Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 13, 2022 1:56 PM

Apr 2012
Am I the only one confused that this show is in about 7 gay stacks even though it's just a regular Shonen Jump sports show? I'm aware of slash shipping and stuff, but increasingly I find the prevalence of such shows in gay stacks to be very misleading. The situation with all-female/female MC shows and similar lists is obviously worse.
Sep 13, 2022 2:16 PM
Jan 2021
Like MHA, Haikyu has quite a few of fans that like to ship the male characters together for some reason.
Sep 13, 2022 2:20 PM

Apr 2012
Oremonogatari said:
Like MHA, Haikyu has quite a few of fans that like to ship the male characters together for some reason.

There is no particular problem in the shipping itself. It confuses me that quite a few stacks mark this as a gay bait because of this.
Sep 13, 2022 2:30 PM

Mar 2020
Main reason as to why I look at the tags instead of what people thinks of a show. While there are some shows that has either BL/GL that can be assumed from the context but the authors limits it to "friendship" (as for example, Madoka Magica imo), people kinda thought that this could also apply to other shows such as this one. I respect their likings and all, but saying or putting something like Haikyuu (or any other anime) on the "yaoi" genre while it obviously isn't... pretty much it explains by itself.

Also I'm not sure if those stacks are friends-only, parody or whatever, so I can't really say much about it

❝Only you can save yourself.❞
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Sep 13, 2022 2:33 PM
Aug 2020
i wouldn’t call it bl bait since it’s such a standard sports anime. the character relationships are really easy to read into as classic bl tropes though, hence all of the shipping (a classic side effect of sports anime)
Sep 13, 2022 2:38 PM
Nov 2017
people that ship fictional characters should spontaneously combust
Sep 13, 2022 2:40 PM
Aug 2020
BetterBegoneThot said:
Main reason as to why I look at the tags instead of what people thinks of a show. While there are some shows that has either BL/GL that can be assumed from the context but the authors limits it to "friendship" (as for example, Madoka Magica imo), people kinda thought that this could also apply to other shows such as this one. I respect their likings and all, but saying or putting something like Haikyuu (or any other anime) on the "yaoi" genre while it obviously isn't... pretty much it explains by itself.

Also I'm not sure if those stacks are friends-only, parody or whatever, so I can't really say much about it

big agree on looking at the tags for whether or not a show is actually bl/gl (though i am in the boat of viewing madoka magica as gl, it’s just more of an action fantasy genre with romance on the side)
Sep 13, 2022 2:55 PM

Apr 2012
librawitch said:
BetterBegoneThot said:

big agree on looking at the tags for whether or not a show is actually bl/gl (though i am in the boat of viewing madoka magica as gl, it’s just more of an action fantasy genre with romance on the side)

It never had a canon romance, but people in the west didn't really care about it because weebs ignores anything that doesn't have a canon explanation.

librawitch said:
i wouldn’t call it bl bait since it’s such a standard sports anime. the character relationships are really easy to read into as classic bl tropes though, hence all of the shipping (a classic side effect of sports anime)

There is a difference between shipping googles and "easy to read". I remember people trying hard to read Blue Exorcist as a twincest. But it will never be unironic to label this as BL incest.

BetterBegoneThot said:

This mainly happens for two reasons. Unintentional when people grossly ignore the Asian understanding of friendship and intentional when people take fanservice too seriously. Well, the problem is that Western audiences still confuse hints and teasing.
Sep 13, 2022 3:06 PM

May 2017
Maybe some gay people believe they're being reasonably represented πŸ˜†πŸ˜† which is personally fine! The characters are not canon gay, but fans will ship them. If you are concerned, you can always message those who created the stacks and ask? or potentially argue if you really think it's unfair to include a show that does not have any canon gay characters in their BL stack list
Sep 13, 2022 3:08 PM

Aug 2021
RobertBobert said:
Am I the only one confused that this show is in about 7 gay stacks even though it's just a regular Shonen Jump sports show? I'm aware of slash shipping and stuff, but increasingly I find the prevalence of such shows in gay stacks to be very misleading. The situation with all-female/female MC shows and similar lists is obviously worse.

Don't forget that the predominant Fanbase of sports anime with boys are fujoshis, they are the "special" target audience, so it's not strange that humans involved in the production of the anime or even the manga itself, put fanservice for them. The producers of sports anime are not silly, they know their target audience and how to cater to it...Making pretty boys sweating with other pretty boys.

