Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 2, 2010 12:32 PM

Nov 2008
There's nothing surprising that I came across when I read this manga. It's a testosterone fueled manga that is nothing more than masturbation of male ego. Drop dead gorgeous women, assassinations, male lead being the leader of a mafia, six pack abs, herculean strength and finesse... The funny thing is that every character tend to strip of all their clothes before they start fighting. It's probably why I enjoyed it. It never took itself too seriously.

This manga has it all. It even has totally absurd moments, such as a naked obese woman being carried by airlift using a helicopter.

This manga represents the James Bond standard of manga. Sex, deceit, gorgeous women, male ego are all ever present themes in this Ikegami and Koike collaboration.

7/10 (A thrilling ride but not good enough to be a must read due to its sheer absurdity)

If you enjoyed this manga, check out Heat, Strain and Sanctuary.

Bonus pictures:

The awesome:

The absurd:

Stop! Mafia posing like the Backstreet Boys time!

arimakenshinMay 2, 2010 1:44 PM
Dec 11, 2017 7:57 PM
Aug 2010
"not good enough to be a must read due to its sheer absurdity" I disagree because I think there is good absurdity and bad absurdity and Koike's sillier work is some of the best absurdity. It's completely ridiculous and not remotely "deep" but I don't think something has to be deep to be enjoyable. I'd say a film like Drunken Master 2 is a must-see even though it's just goofy violence and comedy.

That said, as much as I'm enjoying Crying Freeman I like the Mad Bull 34 manga more because the characters are less idealized and more cartoony, unique and hilarious. But from what I gather Ikegami loves his idealized characters and would probably not have enjoyed drawing a protagonist like Sleepy or Daizaburo as much.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Crying Freeman Volume 1 Discussion

arimakenshin - May 2, 2010

2 by busterbeam »»
Dec 11, 2017 7:53 PM

Poll: » Crying Freeman Chapter 1 Discussion

alpir - Mar 19, 2016

0 by alpir »»
Mar 19, 2016 2:48 PM

Poll: » Crying Freeman Chapter 5 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Jun 16, 2013

0 by ZetaZaku »»
Jun 16, 2013 9:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.