Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2022 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
Takeru needs to get his shit together. This episode was awkward to watch on various segments.

On the other hand, we got to see a lot more of Kouzuki, a character I find more tolerable than some the others in the show.
Oct 19, 2022 9:30 AM
Oct 2020
One episode I despise the most. Purely because how they handled marimo. Barely any dialogue between marimo and takeru when there could've been enough to fill most of the episode. And a single scene. The scene I loved the most from this franchise. Cut off. Ain't that great? The pacing also went to the gutter. They rushed through takeru's PTSD.
dailybreadOct 19, 2022 9:40 AM
Oct 19, 2022 9:40 AM
May 2016
Goddamn it
Godfuckingdamn it
I'm kind of speechless right now
In a single move, they:
- Butchered the whole near-rape stuff
- Ruined the whole leading up to marimo's second death, which had sumika crying in the distance and the gradual realization and subsequent breakdown in madness by takeru, with meiya and co trying their best to put down
- No "jinguiji-sensei was seen eating with another man"
- Altered the events in the game to some bullshit their doing right now, which i guess is gonna be lame as shite and will NOT convey the hopelessness of the situation, as intended
Man, this is truly a sad day for me cause i love this arc very much. But merch don't sell itself, i guess
Oct 19, 2022 1:25 PM

Feb 2019
The story has REALLY kicked into gear these last couple of episodes. VN nerds crying about things that were left out of a 100 hour VN in a 12 episode form lol. Of course they’re going to change and condense things because there’s only so much you can fit in a 23 minute episode and have it flow well.

On its own merits I really enjoyed the episode and think takeru’s near psychotic break/wanting to go home is exactly how someone would react in that situation. It’s just a shame that Jinguuji suffered an equally bad fate in that reality too.

These last two eps have been very hard to watch and have had a very Evangelion type feel to em. Can’t wait for next week
Marinate1016Oct 19, 2022 1:32 PM
Oct 19, 2022 1:33 PM
Jan 2019
I totally understand if people are unhappy with this episode, when comparing it with the visual novel, as it does change a lot of things around, has a completely different pacing etc. But as an anime episode, it never really felt rushed, which is a big, BIG difference compared to last season which in some episodes felt all over the place. To me, the writing take a big step

That being said, I love this part of the visual novel and of course I would have been happier if they took more time for this arc than it looks like they will. Some individual scenes could also have been handled better, such as the boob grab (which was pointless and which I would have cut completely), or the news broadcast (in which I would have wanted MUCH more of an emotional reaction from.. well.. everyone).

All in all, it was a pretty good episode that tackles the challenge of adapting the part of the visual novel that is by far the hardest to adapt - and mostly succeeds.
Oct 19, 2022 2:39 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Marimo dying in his original world too was something I thought would be great but wouldn’t actually happen, but then it went and happened lol, in an arguably more brutal way too, only this time Takeru didn’t witness it himself. It’s also interesting to hear the content covered in this episode was toned down compared to the VN, tho I thought it was pretty well done here myself.

I also liked the Meiya moments in this one, if only she knew what she was saying to Takeru wasn’t very helpful lol, but in the original world she seems to be having a better impact, sad to see Sumika left in the dust tho.
Oct 19, 2022 2:44 PM
Mar 2017
Am I the only one who thinks that all this could have been avoided if they chose not to have a conversation right in the middle of a battlefield with an enemy that has huge numbers and can pop right out of the ground?!
Oct 19, 2022 4:14 PM

Jan 2009
Takeru got scared and traumatized now it seems but he causes the death of Marimo too on the original timeline damn

the love triangle between Takeru, Sumika and Meiya is evolving fast
Oct 19, 2022 8:14 PM
Oct 2022
Dude got what he deserved, never ever mess with history even if you can go back in time. It is not worth even if you lost someone important.
Oct 19, 2022 9:16 PM
Jun 2012
I don't know why anyone who hates this continues to watch it. It's never going to be the same as the vn.
Oct 19, 2022 9:31 PM
Mar 2019
Graciaus said:
I don't know why anyone who hates this continues to watch it. It's never going to be the same as the vn.

you can like something and still dislike how they portrayed specific parts
Oct 19, 2022 10:04 PM

Jan 2015
dailybread said:
One episode I despise the most. Purely because how they handled marimo. Barely any dialogue between marimo and takeru when there could've been enough to fill most of the episode. And a single scene. The scene I loved the most from this franchise. Cut off. Ain't that great? The pacing also went to the gutter. They rushed through takeru's PTSD.

