Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 21, 2022 3:36 AM

Sep 2021
A cult following refers to a group of fans who are highly dedicated to some person, idea, object, movement, or work, often an artist, in particular a performing artist, or an artwork in some medium. The latter is often called a cult classic. A film, book, musical artist, television series, or video game, among other things, is said to have a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fanbase. A common component of cult followings is the emotional attachment the fans have to the object of the cult following, often identifying themselves and other fans as members of a community. Cult followings are also commonly associated with niche markets. Cult media are often associated with underground culture, and are considered too eccentric or subversive to be appreciated by the general public or to be commercially successful.

And i think that this anime deserves the title of "cult classic", because of the quality of the series:

-the jokes are mostly aimed towards the japanese audiences.
-the references are hardly to get it, similar to "The big bang theory" with its nerd-level gags.
-the japanese va is top notch, the reason why this anime is exclusively popular in japan, but not international (wishing from adult swim or comedy central to broadcast the series there in eng sub), and dubbing is impossible to replicate the quality acting.
-and the fandom here is chill, unlike most of the fandom *cough cough* MHA Fandom*cough cough*.

Yep, i approve this anime to have it's own "Cult classic".
What do you think?
I_Love_deezAug 21, 2022 3:52 AM
My name is Gustavo, But you can call me SUS!
Aug 21, 2022 3:42 AM

Jun 2016
Something like lotgh is more fitting. You say Gintama has a niche audience because it's aimed at a Japanese audience but isn't that the case for most anime? Also Japan is not a small market. Lotgh on the other hand has a smaller audience but not a tiny audience, just like most things people commonly described as "cult classics".
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 21, 2022 3:43 AM
Apr 2021
It deserves the title of #1 at the very least.

These "nerd-level gags" you speak of arw common knowledge to anyone who has watched a fair amount of anime.
Aug 21, 2022 3:51 AM

Sep 2021
Theo1899 said:
Something like lotgh is more fitting. You say Gintama has a niche audience because it's aimed at a Japanese audience but isn't that the case for most anime? Also Japan is not a small market. Lotgh on the other hand has a smaller audience but not a tiny audience, just like most things people commonly described as "cult classics".

Hmmmmm. Gotta watch lotgh to think, but for real, im not into star-trek like space opera. im more into comedy.
Aug 21, 2022 4:22 AM
Nov 2020
I am on the fence on this one. On one hand yes, it has a small enough following outside Japan and a high barrier of entry for a lot of people. On the other hand, it really is very popular in Japan and while there are only around 300 000-500 000 people having watched the series through its completion, the name and brand of Gintama is widely known, often appearing and disappearing from discussions.
Aug 21, 2022 4:24 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
I feel like you’re underestimating gintama’s popularity somewhat, I’d be more inclined to just call it a straight up classic, rather than a cult classic to be honest.

Also, its fandom is atrocious, don’t take this the wrong way, but almost every single gintama stan on these forums keep saying the same shit about how great they are and how toxic other fandoms are, at this point I’ve seen a lot more gintama fans boast and put others down, than I’ve actually seen academia fans and others be toxic themselves.
Aug 21, 2022 4:30 AM
Nov 2020
Anime I would consider as a cult classic is something like World Trigger. No one really knows about it since the firsts season is slow at first and the manga can't continue properly as the mangaka has wrist problems if I remember correctly. Regardless, the people who watched the show love it. It has a battle system many think is comparable or on par with the nen system in hunter x hunter. That and alongside intricate world building and complicated fights makes the show in engaging for a lot of viewers. The barrier of entry for this series is the fact that it is very exposition heavy like damn if you read some later manga chapters you'll understand what I mean.
Aug 21, 2022 4:36 AM
Nov 2020
betaweeb said:
I feel like you’re underestimating gintama’s popularity somewhat, I’d be more inclined to just call it a straight up classic, rather than a cult classic to be honest.

Also, its fandom is atrocious, don’t take this the wrong way, but almost every single gintama stan on these forums keep saying the same shit about how great they are and how toxic other fandoms are, at this point I’ve seen a lot more gintama fans boast and put others down, than I’ve actually seen academia fans and others be toxic themselves.

Really? I haven't seen those type of forums lately. Recently there was even a forum where someone was having a poll on whether South Park is not as great as Gintama and if Gintama is just Family Guy and South park is better and the majority voted on the latter. Either that's saying Gintama fans have reading comprehension issues or they think the show isn't that good (or I guess bots could be a probable reason but I digress).

Though I will say, especially back then, there are a handful of Gintama fans that just look down on other anime. But those where a handful in my experience. Again these are just my first hand experience and I haven't been that long here so I dunno what was like back then
Aug 21, 2022 4:41 AM

Jan 2020
If I remember correctly, gintama is huge in Japan, so I wouldn't call it a cult classic based on that.

it's like saying a show like only fools and horses is a cult classic because it's not to well known outside the UK.
Aug 21, 2022 4:44 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
Jay_Burson-510 said:
betaweeb said:

Really? I haven't seen those type of forums lately. Recently there was even a forum where someone was having a poll on whether South Park is not as great as Gintama and if Gintama is just Family Guy and South park is better and the majority voted on the latter. Either that's saying Gintama fans have reading comprehension issues or they think the show isn't that good (or I guess bots could be a probable reason but I digress).

