Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 27, 2010 9:32 AM

Oct 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Wow is over finally...is sad that a very good manga ends but was a good experience and I like it and the final message...men we have to
have hopes for the future in this Endless World!
May 1, 2010 2:55 PM

Nov 2007
So.. there's a new universe with all the hopes of the people who got in colloid... meh
May 4, 2010 3:11 PM
Sep 2009
I expected a bit more of this final chapters. I'm a bit disappointed for how it ended, leaving aside Elijah and all, I didn't like the final part of this manga. It was OK for me, but I still think that Eden is great on the whole.

But I have some doubts regarding the end of this manga, and I would be grateful if someone could give me an answer:

1) Was it said the reason why the "vacuum mass" (the mass who spread the gamma rays I mean) appears?? Was it a God's action, the effect of the Barrel (the great pillar of colloid), an action that the virus itself started to do a long time ago or a Maya's action??

I know, maybe I forgot a big detail of the manga, and that's the reason why I'm asking that.

2) I didn't find out why Ennoah decide to become a Drug Lord after leaving Project Pleroma. This question is solved or it wasn't told?? I still don't know why he did that (yes, I did understand why he leaves Pleroma, but not why he becomes a Drug Lord, he could have made another kind of business or create another sort of organization...).

Thanks for all and my apologies for my english.
May 5, 2010 8:28 AM

Oct 2008
Djevel said:
I expected a bit more of this final chapters. I'm a bit disappointed for how it ended, leaving aside Elijah and all, I didn't like the final part of this manga. It was OK for me, but I still think that Eden is great on the whole.

But I have some doubts regarding the end of this manga, and I would be grateful if someone could give me an answer:

1) Was it said the reason why the "vacuum mass" (the mass who spread the gamma rays I mean) appears?? Was it a God's action, the effect of the Barrel (the great pillar of colloid), an action that the virus itself started to do a long time ago or a Maya's action??

I know, maybe I forgot a big detail of the manga, and that's the reason why I'm asking that.

2) I didn't find out why Ennoah decide to become a Drug Lord after leaving Project Pleroma. This question is solved or it wasn't told?? I still don't know why he did that (yes, I did understand why he leaves Pleroma, but not why he becomes a Drug Lord, he could have made another kind of business or create another sort of organization...).

Thanks for all and my apologies for my english.

For the first if you are speaking to the "vacuum energy" is because of the collapse of the big "bubble" and if you are talking of the object they never explain appropriately, Lethia said something in the end that this thing need "sperm" (the knowledge of the people store in the colloid) and that why comes closed to the earth.

And for the second after leaving the island when they were kids Ennoah understands that was the best way of gaining power to protec Hannah.... remember that they were escaping from the Propatria Federation.
May 17, 2010 7:56 PM

May 2009
I agree that the ending was disappointing.I was expecting to learn the origin of Maya and Lethia but we didn't learn anything at the end at all.And I also hated the fact that Enoia died and Kenji lived I was hoping for the opposite.
bergilMay 17, 2010 8:26 PM
May 22, 2010 9:50 AM

Jul 2007
Hmm very disppointed after mana died. The story sorta slowed down and dragged out and kept creating questions that weren't answered. It felt an aweful lot like maya and that other girl were born to do gods work... and god wanted to end humanity or create a new universe? cause how the hell did the bubble vaccume thing appear? and jsut happen to go to where the big barrel could shoot the light, seems like the colloid was the one who created it... which make the colloid almost god like!

Remember also that the universe slowed its expansion dramatically, i think the intention was that it was going to be replaced by another universe so it didnt need to grow anymore or something. Again it all seems to happen once the colloid came into existance.

Overall i liked the manga, but i think if it were kept to a less grand scale or had more focus on the little stories it might have been better becasue to me it failed to bring across a great message, its ur typical we can make this world a better place concept.

I really wanted more story from Elijah that was a big let down too. At the end it seems he didnt care who died too, i guess he was used to it after all the shit he went through.

I think the manga started out great till about chapter 105 then it sorta went slightly downhill, not bad but not as great as the start either.

