Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 4, 2022 7:33 PM
Oct 2020
I watched the trailer, and the CGI does not even look that bad, it resembles the manga's artstyle. I feel like the hate is exaggerated. Some of the movements would be hard to hand-draw. I have a feeling this will be another Dragon Ball: Super Hero case, where the CGI was hated, but turns out good and is now loved.
Nov 5, 2022 12:22 AM
Sep 2022
yeah the cgi looks really fluid as well being quite detailed
Nov 5, 2022 1:53 AM
Aug 2021
I can completely understand why they decided to use CGI for the film because sports are hard to animate , but at the moment I don’t really like how it looks. I’m hoping that I’ll change my mind eventually though…
Nov 5, 2022 2:08 AM
Aug 2018
looks good enough
Nov 5, 2022 3:03 AM
Aug 2022
I'm not exactly sure about the CGI,I would have preferred the previous styles itself.(no hate to cgi just like the OG much more)
Nov 5, 2022 9:52 AM

Feb 2019
It’s not. It’s just when people see cgi in anime they go ape shit regardless of how it looks
Nov 5, 2022 4:38 PM

Sep 2021
It reminds me of the Spider-Man spiderverse film
Nov 5, 2022 6:07 PM

Aug 2019
I thought this thread would be filled with more disagreement but looks like this is where the people who also share the same opinion are flocking to because I was not seeing much of this sentiment in another thread about the CGI in this movie. I'll basically reiterate the same thing I said over there, but it's 50/50 with me. Of course, I'll have to wait until I see the movie to make a confident case about it, but based on what I saw in the new trailer, there are scenes where the CGI looks seamless alongside everything else and then there are other moments where it feels very disjointed. It's not awful at least. Can't say that I prefer this over 2D but it's not like I don't understand why they went with the CGI.
Nov 7, 2022 8:47 AM
Feb 2017
yeah it just you. this cgi is The greatest move in history of anime
Nov 7, 2022 8:49 AM

Jan 2009
ye people just hate the low frame rate or low FPS of it again like most cel-shaded 3DCG anime out there in other words fans want smooth or double the FPS of 3DCG anime
Nov 19, 2022 5:04 AM

Dec 2020
It's not bad but I prefer Production IG's CGI instead of this. This cgi is fluid in this but it's also somewhat janky. Studio production ig knows how to make the movements realistic while using cgi.
Nov 28, 2022 12:37 AM

Nov 2018
I've rewatched all the trailers. Compared to most other CG anime, the CG here is certainly fluid and high quality. Their movements aren't janky or robotic.

It might be the case that the CG is on par with the likes of HnK or Beastars, and we were all too panicky since everyone has anime CG trauma (myself included)

Given that Inoue personally chose to use CG, which would be for the better to keep the quality consistent given he's overseen the entire production of the film, we all need to trust the process. (and it matches the artwork of the latter half of the manga)

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Dec 2, 2022 7:07 PM
Dec 2012
I don't think it's that bad either, my only thing is I'm not the biggest fan of their facial expressions. I feel that it the faces don't show a lot of emotion to them, but these were also just clips so, hopefully, it comes out a little better with a longer time.
Dec 3, 2022 12:32 AM

Jan 2016
I also hated the CGI when they announced it and saw some screenshots, Rukawa doesn't even look like Rukawa in the screenshot that I saw and CGI in anime will always reminds me of the awful Gantz/Berserk and since this is my favorite sports anime, when I found out that it will be in CGI it instantly reminds me of Dear Boys where everyone looks like a Paper Dolls everytime they move. BUT when I saw the trailer it quite good actually the movements looks clean like the shoulder move of Ryota when he crossover, the Jumpshot of Mitsui and the Dunk of Rukawa reminds me of NBA2K and NBA2K have near perfect basketball movements.
Dec 3, 2022 3:36 AM

Feb 2021
Anyway they should done this movie or better make normal TV series instead of this.
Dec 5, 2022 10:52 AM

Sep 2013
RedSon14 said:
...CGI in anime will always reminds me of the awful Gantz/Berserk

I hope you weren't talking about Gantz O because that movie's animation is actually amazing.

Feb 1, 2023 2:59 AM

Jan 2016
No, I'm talking about the Anime with mix of CGI. I think they will need a much bigger budget if they want the Gantz 0 cgi style. I just saw first slam dunk in cinema a while ago and I will say that the CGI was good/clean most of the time but the funny faces that they used to do in old anime looks weird and out of place here since the atmosphere was serious from start to end.
Feb 25, 2023 8:45 AM
Mar 2019
At first, when I watched the trailer, I admit, I went ape shit about why they gonna use CGI on this nostalgic anime. I told myself that I was so so not gonna watch it but I went to my local cinema for the story. I admit again when I watched the movie, I was focused throughout the whole movie without any regrets! For people who think the same as I did, please give it a chance. It's not that bad, to be honest.

More topics from this board

Poll: » The First Slam Dunk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WeAllShineOn - Dec 3, 2022

71 by LightningApe »»
10 hours ago

» Is this a sequel?

Andrevenus01 - May 3

7 by em_doubleyou »»
May 18, 8:55 PM

» Do you think more anime should be directed by the mangaka?

APolygons2 - May 8

6 by Otaku_4511 »»
May 10, 5:21 AM

» Blu-Ray when?

HusaynTV - Aug 14, 2023

9 by leftjoycon »»
Apr 2, 9:56 PM

» 『THE FIRST SLAM DUNK』Movie Blu-ray/DVD LIMITED EDITION + Standard Edition sold 234,764 copies in its first week

deg - Mar 5

5 by Otaku_4511 »»
Mar 14, 8:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.