Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2022 2:04 AM
Nov 2020
I've watched a bunch of trigger anime (cyberpunk, ditf, psg, klk and eva) but this one seemed very bland and wacky compared to the others. Anyone else feels the same?
"I can't trust a website where csm is rated higher than hxh"
- Akira Toriyama

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 23, 2022 2:06 AM

Jan 2009
this is actually the strongest anime directed by Imaishi and Evangelion was directed by Hideaki Anno instead
Oct 23, 2022 2:14 AM

Dec 2020
Kill la kill by a mile for me

๐“ฃ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฏ๐“ช๐“ด๐“ฎ ๐“ฒ๐“ผ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ฐ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ฝ๐“ฎ๐“ป ๐“ฟ๐“ช๐“ต๐“พ๐“ฎ.
๐“˜๐“ท ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ผ ๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ซ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ช๐“ฝ๐“ฎ ๐“ช๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ฎ๐“ถ๐“น๐“ฝ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐“ซ๐“ฎ ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ต,
๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ผ ๐“ถ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ฎ ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ต ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ต ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ.

Oct 23, 2022 2:18 AM

Apr 2022
nah its joint strongest along with eva
Oct 23, 2022 2:19 AM

May 2020
Quite the opposite, actually.
Oct 23, 2022 2:20 AM
May 2022
how can this be the worst when there's darling in the franx and kill la kill
Oct 23, 2022 2:26 AM

Feb 2017
This isn't Trigger anime. The fact it was directed by Imaishi doesn't make it a Trigger anime. Is Dead Leaves also Trigger anime then?
Oct 23, 2022 2:26 AM

May 2017
How can it be the worst when Promare and Ditf are basically a rip-off of it
Oct 23, 2022 2:27 AM

Feb 2014
It's the culmination of everything that came before it (Gunbuster, Eva, Diebuster). So no, it's not the weakest. If anything, it's the peak of Gainax/Trigger. This is where they managed to put all their themes, ideas, philosophy, visual creativity, in one tight, polished package.
Oct 23, 2022 2:28 AM

Jan 2009
Tsarko said:
This isn't Trigger anime. The fact it was directed by Imaishi doesn't make it a Trigger anime. Is Dead Leaves also Trigger anime then?

maybe they meant the team behind Gurren Lagann founded Trigger Studio so that works too
Oct 23, 2022 2:37 AM

Feb 2020
akiramado19 said:
I've watched a bunch of trigger anime (cyberpunk, ditf, psg, klk and eva) but this one seemed very bland and wacky compared to the others. Anyone else feels the same?

I simply can't understand why this anime is so highly prized. One of the worst anime I've ever seen..

Oct 23, 2022 2:52 AM

May 2021
This is actually one of the best ones
Oct 23, 2022 3:15 AM
Nov 2020
AlexPlayer said:
How can it be the worst when Promare and Ditf are basically a rip-off of it
Rip-off doesn't mean bad. Like one poster above said GL is also a "rip-off" of everyhting they did before. However, i found the over-the-topiness quite underwhelming in ttgl. I would have appreciated more if It didn't take itself seriously like PSG did.
- Akira Toriyama

Oct 23, 2022 3:34 AM

Jul 2017
Nah, probably Promare and Kill La Kill are the weakest ones
Oct 23, 2022 3:43 AM
Jan 2019
WHAT?! GURREN LAGGAN is such a masterpiece for all man who respect himself he give very much inspiration
Oct 23, 2022 3:57 AM

Feb 2012
This is a Gainax anime.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 23, 2022 4:07 AM

Sep 2022
ScionOfCyan said:
akiramado19 said:
Rip-off doesn't mean bad. Like one poster above said GL is also a "rip-off" of everyhting they did before. However, i found the over-the-topiness quite underwhelming in ttgl. I would have appreciated more if It didn't take itself seriously like PSG did.
The over-the-topiness is presented as if it's serious because what it is intended to represent is a serious message.
This story is fundamentally about obscene ambition and social outcasts....

Gurren Lagann is full of outsized plot elements, behavior, and imagery. That's precisely because this story is about achieving what 99% of humanity 'knows' is physically impossible. It's an intentional stylistic choice to reinforce that thematic element of Gurren Lagann. It needs to 'feel' impossible to you, the viewer, as you are immersed in the experience, because that's the whole point of this story. Gurren Lagann is an endless spiral towards more and more ridiculous levels. This is entirely congruent with 'doing what common sense dictates is impossible.'

