Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (54) « First ... « 52 53 [54]
Dec 29, 2023 4:20 PM
Dec 2023
I think the premise is interesting though it didn't grab my attention as much as other Shonen do on the first episode, though I love the animation and am excited to see how it progresses.
Jan 18, 11:34 PM
Jan 2024
The start of the anime is very important so that the audience stay tuned. Altho the starting of this episode was weak, the ending of the episode is what is holding me to it. Action scenes are fire.
Jan 31, 10:34 PM
May 2023
Very good episode, generally I'm not convinced by CGI but here MAPPA is using it very well (at least this first episode)
How lazy to have to pay a debt that is not yours, I love the design of pochita...so cute that she can decapitate you if she wants
With what they showed us about Denji's life and his dreams, I gladly accept the officer's treatment hahaha
PS: Good Opening and Ending, I guess he got back all the organs he sold hahaha although he still owes 38M yen (unless that's all he owed to the yakuza)
Feb 8, 2:58 PM
Sep 2023
Reply to BetaMaleUltra
It's been over a year since Chainsaw Man started airing, I've always wanted to re-watch it, even right after finishing the last episode. Now seems like just as good a time as ever. Still no announcement about a season 2 or a movie; MAPPA no doubt has their hands full as usual, especially with everything surrounding JJK right now. I just hope that they give their A-team (and all their staff for that matter) a well-deserved break, get them rested up so they can zero in and focus on creating the next instalment of Chainsaw Man. For now, I'm going to enjoy again all the hard work they put into this first season; and man what a brutal first episode they had opened up with. It's ugly and beautiful at the same time, showcasing the dark world Denji resides in, but animated beautifully with excellent cinematography and screenplay. On top of that, it really does make you thankful for the "normal lives" we get to live every day. This show slaps hard man. Looking forward to experiencing it once again.
@BetaMaleUltra got an update for you man
Mar 12, 5:49 AM
Mar 2024
Deep story filled with many human emotions intermingled with plenty of violent action.
Apr 3, 10:08 PM
Apr 2019
I liked it, the anime seems really cool.
Apr 25, 12:11 PM

Aug 2018
Started watching this anime today, after hearing so much praise about it, but without receiving a single spoiler. So I went completely blind, and I must say, I am really surprised by how good this episode was!

I loved how they started to show really well the bad conditions that the main character lived in, and how much he is doing to pay a debt he has, without explaining any about it. It was such a great start, especially when they show you Pochita, and you don't even know what it is, but you already love it. When they introduced Devils, I was already down for it, because I do love my Devil lore based animes.
I also really liked how they already showed us a bit of the protagonist's backstory, with how he got attached to the Yakuza, because of a debt of his deceased father. Talking about his father though, it really makes me wonder, what did his father do own such a big debt to the Yakuza. His father must have went through a lot, for him to just commit suicide... However, leaving his child alone, with the responsibility of paying his gigantic debt...
But seeing Pochita injured, NOOOOO, POOR BABY, WHO INJURED IT? Seeing Pochita, a devil, creating a relationship with the protagonist was so wholesome honestly. They only had each other, but they supported each other no matter what, and that's why they were able to stay alive.
But seeing the main character deploring that he wanted a girlfriend before he dies :(

Then we got introduced to what happened to his mother too, with the revelation that she died due to an heart disease that caused hemoptysis, while the protagonist had also just coughed blood, begs the question: what was the condition? I was wondering throughout the episode what it could be, and I think it might have been pulmonary hypertension due to heart failure, and this cardiopathy could have been genetic, hence why her son also has it.
But right after this, we see the character getting caught in an ambush, planned by a Zombie Devil, that the Yakuza made an agreement with (and ended up becoming devils themselves). His death scene was BRUTAL. It was so hard to hear his pain when he got stabbed, especially when you consider to, until that point, he had a miserable life, and he wasn't going to be able to pursue his dreams...
With his death, I questioned: if he's getting killed already, why did they make it seem like he was going to die due to a disease, what was the point of it? At the end of the day, he didn't have time for the disease to end up killing him. Was that scene a foreshadow for what was to come next (his death)? I think it might have been that, but I'm curious to see if his disease is going to have any impact later in the series, or if it was really only for foreshadowing his death.

