Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 1, 2023 11:13 AM

Oct 2009
This was great! =D
I loved the anime series and glad they did this movie. Maybe there was not much time dedicated to other characters, even the ones I personally like the most, but this still is great.
Sep 3, 2023 7:13 AM
Oct 2020
Watched this in cinemas today. Never read or watched slam dunk but it was fucking awesome. I need to read it at some point
Sep 3, 2023 2:42 PM

Feb 2012
They couldn't have picked a better animation medium really for this art style, in my opinion. Watching it in the cinema with that sound design really completes the experience.

I haven't finished the first anime adaptation, so I was quite surprised that the main plot line was focused on Ryota and his background.
Fortress_MaximusSep 3, 2023 3:06 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 6, 10:12 PM

Apr 2022
good to see slam dunk back, but i prefer pretty much everything in the 90s version over this apart from the animation i guess. cgi wasn't amazing like lupin III: the first but it was still good. doesn't even begin to compare to the 90s aesthetic and voice acting though, especially sakuragi's voice damn i missed that a lot. been a while since i read the manga so i don't remember much from the ending but wow my guy miyagi as the mc. also reanimated a bunch of stuff. 90s anime is a 9/10 for me but this'll be a 7/10, good movie and i'm glad toei remembered about this lmao but definitely could've been better.
Mar 11, 3:49 PM

Aug 2014
Phenomenal. Really lovely movie despite the subtitles being a bit off.
Mitsui really the MVP
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Mar 11, 3:52 PM

Aug 2014
Kinda curious if we will get more movies. Doubt it but that universe is amazing ma shaa allah
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Mar 12, 6:40 PM

Jan 2010
it was a great movie, of course I got my little complains but overall... great. 9/10.
Mar 19, 5:46 PM

Nov 2019
I guess I'm the odd one here; I gave it a score of 6/10. I'm totally conflicted after watching the movie. You could say I'm totally biased since I grew up religiously watching the 90s adaptation and I read the manga during the pandemic. The match between Shohoku and Sannoh felt lifeless. The voice acting isn't that bad, but it didn't have the same intensity as the 90s adaptation. Yeah, I know it's Miyagi's POV, but damn, remember that scene between Haruko and Hanamichi where he confesses his love for basketball? I waited and waited for that scene to happen, but it didn't happen. Probably Takehiko Inoue decided to omit it from the story since it'll never have the same impact due to the fact that it focuses on Miyagi's backstory. I still somewhat enjoy the movie, and I hope it'll have a proper TV remake so they can focus on the tournament.
KushnaMar 19, 5:51 PM
Mar 21, 4:35 AM

Feb 2013
Does anyone know why the seiyuus didn't participate in the film if they're alive? lol
Mar 21, 6:43 PM

Apr 2010
Epilogue was stupid. Never cared a bit about the small guy's story.
Weirdly enough, he was the main character of the movie and not Sakuragi.. odd choice. 6.5/10 for me
Mar 25, 9:36 AM

Apr 2015
Damn this was one of the best movies ever, Really enjoyed Miyagi's perspective on it all but I kinda wish it was more about Sakuragi but since it's by the author himself so I guess this is canon too. It fulfilled all the hype and nailed the scenes I was expecting.
Very very nice 3DCG tbvh, Thank you Toei!
Mar 29, 12:11 AM
Jan 2013
Just watched it and after finishing it I think it's a excellent movie, but if you're a manga reader you're probably just not gonna enjoy it as a person who's never watched/read slam dunk. Which doesn't sit well with me, while I think the movie is really good (The ending sequence alone is just crazy). It's really hard to get invested into the characters in just 2 hours when the main focus is on Miyagi. Don't get me wrong it's really good which is why if you never read/watched Slam dunk you'll be satisfied, but it really just falls apart for the rest of the cast. Also, the epilogue is really my main gripe with the movie. Like it's cool that Miyagi is now playing college basketball in America, but what about Sakuragi back pain which was highlight of the 2nd part of the movie? THE AUDIENCE DOESNT KNOW IF HE EVER RECOVERED FROM A CAREER ENDING INJURY, LIKE CMON DIRECTOR WHAT ARE WE DOING?!?!?!? As a manga reader, I was fucking livid. I would have honestly preferred if they just cut out the America college basketball scene, and had closure for the rest of Shohoku. Yes, it's a Miyagi focused movie, but there are 4 other players on that court we got invested in don't just leave them out to dry like that man.