This anime should not be exist in the first place. It's disgusting of what have they done. They basically said that Extra and Unlimited are irrelavent , and we will cut more contents from the Alternative and said that people will only interest in mecha fight .

Why don't they pick random isekai LN and make an anime of it instead of this ?
Rance X is A GOAT.
Oct 19, 2022 11:22 PM
Jul 2011
They could have done it better. I wanted them to really drive that PTSD into our heads like the VN did. But there is plenty more to go. Just seeing the scene reminded me on how much worse this was (For Takeru/the Player) in the VN.

For VN readers, the past two episodes is where the journey begins leading to PTSD. For Anime watchers, I feel it is all pure shock factor, it may or may not stay with you but the point was sent as we are not Takeru but in 3rd Person.

So if you're curious and want the full impact, go read the VN, you'll get to experience to an extent how Takeru feels.

I am simply happy they made this into an Anime.
Oct 20, 2022 12:15 AM

Mar 2015
So glad I never played the overrated visual novel and settling for the crappy anime. I can say right now I wouldn't have enjoyed my purchase with all the female body horror (Marimo and Sumika) that this sadistic author likes to push on people. Completely unnecessary. Will be glad when it's over so I can put the story behind me.
Oct 20, 2022 12:49 AM
Jun 2012
Raven_Wingz said:
So glad I never played the overrated visual novel and settling for the crappy anime. I can say right now I wouldn't have enjoyed my purchase with all the female body horror (Marimo and Sumika) that this sadistic author likes to push on people. Completely unnecessary. Will be glad when it's over so I can put the story behind me.

Muv-Luv has amazing world building and memerable characters. Your loss.
Oct 20, 2022 2:54 AM

Oct 2014
This episode butchered multiple scenes and also toned down Takeru's reactions in the Extraverse.

The previous two eps weren't bad, but it seems we're back to rushing now.
AdatiusOct 21, 2022 12:09 PM
Oct 20, 2022 6:34 PM
Sep 2011
Quality jump between seasons is amazing
Oct 21, 2022 2:32 AM
Jan 2020
I feel like they're actually trying to make this good but they just can't (direction wise)
Oct 21, 2022 12:42 PM

Oct 2014
Marinate1016 said:
The story has REALLY kicked into gear these last couple of episodes. VN nerds crying about things that were left out of a 100 hour VN in a 12 episode form lol. Of course they’re going to change and condense things because there’s only so much you can fit in a 23 minute episode and have it flow well.

It doesn't flow well, anime nerd. Shit's all over the place and the main character surviving near-death situations happened off-screen, twice.

And yes, I know you don't want to be quoted but I did it to be annoying :>
Oct 21, 2022 6:28 PM

Nov 2014
Not having read the source material I can't compare it but as an Anime this is very frustrating.... Came for the giant mecha, stayed for the ability to rant at the insanity of the story.

I did very much enjoy Schwarzesmarken and reasonably enjoyed Total Eclipse.
Oct 22, 2022 3:47 AM

Jun 2019
dailybread said:

She said something very similar in the episode. Perhaps VN "readers" need to be told the same thing in 20 different ways to understand, but it would be awful if this anime spent three episodes on a loser who manages to be traumatised by a single death despite having witnessed much worse in the past.

Choostopher said:
Not having read the source material I can't compare it but as an Anime this is very frustrating.... Came for the giant mecha, stayed for the ability to rant at the insanity of the story.

