Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 10, 2022 9:23 AM
Oct 2019
I feel like this is what incels and black pilled people unironically think what happens to ugly people. Is there some element of truth to it? Sure? But no where near this point. The reality is that if you are ugly, no one pays attention to you. No good attention and no bad attention. There are absolutely struggles that ugly people face and this portrayal of it does nothing to highlight that issue which I just find disappointing

EDIT: All the people saying, "its anime, of course it's exaggerated" slap yourself. That is the very thing I am criticizing. This anime's purpose isn't to show that we value pretty people too much (like one guy said), it's to open people's eyes to the struggles ugly people face by contrasting it with a pretty persons perspective. I don't like how they go off into this fairytale land that describes ugly people as literal shit stains. They could have done an immensely better job at portraying the ugly experience, but instead we get this? They speak about nothing profound, nothing nuanced. All the anime's with that one ugly character that gets their one episode already told us everything this show did in its 8 episode length. They don't need to exaggerate this topic. Bullying on the basis of appearance is already something we don't see in media (at least I don't). For an anime named Lookism, for it to be so 1-dimensional... I expected more. I call it incel propaganda because this 1-dimensional way of viewing this dynamic feels like it could of only been conjured up by someone who doesn't go outside. Whether the author does or doesn't is irrelevant.
AdayauuDec 12, 2022 2:25 PM
Dec 10, 2022 10:21 AM
Jul 2022
i gotta admit i was kinda disappointed that there was not much depth to the topic of lookism itself
however ive seen people get bullied just because of their looks and in this case i felt it was just an exaggerated way to get the point across that people who are viewed as good looking by society have it easier in life
execution of it was not the best tho
Dec 10, 2022 12:29 PM
Jun 2022
yahh I can agree on both the above points made by u guys and just want to add up that the world right now we live in is soo complex and connected and diverse that only judging people with looks is not the criteria and now people are well aware of it not everyone but yahh majority is soo I gotta say even if someone is good looking or the otherwise there will be fare share of difficulties and suffering in there life and after all that is what life all about.
Dec 10, 2022 12:39 PM

Aug 2018
I haven't seen the show and don't plan to but I do know that when anime portrays bullying, it often exaggerates it to ridiculous extremes.
Dec 10, 2022 12:58 PM

Apr 2022
yeah it's a serious topic but i felt the execution was very poor. i love eminem as well but the whole rap thing felt so unnecessary. the bullying was still hard to watch but the show as a whole failed to impact me in anyway. i was hoping to feel moved and unfortunately, i didn't.
Dec 10, 2022 1:20 PM

Feb 2011
epidemia78 said:
I haven't seen the show and don't plan to but I do know that when anime portrays bullying, it often exaggerates it to ridiculous extremes.
To be honest it depends on the school and country. For example, when I was in school bullies broke one guy a leg and another one's head was smashed against the wall so that he got a concussion; all for no other reason that it was "fun" to them. So most bullying I see in anime is pretty tame.
Dec 10, 2022 1:28 PM
Jun 2021
epidemia78 said:

this is the west where bullying isn't that bad. lookism is set in korea where bullying is a much more big and dangerous problem
Dec 10, 2022 1:28 PM

Aug 2018
-Shizuna- said:
epidemia78 said:
To be honest it depends on the school and country. For example, when I was in school bullies broke one guy a leg and another one's head was smashed against the wall so that he got a concussion; all for no other reason that it was "fun" to them. So most bullying I see in anime is pretty tame.

Well damn. That's pretty extreme. Where I'm from, bullying is usually more about cruel jokes/rumors and being socially ostracized.
Dec 10, 2022 1:29 PM
Jun 2021
Adayauu said:
I feel like this is what incels and black pilled people unironically think what happens to ugly people. Is there some element of truth to it? Sure? But no where near this point. The reality is that if you are ugly, no one pays attention to you. No good attention and no bad attention. There are absolutely struggles that ugly people face and this portrayal of it does nothing to highlight that issue which I just find disappointing

that may be the case in the west but in Korea being pretty really is a power. You are really looked down upon if you're really ugly and Koreans especially have no problems hiding how they feel about you
Dec 10, 2022 1:31 PM

Jan 2014
epidemia78 said:
-Shizuna- said:

Well damn. That's pretty extreme. Where I'm from, bullying is usually more about cruel jokes/rumors and being socially ostracized.

