Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 18, 2022 3:22 AM

Mar 2018
Hey Guy's!! So i watched 3 EPs of Gintama I'm not sure How Gintama Anime is but i wanna Know about Gintama's Popularity we all know that it has pretty High Score and it's funny etc etc that's what most people say so How come it's not as Popular as other Shounen anime like Naruto,bleach,one piece etc etc also only 292k people Completed it, since it came out in 2000s era that's why i mentioned the Big three as well, So what makes it different that it has not the same popularity as these shows? is it because Gintama doesn't focus on fight's etc etc like Longer Arcs in other Animes, We know it Came out pretty Long time ago but didn't reached the popularity as the other still i hear about Gintama here and there, it's as popular but not that much popular after 2006 Gintama. Thank u
HERO123456Aug 18, 2022 3:25 AM
Aug 18, 2022 3:31 AM
Oct 2021
Gintama is hella popular the member count on mal doesn't represent real popularity. From what I remember when gintama final movie was released it stopped the streak of topping box office everyday of mugen train movie so i can say it is popular atleast in Japan it is
Aug 18, 2022 3:33 AM
Jan 2021
It’s a Shounen comedy, that’s as easy as it gets, the big three has one thing in common, action, and Gintama? Comedy. You don’t hear a lot of people talking about comedy anime and sharing it plus it has a slow start which puts people off making them drop it.
Aug 18, 2022 3:47 AM

Apr 2020
Naruto, bleach, and one piece are shonen manga with comedic parts, but Gintama is a comedy manga with shonen parts

"A single 'thank you' is worth more than a million sorries."
-𝐸𝓂𝒾𝓁𝒾𝒶
Aug 18, 2022 3:57 AM
Nov 2020
It is popular in Japan and some other countries not sure. As for it never became as big as the big three (even though it should've been obvious from the start):
-lacking in animation
-very slow start
-very long anime compared to other comedy series;too short compared to other battle manga series
-there really isn't a clear direction nor goal from the start to hook people. The closest we got are when serious arcs appear suddenly in certain episodes.
-no dub for the time
-comedy is not really what tweens are looking for in their anime
-not really managing to capture the shonen demographic at its prime
-episodic in nature
-the comedic nature is built upon referencing japanese culture so other countries can't understand some of the jokes further alienating foreign export
-jerks as characters
-short arcs longest one is 26 episodes and that's because it's the final arc.
-very adult humor here and there
-the very fact that it takes a good amount of luck and talent not to mention proper advertisement to lure in an audience whereas Gintama always struggled on how to advertise and created games around it causing the actual anime to reference this

There are probably more I could not list of but there is no need to delve deeper as to why Gintama is more notorious than popular in the larger anime community as there are a bunch of anime of varying quality and even having a bunch of other seasons and movies but not really becoming popular, at least outside of Japan. Popularity can speak to a show's quality but it is very very unreliable.

Side note: Also Gintama Season 1 has 900 000 people and personally I think that's a lot.
Aug 18, 2022 4:03 AM
Apr 2022
It is really popular and fan favorite in Japan,but rarely in western media .And being released after big 3, it got overshadowed (ig)
EdvdesuAug 18, 2022 4:20 AM
Aug 18, 2022 4:06 AM

Mar 2021
probably cuz gintama show more puke that tits
🐐

Aug 18, 2022 4:16 AM

Jan 2021
Firstly, Mal's popularity and numbers is not a good indicative of real popularity. Mal does not have many Japanese members while Gintama is loved by Japanese people a lot. Secondly, Its obviously not Big 3 level popular. The big 3 had great manga sales and were well known throughout the world because they were action shonen while gintama is mostly comedy. Also many people know a lot about Gintama but they dont start watching it because its a lengthy series with many episodes and seasons.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Aug 18, 2022 4:26 AM

Mar 2021
Gintama is one of the most popular and one ofthe highest rated anime series in japan. Western popularity don't mean shit for anime, let alone MAL popularity which is isn't that big to begin with.
Aug 18, 2022 4:28 AM
Dec 2021
Gintama is really popular in Japan and not that popular outside of Japan also Mal members should not be equivalent to a show's popularity
Aug 18, 2022 4:53 AM
Mar 2022
Internet viewership is biased
Just picked the viewership numbers from anikore:
One piece bleach naruto Gintama
8489 6277 5442 14896

Pokemon only has 300k viewers on MAL.
Clearly what people put on their accounts here and there is not very representative.
Aug 18, 2022 5:14 AM
Jul 2021
Gintama is popular af in Japan.
Aug 18, 2022 5:34 AM

