Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 9, 2022 6:31 AM

Jul 2017
Recommendation is, for a first time viewing, to watch the series in Chronological Order. If you watch it in Broadcast Order (S1E1, S1E2, S1E3...) you will get super confused, since important events happened that you are completely unaware of from episodes that were broadcast later. For instance, S1E4 actually comes way after S1E3/5/10, and you need to watch those episodes first in order to get references that characters, especially Kyon, make that allude to events that happened throughout them (3/5/10).

Luckily, Season 2 is mostly in Chronological Order anyway, so that eliminates some of the confusion; however, the series chronologically ends with four Season 1 episodes, which is unexpected.

————————————————————————————————————————

Chronologic Order:

ARC 1 (涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱)

• Season 1 Episode 2 ---------------------- "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1"
  • """""""""" Episode 3 ---------------------- "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2"
  • """""""""" Episode 5 ---------------------- "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3"
  • """""""""" Episode 10 --------------------- "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4"
  • """""""""" Episode 13 --------------------- "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5"
  • """""""""" Episode 14 --------------------- "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6"
  • """""""""" Episode 4 ----------------------- "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya" (涼宮ハルヒの退屈)

ASIDE (笹の葉ラプソディ)
  • Season 2 Episode 1 --------------------- "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody"

ASIDE (ミステリックサイン)
  • Season 1 Episode 7 ---------------------- "Mystérique Sign"

ARC 2 (孤島症候群)

• """""""""" Episode 6 ---------------------- "Remote Island Syndrome Part 1"
  • """""""""" Episode 8 ---------------------- "Remote Island Syndrome Part 2"

ARC 3 (エンドレスエイト)

• Season 2 Episode 2 ---------------------- "Endless Eight I"
  • """""""""" Episode 3 ---------------------- "Endless Eight II"
  • """""""""" Episode 4 ---------------------- "Endless Eight III"
  • """""""""" Episode 5 ---------------------- "Endless Eight IV"
  • """""""""" Episode 6 ---------------------- "Endless Eight V"
  • """""""""" Episode 7 ---------------------- "Endless Eight VI"
  • """""""""" Episode 8 ---------------------- "Endless Eight VII"
  • """""""""" Episode 9 ---------------------- "Endless Eight VIII"

ARC 4 (涼宮ハルヒの溜息)

• """""""""" Episode 10 --------------------- "The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1"
  • """""""""" Episode 11 --------------------- "The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2"
  • """""""""" Episode 12 --------------------- "The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3"
  • """""""""" Episode 13 --------------------- "The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4"
  • """""""""" Episode 14 --------------------- "The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5"

POST-PRDODUCTION OF THE SIGH OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA / CULTURE FESTIVAL

• Season 1 Episode 1 ----------------------- "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00"
  • """""""""" Episode 12 ---------------------- "Live Alive" (ライブアライブ)
  • """""""""" Episode 11 ---------------------- "The Day of Sagittarius" (射手座の日)
  • """""""""" Episode 9 ----------------------- "Someday in the Rain" (サムデイ イン ザ レイン)

If you watch this on Crunchyroll, they already have reordered the episodes for a chronologic experience. (Ignore the numbering system that they use for the episodes though; it's wrong and it'll only possibly confuse you.)

The same can be said about Funimation:

However, if you're using other streaming, then the default order might be by Broadcast date. Something to stay aware. Other than that, it should be relatively easy to watch it in this order now.
FluffyFlareonDec 9, 2022 7:27 AM
Dec 9, 2022 7:20 AM

Sep 2018
Some people might prefer the chronological order, but don't be so sure that it's objectively better. s1 was rated 8.8 when the broadcast order was the only official way, then s2 introduced the chronological order and now s1 is sitting at 7.8 (a much bigger decline than other anime from that period like Bleach and Elfen Lied).
Dec 9, 2022 7:38 AM

Jul 2017
Nirinbo said:
Some people might prefer the chronological order, but don't be so sure that it's objectively better. s1 was rated 8.8 when the broadcast order was the only official way, then s2 introduced the chronological order and now s1 is sitting at 7.8 (a much bigger decline than other anime from that period like Bleach and Elfen Lied).

Oh, my point was completely different from saying this is objectively better than any other order from an artistic stand point or something.

The point is that it's helpful for a 1st-time viewer. Hence the title. I don't really care about how the score devolved or whatever. This was about providing a sensical accessible watch order in a post that can't be missed by anyone confused and wanting to find quick and accessible help and so that anyone planning on watching it only once will fully comprehend the plot.

Hope that clarifies everything. Now no one needs to find the 18th comment on another post from 3 years ago to understand the Chronologic watch Order.
Dec 9, 2022 8:48 AM

Sep 2018
FluffyFlareon said:
The point is that it's helpful for a 1st-time viewer.

I agree that knowing the chronological order is helpful for a first time viewer, even if they are going to follow the broadcast order.

FluffyFlareon said:
Now no one needs to find the 18th comment on another post from 3 years ago to understand the Chronologic watch Order.

