Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 22, 2022 12:47 PM

Feb 2018
Ok, I've eyed this series for a good while and finally managed to started this series and in least than 24 hours I watched 8 episodes... but I just don't feel it as the #1 sports anime. 

I'm not saying it's bad, just that it is OK and it has some great moments from time to time... anyway, my main question is: will it get better?

If I had to rank my favorite sports animes, this isn't on my top 5 (but might make it inside top10). And from the three sports animes I've watched this year, it ranks last. (Chihayafuru and Blue Lock are the other two)
BiobulletMDec 22, 2022 1:02 PM
Dec 22, 2022 12:57 PM
Aug 2022
I would reccomend to watch a few more episodes and see if you enjoy the show more once karasuno gets deeper into the tournaments but don't force yourself if you don't like it
Dec 22, 2022 12:59 PM
Feb 2021
it doesn't have to be #1 sports anime for you y'know. it's just the most known/loved sports animanga so most of the people like it the best
Nir#9404 on discord feel free to DM me
Dec 22, 2022 12:59 PM
May 2022
I think it gets a lot better. I wasn't a fan of most of the first season but I got really hooked at the end of it. That's when I really got into it as a sports anime and all and I think it's worth it to keep watching.
Dec 22, 2022 1:02 PM

Feb 2018
Zombierunner said:
I would reccomend to watch a few more episodes and see if you enjoy the show more once karasuno gets deeper into the tournaments but don't force yourself if you don't like it
I'm liking it, just not that much. I've found time to watch it now that they released a dub on crunchyroll, makes it much easier for me to watch.
Dec 22, 2022 1:03 PM

Jun 2016
Popularity doesn't always translate to quality.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 22, 2022 1:03 PM
Dec 2022
Haikyu was ok ig it could've been better in my opinion
Dec 22, 2022 1:06 PM
Mar 2022
I enjoyed the first season, but for some reason I got restless by episode 3 of s2 and can't get back into it 😏
Dec 22, 2022 1:09 PM

Sep 2020
Idk what to tell you. This is the most popular sports anime, not my favorite but it really sets the standard for what a good sports anime is. It is the kind of anime you'll consume quickly if you enjoy the sport and you enjoy the anime. I can't tell you to watch a bunch of episodes just to get to the peak, which for me is the third season. Drop it like it's hot if you still feel the same way about it after reaching halfway into the first season.

I'm guessing you wouldn't enjoy other sports anime like Ace of the diamond and Ao Ashi which contain similar themes and characters to Haikyuu. Maybe One outs will be the next sports anime you'd come to enjoy.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Dec 22, 2022 1:21 PM

Apr 2016
I could say "watch more episodes" or something like that... but it's better to say: don't watch ANYTHING just to watch the "number 1" of anything. Just watch it and enjoy it. If it's not the number one... it doesn't matter at all.
Dec 22, 2022 1:26 PM

Jun 2021
I liked it okay, but then I watched Kuroko and Yowamushi pedal and realized that they’re better (in my opinion)
Dec 22, 2022 1:36 PM
Jun 2022
Cestlavie_ said:
BiobulletM said:
Ok, I've eyed this series for a good while and finally managed to started this series and in least than 24 hours I watched 8 episodes... but I just don't feel it as the #1 sports anime. 

I'm not saying it's bad, just that it is OK and it has some great moments from time to time... anyway, my main question is: will it get better?

If I had to rank my favorite sports animes, this isn't on my top 5 (but might make it inside top10). And from the three sports animes I've watched this year, it ranks last. (Chihayafuru and Blue Lock are the other two)

Putting Bluelock above Haikyuu is criminal ngl
I haven't watched many sports anime but Haikyuu is a good cut above the rest imo

Hajime no Ippo>Haikyuu>Ao Ashi>Kuroko no basket>Chihayafuru>Blue lock
haven't watched diamond no ace cause I haven't the faintest clue on baseball

Putting chihayafuru under kuroko no basket and haikyu is a worse crime, chihayafuru is the best sports anime i've watched
Dec 22, 2022 1:43 PM
Aug 2019
I’d say watch more. Personally for me, I kind of liked the first season but it was hard for me to get into. Even so, the second season was amazing for me. That being said I didn’t really enjoy the third and fourth season so watch with your own taste in mind.
Dec 22, 2022 2:44 PM
Nov 2020
#1? more like one of the better recent sports anime.
Dec 22, 2022 2:53 PM

Jan 2020
Number one based on what? MAL ratings? 