8/10 for me :)
May 22, 2010 1:30 PM

Jan 2008
Well the manga had highs and lows, it was epic and both chlidish, thoughtful yet meandering, and ultimately it did just wrap up as if the author had had enough (though still had time to give us one more pointless scene of nudity with the child Hana)

I made a thread lambasting the author's crude humour and sex which kept popping up distracting from the story, so that's my biggest gripe with this manga.

But I liked the research and scale of the story, the post-apocalyptic setting, the violence and cybpunk aspects, and that's pretty much it.

The story could have been told in half the amount of volumes.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
May 24, 2010 12:56 AM

Jul 2007
I was really indifferent to the ending. It certainly could've been better, but it wasn't bad. Overall it was an amazing work imo though.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Jun 14, 2010 3:57 PM

Jul 2008
I completely agree with Sin. The ending wasn't the best, but all in all Eden was fantastic. Ennoa's death in the final chapter was rather upsetting and the use of 'People Get Ready' by The Impressions was a really nice touch. Reminded me of when Hotel used 'What a Wonderful World' by Louis Armstrong. I think I'll give Eden a ten. Sure it had its low points, but at the end of the day I came away more than satisfied, having got everything I expected from it. It was an amazing read.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jun 27, 2010 5:09 PM

Mar 2009
Where do you guys read this?
...If you're looking for a clever and witty signature you've come to the wrong place.
Jul 13, 2010 2:26 PM

Jun 2008
The whole last story arc of the manga was completely "Meh". I was kind of disappointed at the fact that Elijah (the supposed main character of the story) had almost nothing to do with the final arc. Elijah was my favorite character in the entire manga so the fact that he suddenly became a minor character seemingly out of nowhere was deeply disappointing.
Jul 29, 2010 5:02 PM
Apr 2009
It would have been better if I didn't have to endure stupid apron jokes.
Aug 22, 2010 5:01 PM

May 2008
So 126 is the last chapter? Why does the entry page say it's got 127 chapters?
90% of Anime is shit, but then, 90% of everything is shit.
Oct 24, 2010 5:24 PM

Oct 2008
Sunlone said:
It would have been better if I didn't have to endure stupid apron jokes.

Haha, I agree .. that was not funny nor entertaining.
kurotera said:

Same question !

Oct 30, 2010 3:29 PM
Aug 2010
Fantastic ending.
Jan 20, 2011 10:05 AM
Nov 2010
The manga was very good, there were two things I wasn't too pleased for, though:
-the ending didn't include Elijah much
-there were two or three "excess" chapters...
Oct 1, 2011 12:06 PM
Jul 2011
Things really went downhill after Mana's death.The beginning was awesome then the author suddenly decided that he didn't want to make it too dark and started throwing in stupid jokes.
The ending left a lot of questions unanswered.It looked like Endo himself didn't know how to end it.
I felt bad of Elijah lost all his family but then again it looked like he didn't care much about them.

Overall 7/10
Oct 25, 2011 12:15 PM

Feb 2010
This thread is pretty ancient, and this comment is too, but...
Djevel said:

My feeling on the matter was that the vacuum mass was sent by the 'god' of the current universe. Just as Sophia is to be the entity behind the next universe, the current one presumably also had an entity in charge of it. Turtles all the way down.
Nov 12, 2011 9:24 PM

Jan 2010
Didn't like the ending. Between all the deaths of main characters and pointless sex scenes, the series started to lose my interest later on. Not a fan of the "creation" of a new universe in this story. Ending just seemed very anti-climatic.
Jan 15, 2012 8:01 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
A bit anticlimatic ending but oh well.

You can see the ending was rushed. To properly keep the pace, ideally it would need 2 more volumes.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 29, 2012 11:03 AM
Jan 2009
For me there are 2 types of mangas. Those which I read and love, but as I forget I start thinking "was it really that good". And those that I read and each second it passes from the time I ended it makes me like the series more.
Eden is the later.
I started reading it after finding it on TVTropes so my expectations weren't quite high, just tought I'd see some gray & gray morality with some distorted philosophies.
I got that and I got more.

And I liked the ending. Its not that difficult to understand once you think about it for a while but it did need some more details. But it was left for us to think about it and take our own conclusions, which is good in its own way. I would have loved a bit of Elijah at the end, 2 or 3 more volumes would've done wonders.
Sep 7, 2012 3:53 PM
Mar 2011
I don't understand this urge people have to some kind of duty the mangá/anime has to explain EVERYTHING in it. Please, stop it. Maya and Alethia were created, you can either consider it being a creation of nature or a supreme being, it's up to you. I don't see how it could've been better if the author explained this, unnecessary.

