Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 11, 2022 7:21 PM
Feb 2021
Would Haruhi be considered the protagonist or would kyon? Obviously the story is centered around Haruhi but we are looking at it through Kyons lense. Would you consider kyon as just the narrator or protagonist? Or would both of them be?
Oct 11, 2022 7:40 PM
Feb 2021
899_erwin said:
Would Haruhi be considered the protagonist or would kyon? Obviously the story is centered around Haruhi but we are looking at it through Kyons lense. Would you consider kyon as just the narrator or protagonist? Or would both of them be?

I think Kyon is the protagonist that keeps a story of this kind as grounded as it can be through his perspective and interactions with the eccentricity of the other characters. He is meant to be a relatable and down to earth character that the audience is meant to relate to in my opinion.
Oct 11, 2022 7:43 PM
Feb 2021
CBPman9001 said:
899_erwin said:

I think Kyon is the protagonist that keeps a story of this kind as grounded as it can be through his perspective and interactions with the eccentricity of the other characters. He is meant to be a relatable and down to earth character that the audience is meant to relate to in my opinion.

fair enough, that's what I'm leaning towards too I think
Oct 11, 2022 8:03 PM
Feb 2021
899_erwin said:
CBPman9001 said:

fair enough, that's what I'm leaning towards too I think

Also I love the Simon and Boota profile picture.
Oct 11, 2022 8:07 PM
Feb 2021
thanks man appreciate it
Oct 11, 2022 8:25 PM

May 2022
CBPman9001 said:
899_erwin said:

There’s an argument to be had for Haruhi being the antagonist, lol.
Oct 11, 2022 8:36 PM
Jan 2021
Haruhi is the MC same with Akame being the MC from Akame Ga Kill and Lucy being the MC from Fairy Tail, all through the lens of another character.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Oct 11, 2022 8:40 PM
Jan 2014
Well it's Haruhi's show so I think that answers your question, but they're both protagonists as are the other 3. There almost never is just 1, but MAIN protagonist I would say both Kyon and Haruhi are equally as important to the story.
Oct 11, 2022 8:40 PM
Feb 2021
CHT13 said:
CBPman9001 said:

I think there is definitely a point to be made there. Also I remember your message from a couple months back and I recently subscribed to HiDive so I will get back to you soon. Also what happened to the Chika profile picture?
Oct 11, 2022 8:45 PM

May 2022
CBPman9001 said:
CHT13 said:

I think there is definitely a point to be made there. Also I remember your message from a couple months back and I recently subscribed to HiDive so I will get back to you soon. Also what happened to the Chika profile picture?

I still love Chika but Chihaya is my all time favorite. Also inuyasha, lol
Oct 11, 2022 8:48 PM
Feb 2021
CHT13 said:
CBPman9001 said:

I also intend to watch Chihayafuru but that will probably take a couple of months once I start watching it.
Oct 11, 2022 8:52 PM

May 2022
CBPman9001 said:
CHT13 said:

I also intend to watch Chihayafuru but that will probably take a couple of months once I start watching it.

I love that show. Hidive’s app has been working a little better lately. I just hope I didn’t jinx myself.
Oct 11, 2022 10:58 PM
Aug 2020
899_erwin said:

I honestly think it’s the same thing as The Great Gatsby. Even though Haruhi is the technical protagonist in the sense that the show is named after her and she’s the one who is literally determining their experience and reality, Kyon is the narrator/protagonist also. Like it wouldn’t be the show without him, but also without her. So double protag vibes like The Great Gatsby
Oct 11, 2022 11:01 PM
Aug 2020
CHT13 said:
CBPman9001 said:

Honestly 😭😂 the way she terrorises everybody and forces them to do what they say. Also can we get into how she treats Asahina? Especially those episodes when they were filming the movie.

A part of me feels like she does it on purpose bc she knows Kyon is attracted to and protective of Asahina
Oct 11, 2022 11:43 PM

Jul 2015
People here really think that Haruhi is central protagonist just because she is in the title, but the guy from which POV story is being told in it's entirety isn't. lol

Oct 12, 2022 12:16 AM
Mar 2021
I mean haruhi could almost be considered the antagonist lol
Oct 12, 2022 12:20 AM
Feb 2021
maki-zenin said:
899_erwin said:

I honestly think it’s the same thing as The Great Gatsby. Even though Haruhi is the technical protagonist in the sense that the show is named after her and she’s the one who is literally determining their experience and reality, Kyon is the narrator/protagonist also. Like it wouldn’t be the show without him, but also without her. So double protag vibes like The Great Gatsby

that's a good way to describe it
Oct 12, 2022 3:04 AM
Nov 2020
Kyon is the protagonist. It’s his inner monologue and his perspective especially in the movie and the light novels continue the story
LightsrevengeOct 12, 2022 3:10 AM
Oct 12, 2022 5:26 AM
Apr 2020
kyon is the protagonist but haruhi is the main character that the story is focused around.
Oct 12, 2022 6:03 AM

Nov 2019
Jinks2504 said:
kyon is the protagonist but haruhi is the main character that the story is focused around.

Which is why The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is my favourite. XD
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Oct 13, 2022 11:43 AM
Mar 2012
The story is narrated by and told from Kyon's perspective, making him the main protagonist. Haruhi is the titular character and is one of the main characters.

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.