I find it strange that Schwarzesmarken is rated below Total Eclipse considering that they managed to craft a coherent story with a good pace in only 12 episodes, contrary to Total Eclipse that gets a little boring in the middle.
Oct 22, 2022 4:07 AM
Oct 2020
Meusnier said:
dailybread said:

She said something very similar in the episode. Perhaps VN "readers" need to be told the same thing in 20 different ways to understand, but it would be awful if this anime spent three episodes on a loser who manages to be traumatised by a single death despite having witnessed much worse in the past.

Choostopher said:

I find it strange that Schwarzesmarken is rated below Total Eclipse considering that they managed to craft a coherent story with a good pace in only 12 episodes, contrary to Total Eclipse that gets a little boring in the middle.

He never witnessed anything like that before, much less anything worse. He was a highschool student, witnessing the death of someone who's close to him (not really showed in the anime but marimo is pretty close with takeru). Him getting the front seat is an extra. That's kinda the point of the entire arc. A normal highschool student finally witnessing the actual horrors of the alternate world. Again, as I've said before, what is it with anime only making things up to back up their arguments?
dailybreadOct 22, 2022 4:12 AM
Oct 22, 2022 4:39 AM

Jun 2019
dailybread said:
Meusnier said:

He never witnessed anything like that before, much less anything worse. He was a highschool student, witnessing the death of someone who's close to him (not really showed in the anime but marimo is pretty close with takeru). Him getting the front seat is an extra. That's kinda the point of the entire arc. A normal highschool student finally witnessing the actual horrors of the alternate world. Again, as I've said before, what is it with anime only making things up to back up their arguments?

He saw humanity being defeated, died, and did not get a PTSD out of it, although it should have been a much more traumatising experience.

I am not "making things up" (sic), those events happened in the beginning of S1 episode 2.

Oct 22, 2022 4:52 AM
Oct 2020
Meusnier said:
dailybread said:

He saw humanity being defeated, died, and did not get a PTSD out of it, although it should have been a much more traumatising experience.

I am not "making things up" (sic), those events happened in the beginning of S1 episode 2.

He doesn't remember a single thing from TDA (The day after, basically after they announced Alt V is in effect). He just knew humanity is fucked in a way that he just "knew" from the rough memory he had. This time, I'm not blaming you since this one is not mentioned at all in the anime. He only has a very rough, jumbled memory of his past. He remembers important stuff like Beta invasion from sado, the volcano incident (a bit but not all of them. This will play an important role later on), etc etc. But for the most part, his memory is very vague. Now you are telling me, then, how is he able to tell the fututre reliably? Honestly, I don't know. It switches up between him being able to remember certain events and just getting an epiphany about who he boned after some triggers (the vn sold it as an information flowing to him from some other alternative timeline because causality conductor bla bla bla). He doesn't even recall having sex with yuuko during his last loop until a trigger remind him. Don't get me wrong, he definitely saw some shit during TDA but to this alternative Takeru, those events doesn't exist. Because He would never recall those even until the end of the story. So, take it from me, who have read the VN, this is technically the first time he ever saw someone he loves got chewed up in front of him up close. It doesn't get more traumatizing than that.
dailybreadOct 22, 2022 5:05 AM
Oct 22, 2022 6:34 AM

Jun 2015
That ending. Its like slap you in the face cliffhanger after cliffhanger. I wasnt too sure what was going on with the intro, so rewatched second half of last eps, then I still wasnt sure what was going on at start of this eps but rolled with it. The emotional damage was supreme. Ive no idea where this is going, but its epic!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Oct 22, 2022 8:15 AM

Jun 2019
dailybread said:
Meusnier said:

He doesn't remember a single thing from TDA (The day after, basically after they announced Alt V is in effect). He just knew humanity is fucked in a way that he just "knew" from the rough memory he had. This time, I'm not blaming you since this one is not mentioned at all in the anime. He only has a very rough, jumbled memory of his past. He remembers important stuff like Beta invasion from sado, the volcano incident (a bit but not all of them. This will play an important role later on), etc etc. But for the most part, his memory is very vague. Now you are telling me, then, how is he able to tell the fututre reliably? Honestly, I don't know. It switches up between him being able to remember certain events and just getting an epiphany about who he boned after some triggers (the vn sold it as an information flowing to him from some other alternative timeline because causality conductor bla bla bla). He doesn't even recall having sex with yuuko during his last loop until a trigger remind him. Don't get me wrong, he definitely saw some shit during TDA but to this alternative Takeru, those events doesn't exist. Because He would never recall those even until the end of the story. So, take it from me, who have read the VN, this is technically the first time he ever saw someone he loves got chewed up in front of him up close. It doesn't get more traumatizing than that.