As for the entire mangá, I loved it and for me it's one of the best of all time. Most people did not accept the deaths, but deal with it, life in Eden or reality itself is shitty like that, there's not mercy or absurd plot armor. Ennoah at the end fullfilled his part in the world, I don't see why the need of keeping him alive. As for Kenji and Loji, they have much to evolve and mature.

I don't have an exact opinion about the jokes, Elijah and Miriam should live grieving and suffering? I just think that's not the point in Eden. Sophia is one of the most interesting characters I've ever seen, satisfying to see her leading the colloid to another universe.

10/10
Dec 20, 2012 9:45 PM

May 2008
The action detail was superb, like watching a movie. I wish they had only concentrated in one plot, people got killed really quick.
Jul 26, 2013 10:01 PM

Nov 2009
Great series although I feel there was "too much" going on, which became extremely evident in the latter half of the series where you get the natural disasters, the colloid, Hannah+ennoah AND eliah, although it was a great series.

Also I thought this was a tragedy, at the end especially ... but! It actually (for me personally) had a somewhat happy ending (I mean Eliah lived ... And even had a wife)

Good series, would give it probably an 8/10, maybe 9 but dunno, the end was a little too much for my taste.
Dec 10, 2013 1:36 AM

Sep 2012
the ending, uhh its a idk feeling o.o?
Mar 25, 2014 2:21 PM

Sep 2012
It's unfortunate that the ending was rushed and Endo exaggerated on unnecessary crappy humor throughout the story, but I still call this a masterpiece, this is like Xenogears in manga.
Apr 4, 2014 6:59 PM

Jul 2010
I didn't mind the mild humor (kinda minor detail for me) but yeah the ending felt rushed but hey atleast Elijah got a happy ending.
Jun 23, 2014 3:34 PM

Sep 2013
Eden towards the end reminded me very much of the End of Evangelion because of its themes, which wasn't really a surprise considering Endo is apparently a fan of NGE.

That ending is sure to divide opinions, being as bizarre as it is, but I think it was absolutely beautiful commentary on humanity and the meaning (Or meaninglessness!) of life. Those who wanted to be released from their suffering were given a chance, those who wanted to live on were free to do so. And the world never ended. The opposite, it multiplied.

The ending was slightly rushed, but I was satisfied with it, and that's what is most important to me. Eden wasn't perfect by any means, but I think its pros (Simply the best Sci-fi characters I have ever seen/read) far outweight its cons. (Sometimes stupid humor, some scenes that didn't have to exist and the slightly rushed ending.)

It really is an endless world.

9/10
cupcFeb 2, 2015 9:49 AM
Jul 10, 2014 7:58 AM

Oct 2013
The ending could be better, but it was satisfying. I kinda wanted Elijah to die, lol. His entire family died after all. I liked (and hated, at the same time) how the author killed off characters.

9/10.
Jul 10, 2014 8:11 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A great read with some bumps along the way. I think the author could have kept the story a bit tighter and focus less on side characters.The humor scenes were a bit out of place sometimes too. But a great manga with big ideas nonetheless.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 15, 2014 12:53 PM

Oct 2009
The focus on the Disclosure virus/ Colloid throughout the second half was the main detractor to my enjoyment of this series.

I disliked the disclosure virus development from the moment it was introduced and it just continued to snowball into this grand driving concept that I could have done entirely without.

I feel like the Mangaka felt that he needed something on that kind of scale because of the obvious mythological elements he introduced in the beginning.

At its high points this manga was incredible, I loved the characters, the mature content (both graphically and thematically), and so many of the smaller stories contained within even if what turned out to be the main story with the Colloid was a complete non-starter for me.

I enjoyed it when it was serious and unlike some in this thread I enjoyed it when it wasn't so serious. However I was definitely fatigued by the constant merciless pruning of characters I liked, I'd be complaining if he didn't kill any characters off too, but I feel like there was a balance in between that wouldn't have left me feeling like an abused spouse.