The first season of Haikyuu and the last one (due to the animation downgrade, but otherwise nothing else) are the weakest. Plus, here's what I don't like about this. You can't watch like 10% of the entire show and claim that it doesn't deserve its spot. I also don't get why people find it surprising when they don't like a show as much as the majority did. Congrats on realizing that it's not to your taste I guess.  
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Dec 22, 2022 3:34 PM
Jul 2022
All I can say is just keep watching. It'll definitely get better imo
Dec 22, 2022 3:49 PM
May 2022
Cestlavie_ said:
BiobulletM said:

I haven't watched many sports anime but Haikyuu is a good cut above the rest imo

I just have a single comment 🤣
i didn’t know anything about baseball but learned it through diamond no ace and i looooove diamond no ace
you seem to love all the sports ones i do so i think you would enjoy it 😊
Dec 22, 2022 3:51 PM
May 2022
I don’t think it had to be your favorite personally it’s not my favorite but it was the anime that made me look into sports animes because of how good it was
my favorite is Kurokos but that could be because it’s also my fav sport

Kuroko no Basket > Haikyuu! > One Outs > Blue Lock > Sk8 > Ao Ashi > Diamond no Ace > Free > Hinomaru Zumou
Dec 22, 2022 4:10 PM
Jul 2021
why u judging it when ur only 8 eps in?💀
Dec 22, 2022 4:10 PM
Jul 2021
adrx24 said:
I don’t think it had to be your favorite personally it’s not my favorite but it was the anime that made me look into sports animes because of how good it was

Kuroko no Basket > Haikyuu! > One Outs > Blue Lock > Sk8 > Ao Ashi > Diamond no Ace > Free > Hinomaru Zumou

watch run with the wind
Dec 22, 2022 4:11 PM
May 2022
aya_44 said:
adrx24 said:

watch run with the wind

adding it right now thank you 😁😌
Dec 22, 2022 4:13 PM

Aug 2018
yes, it will get better
Dec 22, 2022 4:43 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
I wasn’t the biggest fan either. Like yeah it’s still good (maybe 7 or 8 out of 10) but I wouldn’t call it amazing.

I’d recommend Kuroko’s Basketball or Blue Lock personally :D
Dec 22, 2022 4:48 PM
May 2021
I used to really like,but now when I watch it, it feel like it’s way too dramatic, like I understand it’s a sports anime, but it gets annoying. I don’t think it should be the #1 sports anime
Dec 22, 2022 5:04 PM

Nov 2017
at least in my opinion, what makes haikyuu so great is the character development of everyone in the show on top of the fun-to-watch and exhilarating volleyball matches

haikyuu has some of the most well-written, impressive, and believable character motivations and development I’ve ever seen in anime

it’s really incredible and worth the watch in my opinion, but obviously please don’t force yourself to watch it if you don’t really enjoy it, but if you decide to continue it it’s very rewarding!
"Leonardo... it wasn't, by any means, only your eyes that we welcomed into Libra."
- Klaus von Reinherz
Dec 22, 2022 5:24 PM

Oct 2015
To OP,

It is perfectly fine to not enjoy a popular anime.

I fell asleep watching Haikyuu S2 multiple times because the games are getting predictable. I just moved on.

Haikyuu is not the no1 sports anime in Japan, it is no2 behind Chihayafuru~

EDIT: You can try Slam Dunk. :)
Dec 22, 2022 7:31 PM
Oct 2020
Haikyuu in its entirety is in my opinion the greatest complete sports manga package. It really gives you everything you could ask for from a manga, from character development to hype moments with heart all the way through all in a realistic way where even characters who aren’t Olympic athlete level high schoolers end up stealing the show. It wraps in such a beautiful way that I can’t describe how satisfying it is if you don’t follow the whole story through.

Also if you Don’t like it don’t watch it, please stop these airport posts we don’t need your departure schedule.

Good recs would be Hajime No Ippo, AoAshi, Kuroko for shounen fun, or read the Slam Dunk manga or the manga Real if you’re looking for something unique. But at least watch the whole season before judging.
Dec 22, 2022 7:46 PM
Jul 2022
BiobulletM said:

I dropped Haikyuu after 1 season. I am not a sports guy, so I’m still looking for the sports anime that gets me going. Blue Lock, prince of tennis, and Haikyuu didn’t do it for me, but maybe chihiyafuru will
Dec 22, 2022 11:30 PM
Oct 2020
BiobulletM said:

It will get better. In my opinion the best season, and the one that makes it the #1 sports animes, is the third one. Its just perfect.

However, if you arent liking it so far don’t force yourself.
Dec 23, 2022 3:20 AM
Feb 2019
Theo1899 said:
Popularity doesn't always translate to quality.

THIS!!