Sep 13, 2022 3:13 PM

Apr 2012
demision said:
Maybe some gay people believe they're being reasonably represented πŸ˜†πŸ˜† which is personally fine! The characters are not canon gay, but fans will ship them. If you are concerned, you can always message those who created the stacks and ask? or potentially argue if you really think it's unfair to include a show that does not have any canon gay characters in their BL stack list

I tried a couple of times to write to people about this. For example, when I found a stack about "aromantic characters", which included several romantic shows. Getting my feedback was like trying to bring a bible to a gay pride parade.

Absurdo_N said:
RobertBobert said:

Don't forget that the predominant Fanbase of sports anime with boys are fujoshis, they are the "special" target audience, so it's not strange that humans involved in the production of the anime or even the manga itself, put fanservice for them. The producers of sports anime are not silly, they know their target audience and how to cater to it...Making pretty boys sweating with other pretty boys.

Everything has its limit. I can understand the weirdos who think that children's shoujo shows are yuri because of the frequent all-female promotion. But labeling a shonen show as gay or potential gay because you enjoy ship guys with each other is still misleading.
Sep 13, 2022 4:06 PM

Aug 2021
RobertBobert said:
demision said:

I tried a couple of times to write to people about this. For example, when I found a stack about "aromantic characters", which included several romantic shows. Getting my feedback was like trying to bring a bible to a gay pride parade.

Absurdo_N said:

Everything has its limit. I can understand the weirdos who think that children's shoujo shows are yuri because of the frequent all-female promotion. But labeling a shonen show as gay or potential gay because you enjoy ship guys with each other is still misleading.

Labeling a work a genre it's not is not cool, even if there's a lot of fanservice... Well, I think it's okay for them to label a show as gay in their headcanons as long as they don't fight over claiming it's canon.

Sep 13, 2022 4:13 PM
Jan 2020
do love controversy or something
Sep 13, 2022 5:55 PM
Jul 2022
RobertBobert said:
Oremonogatari said:

There is no particular problem in the shipping itself. It confuses me that quite a few stacks mark this as a gay bait because of this.

Again, there isn’t a problem with shipping itself, but another with gay fetishization and queer baiting that’s common within popular animes with *those* fans-
Sep 13, 2022 6:15 PM

Mar 2019
You really went through all the interest stacks for this anime and counted all the ones that had the words gay or queer. Or you searched for "gay stacks" and individually singled out Haikyuu!. Either way the devotion put into this forum is impressive.
KumiveneellaSep 13, 2022 6:55 PM
Sep 13, 2022 6:17 PM
Sep 2021
I mean people still unironically think that Banana fish is a BL anime so πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Sep 13, 2022 6:25 PM
Sep 2021
I think some Haikyuu fans really need to step out of the fandom and watch the show again, it is seriously ruining their experiences. I have nothing against finding queer representation in characters that are not explicitly stated, but some people take their shipping and fandom view too far to the point they try to shove it to other viewers.
We talk a lot about the BNHA fandom being bad, but Haikyuu is worse.
Sep 13, 2022 7:08 PM
Jan 2022
It’s not even bait. They’re just friends who are both guys, how could people think this was a BL bait😭
Sep 13, 2022 7:10 PM

Oct 2014
The two MCs have good chemistry so I think a lot of viewers just have them being gay for each other in their mind even if nothing in the show actually implies it.
Sep 13, 2022 8:34 PM
Jul 2022
Though Haikyuu ships are definitely less and better than MHA
Sep 14, 2022 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
The funny thing is that many girls (mainly) cannot comprehend the concept of male friendship. It has to be gay for some reason. Especially in Haikyuu, there's no indication of homo - no hugs, no holding hands, no affectionate looks, no corny exchange of words, no differences in power dynamics that could hint sexual desire, no naked representations. Playing sports with people of your own sex is universal, a daily occurance. Some fans have the ridiculous argument that "they're handsome and be together all the time". So what?

With that being said, my problem is not shipping. In fact, I'm guilty of shipping couples to every anime but I'm not deluded. My problem is promoting the anime (in this case Haikyuu) as a bl representation. Let's say that a straight man who likes sports sees this... won't he be turned off? He'll drop it and encourage his acquaintances to do so too, and spread misinformation. I've seen it happening before with Haikyuu.
Sep 14, 2022 1:36 AM

Mar 2015
Who decides what is BL bait or not?
Sep 14, 2022 2:39 AM

Apr 2012
say0rikinn1e said:
RobertBobert said:

Again, there isn’t a problem with shipping itself, but another with gay fetishization and queer baiting that’s common within popular animes with *those* fans-

This show has none of that.

Mirai said:

Nice try, Thomas Aquinas.

Absurdo_N said:
RobertBobert said:

Labeling a work a genre it's not is not cool, even if there's a lot of fanservice... Well, I think it's okay for them to label a show as gay in their headcanons as long as they don't fight over claiming it's canon.