The one time I remember being annoyed by the humour was just after Mana's death which already had me reeling (by this point I seriously felt some animosity for the author, he'd played that card too many times already, and that death was one of the more unsatisfying conclusions that seemed especially pointless, Helena's being another) to be honest though I was probably more annoyed by the fact that it immediately went back to the Colloid angle more so than the humour popping up at such an inappropriate time. I felt like the author thought Mana's entry into the Colloid was supposed to act as some sort of consolation but it was like adding insult to injury for me.

I have a serious love/hate relationship with the manga now that I've read it in its entirety. I think that the fact that it was so very good in some areas just amplifies the problems I had with it. And unsatisfying conclusions seems to be the name of the game looking back now.

The timeskip and Helena's death made me stop reading for two years, I loved the relationship between her and Elijah and couldn't handle the ruthless approach Endo showed when he ended it like that, of course there were some little nods back to Helena and how Elijah was taking it but it ultimately just ended up with an unsatisfying replacement in Miriam and Elijah's relationship. Same goes for Sophia and Kenji's end, I don't know why I even pretended to hold out hope that Kenji would be able to retrieve Sophia from the "Big Barrel" but I did, because I didn't want that arc to end with her being absorbed by my very least favourite plot element and Kenji being left with his own consolation prize in a barely developed sidekick, Loji, that he picked up in the last quarter.

All in all, very mixed feelings, I actually feel pretty terrible for having finished it, but I'll score it according to the high points and try to quell the empty feeling in the pit of my stomach this Manga has left me with.

I think with a less bloodthirsty approach to characters, and a more grounded main plot than the Colloid this Manga might have been my favourite with no forseeable chance of being bettered in my mind, in its current state it has to settle for being one of, if not the best Manga I've read so far.
Oct 12, 2014 11:25 PM
Nov 2013
cupc said:
Eden towards the end reminded me very much of the End of Evangelion because of its themes, which wasn't really a surprise considering Endo is apparently a fan of NGE.
10/10

Where did you find this out?

TopgunUK said:

The timeskip and Helena's death made me stop reading for two years, I loved the relationship between her and Elijah

Same goes for Sophia and Kenji's end.

Couldn't agree more. Both relationships just seemed so damn healthy, so it was sad to see it end up this way, I understand the Helena thing, since ultimately its from then that we see Elijah go from just being a boy to truly being a man, but Loji seemed competent on her own while Kenji seemed rather in need of further growth via Sophia. I thought it would have made more sense for him to have gone on with her, or at least that's what I wanted for him.

Seriously though, what is up with Maya and Cherubim returning after all that?
Oct 13, 2014 5:19 AM

Sep 2013
CFinley97 said:
Where did you find this out?

After each volume there was a "bonus", in which Endo had written a page of text about something Eden related.

I think one of the earlier bonuses was him talking about NGE and how "it was exactly what Endo had wanted to create all along", and how he liked the series.
Nov 4, 2014 10:31 PM

Aug 2014
Well, it's okay about the ending though it was bit rushed. Overall, it's great manga and I really like it.
Dec 20, 2014 11:04 AM

Dec 2011
Great manga and enjoyable ride. But i have some problems with it. In a lot of parts of the story it looked like the Mangaka lost track of what he was going for. It looked like he decided to do one thing but then chaged it without any reason. Also the protagonist is basicly useless to the story, i would have prefered if we follwed Enoa instead. Also i dont get why Cherubim disappeared for half the manga, and then appeared to say nothing at all. Personaly i believe that he was the most interesting character of all. But yea my main problem is the protagonist, he starts as a kid and i like that, he has questions and want to make the world better, and in 10-20 chapters he turns into a drug adict/sex maniac that does absolutly nothing to help withe progression of the story.

