Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 1, 2022 7:35 AM
Jan 2017
I'm not sure what it was. A combination of factors, I'd imagine. Great dub, great story, a romcom/drama with more than just the main guy and girl as central cast members. Snappy, 3-episode story arcs that didn't overstay their welcome nor get resolved too quickly. Plenty of time for the relationships to be fleshed out. Great characters, and a grounded story.

Every few years, I end up rewatching Toradora. I don't do this with almost any other show, really. Not from lack of trying. I'm sure it's some amount of nostalgia for one of the first shows I watched as a fan of the medium, but ever since I've watched many other romantic comedies and dramas that just don't hit the same, honestly. Sakurasou was good, but not quite there, as were many other romance anime I've tried since. I'm sure Kaguya-sama will be a modern classic in a similar regard, but I've read the manga, so it won't hit the same for me. Sex Education scratched a similar itch, but live action just hits slightly different. Your Lie In April just made me depressed. Bunny girl Senpai's couple got together too early, Clannad was great but only because of After Story and that was again, just very sad, Chuunibyou was fine, Horimiya I'd read before, Nisekoi I also read, Golden Time was great but not quite there, Rent-A-Girlfriend is a trash fire, Quints I've read, Kokkoro Connect and Spice and Wolf I've also both seen, enjoyed, yet again, didn't hit quite the same.

Does anyone else deal with this? I mean, as the second most popular Anime under the romance tag, I don't doubt it, but if so, is there anything you'd recommend that did hit similarly? Could be an Anime, Manga, upcoming adaptation, or Light Novel. I'm just hoping I'll find something, and I appreciate anyone who helps me.
Oni_ZokuchouAug 1, 2022 7:39 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 1, 2022 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
Me too…..

Nothing has come closer to being so uniquely trash quite like it.
Aug 1, 2022 7:47 AM
Mar 2021
Can't help you with this problem, just wanted to mention I have the same problem with the anime Grand Blue; not similar to Toradora in any way, but to me it's the best comedy and can't find anything like this storywise (no other anime has similar setting or vibe); only thing that helps is reading the manga
Aug 1, 2022 7:55 AM
Oct 2021
You could try Kamisama Hajimemashita
Aug 1, 2022 7:59 AM
Mar 2021
I am not going to read all of these

but I think toradora is the best rom com after kaguya sama, many people call it trash because there favorite rom com isn't as popular as toradora
Aug 1, 2022 8:09 AM
Jun 2022
Have you watched your lie in April… I recommend for the people to watch it after toradora; cuz I did and I’m crying like a no tomorrow
Aug 1, 2022 8:11 AM
Jan 2022
You didn't find anything like Toradora?

Yeah, it's really hard to fall that low
Check Out My Profile

MAL Profile
Aug 1, 2022 8:15 AM
Dec 2020
Oni_Zokuchou said:
I'm not sure what it was. A combination of factors, I'd imagine. Great dub, great story, a romcom/drama with more than just the main guy and girl as central cast members. Snappy, 3-episode story arcs that didn't overstay their welcome nor get resolved too quickly. Plenty of time for the relationships to be fleshed out. Great characters, and a grounded story.

Every few years, I end up rewatching Toradora. I don't do this with almost any other show, really. Not from lack of trying. I'm sure it's some amount of nostalgia for one of the first shows I watched as a fan of the medium, but ever since I've watched many other romantic comedies and dramas that just don't hit the same, honestly. Sakurasou was good, but not quite there, as were many other romance anime I've tried since. I'm sure Kaguya-sama will be a modern classic in a similar regard, but I've read the manga, so it won't hit the same for me. Sex Education scratched a similar itch, but live action just hits slightly different. Your Lie In April just made me depressed. Bunny girl Senpai's couple got together too early, Clannad was great but only because of After Story and that was again, just very sad, Chuunibyou was fine, Horimiya I'd read before, Nisekoi I also read, Golden Time was great but not quite there, Rent-A-Girlfriend is a trash fire, Quints I've read, Kokkoro Connect and Spice and Wolf I've also both seen, enjoyed, yet again, didn't hit quite the same.

Does anyone else deal with this? I mean, as the second most popular Anime under the romance tag, I don't doubt it, but if so, is there anything you'd recommend that did hit similarly? Could be an Anime, Manga, upcoming adaptation, or Light Novel. I'm just hoping I'll find something, and I appreciate anyone who helps me.