He does remember being eaten by a BETA (episode 2).

He also mentions that he remembers seeing humanity leave Earth amongst other things. He even has a flashback with Katsumi and other people. His memory is partial, but he does remember about a few important things. So either the anime has added new things to the source material, or the VN did not manage to make Takeru's PTSD credible. In all cases, the anime has failed at explaining properly Takeru's reaction, which is another reason not to spend three episodes on this odd episode.

Getting chewed up yourself by a Tank-class is certainly as (if not more) traumatising than seeing a friend getting chewed by a Soldier-class.
Oct 22, 2022 8:54 AM
Jan 2019
Meusnier said:

He also mentions that he remembers seeing humanity leave Earth amongst other things. He even has a flashback with Katsumi and other people. His memory is partial, but he does remember about a few important things. So either the anime has added new things to the source material, or the VN did not manage to make Takeru's PTSD credible. In all cases, the anime has failed at explaining properly Takeru's reaction, which is another reason not to spend three episodes on this odd episode.

Getting chewed up yourself by a Tank-class is certainly as (if not more) traumatising than seeing a friend getting chewed by a Soldier-class.

Was he though? The way he's attacked by the destroyer and then immediately wakes up seems to suggest that this attack is what killed him. It was similar in the manga version where his Gekishin was obliterated by a fort class and then he wakes up. That shot with the tank class was added for the anime.

The VN never showed his final moments. All it says is that his squad was never sent out into battle until those colony ships left earth.
Oct 22, 2022 8:57 AM
Oct 2020
Meusnier said:
dailybread said:

Okay, this is probably the difference in the writing decision between the anime and the VN. In the anime, they want to show the BETA as fast as possible meanwhile in the VN your first time seeing BETA would be during the trial. As far as the original story concerned, it wasn't there. Okay I'm not going to go into detail since the mod will go ballistic if I discus about this in an episodic thread. And I'll put a spoiler tag on it. It's about a thing that happens later in the vn.
So I can't say for sure if the anime is telling that's how takeru died in one of his loop or it's a call to the plot point I said above.
because:
Incognimous said:
Meusnier said:

Was he though? The way he's attacked by the destroyer and then immediately wakes up seems to suggest that this attack is what killed him. It was similar in the manga version where his Gekishin was obliterated by a fort class and then he wakes up. That shot with the tank class was added for the anime.

The VN never showed his final moments. All it says is that his squad was never sent out into battle until those colony ships left earth.

Either way, as I said, It's traumatic because that's his first seeing something so traumatic (and for us the vn readers after staring at school and base hallway for 60 hours).
dailybreadOct 22, 2022 9:08 AM
Oct 22, 2022 1:56 PM

Jun 2019
Incognimous said:
Meusnier said:

Just rewatch the beginning of episode 2, the two images that I have shown are almost consecutive, which implies that he remembers being eaten by this BETA (how could he see a BETA that close otherwise?). Generally, pilots are not killed by a Destroyer-classes, they just cannot move, and then, they get killed—or rather eaten—by either Soldier-classes or Tank-classes.

Then the anime and the VN differ...

Oct 22, 2022 2:58 PM
Jan 2019
Meusnier said:
Just rewatch the beginning of episode 2, the two images that I have shown are almost consecutive, which implies that he remembers being eaten by this BETA (how could he see a BETA that close otherwise?). Generally, pilots are not killed by a Destroyer-classes, they just cannot move, and then, they get killed—or rather eaten—by either Soldier-classes or Tank-classes.