Though I will say, especially back then, there are a handful of Gintama fans that just look down on other anime. But those where a handful in my experience. Again these are just my first hand experience and I haven't been that long here so I dunno what was like back then

Well these types of things are usually the work of a vocal minority, so of course I wasn’t referring to every gintama fan (for the most part I consider myself one), I also missed the thread you mentioned but it sounds pretty silly lol.

Mostly I see comments such as I mentioned in unrelated threads that talk about other fandoms or more general discussions and there’s always some gintama fanatic popping up with claims about how great they are, which is annoying as much as it is ironic.
Aug 21, 2022 4:46 AM

Sep 2021
betaweeb said:

At least we are chill when it comes to the animation quality of it. Remember the ms paint op, because it was an experience of the current arc about heavily breaking the 4th wall. And their infamous 24min bg only ep, it was annoying at first, but it was the only segment that I'm looking forward to because it's deep, and it heavily explains the anime market.
I_Love_deezAug 21, 2022 4:55 AM
Aug 21, 2022 5:01 AM
Nov 2020
I_Love_deez said:
betaweeb said:

At least we are chill when it comes to the animation quality of it. Remember the ms paint op, because it was an experience of the current arc about heavily breaking the 4th wall. And their infamous 24min bg only ep, it was annoying at first, but it was the only segment that I'm looking forward to because it's deep, and it heavily explains the anime market.

Yeah but some people take the fact that they are able to like things like that to think that they are better than other anime fans. Like Gintama has a bunch of those tropes those people are complaining about yet they are so deluded that Gintama is series nobody likes but them. Actually, I think that minority of Gintama fans can easily be compared to Rick and Morty fans which... you know what the lunatic ones are like. I could definitely see some of these "Gintama Stans" to say "well to be fair you need to have a very high iq to understand the intricacies of Gintama..." unironically.
Aug 21, 2022 6:55 AM
Jan 2020
Jay_Burson-510 said:
Anime I would consider as a cult classic is something like World Trigger. No one really knows about it since the firsts season is slow at first and the manga can't continue properly as the mangaka has wrist problems if I remember correctly. Regardless, the people who watched the show love it. It has a battle system many think is comparable or on par with the nen system in hunter x hunter. That and alongside intricate world building and complicated fights makes the show in engaging for a lot of viewers. The barrier of entry for this series is the fact that it is very exposition heavy like damn if you read some later manga chapters you'll understand what I mean.

Word Trigger is pretty popular in Japan tho
Aug 22, 2022 3:07 AM
Nov 2020
I_Love_deez said:
A cult following refers to a group of fans who are highly dedicated to some person, idea, object, movement, or work, often an artist, in particular a performing artist, or an artwork in some medium. The latter is often called a cult classic. A film, book, musical artist, television series, or video game, among other things, is said to have a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fanbase. A common component of cult followings is the emotional attachment the fans have to the object of the cult following, often identifying themselves and other fans as members of a community. Cult followings are also commonly associated with niche markets. Cult media are often associated with underground culture, and are considered too eccentric or subversive to be appreciated by the general public or to be commercially successful.

And i think that this anime deserves the title of "cult classic", because of the quality of the series:

-the jokes are mostly aimed towards the japanese audiences.
-the references are hardly to get it, similar to "The big bang theory" with its nerd-level gags.
-the japanese va is top notch, the reason why this anime is exclusively popular in japan, but not international (wishing from adult swim or comedy central to broadcast the series there in eng sub), and dubbing is impossible to replicate the quality acting.
-and the fandom here is chill, unlike most of the fandom *cough cough* MHA Fandom*cough cough*.

Yep, i approve this anime to have it's own "Cult classic".
What do you think?

Hmm maybe. I mean it’s not be as popular but it dominates the ratings. I absolutely love Gintama. It’s just such a chill show and it’s unpredictable and unique. And it’s the kind of thing that if you tried to explain to someone who hasn’t watched it would probably not understand why its so good.
Aug 24, 2022 12:29 AM

Aug 2018
Maybe not yet but in the future it most definitely should be considered as such . But I will say , some people here mentioned correctly other shows who deserve such status and they are older than Gintama so I’d say we have to wait a little more
Aug 28, 2022 3:11 AM
Jun 2015
betaweeb said:

stfu betaweeb, go ask your wife's boyfriend to let u watch some more anime.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 160 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

llamaben - Jun 4, 2009

108 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Jun 5, 10:40 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 189 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

llamaben - Dec 24, 2009

151 by assererre »»
Jun 3, 10:01 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 150 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

PandaPuff - Mar 26, 2009

123 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Jun 3, 8:15 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 142 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

190 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Jun 3, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 139 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

72 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Jun 1, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.