That's really just a girl thing. Guys just outright beat the shit out you.
Dec 10, 2022 1:32 PM

Aug 2018
HanBoitheLamb said:
Adayauu said:

that may be the case in the west but in Korea being pretty really is a power. You are really looked down upon if you're really ugly and Koreans especially have no problems hiding how they feel about you

Hmm I don't know much about Korea but I have noticed K-pop fandom is about the most toxic goddamn thing on the internet.
Dec 10, 2022 2:24 PM
Aug 2021
Well for starters, bullying and societal values regarding looks are still much more prominent in the east than they are in the west. Not to say it isn’t prominent in the west, but it’s definitely improved quite a bit.

Secondly… welcome to fiction. Where shit gets exaggerated. We’re talking about a story involving gang wars between almost-superhuman high schoolers who look ten years older than they are. Of course the drama is gonna be exaggerated. And I can see why some might not like it, but it isn’t an objective flaw.

From what I could tell, this story’s message was “society (more specifically Korean society since that’s the setting) places too much value and priority on outward appearance.” And through the use of exaggerated fiction, I’d say it did that pretty well.

You’re already completely justified in not liking the show, but calling the show incel propaganda in your attempt at further unnecessary justification just seems kinda dumb to me. But to each their own I guess

(Sorry for the rant. I’m a nerd 🤓)
Mando727Dec 10, 2022 3:13 PM
Dec 10, 2022 2:58 PM
Jan 2017
after watching the 8 episodes, i would rather say that most people in this series is shallow asf, looks and strength in the only worth in this series(basco is the best)
Still a 7/10 tho
Dec 10, 2022 3:15 PM

Nov 2010
I am from the West and as a girl being ugly as a teen was really among others things, a point of bullying. Like people were more likely to bully me instead of others because of my appearance. Being nerdy is not that bad but being nerdy and ugly is. The bullying was indeed tame compare to what I see in anime and Japanese and Korean dramas but I heard that over there bullying is very harsh.
Dec 10, 2022 4:41 PM
Aug 2022
You guys are missing the entire point of it. It’s just a show where someone who had nothing one day is granted the chance to have everything he wanted. The 8 episodes don’t even cover 10% of the manhwa, it gets way better later on since you see both bodies of his go through major changes along with the people with him.
Dec 10, 2022 5:01 PM
Dec 2021
-Shizuna- said:
epidemia78 said:

Damn! That’s extreme. I haven’t seen any actual bullies in my lifetime. Everyone here will fight even if they know they’ll lose, so both parties earn each other’s respect.
Dec 10, 2022 7:21 PM
Jun 2021
epidemia78 said:
HanBoitheLamb said:

Hmm I don't know much about Korea but I have noticed K-pop fandom is about the most toxic goddamn thing on the internet.

hm? oh that. i dont even listen to kpop very often but i have heard it is indeed really toxic
Dec 10, 2022 8:20 PM
Jul 2009
I'm from SEA and yes, even here bullying is freaking bad. My brother has one friend whose back was broken when bullies beat him so badly. That's not even mentioning fights between schools. I got a classmate who got sent to the hospital because his hand got cut up so badly. Bullying in the east is a serious problem. My highschool during my time was one of the school with the biggest problem with fighting and deliquency in my country, I was lucky I survived 3 years there.
Dec 10, 2022 9:54 PM
Dec 2020
The reason many people is bothered by the way things happen in this animation is cause they are used with animes from Japan. The thing is this is set in korea where people dont see the beauty standards as just one part of things. Is really extreme there,to the point people photoshop their pictures in curriculums or they are not even called to interviews. Bullying is a huge issue there too and is overlooked by authorities many times. Being poor and ugly is like having nothing to make you belong in their society. Sounds severe but is their reality.
For someone that follow their news a lot the issues are not just fiction is their reality, the whole switching body is the fantasy people wish they could have. But yeah plastic surgery is huge there cause of this and many minorities suffer bullying.

