Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
May 25, 2023 9:22 AM
Apr 2020
boring af brough on god fam aint lying cuh
Jun 4, 2023 3:09 AM
Apr 2022
Gntkng Gnt kng gnt kng
Jun 19, 2023 8:24 AM
Aug 2020
A movie that's was way a head of time and the fact that the Animation still holdsup to this day is amazing
Jun 20, 2023 12:32 AM

Oct 2021
so i see people here crying this movie sucks ass and boring but when i see their favorites then again they are pretty generic.. imo this movie is excellent!! the way it tries to represents the interesting ideas, different scenario and present them on screen which isn't easy considering this movie is of 1980's time. i think characters and plot could have been much more complex but it is what it is. overall pretty close to being masterpiece. 9/10
Aug 1, 2023 8:12 PM
Apr 2019
very drugged, i liked.
Aug 8, 2023 10:38 AM
Aug 2021
It's definitely a must watch, but it's not a movie I would come back to often.
Sep 6, 2023 11:24 AM

Jul 2016
Lol, did the author have something against Tetsuo's girl or what? Poor girl's screen-time only consisted in having her getting beaten, sexually assaulted and killed off in the most grotesque way possible.

Anyways, pretty good movie overall. A visual masterpiece without a doubt but it's also true that it has its flaws in the writing department such as Kei's character being reduced to a mere love interest for Kaneda and the origin of Tetsuo's powers being poorly explained.
But that said, story was so engaging, visuals so stunning and OST so immersive that one can easily overlook those aspects and some others while watching such impressive piece of media.

8/10
Sep 6, 2023 6:38 PM
Jun 2023
terrible dialogue. characters decison making made no sense and they were so corny.
Sep 30, 2023 7:44 PM

Mar 2022
Akira, one of the biggest anime movies of our time and one of the first anime movies I ever saw as a teenager and probably one of the first non Ghibli films for me. This is a film where it’s glory, violent and has a lot of body horror in it, amazing soundtrack and beautiful looking visuals. It was just so fast paced from start to finish, the dystopian future setting is so vibrant and appropriately desolate for what they were going for at the time. Kaneda, Tetsuo and the rest of the cast were fantastic as well.

Though that being said, it can be confusing for somebody who hasn’t seen it before especially towards the end and it is a film that will probably need a couple of rewatches to understand what’s going on but given the fact that I haven’t seen this when I was either 14 or 15, I actually did well on that front.

It’s once again beautiful visually speaking, pretty much wasn’t a film like it back then and I can see why it made it’s mark on the western world. And for that, it gets a 9/10 from me.
Oct 8, 2023 8:30 PM
Dec 2021
the lack of a great soundtrack really hurt Akira. The action scenes were left with either no music or not a great soundtrack making this movie not very memorable.

Compare this to Perfect Blue and you see how they should've made Akira.
Oct 11, 2023 6:43 AM

Jun 2011
The plot made no sense. I had to read supplementary info to understand what happened at the end. Dull and boring characters with 0 personality. The only thing that saves it is the atmosphere and animation.

Overall 8/10 for the 80s cyberpunk, animation and historical impact.
Nov 28, 2023 10:57 AM
Dec 2020
Animation was one of the best i have seen. And the story felt like LSD
Dec 14, 2023 9:29 PM

Aug 2019
I really did not like this movie lol I can't help but feel like it might be just slightly overhyped. The plot just felt like a mess, and while the animation is pretty cool at times, I'm not really a fan of it. I know it was pretty big back when it came out since it would've been really new and unlike anything out at the time, but I really just didn't like this. By the end I just wanted the movie to end already :(
Dec 29, 2023 1:23 AM

May 2020
Well that was a movie. Honestly, if I hadn't read the manga first, I definitely wouldn't have liked this movie at all. I mean the manga isn't even that good and for the first hour and a half of this movie, I actually thought it was better than the manga. The ending wasn't too bad but honestly, this series gets so much hype and love you'd think there'd be more to it than just fluid animation and a cool setting.
Jan 26, 8:41 PM
Jun 2023
Overdosed. Must watch.
Mar 25, 7:21 PM
Sep 2019
need to rewatch, only because I can't figure out what I think of it D:
Apr 25, 8:32 AM
Jul 2020
Best cyberpunk movie ever!
May 5, 2:20 AM
Jan 2022
Reply to Friendlysoul
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
OK, so i just saw Akira on a tape player :P After many recommendations, and although its old-school type i liked it... (Dubbed, but hey i still saw it...)
It was gruesome at parts, action-y at others, and it had a really well thought out plot!

My question now is what do you think happened at the end? What happened with Akira, he was a boy which was brought back to life by the three kiddies, right?!?!?
The ending still baffles me, it looked like they went to another place, wherever that may be!
@Friendlysoul The manga continue after the ending if you whant to read it, it more complex and more information, I just finish whatching it so im gona go read it.
May 5, 8:57 PM
Jan 2021
It was great. A must watch.
May 11, 7:37 AM
Sep 2022
it was great, very lively
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Akira is not cyberpunk, it's just a paranormal genre ( 1 2 )

TheRedComment - Jan 22

51 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 27, 5:11 AM

» Ending interpretation

Fukoku - Apr 13

0 by Fukoku »»
Apr 13, 11:25 AM

» Tropes created in Akira

curvedtree - Dec 22, 2023

4 by -DxP- »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:55 AM

» Am i the only one who think that akira is a bad movie? ( 1 2 )

Harley3579 - May 14, 2019

59 by peterross »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:36 PM

» New anime has been cancelled?

RobertBobert - Sep 30, 2023

5 by Vaval »»
Oct 6, 2023 11:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.