Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 14, 2022 3:01 PM

Feb 2018
Ok, just this past week I finally finished this series (despite watching the first two episodes and liking it a lot around 2006) and I liked it, liked how these personas are very broken but still try to endure it and best themselves even if it is just a little but I can't help notice some flaws with the ending.

The message
Most of the characters overcame their difficulties, or made them more bearable, by finding some other person.

Sato found peace in Mizaki and so did she in him.
Yamazaki found peace in his new situation by actually finding a fiancee that understood him.
Hitomi found peace in having a child (more than having a husbando)

That's 4 characters out of 5. Someone having trouble making friend may feel even more depressed by not finding some else in which you find peace and that makes you improve could be a barrier to high, now more than ever (with studies signaling that people are making less friends). I'm not saying this series sidelines self-improvement, but makes a big deal on depending on others for personal growth.

The recycling of ideas
Man, the series had already dealt with suicide and overcoming the hikikomori status by starvation and here we are on the last episode re-threading the same plot devices. It wasn't bad per se, but it made feel less impactful the second time.

It aged poorly, I guess... but it could change
So, one of the main subjects in the series (at least on the surface) was exiting the hikikomori status. In the end, the series had not only one, but two hikikomori freeing themselves by suffering starvation.
I tried researching (just a little), and I've read some Hikikomori still live like that (more that 20 years after this series was written). I tried searching if there are hikikomoris leaving that status by starvation, and didn't find much. Some are prettending their parents are alive to keep their pensions, others depends on NGO to live, and others have their old parents still caring for them.

I say the ending perception could change once we approach 2030, which is the time this ticking boom on Japan society will implode.

Anyway, thats my rant on this old anime which at times felt like a time capsule for me.
Sep 14, 2022 3:36 PM
Mar 2021
The manga played out the end where it was more satisfying I felt like and the second suicide attempt I thought was good cause realistically if you were in that state speaking from personal experience kinda you most likely attempt it more then once personally I thought that the show was a masterpiece and and the characters and their development were very realistic
Sep 14, 2022 3:57 PM

Feb 2016
truth999 said:
The manga played out the end where it was more satisfying I felt like and the second suicide attempt I thought was good cause realistically if you were in that state speaking from personal experience kinda you most likely attempt it more then once personally I thought that the show was a masterpiece and and the characters and their development were very realistic

I think with this one, like a lot of heavier anime with deeper messages, you kind of have to be in the right state of mind to TRULY understand the message and have it resonate with you. I'm not saying you have to be a hopeless hikkikomori to "get" the show, but your're also not going to get the same meaning out of it if you've never experienced that kind of crippling depression, vs someone who has.
Sep 14, 2022 6:54 PM
Sep 2019
I think it's extremely important for most people to rely on others for self improvement. Obviously we have to do the heavy lifting ourselves, but it is insanely difficult to do it without support from a good friend, family member, or a community like a club or AA or a church or a good work place, whatever. Aligning yourself with people who are going where you want to be is one of the greatest things anyone can do for self improvement, IMO. And pretty much nobody is "self made".

I'm also not sure what the issue with leaving the hikikomori lifestyle is. I'm sure they'll continue to exist for a long time in the future. They exist in other places too. I don't think the show was trying to show them all getting better, rather that there are options. I personally loved the realism of the ending, with MC getting a regular old job to make ends meet and still working with his friend to improve himself outside of work. It wasn't comfy, it wasn't glamorous, his problems didn't disappear. He just made realistic decisions and moved forward.

All of that being said, I totally agree that it's a time capsule. A nostalgic one for me, but I imagine it won't age the best with younger audiences.
Sep 16, 2022 12:54 PM

Feb 2018
Nyamaste said:
I think it's extremely important for most people to rely on others for self improvement. Obviously we have to do the heavy lifting ourselves, but it is insanely difficult to do it without support from a good friend, family member, or a community like a club or AA or a church or a good work place, whatever.

Yep, I agree with that, but on the same note, in this series family members contribute to the characters problems, let me elaborate more on my original message: Most of the characters overcame their difficulties, or made them more bearable, by finding some other person other than their parents or brothers/sisters which is more sad, cuz most Hikikomoris or persons on depression, that's mostly what they have or mostly who is supporting them.

Sato had their lax-parent financially support that toxic lifestyle, contributing to his despair.
Mizaki had her mother contribute to her despair by pairing with a wrongman and exiting that situation. Her aunt and uncle weren't enough support, sadly.
Yamazaki had his parents plan his whole life which made him despair (but in the end they also had him meet his soulmate, cheers for that).
Hitomi were MIA during the whole series, even in her suicide attempt (did they mention why? I can't recall).
Kobayashi was in despair because of her brother, and in turn his brother was a Hikkikomori because she supported his lifestyle; you could say they found betterness by cutting loose that bond.

I'm just saying, you could also interpret the ending this way. Not that is bad, it's pretty deep anime, which could extend discussion on many layers, even today. I couldn't resist applying the Socratic method to the ending.
Sep 20, 2022 5:55 AM
Jul 2021
I mean I feel like most people liked the ending because it was sort of depressing. If you think About it misaki and satous relationship is pretty toxic and unhealthy since she only got close to him because she Saw him as being beneath her and didn’t actually care about him, she wants him to be dependent and could really care less if he got better or not. Eventually she’ll most likely move on once she’s done using satou just like everyone else in his life, hitomi only used him as a shoulder to cry on and yamasaki had nothing Better to do. The thing is they didn’t find their right person but are settling and moving forward which is what most people have to do in life, they’re making the most out of a bad situation.

More topics from this board

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 2, 2017

639 by venbals »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SunSir - Mar 2, 2008

144 by venbals »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DarkBlue - Feb 7, 2008

314 by venbals »»
May 29, 12:42 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kie_ - Sep 5, 2008

128 by venbals »»
May 29, 12:18 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kie_ - Sep 4, 2008

133 by venbals »»
May 28, 11:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.