Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 14, 2022 10:28 PM
Apr 2020
For many years, it was unanimously believed that the mess that is Tokyo Ghoul √A was solely Studio Pierrot's fault. And there were a few reasons why people believed it.

Studio Pierrot has a mixed reputation for having produced anime such as Naruto, Boruto, Bleach, Kingdom, and Black Clover. These anime would often be criticised for several reasons such as sub-par animation and visual quality, excessive filler episodes, pacing issues and more. Because of the general media perception that animation studios matter the most when judging anime, it's easy to see why Pierrot is constantly discussed when talking about the Tokyo Ghoul anime.

Also, after Tokyo Ghoul √A finished airing, Sui Ishida's drafts of √A were released online and circulated rapidly among the anime community. To everyone's dismay, the drafts were very, very different that what was shown in the anime. Scenes like Kaneki proclaiming that he will kill the One-Eyed King, Touka seeing Rize in Anteiku's basement, and Tatara forcing Kaneki to eat Taguchi did not make it to the anime.

Here are the links to the drafts I managed to find:
https://sunset-tower.tumblr.com/post/129424575942/thank-you-so-much-for-you-post-about-the-anime
https://sunset-tower.tumblr.com/post/129418629852/ishidas-root-a-storyboard-drafts-are-so-fun-to
https://sunset-tower.tumblr.com/post/129451544167/how-does-tatara-make-kaneki-to-eat-her-corpse-and

This led to the anime-manga community creating the narrative that Pierrot ignored Ishida's drafts of √A when making the anime. One anituber even made a rant video about the drafts, which I think accelerated the narrative even more.

However, this cannot be further from the truth as there was an interview with Shuhei Morita (Director of Tokyo Ghoul S1 and S2) in 2018, around the same time as the Tokyo Ghoul :re anime was airing.

Link to interview: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/88fddm/im_shuhei_morita_the_director_of_anime_series/

Before I talk about the interview, I needed to clarify a few things about the nature of √A. When √A was announced after Season 1 aired, it was advertised as a season based on Ishida's original story concept that deviates from the manga. The drafts are proof of this because they showed scenes that were not in the manga.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-11/tokyo-ghoul-2nd-anime-season-video-teases-new-story-by-creator/.79825

The reason why I am saying this is that a major criticism about √A is it not following the manga, whereas it was Ishida himself who wanted √A to deviate from the manga. However, the anime-manga community largely blamed this decision on Pierrot because of the animation studio stigma. So if you are unhappy with the fact that √A deviated from the manga, then blame it on Ishida, not Pierrot, even if you respect him.

Back to the interview. Basically, Morita stated that the reason why the anime was different from the drafts is that the producers interfered with the original vision. To understand what he means, we need to talk about the production committee. The majority of the anime-manga community believes that the animation studio is generally responsible for how a work is adapted. This is not the case most of the time, as it's the production committee (manga publishers, merch, TV companies etc.) that decides that.

In the case of Tokyo Ghoul √A, here are the main producers:
  • Marvelous
  • TC Entertainment
  • Pierrot
Now you are probably thinking: "Pierrot is on the production committee so they should have some responsibility in how the √A story was handled". However, that is not the case. Pierrot is ranked at the bottom of the list so they really have little say in the decision-making; they simply do what other producers ordered them to do.

Back to the topic, Morita wanted to follow Ishida's drafts, but the producers' interference prevented Ishida and Morita's vision of √A come to fruition. This could be because the producers find Ishida's original story to be risker than the manga story in that it may not make a lot of money. The result was a mixture of anime-original and manga-canon scenes that didn't really make much sense.

My intent with this post is not to change your opinion on Tokyo Ghoul √A, but rather to bring light to a topic that is severely twisted by the anime-manga community for a very long time. Thank you for reading.

This post was largely inspired by these 2 posts:
https://twitter.com/Namaryuu/status/1494343939557675009
https://twitter.com/dotdotKam/status/1492920227104837633
LLBirdJan 29, 2023 6:12 PM
Sep 14, 2022 10:48 PM
Jul 2022
Anyone gonna read that essay?
Sep 14, 2022 10:51 PM
Jan 2022
SomeguyBlaze said:

Nah I'm fine (character limit)
Sep 14, 2022 10:57 PM
Apr 2022
LLBird said:
For many years, it was unanimously believed that the mess that is Tokyo Ghoul √A was solely Studio Pierrot's fault. And there were a few reasons why people believed it.

Studio Pierrot has a mixed reputation for having produced anime such as Naruto, Boruto, Bleach, Kingdom, and Black Clover. These anime would often be criticised for several reasons such as sub-par animation and visual quality, excessive filler episodes, pacing issues and more. Because of the general media perception that animation studios matter the most when judging anime, it's easy to see why Pierrot is constantly discussed when talking about the Tokyo Ghoul anime.

