Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 29, 2022 8:41 AM

Jan 2009

just clickbaitin guise, dont mind me

There's a recent "forced meme" type of post that has been surfacing everywhere lately, to the point that it is currently impossible to look for the word "Kuudere" without stumbling upon this image, half of the time coming from this guy Sametarou or something, advertising a tsundere manga heroine using the term kuudere as a presentation card in the title, if anything the fact that this is 2022 and you can just tsurititle with "Kuudere" speaks volumes about Kuudere as a concept.

And I'm one to usually take the high road on these, as it's not the first, and certainly won't be the last time we get someone trying to tap into the popularity of random buzzwords on the internet to advertise something, I feel it's their right to decide whether this stratagem is a viable option for a prospective marketing endeavour, especially in these times, when it's all about sales and nothing else, but hey see what good that does to your IP, just saying it's probably not the best move in the long term from a business standpoint.

I haven't -- and nor do I plan to -- read this; "Kuudere .. nanchara .. guigui" thing, but to me it's fairly obvious just looking at the body language, and the fact the cover art is mostly composed of a full body shot of the heroine showcasing boobs or thighs, that this is just a cash grab being forced meme'd into the mainstream venue.

Nothing serious here folks, we had this problem with another blue haired girl from .. that-one-anime-that-is-supposed-to-be-about-shogi-but-it's-actually-just-loli-fodder .. before.

Now, onto the "Death of the Kuudere" topic, this is something that has been floating around for a while now, this being understood as the consummation and exhaustion of the term leading towards "死語" or obsolescence, which is a matter of cognition and other dynamic concepts pertaining the impermanent nature of language and culture, and "Kuudere" as a term, is not exempt of these principles, as the term itself came into existence by echoing a series of patterns that are constantly reproduced and rehashed by many authors in different settings with little to no variation.

Which is different from the character itself, a character which is "given" a personality based on psychometric variants, deliberately, and this is a difficult subject, in part because I believe a lot of people tend to mistake "character" and "personality", so much that some people out there believe themselves to be "Kuudere" -- I know, utter nonsense -- and that is the projected misconception. Now let's define "character" as a set of characteristics, physical or otherwise, that exist solely in fiction, the combination of which are preset and static, and I don't believe I need to explain why it is not possible to reduce a multidimensional human being into something as simple and limiting like a "character" because human beings surpass in complexity the aspects and properties that outline "character" as a concept, one needs to consider first that a character is made up of traits that must be given to them because it is necessary for them to have them, it is relevant to the author's intent that a character exhibits said trait, be it personality, or behaviour-wise.

But let's take KyoAni's girls as an example; in some of KyoAni's works, you'll notice that some characters have "Kuudere" traits, and this is standard practice, but they have something beyond that, they have characterization that allows them to "exceed" the intrinsic limitations of their "Kuudere" persona, and as such, they will cease to be one, at any given time, I like to call these characters .. "complex characters" .. as they can't possibly conform to the outline, there's a persona, which is the imprinted image they leave on others, spectators, other characters, but beyond the persona, there's a set of intrapersonal plotlines that take place within the same character, and these changes are foreign to any interaction said character might have with others storywise -- viewers included -- this is the character interacting with itself (something which, is rarely allowed to happen in fiction, unless you're talking about Evangelion or something like that).

All this means that the character can survive without the term, as they are not fundamentally the same, so even if Kuudere as term were to disappear, the template that is used to create the character will not, because even if the term was born from repetition and echoing, the character was born from an unknown source, many different authors composed -- in the most spontaneous fashion -- different iterations of female characters that more or less shared the same characteristics, some of them not knowing the one that came before or even attempting to create anything with preconceived ideas, and the term just happened to be sitting there to conveniently absorb all of these characters unto itself and define them.

This is all part of the underlying works of human conscience, and one doesn't just walk up to it and tell it to change its mind, because it doesn't change for anyone's convenience, it just does, when the time is right, and believe me when I tell you that "reality surpasses fiction".
DrMondaiNashiNov 29, 2022 2:48 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Kuudere, dandere, introverted and logical female love stories romance

kiwi0fruit - Sep 4, 2020

12 by kiwi0fruit »»
Apr 17, 12:11 AM

Poll: » Are robot waifus acceptable in this club?

Lennuh - Sep 12, 2023

3 by DrMondaiNashi »»
Sep 17, 2023 8:21 AM

» The Neglected Group: Dandere

DrMondaiNashi - Jan 13, 2018

12 by DrMondaiNashi »»
May 31, 2022 6:02 PM

» Who are your favorite kuudere or dandere character(s)? ( 1 2 3 4 )

EtherSword - Mar 22, 2009

164 by Spicelit »»
May 15, 2021 10:43 PM

» New character suggestions

mvhcmaniac - May 18, 2020

12 by DrMondaiNashi »»
May 28, 2020 1:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.