Mar 2018
Jay_Burson-510 said:
It is popular in Japan and some other countries not sure. As for it never became as big as the big three (even though it should've been obvious from the start):
-lacking in animation
-very slow start
-very long anime compared to other comedy series;too short compared to other battle manga series
-there really isn't a clear direction nor goal from the start to hook people. The closest we got are when serious arcs appear suddenly in certain episodes.
-no dub for the time
-episodic in nature
-the comedic nature is built upon referencing japanese culture so other countries can't understand some of the jokes further alienating foreign export
-jerks as characters
-the very fact that it takes a good amount of luck and talent not to mention proper advertisement to lure in an audience whereas Gintama always struggled on how to advertise and created games around it causing the actual anime to reference this

There are probably more I could not list of but there is no need to delve deeper as to why Gintama is more notorious than popular in the larger anime community as there are a bunch of anime of varying quality and even having a bunch of other seasons and movies but not really becoming popular, at least outside of Japan. Popularity can speak to a show's quality but it is very very unreliable.

Side note: Also Gintama Season 1 has 900 000 people and personally I think that's a lot.
Quiet interesting thanks, also in 900k, 325k+ is just ptw xD again Thanks for ur Answer, it was Quiet informative, Have a Good day :)
HERO123456Aug 18, 2022 5:38 AM
Aug 18, 2022 7:27 AM
Jul 2020
What stands out with Gintama compared to the rest is pretty simple: the majority of people who've watched it, love it. You'll rarely see people who've watched a considerable amount of the series talking shit about it, spoiling big moments, etc.
A lot of popular shows get attention by means of negative attention, which Gintama doesn't get as much of.
Another major factor is that it's quite Japanese pop culture and manga reference heavy, which some western viewers might hear and just give it a pass because of it.
Aug 18, 2022 8:12 AM

Dec 2019
It's big in Japan but it's very different from other bigger Jump titles. More of a gag-style with mini-arcs and standalone episodes/chapters all over, referential humor based on Japanese culture all over beyond just anime and manga references, lack of plot movement for a major part of the series until way later. It's the kind of series that's not the best one to start off with compared to a Naruto, Bleach, One Piece or even other modern day shounen anime, actually it's better when you've seen a lot of anime so you know more references of it for humor than with no knowledge. Western viewers won't be appealed to see this kind of series with Japanese-heavy pop culture references than with a proper shounen series which they can consume easy with no knowledge necessary.
Aug 18, 2022 8:30 AM
Jan 2022
HERO123456 said:
Hey Guy's!! So i watched 3 EPs of Gintama I'm not sure How Gintama Anime is but i wanna Know about Gintama's Popularity we all know that it has pretty High Score and it's funny etc etc that's what most people say so How come it's not as Popular as other Shounen anime like Naruto,bleach,one piece etc etc also only 292k people Completed it, since it came out in 2000s era that's why i mentioned the Big three as well, So what makes it different that it has not the same popularity as these shows? is it because Gintama doesn't focus on fight's etc etc like Longer Arcs in other Animes, We know it Came out pretty Long time ago but didn't reached the popularity as the other still i hear about Gintama here and there, it's as popular but not that much popular after 2006 Gintama. Thank u

Well you cant tell by just watching the 3 episodes,

Also Gintama is mainstream anime in Japan which gets as much as recognition as big ones (in japan) , thats mostly bcoz its a Sub only anime and a non Japanese can never understand it to the 100 percent.

And whats makes Gintama special?
I cant name 1 thing, it has the best cast of characters along with the best protagonist and i dont even need fo mention the Comedy, besides that people who think Gintama is just comedy probably haven't seen it or quit in the early episodes.

Gintama is arguably better than in terms of story, plot twists, fights, emotional scenes than other mainstream anime.
Check Out My Profile

MAL Profile
Aug 18, 2022 9:18 AM
Aug 2022
HERO123456 said:

it's not as popular because of all the hiatuses they took, think Hunter X Hunter it's super popular but because of the hiatus and reboot it lost some views and therefore popularity
Aug 18, 2022 10:27 AM

Jan 2021
Jay_Burson-510 said:
-lacking in animation
-very slow start
-no dub for the time
-episodic in nature
-jerks as characters

I personally think the animation is amazing... especially for a 2000s' anime. Maybe the comedy episodes dont look so good but its fight scenes could put to shame most of new shounen anime
they deleted my signature again so i'm not making a new one
Aug 19, 2022 3:51 PM
Feb 2017
you should understand that the 292k are only MAL users and many fans dont even use such sites to list their anime

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 188 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

garfield15 - Dec 17, 2009

167 by Clooooooooooo »»
Yesterday, 7:44 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

smokes - Oct 30, 2009

68 by Pitto_ »»
May 26, 6:35 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 30 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

82 by Seraschi »»
May 26, 1:54 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 29 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TechDragon - Aug 12, 2008

85 by Seraschi »»
May 26, 1:40 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Monochrome - May 31, 2009

121 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
May 26, 9:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.