This story is about a human being becoming wildly successful and reaching the “1%” after starting a lot lower. It’s about the mindset that is a prerequisite to accomplishing such a feat. Gurren Lagann’s creators tell us exactly what they think that mindset looks like, in the form of a character.
(https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=887566)
There is a lot in this story where the literal meaning is complete nonsense but the figurative meaning makes perfect sense, is profound, and is extraordinarily helpful for anyone who aspires to be a trailblazer like Kamina.

every imaishi's anime are over-the-top. I think Akira has problem with only ttgl

Oct 23, 2022 4:12 AM
Nov 2020
ScionOfCyan said:
akiramado19 said:
The over-the-topiness is presented as if it's serious because what it is intended to represent is a serious message.
This story is fundamentally about obscene ambition and social outcasts....

Gurren Lagann is full of outsized plot elements, behavior, and imagery. That's precisely because this story is about achieving what 99% of humanity 'knows' is physically impossible. It's an intentional stylistic choice to reinforce that thematic element of Gurren Lagann. It needs to 'feel' impossible to you, the viewer, as you are immersed in the experience, because that's the whole point of this story. Gurren Lagann is an endless spiral towards more and more ridiculous levels. This is entirely congruent with 'doing what common sense dictates is impossible.'

This story is about a human being becoming wildly successful and reaching the “1%” after starting a lot lower. It’s about the mindset that is a prerequisite to accomplishing such a feat. Gurren Lagann’s creators tell us exactly what they think that mindset looks like, in the form of a character.
(https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=887566)
There is a lot in this story where the literal meaning is complete nonsense but the figurative meaning makes perfect sense, is profound, and is extraordinarily helpful for anyone who aspires to be a trailblazer like Kamina.

You really want me to take the spiral craziness and wombo combos seriously, dawg?
- Akira Toriyama

Oct 23, 2022 4:13 AM
Jul 2018
kill la kill is the worst
Oct 23, 2022 4:21 AM
Nov 2020
ScionOfCyan said:
akiramado19 said:
You really want me to take the spiral craziness and wombo combos seriously, dawg?
You can take seriously whatever you want to take seriously. All I'm saying is if you decide that 'spiral craziness' and 'wombo combos' aren't (at least partially) there for a serious reason then the meaning behind them is flying straight over your head.

The reason so many people love this show is because they recognize that meaning behind them, either consciously or instinctively.
Damn, didn't know TTGL joined the 3deep5u club. My guess to why so many people love this show is called "nostalgia".
- Akira Toriyama

Oct 23, 2022 4:38 AM
Feb 2021
If we are to count Gainax anime as Trigger, which it sounds like you are. Then I would have to say the weakest anime by them is FLCL.
Oct 23, 2022 4:45 AM
Feb 2020
No its literally regarded as their best. LMAO
Oct 23, 2022 4:54 AM

Nov 2016
When people act like Gainax never existed. The disrespect is real.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 23, 2022 4:59 AM
Apr 2021
What? You mean the opposite
Oct 23, 2022 5:02 AM
Feb 2021
FMmatron said:

I agree although I too sometimes refer to the two studios as one entity rather than two separate studios. I just find it easier to say “-“ is my favorite or least favorite Gainax-Trigger work than separating the two of them. Then there are the Eva-Rebuilds which are neither but I see referred to as a Gainax anime and that confuses me.
Oct 23, 2022 5:04 AM
Nov 2020
Treyv0n said:
the opposite? When cyberkino exists?
- Akira Toriyama

Oct 23, 2022 5:08 AM
Apr 2021
akiramado19 said:
Treyv0n said:
the opposite? When cyberkino exists?

Gurren lagann and top tier fast paced action packed anime, Simon bs anti spiral was peak my guy๐Ÿ”ฅ
Oct 23, 2022 5:14 AM

Nov 2016
CBPman9001 said:
FMmatron said:

I agree although I too sometimes refer to the two studios as one entity rather than two separate studios. I just find it easier to say “-“ is my favorite or least favorite Gainax-Trigger work than separating the two of them. Then there are the Eva-Rebuilds which are neither but I see referred to as a Gainax anime and that confuses me.

You could simply call them Imaishi anime.

But yeah, in this case OP was just shitposting. He knows Gurren Lagann is peak, that's why he's not even trying.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 23, 2022 5:16 AM

Jan 2013
It's literally not a "Trigger" anime. Anyone who mentioned Kill la Kill can fight me.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 23, 2022 5:27 AM

Aug 2020
These kids really be hating on KLK nowadays huh
JeTeLOct 23, 2022 5:38 AM
Oct 23, 2022 5:28 AM
Mar 2015
BNA and darling in the franxx way weaker
Oct 23, 2022 5:52 AM

Jan 2014
Cyrose said:
akiramado19 said:

I simply can't understand why this anime is so highly prized. One of the worst anime I've ever seen..

