Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Did the studio messed up with the adaptation? PLS HELP Manga Readers *SPOILERS*

New
Aug 12, 2022 11:17 PM
Apr 2022
So guys tell me since i haven't read the manga but I can see that TOKYO GHOUL manga has a rating of like 8.5 and anime is like 6

So why? Was there a difference between the ANIME and the MANGA wasn't the adaptation FAITHFUL?
Pls tell me...should I read the manga even though completed the series long ago?

Since this was my first ANIME...pls guys help me out was the ADAPTATION not faithful?
Aug 12, 2022 11:28 PM
Apr 2022
somebody just help me out
Aug 12, 2022 11:34 PM
Jan 2021
Yuta_JJK0 said:

the adaptation misses a good amount of plot points, and if you watched RE it’s almost a different story. i highly recommend the manga, it’s one of my top 5, while the anime is only in my top 30
Aug 12, 2022 11:35 PM
Jun 2016
only seaon 1 of tokyo ghoul is faithful to Manga they skipped to much in Tokyo ghoul root a and that destroyed the story. tokyo ghoul re is a bit faithful to manga but its too much rushed. u should read the series. tokyo ghoul was one of the few series i started getting into anime. i watched tokyo ghoul re as it was released. and than this year i read it and anime felt shit compared to the manga. please do read it.
Aug 12, 2022 11:39 PM
Jan 2022
First season missed some plot points but it was still ok but those plot points where important in season 2 and they didn't have enogh time to put them in so the story made no sense
Aug 12, 2022 11:45 PM
Sep 2021
Yuta_JJK0 said:
So guys tell me since i haven't read the manga but I can see that TOKYO GHOUL manga has a rating of like 8.5 and anime is like 6

So why? Was there a difference between the ANIME and the MANGA wasn't the adaptation FAITHFUL?
Pls tell me...should I read the manga even though completed the series long ago?

Since this was my first ANIME...pls guys help me out was the ADAPTATION not faithful?

Ok so. The studio requested 12 episodes per season. That’s fine for season 1 since there weren’t many chapters to cover. Some stuff has been cut but it kinda makes up for it with chapter rearrangement and some small improvements. Ishida (the mangaka of Tokyo Ghoul) requested an anime original continuation so season 2 is different and the ending is missing a very important fight (they couldn’t fit it within 12 episodes). Re part 1 is faithful to the manga but it’s rushed and combined with the missing context from the shit s2 skipped, it makes for an annoying experience. Re part 2 just cuts a fuck ton of stuff (I’m currently reading the volumes that part 2 is supposedly covering and holy fuck they destroyed the anime). Overall Tokyo Ghoul was fucked up by horrible choices from both the studio and its creator. We’re all praying for that remake
Aug 12, 2022 11:50 PM
Apr 2022
VeryGhoul said:
Yuta_JJK0 said:

Ok so. The studio requested 12 episodes per season. That’s fine for season 1 since there weren’t many chapters to cover. Some stuff has been cut but it kinda makes up for it with chapter rearrangement and some small improvements. Ishida (the mangaka of Tokyo Ghoul) requested an anime original continuation so season 2 is different and the ending is missing a very important fight (they couldn’t fit it within 12 episodes). Re part 1 is faithful to the manga but it’s rushed and combined with the missing context from the shit s2 skipped, it makes for an annoying experience. Re part 2 just cuts a fuck ton of stuff (I’m currently reading the volumes that part 2 is supposedly covering and holy fuck they destroyed the anime). Overall Tokyo Ghoul was fucked up by horrible choices from both the studio and its creator. We’re all praying for that remake

anything STUDIO PIERROT touches gets CURSED

TOKYO GHOUL is one of them 😭😭😭

TG could have been DS of that time
Aug 12, 2022 11:51 PM
Jan 2021
Yuta_JJK0 said:

The Anime wasn't faithful to the manga.Anime changed and skipped alot things and the ending was rushed.
Aug 13, 2022 12:02 AM
Sep 2021
Yuta_JJK0 said:
VeryGhoul said:

Don’t compare Tokyo Ghoul to demon slayer (btw Tokyo Ghoul was, is and will be more popular than ds). I honestly don’t know what to think about Pierrot as a studio. They’ve made some of the best shounen but they also fucked up the adaptation of Tokyo Ghoul. And like I don’t hate the anime. It’s the reason I got into anime. But reading the manga and having rewatched the anime I can’t help but to feel disappointed. You can see that the director really wanted to create something good (the director of the first two seasons. The one who directed re didn’t give a shit about what he was making) but Pierrot just had to hold him back by limiting the seasons to 12 episodes. I pray they don’t fuck up the continuation of bleach
Aug 13, 2022 12:07 AM
May 2022
The first season was fine, the second season wasn’t even canon, and the last 2 seasons felt rushed.
Aug 13, 2022 12:28 AM
Jul 2022
The anime butchers the manga, so much is left out. Root A just doesn’t follow the manga. Not only that but they’re trying to cover 143 chapter n like 24 episodes for Tokyo ghoul, and then trying to cover 179 chapters n 24 episodes for Tokyo ghoul re. That’s way too much material to properly adapt n 24 episodes. The first season is pretty solid, although there were a few slight changes from the manga, though they weren’t a huge deal. But besides the 1st season, the rest of it is not anywhere close to as good as the manga
Aug 13, 2022 12:30 AM