I enjoyed the animation but I understand people used with japanese culture will find it odd.
Dec 11, 2022 1:25 AM
Jun 2021
mobxmentality said:
i gotta admit i was kinda disappointed that there was not much depth to the topic of lookism itself
however ive seen people get bullied just because of their looks and in this case i felt it was just an exaggerated way to get the point across that people who are viewed as good looking by society have it easier in life

The thing is that Its kinda true if ur Good looking u Will have it easier becouse the odds of you getting bullied when u look Good are way lower and not only that woman their standards are absurdly high nowadays so if ur ugly u stand no chance of getting in a relationship unless ur partner is imensely ugly as well Thats just the harsch reality and also I don’t think this show is just about bullying and how it’s easier for Good looking ppl I think it also motivates ppl who are ugly and fat to improve themselves and become good looking as well.
Dec 11, 2022 3:56 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
South Korea is an admirable country in many respects. But status and looks matter more there than in any other "rich and developed" country I've ever lived in. People really look down on "ugly" there and have a focus on brands and status to a degree I didn't meet anywhere else.

Maybe the beating and violent aspects of bullying are ratched up to 11 for dramatic, flair, but bullying is definitely a big problem down there.
FarabeufDec 11, 2022 4:38 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 11, 2022 12:01 PM
Oct 2020
Adayauu said:

bro watched hamza and hate black pillers and ugly people from now on, lmao
Dec 11, 2022 12:03 PM

Apr 2016
Just dont be ugly OP.
Dec 11, 2022 12:13 PM

Sep 2018
Looks are the genetic difficulty setting of life as it determines how others treat you. This idea is shown everywhere in media.
Dec 11, 2022 1:39 PM
Jan 2018
Mando727 said:
Well for starters, bullying and societal values regarding looks are still much more prominent in the east than they are in the west. Not to say it isn’t prominent in the west, but it’s definitely improved quite a bit.

Secondly… welcome to fiction. Where shit gets exaggerated. We’re talking about a story involving gang wars between almost-superhuman high schoolers who look ten years older than they are. Of course the drama is gonna be exaggerated. And I can see why some might not like it, but it isn’t an objective flaw.

From what I could tell, this story’s message was “society (more specifically Korean society since that’s the setting) places too much value and priority on outward appearance.” And through the use of exaggerated fiction, I’d say it did that pretty well.

You’re already completely justified in not liking the show, but calling the show incel propaganda in your attempt at further unnecessary justification just seems kinda dumb to me. But to each their own I guess

(Sorry for the rant. I’m a nerd 🤓)

NAH U were cookin & I completely agree ESPECIALLY cus I'm a manhwa reader & can tell u it gets WAY better from here(I hope for a s2 cus this was kinda short wit only 8 eps)
Dec 11, 2022 1:41 PM
Jan 2018
aico64 said:
mobxmentality said:

The thing is that Its kinda true if ur Good looking u Will have it easier becouse the odds of you getting bullied when u look Good are way lower and not only that woman their standards are absurdly high nowadays so if ur ugly u stand no chance of getting in a relationship unless ur partner is imensely ugly as well Thats just the harsch reality and also I don’t think this show is just about bullying and how it’s easier for Good looking ppl I think it also motivates ppl who are ugly and fat to improve themselves and become good looking as well.

U R correct bout that last point(manhwa reader)
Dec 11, 2022 6:44 PM
Apr 2022
Adayauu said:
Its definitely exaggerated like most anime. That didn't really bother me though. It was fun and super enjoyable imo
Dec 11, 2022 6:48 PM
Apr 2022
Koshi_Inaba said:
I'm from SEA and yes, even here bullying is freaking bad. My brother has one friend whose back was broken when bullies beat him so badly. That's not even mentioning fights between schools. I got a classmate who got sent to the hospital because his hand got cut up so badly. Bullying in the east is a serious problem. My highschool during my time was one of the school with the biggest problem with fighting and deliquency in my country, I was lucky I survived 3 years there.
Bro grew up in Ohio not even gonna lie
Dec 11, 2022 8:15 PM