People have forgotten that headcanon is a fan theory, not an excuse for fanfiction.
Sep 14, 2022 5:41 AM
Jul 2022
RobertBobert said:
say0rikinn1e said:

Mirai said:

Absurdo_N said:

People have forgotten that headcanon is a fan theory, not an excuse for fanfiction.

I do agree that the show isn’t a queer baiting show, but some fans see two male characters interact and decide it’s appropriate to ship them. At a certain it point, it gets pretty gross, especially when it’s made sexual…
Sep 14, 2022 5:52 AM

Apr 2012
say0rikinn1e said:
RobertBobert said:

I do agree that the show isn’t a queer baiting show, but some fans see two male characters interact and decide it’s appropriate to ship them. At a certain it point, it gets pretty gross, especially when it’s made sexual…

This has long ceased to need any reasons. People just say "they're so cute together", get addicted to the ship, and then at some point they just stop feeling the edge and start interpreting any character interaction as proof of the ship.
Sep 14, 2022 6:00 AM

Feb 2017
By now you should be aware that people into yuri and bl are by far some of the most delusional types of fans. Everyone is assumed to be gay and friendships don't exist. If they look at each other once, then they are into one another.
Sep 14, 2022 6:11 AM

Apr 2012
Tsarko said:
By now you should be aware that people into yuri and bl are by far some of the most delusional types of fans. Everyone is assumed to be gay and friendships don't exist. If they look at each other once, then they are into one another.

In that case, I'd better not look at the MHA stacks...
Sep 14, 2022 9:44 AM

Aug 2021
Saimatsu_Fan said:
I mean people still unironically think that Banana fish is a BL anime so πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Banana Fish might not be classified as Boys Love, but the author confirmed that Ash and Eiji's relationship was romantic...So it's not so wrong to call Banana Fish BL.

RobertBobert said:
say0rikinn1e said:

Mirai said:

Absurdo_N said:

But FanFictions are also part of headcanons like some types of fanarts or doujinshis. So I guess it's not an excuse for FanFictions after all FanFictions are just "fan" and "fiction". It's just written headcanons.
Absurdo_NSep 14, 2022 9:47 AM

Sep 14, 2022 9:44 AM

Apr 2012
Absurdo_N said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

Banana Fish might not be classified as Boys Love, but the author confirmed that Ash and Eiji's relationship was romantic...So it's not so wrong to call Banana Fish BL.

I don't remember her directly confirming it in this form. There has been speculation based on in-plot phrase "they may have been close as lovers", but these are fan readings. At the same time, she directly denied it in the past when the manga was ongoing.
Sep 14, 2022 9:47 AM

Apr 2012
Absurdo_N said:
RobertBobert said:

But FanFictions are also part of headcanons like some types of fanarts or doujinshis. So I guess it's not an excuse for FanFictions after all FanFictions are just "fan" and "fiction". It's just written headcanons.

You are confusing the context. When no one knows what the nature of the relationship is and some of the fans like to read it as gay, that's headcanon. But when you know in advance that the characters are just friends, but you read it as gay because you love BL, that's fanfiction. When someone writes doujinshi based on headcanon, that's a different story. But when it is originally the cause and root, it is a misuse.
Sep 14, 2022 9:53 AM

Aug 2021
RobertBobert said:
Absurdo_N said:

I don't remember her directly confirming it in this form. There has been speculation based on in-plot phrase "they may have been close as lovers", but these are fan readings. At the same time, she directly denied it in the past when the manga was ongoing.

I remember this, she denied it for a long time and then said it was pressure from the "publishers", but she still gave a common 80's BL ending to the manga...One of the boys dies...But I don't know if this is very useful information.

Sep 14, 2022 9:59 AM

Apr 2012
Absurdo_N said:
RobertBobert said:

I remember this, she denied it for a long time and then said it was pressure from the "publishers", but she still gave a common 80's BL ending to the manga...One of the boys dies...But I don't know if this is very useful information.

I don't know, she denied it even after releasing a completely open gay manga with gay and lesbian love stories. Perhaps this is due to the Urobuchi effect, when the author hints at platonic love, and the Western audience reads it as an asexual relationship.
Sep 14, 2022 10:03 AM

Aug 2021
RobertBobert said:
Absurdo_N said:

You are confusing the context. When no one knows what the nature of the relationship is and some of the fans like to read it as gay, that's headcanon. But when you know in advance that the characters are just friends, but you read it as gay because you love BL, that's fanfiction. When someone writes doujinshi based on headcanon, that's a different story. But when it is originally the cause and root, it is a misuse.