Still gonna give it a 9/10 cause even with it's fault it's hard to mess up slam dunk, but honestly just watch the anime/manga first because while the movie does give it justice. It's hard to cram in the best sports manga of all time in just 2 hours...
Apr 3, 10:00 PM
Nov 2018
I only got into Slam Dunk this year, read the entire manga and loved it. Reignited my interest in basketball again after I lost interest these past couple of years. I tried watching the anime afterwards, but couldn't get into it. I was surprised that the anime didn't cover Sannoh, so was looking forward to seeing one of the coolest matches in the series finally animated with modern graphics.

I was shocked that this movie is Ryota focused, but I dig it. He felt super underutilized in the manga, and now he got a whole ass backstory which works for me.

CGI didn't bother me despite me noticing it, and the actual basketball plays looks super clean and flows nicely.

Overall, I'm cool with changes they did in order to fit this arc into one movie. Some omission I was kinda bummed, like Sakuragi figuring out Mikio can only do one move and destroying him (though they gave crumbs of that towards the end). Some parts that I didn't like in this arc were thankfully cut, like Masashi being a dick towards his brother. Despite the changes, they at least got the main points down, and boy I was grinning from start to finish feeling like a kid again. Glad I got to watch this and hoping for more Slam Dunk content in the future.
Apr 5, 5:21 AM
Jan 2019
I finally got to see the movie. It was fire but i dont like how they didnt show us what happened to shohoku after the match like in the manga
Apr 11, 9:10 PM

Jul 2013
Never cared much for Miyagi honestly, I didn't even know he had an older brother who died or maybe I just don't remember. It's been what? 2 decades? since I've last seen the anime and he's been made the main character of this movie, if it was Sakuragi, it would've been less sad and dramatic and more comedy which is what I mostly love Slam Dunk for. Granted, that idiot was only in it initially to impress his crush and the other main character are more passionate with basketball but still. He was OG MC for a reason.

That said, Sakuragi made the winning shot! A buzzer-beater jumpshot that was passed to him by Rukawa! Oh man, my childhood right fucking here. I may have issues with Miyagi as the main perspective, but the visuals, that winning shot, and most importantly, the nostalgia. It was still great overall. I fucking love Slam Dunk!

Apr 23, 10:49 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
If you watched Slam Dunk anime, the film loved you!
If you don´t watched it, you will like how minimum!!!

The Miyagi tragic past, he lost a father and a brother in his childhood, was the conductive thread in one of the most amazing basketball matchs, against Sannoh, favourites to win!....all the characters showed their cool points, titular team, with a Hanamichi how the star to me, always Hanamichi, sorry but he was and is unrepeatable!!

The last sequence, when both rivals ended in universities teams, was cool too....

8/10 to me

kekeke
May 7, 8:09 AM

Nov 2018
I've been waiting to watch this film for a while now. They really did the final arc justice, even adding in new original scenes (though it's been years since I've read the manga).

The CG was really good, I saw no issue with it throughout the film.

I wish we had a remake of the original series with the modern animation and artwork.

9/10

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
May 10, 1:10 AM
Nov 2023
i give this anime rating on 9/10 because Visual,Plot and character development is good.
Yesterday, 4:49 AM

Dec 2015
The best movie in 2022
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you think more anime should be directed by the mangaka?

APolygons2 - May 8

6 by Otaku_4511 »»
May 10, 5:21 AM

» Is this a sequel?

Andrevenus01 - May 3

6 by Otaku_4511 »»
May 4, 1:51 PM

» Blu-Ray when?

HusaynTV - Aug 14, 2023

9 by leftjoycon »»
Apr 2, 9:56 PM

» 『THE FIRST SLAM DUNK』Movie Blu-ray/DVD LIMITED EDITION + Standard Edition sold 234,764 copies in its first week

deg - Mar 5

5 by Otaku_4511 »»
Mar 14, 8:48 AM

» Never watched slam dunk

SakataGintoki420 - Jun 18, 2023

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 28, 2023 7:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.