EDIT: I forgot to say that we follow the protagonist for a lot of useless "quests". Like he decided to become a criminal and part of the world, trained and became stronger and then he just decided not to take part in the fight to save his sister or control cherubim to make everything easier. I mean what the point in showing him train and make all those promises? And yea i know that he didnt want to get involved with the pros so that he wont get on their way, but at some point things got out of control, also whats the point in the rescue mission if they could have killed her like that, i thought that they disabled it temprarly
D3vaDec 26, 2014 5:56 AM
Never ending nightmare!
Dec 22, 2014 12:53 PM

Jul 2012
I agree with the above comment. I felt like the main problems were that it got nowhere at one point. I think the entire story could have been done less than 60 chapters instead of 126. There's way too many subplots that never really mattered in the end. While it's a good addition, the main story itself is already too complicated and hard to focus on if they add more stuff. And as much as I liked the art, the character designs looked too similar to one another that I mistook on person for another. There was a point where it was full of random sexual comedy (MC's nude under his apron) which was really unecessary as this was supposed to be a serious story.

Highlights of the story. I liked how they set up major character deaths (like Helena's, Mana's) and also I really liked how the author gave a backstory for most of the main cast. It was really well done. Not the mention the epic main story.

cupc said:

Ah! That's why.
Dec 26, 2014 5:59 AM

Dec 2011
mayukachan said:
I agree with the above comment. I felt like the main problems were that it got nowhere at one point. I think the entire story could have been done less than 60 chapters instead of 126. There's way too many subplots that never really mattered in the end. While it's a good addition, the main story itself is already too complicated and hard to focus on if they add more stuff. And as much as I liked the art, the character designs looked too similar to one another that I mistook on person for another. There was a point where it was full of random sexual comedy (MC's nude under his apron) which was really unecessary as this was supposed to be a serious story.

Highlights of the story. I liked how they set up major character deaths (like Helena's, Mana's) and also I really liked how the author gave a backstory for most of the main cast. It was really well done. Not the mention the epic main story.

cupc said:

Ah! That's why.

Oh yea i forgot about the sexual part. Indeed the manga starts all serious with gore deaths, woman abuse and much more and after some point its like he decided to add more comedy into the manga. I mean a lot of mangas do that nowdays, but you have to decide that from the begining.
Never ending nightmare!
Dec 30, 2014 9:18 PM

Nov 2011
I found this series overall enjoyable tbh. Some parts made me feel a bit odd while reading this but the characters were very appealing. I had some mixed feelings on the ending tbh and the way it was handled but the overall story flowed well. 8/10.

Some of the subplots did feel a bit unnecessary though and had a weak balance to it. The momentum of the first half was very strong though imo.
Feb 2, 2015 9:49 AM

Mar 2012
TopgunUK said:

^
This basically summed up my feelings about the manga.

I thought it was extremely great (I would have given it a 10/10) before the four-year time skip and Helena's death (which I seriously did not understand as to why she chose to go with that guy as opposed to Eliah).
I am never a fan of time-skips, I was able to accept the 20-year time-skip in the beginning, and it was indeed shocking to have found how the lives of our pseudo-protagonists had fallen apart.
The way the four-year time-skip was implemented however, gave me serious whiplash when I realized that a time-skip had occurred.

Eliah and Helena's rather sweet romantic relationship suddenly transitioned in Helena for some reason choosing to run away with a completely unintroduced stranger, and the two dying. There was no explanation for why Helena did this, either. Eliah's lack of emotional reaction was also very jarring, since he was so emotional in the first part of the story. As another poster said, the relationship was just so perfectly healthy that for it to be ruthlessly crushed through a weak time-skip left me feeling highly betrayed. I would have accepted if they drifted apart, but not through a weak plot device like a lazy time-skip. Obviously the author wanted a cheap shock factor, rather than develop out the relationship.

The pre-time-skip arc was also quite realistic. The initial virus's origin was plausible to an extent. The biology-related jargon (which I as a student enjoyed) helped hold up the setting as the path the world took 100 years from now.
It was with the Colloid, and the pseudo-science, and the sci-fi second half that ultimately ruined the story. It was unnecessary. I would have much rather wished that the manga had taken a route similar to the atmosphere and setting of the first half.

Overall, I had mixed feelings; unsatisfied feelings. I understand the importance of main character deaths in such a story such as this, but as the story wore on, it became apparent that the mangaka had overdone it. The killing of all the good character dynamics (Eliah/Helena, Keith/Sophia, Eliah/Mana, Enoa/Hana) left a empty husk in my enjoyment of the manga. The manga should have just focused just on the story of those characters rather than expand to extreme levels.
The story became empty, and I did not care nor got attached to any of the new characters introduced. This is a example of how too much killing of the lead characters also kills a story. By the end, there was no life left in the story. All the interesting and unique character dynamics were gone, and replaced with random new faces I couldn't care less about so far into such a long manga.