I don't know if I confused the context, but I believe I understand what you said. In my mere opinion I don't believe this is a "misuse", in the end it's just people writing FanFictions with beings that don't even exist and are just friends; so don't be bothered by them even if some force you to believe it's Canon.

[quote=RobertBobert message=67457757]
Absurdo_N said:
RobertBobert said:

I don't know, she denied it even after releasing a completely open gay manga with gay and lesbian love stories. Perhaps this is due to the Urobuchi effect, when the author hints at platonic love, and the Western audience reads it as an asexual relationship.

I think that might be it.
Absurdo_NSep 14, 2022 10:07 AM

Sep 14, 2022 10:07 AM

Apr 2012
Absurdo_N said:
RobertBobert said:

I don't know if I confused the context, but I believe I understand what you said. In my mere opinion I don't believe this is a "misuse", in the end it's just people writing FanFictions with beings that don't even exist and are just friends; so don't be bothered by them even if some force you to believe it's Canon.

I just think that when a person knows in advance that it is against canon, then calling it a theory is simply an attempt to rationalize their fantasies. For example, many people in the Seven Deadly Sins fandom know that Jericho is a cis girl, but they still call the trans male fantasy a "theory" to defend it from criticism.
Sep 14, 2022 10:16 AM

Aug 2021
RobertBobert said:
Absurdo_N said:

I just think that when a person knows in advance that it is against canon, then calling it a theory is simply an attempt to rationalize their fantasies. For example, many people in the Seven Deadly Sins fandom know that Jericho is a cis girl, but they still call the trans male fantasy a "theory" to defend it from criticism.

FanFictions/headcanons are one thing, theories are something else...I really don't think it's cool for people to deny a character's canonical gender if it's not for doujinshi, fanart (that sort of thing), I agree with you, that's not cool .

Sep 14, 2022 10:23 AM

Apr 2012
Absurdo_N said:
RobertBobert said:

FanFictions/headcanons are one thing, theories are something else...I really don't think it's cool for people to deny a character's canonical gender if it's not for doujinshi, fanart (that sort of thing), I agree with you, that's not cool .

I have been in a circle of people who fought against pseudoscience for too long, so false theories in advance make me allergic.
Sep 14, 2022 11:20 AM

Jan 2020
Afaik, this form of thinking is even more present when 2 female characters are together, because apparently 2 girls can’t only be “good friends” anymore. For example, I believe the female mcs in Lycoris Recoil are just friends, but all I see are pics of people shipping them.
Sep 14, 2022 12:04 PM

Apr 2012
Animillion said:
Afaik, this form of thinking is even more present when 2 female characters are together, because apparently 2 girls can’t only be “good friends” anymore. For example, I believe the female mcs in Lycoris Recoil are just friends, but all I see are pics of people shipping them.

If you watch gay stacks that include female shows, half or two thirds of them will just be shows about female friendship or camaraderie that are labeled as yuri bait because of the ships.
Sep 14, 2022 12:26 PM
Jul 2022
RobertBobert said:
say0rikinn1e said:

This has long ceased to need any reasons. People just say "they're so cute together", get addicted to the ship, and then at some point they just stop feeling the edge and start interpreting any character interaction as proof of the ship.

Of course, I have my own gay ships, and I do find myself agreeing that some ships are pretty cute, but some fans cross the lines of shipping and fetishization. The same way GL is fetishized by men, BL is fetishized by women, and others. Frankly, there’s a time and a place for shipping, but people who headcanon a certain thing shouldn’t be forcing it onto a completely unrelated anime. Especially one about minors. There are plenty of animes that are actually BL and deserve the rep.
Sep 14, 2022 12:34 PM

Apr 2012
say0rikinn1e said:
RobertBobert said:

Of course, I have my own gay ships, and I do find myself agreeing that some ships are pretty cute, but some fans cross the lines of shipping and fetishization. The same way GL is fetishized by men, BL is fetishized by women, and others. Frankly, there’s a time and a place for shipping, but people who headcanon a certain thing shouldn’t be forcing it onto a completely unrelated anime. Especially one about minors. There are plenty of animes that are actually BL and deserve the rep.

There is a running gag that any shipping bait show is much more popular than any actual gay show. And Yuru Yuri's victory in the poll for the most popular yuri in Yuri Hime proved it.
Sep 16, 2022 2:37 AM

Nov 2020
Oremonogatari said:

yeah it's a general problem in animanga

Sep 16, 2022 2:42 AM

Aug 2018
gay stacks? sounds kinda gay

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2014

125 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2014

140 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 12:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2014

176 by ANIk_003 »»
May 15, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

303 by isxelle »»
Apr 28, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.