Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 7, 2022 11:22 AM
Apr 2022
Is Cowboy Bebop classified as a Shonen or a Seinen?
Nov 7, 2022 11:24 AM

Nov 2021
None. It’s a original work you lad, at least check the page before creating thread.

Its manga is classified as shoujo tho.
nishant0Nov 7, 2022 11:29 AM
Nov 7, 2022 11:31 AM

Mar 2021
Shoujo. (15 char. limit)
Nov 7, 2022 11:46 AM
Oct 2020
nishant0 said:
None. It’s a original work you lad, at least check the page before creating thread.

What does it being an original work have to do with this you lad?
Nov 7, 2022 11:55 AM

Oct 2021
SubSoma said:
nishant0 said:

A shonen is something originally published in a shonen magazine and a seinen is published in a seinen magazine. Being an anime original means it can't be a shonen or a seinen
Nov 7, 2022 11:56 AM
Feb 2021
I don't think CB was either published in either a shonen or seinen publication, so it'd be neither.
Nov 7, 2022 11:59 AM
Oct 2020
Exeze said:
SubSoma said:

A shonen is something originally published in a shonen magazine and a seinen is published in a seinen magazine. Being an anime original means it can't be a shonen or a seinen
No it's the demographic the show or book tries to appeal to. Which is why these categories are listed in "demographics". Being published or not, there is still a target audience.
Nov 7, 2022 12:33 PM
Feb 2020
SubSoma said:
Exeze said:

No it's the demographic the show or book tries to appeal to. Which is why these categories are listed in "demographics". Being published or not, there is still a target audience.

The target audience was Gundam Fans, or Newtypes, which is the magazine most mecha works are published in, thus making the audinece Newtypes. neither shonen nor Seinen.

if anything its Cyberpunk. Shonen and Seinen are not real demographics. Manga are both Shonen AND seinen and have zwapped between magazines. JoJo being the mpst notable but there are many like Ninku even within Jumps lineup.
Nov 7, 2022 12:34 PM

Nov 2019
SubSoma said:
Exeze said:

I believe in such case, Cowboy Bepop is rated R-17, thus its audiences are the more matured ones, and not only male.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Nov 7, 2022 1:37 PM
Aug 2021
It doesn’t fall into one of those categories as an anime original.

It’s manga is Shoujo (it was published in a magazine aimed towards a young female audience 8-20 y/o ish)

If you’re after demographic it fills either however comparing it to other shows of the same era it’s definitely leaning towards being a Seinen
Nov 7, 2022 1:40 PM
Aug 2021
Chilli_ said:

It’s manga is Shoujo (it was published in a magazine aimed towards a young female audience 8-20 y/o ish)

If you’re after demographic it fills either however comparing it to other shows of the same era it’s definitely leaning towards being a Seinen

I partly take back what I said about it being comparable to a Seinen.

A very similar series is “Trigun” which is actually a Shonen, I thought it was Seinen.
Nov 7, 2022 1:54 PM
Mar 2021
SubSoma said:
nishant0 said:

Smartest anime fan 🗿🗿🗿
Nov 7, 2022 6:21 PM
Jul 2020
SubSoma said:
Exeze said:

Of course it still has a target audience, but that isn’t limited to just labels like shonen and seinen. Manga are divided into those strict categories because they have to be published in a particular magazine, and because there are so many magazines they each need to have a strong, defined identity and target demographic in order to sell. For the most part, the only people buying a manga magazine are the specific people the magazine is targeted at, but anyone can happen across a show airing on TV, so original anime don’t need to limit themselves with demographic labels.
Nov 7, 2022 7:01 PM

Feb 2021
It's most possibly aimed towards a young girl audience. The manga is classified as a shoujo.
Nov 7, 2022 9:09 PM

Nov 2021
SubSoma said:
nishant0 said:

It’s means it can’t be classified in shounen or seinen, these are the demographics that are related to only those anime whose source material is manga.
Nov 7, 2022 10:19 PM
Jan 2021
Chilli_ said:
Chilli_ said:

I partly take back what I said about it being comparable to a Seinen.