The first half had a unique and interesting premise. The second half was typical of a generic sci-fi novel and the overreach that kills many mediocre sci-fis.

First Half: 10/10
Second Half: 7/0
Mar 13, 2016 3:01 PM
Oct 2009
Finally got around to finishing this manga.

No idea what Endo thought he was doing the last 30 or so chapters.

He should not have turned onto the whole geopolitical angle.
Jun 16, 2016 1:56 AM

Oct 2014
I have to agree with the majority of you guys. The whole last volume was just disappointing. It went downhill after Mana's death, when he decided to go all out on the hard science with the universe. This, the weird,misplaced humor and pointless deaths in the second half were completely unnecessary. The manga would've been way better if it had a dozen to twenty chapters less.
It's still a really good manga, but it could've been fantastic, had it kept the vibe of the first half.
SemRomSep 3, 2016 11:52 AM
Aug 8, 2018 3:07 AM
Jul 2018
Honestly very mixed feelings about this. Imo, the manga shined the most in its first half where individual characters were getting focus. However once the timeskip happened my interest started dwindling. Lots of characters introduced, either only relevant for a few chapters or quickly killed off. The political exposition was heavy but dull at the same time, while some characters were just introduced as infodump mouthpiece(like the scientists or politicians, wish at least one or two of them had proper focus instead). At the end of the day, only one or two characters made an impression on me, but even they were not used to their full potential(Sophia, Eliah, or Helena).
Apart from that it's a manga which carries lots of interesting ideas and concepts, religious, or philosophical themes like existentialism and quite an ambitious storyline, but I could hardly get invested in its presentation. In other words, lots of fodder for thinking, but had quite a few problems. The humour in its last half was distracting too.

Orvieto said:
TopgunUK said:

The story became empty, and I did not care nor got attached to any of the new characters introduced. This is a example of how too much killing of the lead characters also kills a story. By the end, there was no life left in the story. All the interesting and unique character dynamics were gone, and replaced with random new faces I couldn't care less about so far into such a long manga.

First Half: 10/10
Second Half: 7/0

This is exactly the problem imo, while killing the characters is fine since it gives a sense of dread in a manga with existentialism themes, but it could be executed in a much better manner as the first half showed- see Isaku's character.
Oct 13, 2018 4:36 PM

Dec 2013
First half of the manga was fantastic but I think we all agree that the last arc was a bit too... out there.
I think it's basically the same issue as 20th Century Boys. I'll still put it at 8/10 because the 60-70 first chapters were some of the best shit out of the entire medium.
Jan 19, 2019 4:52 PM

Aug 2016
We could be the product of a horny colloid from an acient universe and we would never know.
:v
Dec 14, 2019 9:59 PM

Dec 2015
kurotera said:

I also cannot find the chapter 127?

Sure, there are many things I did not understand in this comic. Some examples:
Who is this Meigus guy, what are his goals, how did he become what he was in the end?
Why would a "vacuum" make a "phase transition"? What does "phase transition" mean in respect to a "vacuum" in the first place? And why would this lead to the formation of a new universe? This somehow looks like the creation of energy out of nothing, and seems to contradict the Law of Conservation of Energy to begin with. I usually do not care at all if something in fiction is possible in physics or not. However, Eden seems to take the scientific stuff seriously, so I would consider a breach of nature's laws as a flaw in this specific case.

More generally, what is this whole Pleuma project about?

Despite the unanswered questions, Eden is aiming high, and touches social and scientific issues that are usually not covered in Japanese comics or cartoons (at least if I compare to the titles I know). The topics in this piece and even the unanswered questions give some material to think about. So I would give it a 9 in the end, also considering its aim, scope, and potential...
It could have been a true masterpiece.
EstefanDec 15, 2019 9:30 AM
Dec 29, 2019 4:11 AM

Oct 2012
Truly a masterpiece and one of my new favorites.

Surprised people complain about ending and have questions remaining when every question in this topic had either hints to an answer, was nearly directly answered or was left open ended for a reason.