Apr 2020
Adayauu said:

I’ve seen even teachers get bullied for their looks. It’s not physical bullying though, it’s just verbal bullying. Even cyberbullying happens a lot on my school
Over here in Louisiana, trying to physically bully someone will not end well for you.
cupcake847Dec 11, 2022 8:18 PM
"Humans are like isolated islands, floating in the sea of fate.
Human encounters are like the collision of these lonely islands, and once they touch, there would be an effect. Sometimes, the islands would stick together, in the name of ‘interest’, ‘kinship’, ‘friendship’, ‘love’ and ‘hate’. But eventually, they would separate, walking towards the path of destruction.

This is the truth behind life."

-Fang Yuan
Dec 11, 2022 8:20 PM
Oct 2019
veinnnn said:
Adayauu said:

bro watched hamza and hate black pillers and ugly people from now on, lmao
dont know who that is but good one
Dec 11, 2022 8:22 PM
Jul 2009
Rimusimp said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Indonesia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floods_in_Jakarta

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawuran

https://youtu.be/mXWoe6rMOS0

I live in a country that has most active volcanoes, earthquake is a yearly occurance and it floods every rainy season. And when I said "fight between schools", they fight with machetes and sharp weapons and it could happen weekly. It also involved more than 50% of students of each year, not just a few. Also, a few years after I graduated, one of my junior killed somebody from a neighboring school with a machete. So please, don't patronize me.
Koshi_InabaDec 11, 2022 8:49 PM
Dec 11, 2022 9:07 PM
Apr 2022
Koshi_Inaba said:
Rimusimp said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Indonesia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floods_in_Jakarta

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawuran

https://youtu.be/mXWoe6rMOS0

I live in a country that has most active volcanoes, earthquake is a yearly occurance and it floods every rainy season. And when I said "fight between schools", they fight with machetes and sharp weapons and it could happen weekly. It also involved more than 50% of students of each year, not just a few. Also, a few years after I graduated, one of my junior killed somebody from a neighboring school with a machete. So please, don't patronize me.
Dang bro I grew up in Florida and in terms of fights well I mean we throw paper I guess. And wasn’t tryna patronize the Ohio joke is a popular meme rn cuz Ohio is wack af
Dec 11, 2022 11:04 PM

Aug 2018
GYBOx said:
You guys are missing the entire point of it. It’s just a show where someone who had nothing one day is granted the chance to have everything he wanted. The 8 episodes don’t even cover 10% of the manhwa, it gets way better later on since you see both bodies of his go through major changes along with the people with him.
You are the one missing the point this anime is shallow af if you look up the author you realize why. Pretty people are super heroes that can beat up everyone and are super rich, and ugly people should die is the message of this anime. My guess the author(Park, Tae-Jun) had the pretty boy also be good at fighting because people told him that he is weak that would make actually be a good story having the pretty boy also in a way get bully too but he wrote it was a wish fulfillment story, the author is so shallow.
Dec 12, 2022 1:52 AM

Sep 2019
Lol bro it ain’t that deep
Dec 12, 2022 1:01 PM

Mar 2021
Adayauu said:
That's a rather generalized view that ignores the fact that different cultures may have different social norms and related problems. Also, not that it matters, but Tae-Jun Park, the author of the manhwa, doesn't look like an incel to me.
one anime, two anime
Dec 12, 2022 1:09 PM

Feb 2021
Why? Although it is fiction, there are such people in real life and they can change themselves too, it is all real. I like the premise which author shows us - you can ALWAYS change yourself, nothing is impossible. The most important is your desire to change yourself, that is it.
Volkslied said:
Adayauu said:
That's a rather generalized view that ignores the fact that different cultures may have different social norms and related problems. Also, not that it matters, but Tae-Jun Park, the author of the manhwa, doesn't look like an incel to me.

