Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 23, 2022 11:03 AM
Jun 2016
did this anime or those 3 movies cut something major/ important parts from the manga?

which should i watch anime or movie?
(i wont be watching that 2016 sequel)

what i'm trying to do is i was thinking maybe i can watch the anime or movie and start collecting berserk from where they leave the story in anime or movie.
Sep 23, 2022 11:28 AM
Oct 2020
Watch anime first. Then read berserk from the *very beginning.*
1997 anime has most of the important stuff but the manga equivalent is still worth reading for extra depth and the fantastic art. Plus black swordsman at the beginning and 97 cutting some things would result in confusion if you went from 97 right to where it leaves off in the manga.
The movies cut out a lot of things and it hampered the quality of the characters and the story. The movies are optional viewing in my opinion. A good watch if you’re already familiar with the story. Not a good starting point.
However, it seems like the upcoming TV memorial edition of the movies will remedy some of that.
So basically, watch the 1997 anime, it’s a good starting point if you don’t yet want to start the manga, then read the manga from the beginning. Watch the movies if you want as long as you watched 1997 first.
Sep 23, 2022 11:58 AM
Sep 2021
AMAN2410 said:
did this anime or those 3 movies cut something major/ important parts from the manga?

what i'm trying to do is i was thinking maybe i can watch the anime or movie and start collecting berserk from where they leave the story in anime or movie.

The 97 adaptation is decent but it does skip some parts. And even if it didn’t skip anything I still think that reading it from the beginning is the best choice. Berserk is just so good that it’s 100% wort to collect all volumes and have the physical version of the story. Now I understand that it might be hard to find the volumes, especially the first ones (even the first deluxe versions tend to sell rather quickly) and obviously collecting a manga as massive as berserk is very expensive but it’s literally the best manga ever so if you got money to waste, start collecting it (take it slow though. Obviously you should only buy when you have money to waste)
Sep 23, 2022 12:47 PM
Jan 2021
All anime adaptations the 97, movies and 2016, skip almoat everything from the first 4 volumes, except for part of ch 1 and 2. The movies cut even more then the 97. But 97 ends earlier then rhe movies that conclude the eclipse.

So it definitely is best to read everything from beginning so all details and important character development won't be list.
Sep 23, 2022 12:48 PM
Struggler

Dec 2020
Both definitely skip things for sure. '97 and the Trilogy also cover the exact same story arc. I'm of the mind that '97 and the Trilogy both have some solid stuff going on but are lacking in areas; it's also interesting because they have different weaknesses/strengths imo that contrast each other.

Both are decent and worth a watch, but are also quite flawed. If you want the complete amazing Berserk experience there's really nowhere to get that atm other than the manga.

The 2016/2017 show continues the story past Golden Age, the arc the first two adaptations cover, but it's a disaster. 2016/2017 is by far the worst adaptation of the 3, and honestly a disgrace to the IP of Berserk. It can be fun to watch a little bit of to laugh at how bad it is however.
Rand_al-ThorfinnSep 27, 2022 10:59 PM

Sep 23, 2022 1:44 PM

Aug 2017
do yourself a favor and read the entire manga, it is well worth of your time and its the only medium to experience the full story
also, once you've finishe it its DONE so don't breeze 40 years of content in few days - take your time to fully enjoy it
"For what purpose is man born into this world. What purpose in life should he strive for. Is it chance that he meet those that become dear to him? what is the furture of mankind? All answers flow in the river of destiny... The promised time has come"
Sep 23, 2022 2:28 PM
May 2021
If you don’t like old looking anime do not watch it lmao. I recommend watching the movies first then read berserk from the beginning. The starts are completely different
Sep 23, 2022 6:07 PM
Mar 2021
This anime is better then the movies. That’s the majority consensus. However, just make sure u read the manga from the start (and don’t skip the parts you’ve already seen).

Your best bet would prob just be reading the manga. This is still a very good adaptation of 1 arc though
Sep 24, 2022 5:32 AM

Apr 2017
Yes, they cut out a lot of stuff, especially the movies. Watch the '97 series, and read the manga from the first chapter.
Sep 24, 2022 11:03 PM
Dec 2021
AMAN2410 said:

They cut out the wyladd arc which is one of the arcs that set up the apostles and Griffith being evil as well as hyping up zodd and showing that guts needed to grow to be able to fight / survive against apostles. They likely cut it cause most of wyladd’s stuff is pretty graphic (rape, mutilation, etc)
Sep 25, 2022 1:08 AM
Jan 2021
I originally read till the end of the Golden Age Arc then watched the 97’ anime. I skipped the movies but the only one that would be worth watching is the 3rd. 2016 Berserk you should avoid entirely imo. Choose whether you wanna read or watch first. I think watching it gives you a good sound of the voiced character to use in your head. I prefer the dub over sub of the anime.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 8 Discussion

Zell182 - Aug 4, 2009

43 by Lun4t1cc »»
May 13, 4:53 AM

» Berserk Golden Age Sequel

18927 - Apr 21

22 by eaten-apple »»
Apr 22, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Friendlysoul - Mar 11, 2008

513 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 12, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

76 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 12, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

78 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 11:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.