, including the final conflict against Xiao Yue. Still, I enjoyed this anime overall and it was a pleasant watch.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 25, 2022 2:01 PM
Feb 2021
I really like this anime. The aesthetic, the soundtracks and the story are beautiful. I just didn't understand what happened in the end.
Dec 25, 2022 2:01 PM
Oct 2016
Am I the only one who felt this ending anticlimactic
Dec 25, 2022 2:22 PM

May 2022
To me, this was an enjoyable, original series. After the last episode, I am left with more questions than answers about the plot. I would love to see more of this story. For now, I will search for the light novel in English. 
Dec 25, 2022 2:55 PM

Aug 2013
A real hidden gem that I almost skipped.
Also, Jusetsu is the most beautiful girl of the season.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 25, 2022 6:08 PM

Aug 2016
10/10 BEST SHOUJO EVER. honestly, i love this anime since the beginning, i need second season to be confirmed,,,, i'm sobbing guysss
Dec 25, 2022 9:56 PM

Aug 2015
8/10 for our "mysterious" pouty raven chinese girl.

I really enjoyed this anime. It have a great atmosphere and the relationships between the characters felt natural and thoughtful, even for the ones that had minor appereances. I have no idea how the series did in JP but I hope they make a season 2 eventually.
Dec 25, 2022 11:31 PM
Jul 2019
time to bid farewell to the raven consort
Dec 26, 2022 9:55 AM

Jan 2021
A pretty underrated series if I do say so myself. S2 when?
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Dec 26, 2022 10:02 AM
Jan 2021
loved the chinese style of anime
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koukyuu no Karasu Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2022

49 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 6, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Koukyuu no Karasu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2022

42 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 5, 11:48 PM

Poll: » Koukyuu no Karasu Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2022

38 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 5, 11:27 PM

Poll: » Koukyuu no Karasu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2022

30 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 5, 11:05 PM

Poll: » Koukyuu no Karasu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2022

43 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 5, 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.