I agree, author doesn't also seems to me as from incel subculture.
Dec 15, 2022 2:00 AM
Jan 2022
HanBoitheLamb said:
epidemia78 said:

this is the west where bullying isn't that bad. lookism is set in korea where bullying is a much more big and dangerous problem

Its weird to say that in the west bullying isn’t that bad. As a school counselor in the Netherlands ( and i worked in Paris in the banlieues, and did an internship at an highschool in Nevada) i can tell you that bullying is bad everywhere. I had a student trying to set another student on fire “as a joke”.
Dec 15, 2022 2:10 AM
Jan 2022
Adayauu said:

EDIT: All the people saying, "its anime, of course it's exaggerated" slap yourself. That is the very thing I am criticizing. This anime's purpose isn't to show that we value pretty people too much (like one guy said), it's to open people's eyes to the struggles ugly people face by contrasting it with a pretty persons perspective. I don't like how they go off into this fairytale land that describes ugly people as literal shit stains. They could have done an immensely better job at portraying the ugly experience, but instead we get this? They speak about nothing profound, nothing nuanced. All the anime's with that one ugly character that gets their one episode already told us everything this show did in its 8 episode length. They don't need to exaggerate this topic. Bullying on the basis of appearance is already something we don't see in media (at least I don't). For an anime named Lookism, for it to be so 1-dimensional... I expected more. I call it incel propaganda because this 1-dimensional way of viewing this dynamic feels like it could of only been conjured up by someone who doesn't go outside. Whether the author does or doesn't is irrelevant.

It was al exaggerated i felt. Like when someone gaged because the other person was fat. And the people randomly called the other people a pig to their face was just WILDDD to me.

But then again i do feel like there are crazy people in the world. And im sure there are people out there who actually treat people this way.
Dec 15, 2022 3:58 PM
Jun 2021
Graceofmonaco said:
HanBoitheLamb said:

Its weird to say that in the west bullying isn’t that bad. As a school counselor in the Netherlands ( and i worked in Paris in the banlieues, and did an internship at an highschool in Nevada) i can tell you that bullying is bad everywhere. I had a student trying to set another student on fire “as a joke”.

sorry i should have re worded that. bullying is bad everywhere of course but the way korean society works combined with the fact that bullying isn't seen as a problem leads to one of the highest places of suicide among teens
Dec 15, 2022 7:52 PM

Sep 2019
this anime/manwha just seems to be an exaggerated version of what happens in korea societaly (allegedly) according to the koreans i've gotten to speak with and what i've seen about korea it seems to be on point, it a critic of korean society, the author himself is a handsome guy who used to do modeling before making this manwha, I suppose something like the harsh world of modeling inspired the author to write/draw something like this.

It might come across as incel bait, but for what i've heard this happens, there was even a case recently of a pop singer i think that got their career ended thanks to the hard bulling they did in highschool surfacing. So the rapper plotline I don't see it as an impossible either.
Dec 16, 2022 4:30 AM

Apr 2012
So, according to the OP, if you're being discriminated against and harassed because of social failure and you think it's unfair, then you're incel. OP, are you sure you're not the one being toxic and arrogant here?
Dec 16, 2022 5:11 AM
Jan 2022
HanBoitheLamb said:
Graceofmonaco said:

sorry i should have re worded that. bullying is bad everywhere of course but the way korean society works combined with the fact that bullying isn't seen as a problem leads to one of the highest places of suicide among teens

Woow I didn’t know that. That’s horrible!
Dec 16, 2022 9:32 AM
Oct 2019
RobertBobert said:
So, according to the OP, if you're being discriminated against and harassed because of social failure and you think it's unfair, then you're incel. OP, are you sure you're not the one being toxic and arrogant here?
Are you remedial? What you said is so disingenuous. That is not my position at all. Ugly people absolutely get discriminated against and if someone said that, I wouldn't call them an incel. Its when people have the perception that being ugly makes you unironically lesser than human. All ugly people do is get beat up, spit on, called pig, all the other insane stuff CONSTANTLY like on an everyday basis. When you think being ugly is sole defining factor about you and nothing NOTHING is good about your life. If that's your perception of ugly people, then I would absolutely call you an incel because its just not true.
Dec 16, 2022 9:38 AM

Apr 2012
Adayauu said:
RobertBobert said:
Are you remedial? What you said is so disingenuous. That is not my position at all. Ugly people absolutely get discriminated against and if someone said that, I wouldn't call them an incel. Its when people have the perception that being ugly makes you unironically lesser than human. All ugly people do is get beat up, spit on, called pig, all the other insane stuff CONSTANTLY like on an everyday basis. When you think being ugly is sole defining factor about you and nothing NOTHING is good about your life. If that's your perception of ugly people, then I would absolutely call you an incel because its just not true.