SEEING POCHITA SLICED IN HALF WAS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Pochita deserved better, poor thing :((((((((((
I honestly got emotional when Pochita started remembering his times with the protagonist, and the promise they made, in how Pochita would take over the main character's body if he would ever die, letting the Yakuza think he's dead, and then leaving freely his own life, in a human's body.
Then Pochita turned this around, and gave the protagonist its heart, and made an agreement with him, that he could take Pochita's heart, but he would have to leave his own dream and show it, because Pochita really wanted to the dream he talked about so much... That honestly was so beautifully done.

Then we got an epic fight scene, I'm always down for it, it has been quite some time since I saw an anime with action packed theme, so I have totally missed this. Seeing him getting his revenge on the Yakuza, that abused him for his whole life, led to his father's death, and ended up killing him and Pochita in the end too, was really satisfying (although I do condone violence, they were simply Devils at that point, so I see no problem here), and the voice acting here was crazy, I really need to see what is his voice actor, because I feel like I have heard him before.
Then I wondered if the protagonist would now always live with a chainsaw in his head, but I quickly got an answer, when the devil hunters got there, and the female one hugged him (already one of his goals achieved), and he transformed back to his human form. It seems like he is not obligated to join the Devil hunters, but honestly, it seems it's going to be good for him, because he will finally be able to eat his bread with jam =)
I supposed these devil hunters are the rest of the crew that showed up in the intro. The intro seemed a bit spoilerish, but I think it's only for the 1st episode.
With the end of the episode, I was begging for more, and thankfully I can just watch the rest of the anime, because the 1st season is already all out, since I wouldn't be able to handle 1 week of waiting between episodes. Tomorrow I'm watching the 2nd episode already!
I really loved this 1st episode, and my expectations are really high for the rest of the season, especially when you consider this anime's high ranking, and how much I saw people talking about it online, the hype it had even before release, and how I saw everyone cosplaying it when I went to an anime convention back in the fall of 2022.

I now have 2 questions. One of them is how was the main character living with a single slice of bread a day, but still got a 6 pack. Like, the boy should have no muscle on his body at that point. Anime characters are always blessed with muscles I'm afraid xD

The 2nd question, and most important one: ARE WE GOING TO SEE MORE OF POCHITA? Because with this, it seems like Pochita kind of died to give the protagonist a chance to live, and that's extremely sad, because I wanted more interactions between the 2 :((((((
I NEED MORE POCHITA, AND I HOPE HE APPEARS FREQUENTLY ON THE EPISODES. But I wonder how they will show him, maybe in the protagonists conscience, since Pochita is inside him?

Anyways, amazing start of an anime, and the protagonist and Pochita deserved better. Can't wait for episode 2!

Edit: Forgot to mention, the ending of the anime seems really good, have to listen to it more times, but I was bit let down with the opening, didn't really vibe with it, but it might grow in me, let's see.

2nd Edit: This episode was really the liberation of Denji (from the Yakuza and his miserable life) and also of Pochita

Final Edit: Forgot to mention this beginning reminded me a bit of Tokyo Ghoul, but Chainsaw Man did this in such an incredible way, it's amazing!
PokefanPTApr 25, 12:33 PM
May 2, 11:02 PM
Sep 2020
denji :")) <333 also selling body parts is a crazy opening
pochita :'(
Pages (54) « First ... « 52 53 [54]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 1, 2022

783 by xriceball26 »»
May 7, 4:21 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 27, 2022

983 by EinTheVariance »»
May 6, 5:54 PM

» Why wasn't it 24 episodes? ( 1 2 )

Leon888 - Apr 9

55 by Naveen6662246 »»
May 5, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 20, 2022

388 by PokefanPT »»
May 4, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 13, 2022

312 by PokefanPT »»
May 4, 10:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.