(characters limit)
Dec 23, 2022 5:49 AM
Jul 2022
BiobulletM said:

How can you ask "will it get better" after watching 8 episodes out of like 50? Bro...
Obviously it will get better if the anime is well spoken.
Dec 23, 2022 8:53 AM
Oct 2022
Cestlavie_ said:
BiobulletM said:

Putting haikyuu above kuroko is wild to me.
Dec 23, 2022 9:14 AM
May 2021
I definitely feel it gets better, but only if you can get invested in the characters and relationships
Dec 23, 2022 9:32 AM
Feb 2021
It does get better, I had the same experience with you when I first watched it , I finished season 1 I was like meh, early S1 is slow imo, it does start to get interesting as you watch, but for some reason it just didn't click with me back than, just like you i didn't think it's any better than the other sport anime I watched, so I didn't bother watching another season. But then when the pandemic happened and I got some free time so I gave it another shot, watched S2, I totally got hooked on, can't stop watching and watched everything , after that I was thirsty for more so I even caught up the manga, and lemme tell you it gets even better later on the ending is also👌. Really recommend you continue it, if you still don't feel like liking it you can just drop it, but at least watch more see if you like it or not.
Dec 23, 2022 12:15 PM
Dec 2020
I still think it's best lol
Dec 23, 2022 2:31 PM
Mar 2021
It gets SO much better as it goes on. I eat ready to rate it 6/10 after the first half of season 1 but it increases to at least an 8 and season 3 is one of my favourite anime seasons period.
Dec 23, 2022 5:15 PM
Nov 2020
The first season is just ok, the 2nd and 3rd ones are great. Then it turns to sh*t in ss4
Dec 23, 2022 9:33 PM
Jan 2021
It probably also depends on if you can relate to the characters and the situations presented in the anime. I personally love it. Growing up in an Asian country, being into sports, for me this anime brings out a lot of good memories I wish I could experience once again. There is no toxic characters in Haikyuu. Every individuals we get introduced to are interesting and enduring it there own way. I never thought I’d be a sports anime fan but this was a perfect introduction to it. However the animes I’ve watched after this while they were good, could not compare Haikyuu.

It’s just wholesome, how every character wants to better themselves and getting inspired by Hinata to not give up and the connection they have as a team. Plus how other teams teach and bond with them over time is really touching.

Seriously I can keep going all day about what I love about this anime. I mean I watch this at least 4-5 times each year. I just wish they gave us another full season to complete the story instead of the movie we will be getting.
Dec 24, 2022 12:43 AM
Nov 2016
It definitely gets better and you'll probably get more attached to the characters too. Haikyuu's not the top imo either but i still came out loving it. Even if you don't, tho, it's fine. Maybe just not your cup of tea. You can try out other stuff like knb, one outs, yowapeda, etcetc.
Dec 24, 2022 7:14 AM
Aug 2022
BiobulletM said:

it will get better
Dec 24, 2022 10:34 AM
Dec 2019
The second season is like the first but a lot better and then there's the third season which is like the culmination of the last two seasons and it is peak
Dec 24, 2022 8:11 PM
Jul 2019
Season 1 isn’t great but season 2 and 3 are awesome.
Dec 26, 2022 10:23 PM
Jun 2021
it doesnt have to be 1# Sports ANIME. it just has alot of people who have watched it. watch a little bit more when theyre in tournaments/competitive and you might like the show more. if you still dont like the show then thats fine. (offtipic: have you seen clean freak aoyama? its a good football anime)
Dec 27, 2022 11:05 AM

Feb 2018
WizardKing999 said:
I dropped Haikyuu after 1 season. I am not a sports guy, so I’m still looking for the sports anime that gets me going. Blue Lock, prince of tennis, and Haikyuu didn’t do it for me, but maybe chihiyafuru will

Tell me how that goes Chihayafuru is way different, even if it has many of the same quirks sports anime have. I don't feel like it's for everybody, but try at least 4 episodes.
Dec 27, 2022 5:58 PM
Jul 2022
BiobulletM said:
WizardKing999 said:

Tell me how that goes Chihayafuru is way different, even if it has many of the same quirks sports anime have. I don't feel like it's for everybody, but try at least 4 episodes.

Okay. I’ll do that then.
Dec 29, 2022 11:37 AM

Feb 2018
SaveStyle said:
(offtipic: have you seen clean freak aoyama? its a good football anime)

Nope, I still have Aoashi and Giant Killing on my pipeline
Dec 29, 2022 11:42 AM

Apr 2018
The second season is a lot better than the first season, keep watching.

Jan 4, 2023 12:54 PM

Feb 2018
Ok, yesterday I finished season 1, but I'll take a break from it before watching S2.

My final thoughts: Well, they remain the same, it is just an OK series, but it's easy to watch and follow, the action remains focused and with a lot of character interaction, I get why it's popular... but it just isn't the best in the genre IMO.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2014

125 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2014

140 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 12:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2014

176 by ANIk_003 »»
May 15, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

303 by isxelle »»
Apr 28, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.