Lol, you immediately got personal in the first sentence. Well, you're literally implying that complaining about being discriminated and judged because of the social failure and your lack of beauty makes you incel, because being incel is about pointing out to people that you're being discriminated against because of those things. Is not it so? And I'm sorry, but by continuing to throw labels at those who disagree with you, you only confirm my words above.
Dec 16, 2022 9:50 AM
Oct 2019
RobertBobert said:
Adayauu said:

Lol, you immediately got personal in the first sentence. Well, you're literally implying that complaining about being discriminated and judged because of the social failure and your lack of beauty makes you incel, because being incel is about pointing out to people that you're being discriminated against because of those things. Is not it so? And I'm sorry, but by continuing to throw labels at those who disagree with you, you only confirm my words above.
Thank you for answering my initial question because you can't seem to grapple with what im saying. I don't see how you could take away from what I said as just "complaining". To be fair, it could not be incel people. Maybe black pilled people. I'm not really in those communities so I don't know the difference.
Dec 16, 2022 10:00 AM

Oct 2017
Graceofmonaco said:
i can tell you that bullying is bad everywhere. I had a student trying to set another student on fire “as a joke”.
That's not bullying chief, that's a pyromaniac.
Dec 16, 2022 10:45 AM

Apr 2012
Adayauu said:
RobertBobert said:

Thank you for answering my initial question because you can't seem to grapple with what im saying. I don't see how you could take away from what I said as just "complaining". To be fair, it could not be incel people. Maybe black pilled people. I'm not really in those communities so I don't know the difference.

Incels are "militant virgins" who non-ironically believe that women are to blame for not finding them attractive and therefore not giving them sex. As far as I can see, the show is blaming people in general for not treating losers or unattractive people as people. There is no link to gender or relationships.
Dec 22, 2022 10:28 AM

Nov 2012
spend 5 minutes researching/googling bullying in korea if you're gonna claim it's exaggerated/unrealistic.
Love it when people wear their ignorance with pride. Can't expect much else I guess from people with zero media literacy.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Dec 22, 2022 9:37 PM
Apr 2009
Adayauu said:

The strange thing is that I actually agree with most of what you're saying. The show is patently ridiculous, albeit nothing you can't stomach if you've seen anime that deal with bullying more seriously. Crazy as it sounds, I'd call this a "feel good" show, as long as you fall within a certain demographic of people who can relate to the bullied characters. I can't, so I didn't like it. 

What I take serious umbrage with is your use of the terms "incel" and "propaganda." Speaking from personal experience, I find that only the most physically hideous people, or else the people with the ugliest minds, ever use the term "incel" unironically. It's a nasty word intended to bully people. Further, it has been overused so much... Like certain other, once-meaningful terms, "incel" has truly lost all meaning at this point. I don't think you know what an "incel" is (or propaganda, for that mater,) and I think that you probably are one because you use it so freely.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gaiken Shijou Shugi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

teddgod - Dec 8, 2022

94 by ST63LTH »»
Apr 30, 1:30 AM

Poll: » Gaiken Shijou Shugi Episode 7 Discussion

teddgod - Dec 8, 2022

8 by ST63LTH »»
Apr 30, 1:19 AM

Poll: » Gaiken Shijou Shugi Episode 6 Discussion

teddgod - Dec 8, 2022

11 by ST63LTH »»
Apr 30, 12:50 AM

Poll: » Gaiken Shijou Shugi Episode 5 Discussion

teddgod - Dec 8, 2022

14 by ST63LTH »»
Apr 30, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Gaiken Shijou Shugi Episode 4 Discussion

teddgod - Dec 8, 2022

13 by ST63LTH »»
Apr 30, 12:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.