Estefan said:
kurotera said:

Sure, there are many things I did not understand in this comic. Some examples:
Who is this Meigus guy, what are his goals, how did he become what he was in the end?
Why would a "vacuum" make a "phase transition"? What does "phase transition" mean in respect to a "vacuum" in the first place? And why would this lead to the formation of a new universe? This somehow looks like the creation of energy out of nothing, and seems to contradict the Law of Conservation of Energy to begin with. I usually do not care at all if something in fiction is possible in physics or not. However, Eden seems to take the scientific stuff seriously, so I would consider a breach of nature's laws as a flaw in this specific case.

More generally, what is this whole Pleuma project about?

For questions like this to stop rising up I will clear yours up at least:
1) Meigus guy is mostly a symbolic entity in this manga to represent the greed of humanity striving for more than they can chew, hence he is not really important as a character himself, his idea is. As a person - he is just your typical guy who wanted to become more than he is - a god if you will.
From gnosticism point of view - he is partly what gnosticism stands against.
2) New universe is the result of the big bang - and the cause for big bang was what you asked about. Phase transition of vacuum means exactly what usual phase transition of anything else would - a change of state of the materia. Obviously it's one of the things that's purely mangaka's own ideas since science has nothing on that. That theory is honestly nearly 100% not how the dark matter works but we don't(and won't ever) know to confirm or disprove it, sadly.
As for vacuum questions - you are asking for the impossible, current science(and more than likely the knowledge humans will have forever) won't really ever answer things like that because we are hitting our technological limit, it won't be like in fantasy type Sci Fi where humans evolve endlessly, we will either die out or devolve(most likely combination of both in cause and effect proportion) much earlier, ceasing our growth and eventually whatever remains of us will be wiped out by the outside forces(whatever comes first out of cosmic influence, be it star related or some other cosmic disaster), fading into the unknown.
3) The laws and the wiki you give are laughable, honestly - laws are never absolute, especially not the ones made by us theorizing. For now the science still develops and there are constant changes to what we know. Hell, a lot of things that was taught to my generation with great zeal is already getting out of date and even more if I take my parents generation study - I can also point out the things that are no longer valid. Overall as laughable as it is, but that's the only way humanity can even grow to being with - trial and error.
Laws only work until someone can topple them. Specifically the law you mentioned has so many contradictions with newly popping up knowledge. This makes it 100%(yes, note even infinitely close to 100%) that it's not a perfect explanation for anything at all. It's just that we have nothing better right now and it works within our limited mindset.
4) Pleuma project - I am nearly 100% positive this is word play on pneuma(or maybe even something lost in the translation), which explains everything if you consider that this whole manga is based on idea of Gnosticism.
It's not 1:1 identical, but it's as similar as it gets - Pneumatics were the ones who essentially supported the idea of manga's counterpart of colloid, the idea of transcending mortal bodies, in gnosticism case they believed in the divine spark and goddess of all knowledge SOPHIA(I hope you see the analogy, especially with how sophia ended up)

By the way - Maya also is from gnosticism(the representation of wisdom and supernatural), although this is semi covered in the manga, so it's probably hard to miss, since they did mention Maya being the mother of buddha.(Mahamaya)
Overall it goes even deeper than that, but I won't explain it here - go research yourself if you are interested, as it involves multiple religions and beliefs.

Aletheia also plays a part, she is the 'truth'(also noticeable if you check her role in manga, as she is literally the one who revealed the truth about everything)

There are obviously quite a few things I didn't cover, but this is getting too long.

Honestly, if you research gnosticism even remotely - you will see how brilliant this manga is. You can clearly see the mangaka seriously dabbled into a lot of topics to make this amazing masterpiece.

You often see those 'trying to be smart' manga types making childish mistakes, but not in this one. This one actually does not fail in any 'simple parts' like a lot of other manga do and instead makes it's own theory on things we don't know. It's obviously more than likely a wrong theory, but well, at some point people were hanged for telling world ain't flat.. so we did progress from that point somewhat.

Overall I am usually the first to criticize manga like this and point flaws, but I have nothing to complain about here, so I will only slowly clap and give this a 10/10 it deserves.
HentaichegDec 29, 2019 5:00 AM
Feb 27, 2020 4:25 PM
Aug 2010
Very crappy ending, but not unexpected considering that the arc itself was pretty much garbage. The manga ended when Mana died.