This show whenever it dropped was using puppet strings to take the long used and abused corpse of the mecha genre and actively and jokingly revive it by make fun of mecha in a really silly meta way. Growing up in the 90s and having Trigger use very tired and worn out tropes and themes to breath new life into the Meca genre at all by just being very silly was awesome for mecha in general. I have a ton of mecha purist buds that absolutely hate it, but for the time (15 years ago) it came out, the tropes it mocked it was almost like a avangarde love letter to something that was widely considered past it's prime. that's why so many people enjoy it and think it's fun.
Oct 23, 2022 6:15 AM
Mar 2022
So much better than Eva
Oct 23, 2022 6:22 AM

Dec 2013
https://youtu.be/Sg-hA64-yWs

this video helped shine a new light on Gurren Lagann for me. I loved it for its pure fun nature, but there's much more to why I love this series now. It means a lot, and I love it for what it has to say. The perfect response to Eva
JAW7Oct 23, 2022 6:25 AM
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Oct 23, 2022 7:22 AM

Sep 2019
weird way to spell peak
Oct 23, 2022 7:24 AM
Apr 2020
Wtf. Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill are both goated. Why is there so much hate in the world.
Oct 23, 2022 7:30 AM

Apr 2022
I prefered Kill la Kill by far. Ttgl is to manly for me and I felt like the show was centred on masculinity. But not everyone is a dumb bitch like I am so I guess lot of people prefer Ttgl.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Oct 23, 2022 7:49 AM
Nov 2020
EastConnection said:
So much better than Eva
Not a high bar lol.
Hydra80 said:
Wtf. Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill are both goated. Why is there so much hate in the world.
This world is so Le cruel, yet so le beautiful.
- Akira Toriyama

Oct 23, 2022 7:51 AM

Aug 2017
Bro what the fuck are you on? First of all it might not look flashy by today’s standards but you have to remember this anime was started in 2006. And second it’s like DitF’s ending but it actually makes sense

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Oct 23, 2022 8:08 AM
Nov 2020
Remocracy said:
Bro what the fuck are you on? First of all it might not look flashy by today’s standards but you have to remember this anime was started in 2006. And second it’s like DitF’s ending but it actually makes sense
I first came across GL when I was a kid so late 00's, the visuals can't filter me. I take it Ditf ending isn't great but the ride entertained me more, plus zero two>>
- Akira Toriyama

Oct 23, 2022 8:10 AM
Mar 2022
Imo it’s one of the best
Oct 23, 2022 8:21 AM
Jan 2018
Mecha shows used to be loved by everyone. Gurren Lagann was the Super Robot love letter people never knew they needed. Done by Gainax. Maybe Diebuster will be more to your taste. It's only 6 episodes and if you loved 02, you will definitely love Nono.

If you decide to give Mecha another chance, Gwitch is airing right now. Without hype and unreasonable expectations, I think you could really enjoy it.
To answer your question, the worst Trigger anime is a tie between Kiznaiver and BNA.
Oct 23, 2022 8:24 AM
Nov 2020
MFDOOMED said:
Mecha shows used to be loved by everyone. Gurren Lagann was the Super Robot love letter people never knew they needed. Done by Gainax. Maybe Diebuster will be more to your taste. It's only 6 episodes and if you loved 02, you will definitely love Nono.

If you decide to give Mecha another chance, Gwitch is airing right now. Without hype and unreasonable expectations, I think you could really enjoy it.
To answer your question, the worst Trigger anime is a tie between Kiznaiver and BNA.
Diebuster was fucking garbage. A fucking sequel (prequel) that wasn't needed.
I'm not unfamiliar to the mecha genre btw.
- Akira Toriyama

Oct 23, 2022 8:35 AM

Aug 2017
akiramado19 said:
Remocracy said:
I first came across GL when I was a kid so late 00's, the visuals can't filter me. I take it Ditf ending isn't great but the ride entertained me more, plus zero two>>
That doesn't make it have good plot, it just means it's hornier lol

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Oct 23, 2022 8:38 AM
Jul 2019
akiramado19 said:

are you f**cking kidding me? really? Jesus Christ man... trigger???????
Oct 23, 2022 8:58 AM

Aug 2021
it’s the best by far
Oct 23, 2022 9:00 AM
Oct 2020
akiramado19 said:
Remocracy said:

LMFAO, this comment can't even be taken seriously.
Oct 23, 2022 9:02 AM

Sep 2014
Every Trigger anime is the weakest.
Oct 23, 2022 9:04 AM
Nov 2020
DragonSlayer1989 said:
akiramado19 said:

LMFAO, this comment can't even be taken seriously.

I should ask you to elaborate but I already know it will be some shit like “mwaaahh how can you like ditf over ttgl waahhh”

Give me one (1) thing that TTGL did better than its predecessor
- Akira Toriyama

Oct 23, 2022 9:05 AM
Nov 2020
KryzakamiHrybami said:
Every Trigger anime is the weakest.

For real? Even psg and Cyberkino?
- Akira Toriyama

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

23 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Apr 25, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.