Neither the VN nor the manga show any memories of him being eaten alive or anything close to that (and both do not shy away from showing gore), which makes me think this shot is just short hand used in the anime to show a sort of deep seated fear of the BETA, not an actual vivid memory. Something similar happened in Muv-Luv Unlimited where seeing the silhouette of a BETA made him pass out during a simulator test.

This is all disregarding that a) even if he had traumatic experiences in the past, the graphic death of a person close to him at point blank range can still traumatize him or b) it could trigger a trauma that he already has (e.g. through his fragmentary memories).
Oct 22, 2022 10:47 PM

Jun 2019
Incognimous said:
Meusnier said:

Neither the VN nor the manga show any memories of him being eaten alive or anything close to that (and both do not shy away from showing gore), which makes me think this shot is just short hand used in the anime to show a sort of deep seated fear of the BETA, not an actual vivid memory. Something similar happened in Muv-Luv Unlimited where seeing the silhouette of a BETA made him pass out during a simulator test.

This is all disregarding that a) even if he had traumatic experiences in the past, the graphic death of a person close to him at point blank range can still traumatize him or b) it could trigger a trauma that he already has (e.g. through his fragmentary memories).

Why do you keep clinging to your VN/manga storytelling? In the anime, he clearly remembers about those scenes. He wakes up, cries, and the first image he remembers is this BETA who was about to eat him. This has nothing to do with an abstract fear of BETA... It would be good to stop being of bad faith about the interpretation of such basic cinematographic tricks.

Mere possibilities that do not make this scene credible...
Write not what cannot be with ease conceiv'd;
Som Truths may be too strong to be believ'd.

The Art of Poetry, Canto III, Boileau.
Oct 22, 2022 11:28 PM
Jan 2019
Meusnier said:
Why do you keep clinging to your VN/manga storytelling? In the anime, he clearly remembers about those scenes. He wakes up, cries, and the first image he remembers is this BETA who was about to eat him. This has nothing to do with an abstract fear of BETA... It would be good to stop being of bad faith about the interpretation of such basic cinematographic tricks.

Mere possibilities that do not make this scene credible...

I am trying to explain to you why I have a different interpretation of the scene, based on a very similar scene that happened earlier on in the source material. If you want to call that clinging or bad faith, okay, your call. If you believe that I argue in bad faith I guess any further discussion is not needed.

You can interpret the scene differently, sure, I am not ruling it out. But again, to me that would not change anything. Even if he has some fragmentary memories of being killed by a tank class in his previous foray into this world, that does not mean that the graphic, close up death of a person close to him could not create or trigger a trauma.
IncognimousOct 23, 2022 1:21 AM
Oct 23, 2022 3:29 AM

Mar 2014
Holy shit.... That was sad and pathetic
Oct 23, 2022 9:17 AM

Dec 2008
That became more dramatic again, Takeru wasn't in the mood for rape and ran home with the tail between his legs.
Karma is a bitch and Takeru falls even more apart in his peaceful world.

kind of bizarre how Marimo died again in the other universe, I don't think they had to throw her in a meat cutter.

Seems like things will get more terrible, I hope that the BETA won't appear.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2022 7:40 PM
Feb 2015
Raven_Wingz said:

Those so called horror aren't really even much of a focal.
Like for Marimo, what indirectly caused her death? It was Takeru's pride/ego.
His ego got excessively massive at this point because things were going smooth for him.
Then his encounter with the BETA crushed his pride, he felt that he became the joke of the base because he was rushing at them with paintballs and even piss himself off when near death.
He ended up weeping at the spot he lost even though it was unnecessary and dangerous.
Oct 24, 2022 3:00 AM

Nov 2007
ixarising said:
Raven_Wingz said:

Those so called horror aren't really even much of a focal.
Like for Marimo, what indirectly caused her death? It was Takeru's pride/ego.
His ego got excessively massive at this point because things were going smooth for him.
Then his encounter with the BETA crushed his pride, he felt that he became the joke of the base because he was rushing at them with paintballs and even piss himself off when near death.
He ended up weeping at the spot he lost even though it was unnecessary and dangerous.