Also, after Tokyo Ghoul √A finished airing, Sui Ishida's drafts of √A were released online and circulated rapidly among the anime community. To everyone's dismay, the drafts were very, very different that what was shown in the anime. Scenes like Kaneki proclaiming that he will kill the One-Eyed King, Touka seeing Rize in Anteiku's basement, and Tatara forcing Kaneki to eat Taguchi did not make it to the anime.

Here are the links to the drafts I managed to find:
https://sunset-tower.tumblr.com/post/129424575942/thank-you-so-much-for-you-post-about-the-anime
https://sunset-tower.tumblr.com/post/129418629852/ishidas-root-a-storyboard-drafts-are-so-fun-to
https://sunset-tower.tumblr.com/post/129451544167/how-does-tatara-make-kaneki-to-eat-her-corpse-and

This led to the anime-manga community creating the narrative that Pierrot ignored Ishida's drafts of √A when making the anime. One anituber even made a rant video about the drafts, which I think accelerated the narrative even more.

However, this cannot be further from the truth as there was an interview with Shuhei Morita (Director of Tokyo Ghoul S1 and S2) in 2018, around the same time as the Tokyo Ghoul :re anime was airing.

Link to interview: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/88fddm/im_shuhei_morita_the_director_of_anime_series/

Before I talk about the interview, I needed to clarify a few things about the nature of √A. When √A was announced after Season 1 aired, it was advertised as a season based on Ishida's original story concept that deviates from the manga. The drafts are proof of this because they showed scenes that were not in the manga.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-11/tokyo-ghoul-2nd-anime-season-video-teases-new-story-by-creator/.79825

The reason why I am saying this is that a major criticism about √A is it not following the manga, whereas it was Ishida himself who wanted √A to deviate from the manga. However, the anime-manga community largely blamed this decision on Pierrot because of the animation studio stigma. So if you are unhappy with the fact that √A deviated from the manga, then blame it on Ishida, not Pierrot, even if you respect him.

Back to the interview. Basically, Morita stated that the reason why the anime was different from the drafts is that the producers interfered with the original vision. To understand what he means, we need to talk about the production committee. The majority of the anime-manga community believes that the animation studio is generally responsible for how a work is adapted. This is not the case most of the time, as it's the production committee (manga publishers, merch, TV companies etc.) that decides that.

In the case of Tokyo Ghoul √A, here are the main producers:
  • Shueisha
  • Marvelous
  • TC Entertainment
  • Pierrot
Now you are probably thinking: "Pierrot is on the production committee so they should have some responsibility in how the √A story was handled". However, that is not the case. Pierrot is ranked at the bottom of the list so they really have little say in the decision-making; they simply do what other producers ordered them to do.

Back to the topic, Morita wanted to follow Ishida's drafts, but the producers' interference prevented Ishida and Morita's vision of √A come to fruition. This could be because the producers find Ishida's original story to be risker than the manga story in that it may not make a lot of money. The result was a mixture of anime-original and manga-canon scenes that didn't really make much sense.

My intent with this post is not to change your opinion on Tokyo Ghoul √A, but rather to bring light to a topic that is severely twisted by the anime-manga community for a very long time. Thank you for reading.

This post was largely inspired by these 2 posts:
https://twitter.com/Namaryuu/status/1494343939557675009
https://twitter.com/dotdotKam/status/1492920227104837633

I admire you for writing such a big paragraph will consider reading it
Sep 14, 2022 10:57 PM
Apr 2022
SomeguyBlaze said:

I will cause I'm a TG fan.....there might something imp
Sep 14, 2022 11:05 PM

Dec 2020
So basically the production committee f*cked the anime and not the studio? aight got it.
Sep 14, 2022 11:08 PM
Jan 2021
Okay but who asked
Sep 14, 2022 11:09 PM

May 2017
Huge respect for taking the time to write all this and also giving proof. More people need to understand that the production comittee have more power that the actual studio.
Sep 14, 2022 11:10 PM

Jul 2015
The funniest thing is that exact same thing happened later in 2018 with RE.