I understand being an enthusiast and wanting to go back to a more sci-fi oriented story, but he did it in a such a bad way. I literally could not care less about anything that happened in that last arc. Should have just ended this story on a high note , then he could go and start another manga more grounded in sci-fi. Instead, we get this crap. Meh.

Oh well, still a very good manga.
May 27, 2020 2:39 PM
Jul 2018
In the end, it was a great ride throughout, but there were issues I had that prevented me from giving it a perfect score.

For one, Endo’s use of sex and graphic violence was so overly gratuitous at times that I felt I was reading Elfen Lied. I’d see panels showing small children and animals being cut in halves with their entrails spewing out and I’d just be like “yo bro, chill out man.” Humanity is cruel, I know, but you don’t have to ram this message into us over and over again. Heck, I don’t even see this level of violence or sex in something like Berserk or Devilman which also exhibits the same views on humanity, and it just goes from being disturbing to being something that just feels too tryhard and edgy. And good lord, the sex. Some of it isn’t even crucial to the plot and just distracts from it. There was one where two characters were performing oral sex on each other and the panels were interwoven with other panels showing someone getting graphically murdered. I couldn’t take it seriously. I don’t know if Endo has some issues he needs to sort out, but the graphic nature of some of the imagery in this just felt like somebody was trying so hard to ensure his manga gets regarded as controversial.

Another problem I faced was that Endo seems so adamant about telling everybody constantly that he has some sort of Ph.D. in quantum physics or whatnot. I’m fine with scientific explanations, but I feel that at times it just goes overboard and I’m just thinking to myself “just get it over with, jeez.” The last couple of chapters were almost painful to read because of this. Not a major flaw at all, but its definitely a personal complaint I have.

Also, the series goes down a downhill slope after the culmination of the Mana Rescue Arc. I thought that was a solid finishing point in the story, but then it just keeps going. By the fifth chapter onwards, I just stopped caring about the scientific mumbo-jumbo and the constant deaths that I instead skimmed over a lot of it. I was also disappointed by the lack of cherubim in this; I thought since he played such a major role in the opening chapters that he’d be one of the main leads.

But, despite my gripes, I do highly recommend this. It’s probably the most intense page-turner of a manga I’ve read and it’s all helped by Endo’s ability to control the flow of tension within a narrative. At times, I couldn’t even put it down because of how suspenseful it was. It also helps that the characters in this are all very believable and likable in their own ways, with their own issues that needed sorting out and various flashbacks to flesh out their character. But, the best part is the chemistry and the relationships; they’re all so realistic and well explored, and it’s honestly a rarity to see something like this in the manga medium. Also, the themes are amazing in this. The idea of religion being explored from an agnostic lens and its insight into how humanity relies on it as a beacon of hope in such a cruel world was interesting to look into. As a fan of both Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion, this was a very nice read. I’d put it in the same boat as the first season of Psycho-Pass in terms of science fiction stories I like, but do fall short of their true potential.

Final score: 8/10.
Apr 10, 2021 11:14 PM

Jan 2021
*sobs* ╥﹏╥ This is masterpiece.
That final scene of Ennoa n Hanna dancing... then the next page..
Literally crunched my heart. wringed dry
10/10 scifi manga
Apr 4, 2022 2:11 AM
Oct 2020
Overall i love Eden, but after Mana died it definitely got worse to me. Also couldve done without the jokes in between the seriousness, but its whatever. Id give it a 8 or a 9 rating ending was ok too.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eden: It's an Endless World! Chapter 60 Discussion

Beatnik - Dec 9, 2008

10 by rodmanii »»
Jan 27, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Eden: It's an Endless World! Chapter 41 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 12, 2013

6 by rodmanii »»
Jan 20, 12:22 PM

Poll: » Eden: It's an Endless World! Chapter 25 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Dec 15, 2012

13 by rodmanii »»
Jan 17, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Eden: It's an Endless World! Chapter 22 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Oct 22, 2012

8 by rodmanii »»
Jan 16, 7:28 PM

» Eden its an endless world's ending

Jesus-Cunny - Nov 25, 2023

2 by MichaelJackson »»
Jan 13, 10:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.