He had a full ptsd meldown because this was the first time he saw the actuall beta and it triggered dormant experiences from unlimited (I dont think he can access these memories its more of a his body/soul remembers kinda thing). This plus the hypnosis and the stimulants sent him completely of the rails. It's something that they couldn't have predicted would happen.
The pissing himself is something that Marimo also talks about and she says that its something that propably most pilots have happen to them.
The area he was weeping in was supposed to be secured but they cut that part out where it is said. I can be inferred by there already being yellow tape and all and the girls being there.

But yes things have been going very smoothly for him and his contributions made significant meaningfull changes to the timeline so he was due for a reality check. Him absolutely falling appart uppon realizing that, yes he was brought into this world for a yet unknown reason but that doesn't mean that he will succeed in finding out and he may just die without succeeding at anything he wanted or hoped for.
Oct 24, 2022 3:23 AM

Jul 2019
The episode felt too disjointed and a lot of scenes lacked impact, a shame because they did a decent job with the previous episode.

I feel like the lack of VN ost is also an issue. I don't how many times this almost made me tear up:

Fax001sOct 24, 2022 3:30 AM
Oct 24, 2022 4:50 AM

Nov 2007
Fax001s said:
The episode felt too disjointed and a lot of scenes lacked impact, a shame because they did a decent job with the previous episode.

I feel like the lack of VN ost is also an issue. I don't how many times this almost made me tear up:

100% agree. They tried to do way too much in such a short amount of time and therefore didn't give the big moments time to breath and sink in. They have reduced most conversation down to their core component and left out secondary points. This way the most important plot points are still there but now every conversation feels somewhat unnatural aprupt and well as you said... disjointed. It's a rough arc to watch and I get that they dont want to spend multiple episodes just bumming people out.

At the time I've played it I felt that Takeru running away was absolutely something I could picture myself doing in that situation as well. He did bring the formula, alternative IV is on its way. XM3 will save countless lives and he has already saved thousands of people with the intel he brought over from unlimited. He has shown first hand that he is not the chosen one and by his meddling people died that didn't need to die. Him not wanting to get his hands any more bloody is... understandable enough I think. Yuuko even told him that his mission is done and sends him off.
It's cowardice and escapist and as Kasumi said pathetic (always hated that line by the way as that out of characterily cruel for her to even verbalize) but ultimately it made sense to me.
Oct 24, 2022 9:34 PM

Oct 2013
Marinate1016 said:

On its own merits I really enjoyed the episode and think takeru’s near psychotic break/wanting to go home is exactly how someone would react in that situation. It’s just a shame that Jinguuji suffered an equally bad fate in that reality too.

These last two eps have been very hard to watch and have had a very Evangelion type feel to em. Can’t wait for next week

dude glad to see someone else agree with me about how realistic it is him breaking and wanting to go back!

Had a fight with my brother about this cause he thinks takeru just needed to get over it and quit being a bitch. Also says he never should have gone back to his original world to begin with cause he's not fit for it anymore.

But I'm like dude that's exactly why he wants to go back. It's like a soldier returning from war, how some are able to just pick up like nothing ever happen and others are changed forever and feel like they are out of place when they come back even around their family.

So I think they've been doing a good job for us that aren't VN readers.
I do wish though that they had just started from the beginning kinda cause it's hard starting half way through this story.
Oct 28, 2022 1:00 PM
May 2021
Good, but nothing compared to the Visual Novel!
Jul 11, 2023 6:11 AM

Jul 2015
Well can't blame the literal kid for going crazy and trying to run away after seeing Marimo-chan die twice, especially since he has the opportunity to return to a BETA-free world. Got to the feeling more girls will die though...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dailybread - Oct 12, 2022

85 by CafeAlpha »»
May 5, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion

dailybread - Oct 5, 2022

39 by Otakuwhip »»
Jan 27, 7:15 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2022

31 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 11:50 AM

» Worth watching?

TacoQZ - Oct 21, 2022

26 by otakuops7 »»
Jun 2, 2023 7:46 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2022

18 by Playcool »»
Jan 29, 2023 3:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.