Sep 14, 2022 11:19 PM
Aug 2021
it's been years we all know what happened not only tg√A but with tg:re as well as tg:re 2nd season
Sep 14, 2022 11:22 PM
Apr 2020
Piromysl said:
The funniest thing is that exact same thing happened later in 2018 with RE.
Kinda yeah, in that the production committee wanted the :re anime to adapt 179 chapters in 24 episodes, since the manga was going to end around the same time the anime is airing.
Sep 14, 2022 11:25 PM
Jul 2021
You have my respect bro
Sep 14, 2022 11:48 PM
Sep 2021
SomeguyBlaze said:

Well he’s making good points and provides a lot of evidence to back up the things he’s saying so yeah reading it will not take you more than 30 seconds
Sep 14, 2022 11:55 PM

May 2022
too long; did read

additional thanks for providing sources
Sep 15, 2022 12:38 AM
Oct 2021
SomeguyBlaze said:

I did because I'm a huge tokyo ghoul fan
Sep 15, 2022 12:52 AM
Jun 2022
SomeguyBlaze said:

I am not energetic enough to read it.
Sep 15, 2022 1:03 AM
Oct 2021
ImmortalRecon said:
Okay but who asked

Okay, but who asked
Sep 15, 2022 2:44 AM
Oct 2019
Just reboot it bro 🙏
Sep 15, 2022 3:04 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
I’m still mad about root A to this day. I’m an anime only and way back when I absolutely adored the first season, but root A was one of the worst pieces of shit I ever had the misfortune of watching, I remember yelling shit at the screen like a lunatic, stuff like “who’s that!?” or “what is this place!?” because nothing made sense, was properly explained or built up, shit was boring and vague, up until something happened with no apparent reason, I hated it so much and it soured the franchise for me.

Some of what you wrote I knew but some was news to me (like the production committee mandate), thanks for taking the time to make this thread.
Sep 15, 2022 3:18 AM

May 2021
Root A was my favorite season.
My Candies:

Bonus:
Sep 15, 2022 3:54 AM
Mar 2021
Ain’t nobody reading all of that lol
Sep 15, 2022 7:53 AM
Apr 2020
SomeguyBlaze said:

hell no ain't got no time for reading all a that for a mid anime
Sep 15, 2022 9:34 AM
Jun 2021
I didn’t mind root A *that* much, it was re and re 2nd Season that bothered me most
Sep 15, 2022 10:17 AM

Jun 2021
thanks
ya hav my respect
deep fried lettuce

^i snitched this from a dude's forum signature^

Sep 15, 2022 1:49 PM
Feb 2022
nicely put. anime is sadly on one side a business and this type of things happen to adaptations
Sep 15, 2022 4:29 PM
Mar 2021
So who gonna read it then give us a summarized version?
Sep 15, 2022 10:49 PM
Oct 2014
Great write up and interesting information. Sorry for everyone in this thread who can’t read.
Sep 16, 2022 7:48 AM
Jan 2021
fantastic writing, love the links too! sorry that everyone is unable to read and wants to make it known theyre unable to lol but this was rly good! gave me new insight to root a for sure
Sep 17, 2022 3:07 AM
Apr 2021
From my 30 second reading im pretty sure you are juat defending pierrot lol
Sep 17, 2022 12:37 PM

May 2021
I kinda enjoyed root a but re: made me suicidal
Sep 18, 2022 1:07 AM

May 2015
LLBird said:
if you are unhappy with the fact that √A deviated from the manga, then blame it on Ishida

You literally say a couple lines later that it's the fault of the production committee, why would I blame Ishida when he's not the one who decided that they would only make a single cour? If anything he seems to have tried to make it the least terrible it could possibly be.

@betaweeb You should really try reading the manga from the beginning if you loved the first season that much
Sep 18, 2022 3:29 AM
Apr 2020
El-Melloi said:
LLBird said:
if you are unhappy with the fact that √A deviated from the manga, then blame it on Ishida

You literally say a couple lines later that it's the fault of the production committee, why would I blame Ishida when he's not the one who decided that they would only make a single cour? If anything he seems to have tried to make it the least terrible it could possibly be.

You are absolutely correct in saying that Ishida (and Morita) tried their best to make √A the least terrible it could possibly be. However, I wasn't saying that Ishida wanted √A to have 12 eps. I was saying that Ishida wanted √A to not follow the manga, which was news even before √A aired in 2015. However, manga readers complained about √A not following the manga and blamed Pierrot for it without knowing the person who suggested it in the first place.

Sep 18, 2022 8:39 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
El-Melloi said:
LLBird said:

@betaweeb You should really try reading the manga from the beginning if you loved the first season that much

i might do that at some point.
Sep 24, 2022 1:32 PM
Apr 2017
Interesting. Thank you for the info. It's honestly quite typical the producers cock blocked Ishida like that.
Sep 25, 2022 3:14 PM
Mar 2018
Amazing post was always confused where they went wrong this did a great job at clearing it up.

More topics from this board

» This season was amazing, no cap.

GoatPieceLuffy - May 30

35 by _fumetsu »»
Yesterday, 9:40 AM

Poll: » overhated?

FruitPunchBaka - May 22

34 by AriKitaruKatoka »»
May 28, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

760 by lunathecatxx »»
May 11, 5:47 AM

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

38 by lunathecatxx »»
May 11, 5:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.