Tonikawa/Over the moon for you. I don’t know about the dubs quality but the show itself was amazing
Being human is making mistakes.
Aug 1, 2022 8:16 AM
Jan 2017
ciiviic said:
Can't help you with this problem, just wanted to mention I have the same problem with the anime Grand Blue; not similar to Toradora in any way, but to me it's the best comedy and can't find anything like this storywise (no other anime has similar setting or vibe); only thing that helps is reading the manga

Grand Blue has been great for the 6 volumes I've read so far. First laugh-out-loud manga I've ever read. I really should get back to it.
Aug 1, 2022 8:17 AM

Mar 2020
Simple

Toradora unique
Taiga Aisaka unique

Simple

Aug 1, 2022 8:17 AM
Jan 2017
Ani-MangaReader said:
Have you watched your lie in April… I recommend for the people to watch it after toradora; cuz I did and I’m crying like a no tomorrow

Oh, I watched most of it. Then the ending got spoiled for me like 3 times. I ended up dropping it just before *that* happens.
Aug 1, 2022 8:18 AM
Feb 2009
I know exactly what you mean, but coincidentally I've been getting a similar feeling with Oregairu/My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, particularly the second season.
Aug 1, 2022 8:19 AM
Jan 2017
Khushal_v said:

but I think toradora is the best rom com after kaguya sama, many people call it trash because there favorite rom com isn't as popular as toradora

We've had 2 of them already!

They probably like Minori or Ami lmao
Aug 1, 2022 8:20 AM
Jun 2022
Oni_Zokuchou said:
Ani-MangaReader said:

Oh, I watched most of it. Then the ending got spoiled for me like 3 times. I ended up dropping it just before *that* happens.
watari and kitamura did somehow similar role here .., like 1mm similar not a whole lot of but
Aug 1, 2022 8:25 AM

Oct 2015
Oni_Zokuchou said:

You can consider reading The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten.

It is less crazy than Toradora, it is more comfortable to read.

The female lead, Shiina Mahiru is ranked no1 LN female character in 2022, and no2 in 2021.

Most people in the LN community enjoy reading The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten more than Toradora~

EDIT: The male lead, Fujimiya Amane is also highly ranked among the LN male characters. I remember him being at the top 10, don’t remember exactly which number. :(
Aug 1, 2022 8:30 AM
Jun 2021
Oni_Zokuchou said:

You honestly won’t find anything like Toradora. Truly in a league of its own.
I really enjoyed Horimiya and After the Rain. Not sure if you’ve seen either. But I would recommend both.
Aug 1, 2022 8:31 AM
Jul 2022
Toradora was one of my first romance animes after Your Name and someone else mentioned oregairu which I also loved.I liked My dress up darling but i can definitely understand why people wouldn’t like it as there is a ridiculous amount of fan service especially at the start. If you don’t like that aspect of romance and if you like slow burners Fruits Basket is literally perfect. It fleshes out the characters just as much if not more than Toradora. It’s more of a drama with romance on the side but somehow the romance is still the best part of the show. I couldn’t reccomend it enough even though some episodes are boring and it is slow at times it has some humor but it doesn’t force humor down your throat the drama is there especially with the main antagonist akito and his psychological power and will also have you bawling at times. Sorry i’m rambling about this but definitely watch it
Aug 1, 2022 9:11 AM
May 2022
try The World Only God Knows
Aug 1, 2022 9:41 AM
Jan 2021
Thank goodness you’re watching the dub, it’s one of the best ones.

I agree, it’s pretty unique, I don’t the hate of it on social media. While it does have typical tropes, it does feel oddly different (in a good way).

It’s also one of my first anime so it’s also a bit nostalgic
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Aug 1, 2022 9:42 AM
Jan 2021
Ikarus101 said:
Oni_Zokuchou said:

Tonikawa/Over the moon for you. I don’t know about the dubs quality but the show itself was amazing

Actually my mom watched that anime dub and it’s super super bad dub sadly. It’s the most over exaggerated dub I’ve ever seen. The show is good tho
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Aug 1, 2022 9:44 AM
Dec 2020
official_brown said:
Ikarus101 said:

Actually my mom watched that anime dub and it’s super super bad dub sadly. It’s the most over exaggerated dub I’ve ever seen. The show is good tho
That is quite unfortunate
Being human is making mistakes.
Aug 1, 2022 9:51 AM

Jan 2020
toradora is awesome ngl , not one of my favorites but one of those anime I thought overhyped til I watched it . romances usually suck but the characters were so freakin good and memorable.
Aug 1, 2022 10:05 AM
Feb 2020
Try shuffle it gave me a similar feel
Aug 1, 2022 10:09 AM
Mar 2022
I mean it was good, and I enjoyed it—-but that’s a l o t
Aug 1, 2022 11:09 AM
May 2021
Khushal_v said:

I second that, but I would probably put oregairu in front of toradora
Aug 1, 2022 11:19 AM
Jan 2016
Watch KareKano it is also very good
Aug 1, 2022 11:19 AM
Feb 2020
I'm in the same place as you where Toradora have an special place, but I can recommend Ah, megamisama!
Aug 1, 2022 11:25 AM
Feb 2021
A lot of the anime you listed hit quite harder than Toradora.
Aug 1, 2022 12:23 PM
Apr 2022
clannad is really one of the best romance out there
Aug 1, 2022 12:26 PM
Apr 2022
Ani-MangaReader said:

I didn't cry for your lie in april actually. it was sad but not to the extent to bring me to tears and I'm very emotional to little things and j always cry but this anime didn't make me idk why
Aug 1, 2022 12:26 PM
Apr 2022
Rembe said:
A lot of the anime you listed hit quite harder than Toradora.