Mar 2022
actually the first season was good and when it comes to the second and the re version they mostly skipped the most of the chapters like cannon. so yeah the studio has fucked up the whole anime series

Aug 13, 2022 12:52 AM
Jul 2021
Yuta_JJK0 said:

The adaptation was bas as they skipped many chapters in season 1 and took a different route than the manga in season 2. So i suggest reading the manga. I'm currently reading the manga too and I can easily say they it's way better than the anime adaptation.
Aug 13, 2022 1:06 AM

Mar 2021
the anime deviated in second season. But I didnt find it that bad. If you dont concern yourself with wether it is faithful to manga or not, you'll definitely enjoy it.
Aug 13, 2022 1:34 AM
Oct 2021
Yuta_JJK0 said:

Tokyo Ghoul was one of my first Anime’s and i loved the story and characters sm but i was left soo confused when I finished that damn show. After some research I realised that the second season ain’t even part of the Manga!
I’m currently reading the Manga now which I’m a quarter of the way through :re, it’s absolutely amazing! I’ve soon realised after just a few chapters how the adaptation completely ruined everything for this show. Sui Ishida deserved so much better and it honestly needs a remake.
So please read it, you won’t regret it lol!
Aug 13, 2022 2:27 AM
Jul 2022
I honestly find that with older anime (especially a lot of anime that pre-dates Demon Slayer, which, imo, is when anime started popping off for real in North America) they were rushed and missed a lot of points that the manga would have. I think that now that anime has more hype, it brings in more funding through merchandising so they are able to do more.

I think that if the anime were to do a reboot with MAPPA it would be 10x better.
Aug 13, 2022 2:38 AM
Feb 2021
tbh the only part I can say I actually enjoyed it was s1 last episode, it was epic af
Nir#9404 on discord feel free to DM me
Aug 13, 2022 2:38 AM
Jun 2022
second season was rushed and skipped a lot of things. you should try to read the manga, it's a very good one
Aug 13, 2022 3:45 AM
May 2021
Yuta_JJK0 said:

Season 1 is pretty faithful with some minor changes. Root A is not faithful what’s so ever and in my opinion ruined the show for me. Root A goes against Kaneki’s ideology which was joining aogiri. Also root a covers a pretty important plot line of kaneki trying to find the origin of rize which i’m pretty sure was never filled. re acts faithful to manga but is rushed to hell and would make no sense to non manga readers as it pretends they never did root a plus it misses out on a lot of context. Also is the anime i don’t think they ever explained the different kagunes. they mentioned them sometimes in fights but i don’t think they ever fully explained them. think this was because of root a, the explanation happened between suzuya and shinohara in the manga which would of happened in season 2 but was replaced with root a. my recommendation is to read the manga then watch the anime. i got a lot more enjoyment and understood a lot more.
Aug 13, 2022 4:01 AM
Nov 2019
VeryGhoul said:
Yuta_JJK0 said:

Don’t compare Tokyo Ghoul to demon slayer (btw Tokyo Ghoul was, is and will be more popular than ds). I honestly don’t know what to think about Pierrot as a studio. They’ve made some of the best shounen but they also fucked up the adaptation of Tokyo Ghoul. And like I don’t hate the anime. It’s the reason I got into anime. But reading the manga and having rewatched the anime I can’t help but to feel disappointed. You can see that the director really wanted to create something good (the director of the first two seasons. The one who directed re didn’t give a shit about what he was making) but Pierrot just had to hold him back by limiting the seasons to 12 episodes. I pray they don’t fuck up the continuation of bleach

I was just wondering what you meant by Tokyo ghoul being more popular than DS? When more people has seen DS, and DS has the higher overall score. (This is not my opinion but just data from my anime list). I also fully understand if you just assumed that. But if you have some other reason for saying that, I would love to hear it.
Aug 13, 2022 4:11 AM
Sep 2021
ToIten said:
VeryGhoul said:

I was just wondering what you meant by Tokyo ghoul being more popular than DS? When more people has seen DS, and DS has the higher overall score. (This is not my opinion but just data from my anime list). I also fully understand if you just assumed that. But if you have some other reason for saying that, I would love to hear it.
first of all I’m not referring just to the anime but to the manga as well. And s1 beats demon slayer in popularity and manga beats demon slayer in both score and popularity. I’m going based on mal numbers here. Check for yourself
Aug 13, 2022 4:36 AM
Nov 2021
Yuta_JJK0 said:

Both in season 1 and Tokyo Ghoul re misses alot of plot points from manga, so anime adaptation is pretty bad compared to manga.
Art in manga is just top tier.
Also manga has s*x scene so it's no brainer ro choose manga.
Aug 13, 2022 6:20 AM
Feb 2022
Yuta_JJK0 said:

1st season of the anime- followed manga and was overall a good adaptation

2nd season- starting soon whacko shit

Tokyo ghoul re- seemed like they skimmed the manga real quick and made the season. The amount of information and scenes left out is almost half
Aug 13, 2022 8:41 AM
Apr 2022
Many say yes, but I don’t think so. It isn’t actually that bad. The only thing which confused me was that they just switched to arcs.
Aug 13, 2022 9:50 AM
Jun 2021
Yuta_JJK0 said:

Its so rushed, like theirs a massive arc that they pretty much gloss over and it’s literally the biggest turning point in the main character.
It also cuts out some context to certain events and character motivations
Aug 13, 2022 9:53 AM
Jun 2021
VeryGhoul said:
Yuta_JJK0 said:

Tokyo ghoul is popular as a manga, the anime sucks the life out of it, meanwhile demon slayer hasnt rushed at all, and ufotable can animate a litteral turd and make it pretty
Aug 13, 2022 2:54 PM
Mar 2021
I have so far watched the anime and have not touched on the manga but my avid friend who is a dir hard fan of the manga said the anime was infamous for its adaptation. He up to this day is still encouraging me to read it, he said it missed a lot of plots and were rushed... so yes your question might be true given the responses are the same to what my friend told me.
Aug 13, 2022 2:58 PM
Mar 2021
The first season was pretty good till the end when they forget to introduce half of the major cast that ruins the og story for season 2 but in my opinion season 2 was enjoyable still would have preferred that og story but whatever but down there RE which is almost completely unwatchable beside the soundtrack but everything else is awful
Aug 13, 2022 2:59 PM
Jan 2022
S1 is fine even tho they skipped alot, S1 is best and S2 is not even canon, it creates new story and RE(anime) assumes u already have read the manga till S2 and continues from there and still skips alot.

Tokyo ghoul manga is my fav manga and i think it deserves a good adaptation just like Berserk does.

I highly recommend watching S1 and then read manga from start (Ch1).

Best way to experience.
Check Out My Profile

MAL Profile
Aug 13, 2022 4:09 PM
Jul 2021
The anime is ass, they skip so much and make it confusing. If you like the anime I don’t like you
Aug 13, 2022 7:55 PM
Jan 2020
Honestly Tokyo ghoul manga is one of my favorites but they completely missed the mark with the anime. Season one follows pretty well, but once it gets to season two they don’t follow the manga and go basically in the opposite direction the main character takes in the manga, and with season two failing they decide to pick it up and follow the manga with season three, for a little while and it doesn’t make sense.
Aug 13, 2022 9:14 PM
Oct 2021
Yuta_JJK0 said:

The adaption was shit because it left too many plot holes and it cuts too many plot point. Like in Tokyo Ghoul √A they didn’t show juzo’s fight with Jason it only showed juzo taking Jason’s body in the body bag.

√A also “killed hide.” But in the manga kaneki only ate part of hide’s face yet in the anime they killed hide only for him to be alive in Re.

√A also cut out kaneki’s first fight with arima. I’m extremely pissed to this day about this one because at the end of √A it showed kaneki and arima standing face to face but it didn’t show arima defeating kaneki which gave kaneki amnesia which turned him into haise sasaki. And then after that fight was cut many people were left in confusion with pretty much no explanation when the Tokyo Ghoul Re anime started.
Aug 13, 2022 9:27 PM

Feb 2021
A lot of important and major things were cut and not included in the anime. 1st season was still okay, but after that it steadily goes downhill so far as so that anime completely strays away from the source material

Aug 13, 2022 10:20 PM
Aug 2021
VeryGhoul said:
Yuta_JJK0 said:

Do you know if Ishida said why he wanted an anime original season?
Aug 16, 2022 8:14 AM
Dec 2021
season 1 is pretty good and even √A could be considered worthwhile but they fucked up the plotline in :re, so try reading the chapters corresponding to the :re season.
also welcome to the club~

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

846 by Vindicater »»
May 13, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

320 by Vindicater »»
May 8, 5:12 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dior - Jul 10, 2014

520 by Vindicater »»
May 4, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2014

860 by Vindicater »»
May 2, 5:29 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.