If someone isn't even able to google "haruhi chronological order", I'm not surprised they found Haruhi confusing.
Dec 9, 2022 9:02 AM
Oct 2020
the episode titles on some places are entirely wrong and it's very annoying
Dec 9, 2022 9:10 AM
Jan 2014
Isn't this because "season 2" isn't actually a season 2, it's a remake with additional episodes? That's why following broadcast order isn't correct, the only intended way is how it was broadcast in the 2009 version which is how Crunchyroll has it ordered.

The Magi: Sinbad prequel was the same way, it was first aired as a 4 episode series then later re-aired with 8 additional episodes mixed it but it wasn't never intended to be a first season/second season kind of deal. I think people just overcomplicate it for that reason.
Dec 9, 2022 9:43 AM
Feb 2015
if anything you should do the opposite. broadcast order first viewing since that's what the creators intended. then chronological order if you're SOMEHOW confused but liked the show enough to watch it again
Dec 10, 2022 3:59 AM
May 2021
oh shit the endless 8 arc is gonna be a nightmare for people to watch. also watch it in broadcast order.
Dec 10, 2022 4:43 PM
Jan 2021
wish I would've seen this before watching it because there was times where I was super confused and thinking like "havent I already seen this?" or "what the hell are they talking about I've never seen that"
Jul 8, 2023 4:11 AM

Jul 2021
super helpful. this is what i was looking for. thank you.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 9, 2023 2:52 AM
Aug 2020
Yeah, watch in chronological order and watch the season finale at episode six, making the rest of the episodes feeling like a filler now that the big reveal and climax is out of the bag.

Absolutely abhorrent idea, watching it in broadcast order is a must on first watch, the experience is so much better. If you get too confused by watching in broadcast order and cant keep up maybe its not for you, or just try chronological then.
Jul 30, 2023 8:34 AM
Sep 2019
What I wonder is, was there a reason for the broadcast order to exist? Why were the episodes aired in a different order than chronological? If there was a logical reason, I daresay that that is the way the anime was supposed to be experienced?

Also, the streaming service where I found this series lists 28 episodes, I assume they put together season 1 and 2, anyone could confirm this? Very appreciated!
Aug 20, 2023 8:11 AM

May 2015
You only get a single chance to try out the original broadcast experience, since a rewatch will lack the mystery aspect of it. Not to mention that the pacing is infamously awful in chronological order.
Aug 28, 2023 7:01 AM

Feb 2016
Tenshi_Budo said:
Yeah, watch in chronological order and watch the season finale at episode six, making the rest of the episodes feeling like a filler now that the big reveal and climax is out of the bag.
Those episodes feel even more like filler when watched in the broadcast order, which is not the order the books were written. Haruhi Suzumiya is not a series for anyone expecting a grand, overarching storyline.
その目だれの目?
Aug 31, 2023 12:29 PM
Aug 2020
Lucifrost said:
Tenshi_Budo said:
Those episodes feel even more like filler when watched in the broadcast order, which is not the order the books were written. Haruhi Suzumiya is not a series for anyone expecting a grand, overarching storyline.

I disagree that those episodes feel more like a filler in broadcast order, because like I said before the big reveal of the season changes everything and having it in the middle is weak at best. But thats just my opinion.

The books were written/released in another order? Which one, chronological or yet another? Well that changes everything, if its the case then the author's vision is what really matters, ill look up into that, thanks.
Aug 31, 2023 12:48 PM

Feb 2016
Tenshi_Budo said:
The books were written/released in another order? Which one, chronological or yet another? Well that changes everything, if its the case then the author's vision is what really matters, ill look up into that, thanks.

The order of the books can be found on Wikipedia. It's not exactly chronological, but it's more straightforward than the 2006 broadcast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_light_novels

I also must ask how your endorsement of the broadcast order fits with season 2? It was broadcast after the big reveals of season 1 and is not as exciting.
その目だれの目?
Aug 31, 2023 2:33 PM
Aug 2020
Lucifrost said:

The order of the books can be found on Wikipedia. It's not exactly chronological, but it's more straightforward than the 2006 broadcast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_light_novels

I also must ask how your endorsement of the broadcast order fits with season 2? It was broadcast after the big reveals of season 1 and is not as exciting.

Just skip the repeated episodes on season two. Besides I was referring to new watchers, which mean they would go for season 1 first, which I believe to be better experienced through broadcast order. Season 2 I would just skip repeated episodes but still follow broadcast.

Thats an interesting list for the light novel, I'll rewatch in that order and see whats best.
Aug 31, 2023 2:46 PM

Feb 2016
Tenshi_Budo said:
Just skip the repeated episodes on season two. Besides I was referring to new watchers, which mean they would go for season 1 first, which I believe to be better experienced through broadcast order. Season 2 I would just skip repeated episodes but still follow broadcast.
But then wouldn't season 2 feel like filler after the season 1 climax? My point is that if you think the majority of season 1 is uninteresting in chronological order, then season 2 would also be uninteresting.
その目だれの目?

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.