especially clannad
Aug 1, 2022 12:28 PM
Jun 2022
LTS979 said:
Ani-MangaReader said:

I didn't cry for your lie in april actually. it was sad but not to the extent to bring me to tears and I'm very emotional to little things and j always cry but this anime didn't make me idk why
desensitised ..?
Aug 1, 2022 12:30 PM
Jun 2022
Ani-MangaReader said:
LTS979 said:

desensitised ..?
don’t take it in a wrong way I’m giving a legitimate answer, some people has a sad threshold based on their seretonin receptors ; over that threshold you can’t feel anything the same reason why too much happiness make cry and some people laugh for getting too angry … some people can’t get sad for over sad incident that means they aren’t not sad , that means that overtook their sad level
Aug 1, 2022 12:32 PM
Apr 2022
Ani-MangaReader said:
LTS979 said:

desensitised ..?
idk. I did cry for his backstory with his mother and when a cat died because I had experiences with the passing away of pets but I just didn't cry that much when the mc girl died. It's a great anime nonetheless and has inspired me to listen to classical music
Aug 1, 2022 12:44 PM
Aug 2021
honestly same.
I've watched many romcoms but this is the only one that I have rewatched almost 5 times. It probably has to do with being my first but toradora is a classic and the best romcoms I've watched
Aug 1, 2022 1:13 PM

Nov 2020
True bro can't find more shit+cringe sol then this

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright if
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright if

We just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
Aug 1, 2022 1:22 PM
Feb 2022
Just understand you won't find any show like this and move along. It will help you out in the long run.
Aug 1, 2022 1:24 PM
Jan 2022
Idk it’s just cause at the end of the day they art bitches about saying like liked each other. Like rent a girlfriend. But horimiya is kinda like it in the way they just come out and say it. But horimiya does it even quicker(to say they like each other)
Aug 1, 2022 1:53 PM
Jan 2021
poisson said:
I know exactly what you mean, but coincidentally I've been getting a similar feeling with Oregairu/My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, particularly the second season.
My Teen Romantic SNAFU is the best romance anime i've ever seen!
Aug 1, 2022 2:18 PM
Aug 2018
Ani-MangaReader said:

Tbh, someone recommended me "Your lie in April" because I mentioned I'm a sucker for happy ending anime. 2 years after, I still hate that person with passion.

PS: Toradora didn't left me with a good impression, probably because of the ambiguous ending.
Aug 1, 2022 2:29 PM
Jul 2021
Man honestly if someone doesn’t like Toradora they probably just aren’t that smart its easily one of the best romances out there. Easily a top 5.
Aug 1, 2022 3:03 PM
Aug 2021
Oni_Zokuchou said:

You should give "pet girl of sakurasou" q chance then, its as good or better than toradora
Aug 1, 2022 3:49 PM
Mar 2022
poisson said:

If you haven't already, try watching Monogatari. Araragi and Senjougahara's banter are very reminiscent of Hachiman and Yukino, to the point that I think Oregairu's author was a monogatari fan. Hachiman even has the same cowlick as Araragi.
Aug 1, 2022 5:39 PM
Dec 2021
i really liked toradora too so i recommend my little monster!! it’s so cute too and also if ur up for BL sasaki to miyano is really cute as well!! ofc also kaguya sama but i tbh found it a liiiitle too long at the end it just felt like a chore to finish it 😂😂 also my dress up darling & kamisama hajimemashita
Aug 1, 2022 7:36 PM
Mar 2022
Toradora is def a fun watch, cute and sweet and annoying all at once lol. But I love it.

You might want to try Chobits. It's an oldie, but a goodie.
Aug 1, 2022 8:00 PM

Aug 2015
if youre looking for another great romance/drama anime/manga, try ao haru ride, especially the manga, it hits different
Aug 1, 2022 8:27 PM
Jun 2022
Nightwish76 said:
Ani-MangaReader said:

Tbh, someone recommended me "Your lie in April" because I mentioned I'm a sucker for happy ending anime. 2 years after, I still hate that person with passion.

PS: Toradora didn't left me with a good impression, probably because of the ambiguous ending.
in real toradora ending ; they get married and have triplets and drops from school and goes to job
Aug 1, 2022 10:09 PM
Sep 2021
ReLIFE is another good one
Aug 1, 2022 10:38 PM
Sep 2017
Yeah i get you. Its no wonder why people call it one of the best Romcom ever, it has its own unique perks that many anime dont have.

Aug 1, 2022 11:33 PM
Apr 2021
True, never seen something as bad as this show
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Nov 26, 2008

284 by Matheus050 »»
May 8, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Best Toradora girl? (Repost)

JustSomeone15 - Apr 27

26 by VOLTHOR6 »»
May 3, 4:04 PM

» Toradora's Blu-ray has an issue

JustSomeone15 - Apr 29

2 by Binkini »»
Apr 30, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Davison - Oct 15, 2008

238 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 25, 6:56 AM

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sonja - Mar 25, 2009

1109 by Laylabc »»
Apr 24, 10:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.