A very similar series is “Trigun” which is actually a Shonen, I thought it was Seinen.

Trigun's first 3 volumes were in weakly shonen magazine and the continuation Trigun maxsimum was published in Young King OURs a seinien magazine.
Nov 8, 2022 12:16 AM
Nov 2021
SF end of the story
Nov 8, 2022 1:15 AM

Jun 2016
Cowboy Bebop is classified as a Japanese neo-noir science fiction anime television series which originally ran from 1998–1999. It was created and animated by Sunrise, led by a production team of director Shinichirō Watanabe, screenwriter Keiko Nobumoto, character designer Toshihiro Kawamoto, mechanical designer Kimitoshi Yamane, and composer Yoko Kanno, who are collectively billed as Hajime Yatate.
The series, which ran for twenty-six episodes (dubbed "sessions"), is set in the year 2071, and follows the lives of a traveling bounty-hunting crew aboard a spaceship, the Bebop. Although it incorporates a wide variety of genres, the series draws most heavily from science fiction, Western, and noir films. Its most prominent themes are existential ennui, loneliness, and the inability to escape one's past.
The series was dubbed into English by Animaze and ZRO Limit Productions, and was originally licensed in North America by Bandai Entertainment (and is now licensed by Crunchyroll) and in Britain by Beez Entertainment (now by Anime Limited); Madman Entertainment owns the license in Australia and New Zealand. In 2001, it became the first anime title to be broadcast on Adult Swim.
Cowboy Bebop was a critical and commercial success both in Japanese and international markets, most notably in the United States. It garnered several major anime and science-fiction awards upon its release, and received unanimous praise for its style, characters, story, voice acting, animation, and soundtrack. The English dub was particularly lauded, and is regarded as one of the best anime dubs. Credited with helping to introduce anime to a new wave of Western viewers in the early 2000s, Cowboy Bebop has also been called a gateway series for anime in general.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 8, 2022 2:17 AM
Jul 2019
SubSoma said:
nishant0 said:

Bcs demographics like shounen or seinen only comes from the magazine that the series was published in. If they're published in a shounen magazine then it is classified as a shounen, same as seinen. You can look up on this site that all original anime doesn't have these demographics
Nov 8, 2022 10:23 AM
Oct 2017
if you want to know what demographic the show most aims for I'd say adult men or 'seinen'. Though (as most have pointed out already) the term doesn't really apply to an original animation but what magazine the publishing company generally targets.

I'd say adult male because it is trying to appeal to 80's mecha fans who were likely adults by the late 90's. But I believe Sunrise told Watanabe that they would fund a show where they could sell cool ships to young boys. Additionally the manga was adapted in a shoujo publication. Beyond that I would say the character dynamics reflect a josei show! Two cool looking guys fighting over a bland woman, Faye and Ed's identity struggle, corgis?!?!?!

In the end I think Cowboy Bebop resonates with a wide demographic of people in different ways. That is purposeful, and likely the reason it has held up as THE anime of the 90's. Other originals of the time like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Revolutionary Girl Utena have just as fervent an audience but were really constrained by their appeal to one demographic over others.
Nov 8, 2022 10:31 AM

Jan 2009
shonen and seinen only matters in anime adaptations while this is an original anime that have a manga adaptation which is shojo
Mar 15, 2023 11:33 AM

Apr 2021
None since this is an original anime

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aaronluis26 - Nov 15, 2008

179 by Yoeshi »»
Yesterday, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KillthisAccount - Jul 22, 2009

115 by Lollipop975 »»
Yesterday, 10:35 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Metty - May 14, 2008

626 by Mirrow »»
May 14, 11:44 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

123 by Shobbrook »»
May 8, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 13, 2008

207 by Shobbrook »»
May 8, 1:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.