Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Good Antagonist or Memes?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 16, 2022 1:27 PM
Apr 2022
Flynnnn said:
Pretty funny that he counts as mid standards type of villains but ended up being one of the most loved Jojo characters

anyways i think Dio itself making the jojo itself boring like the same damn thing

p4 has Dio mentioned
p5 is the son of Dio
p6 is about the Dio bf

thank God for sbr.

steel ball run has dio in it as Diego Brando he even has the world (alternate dimension)
Jul 16, 2022 1:35 PM
Oct 2020
His character and aim's not really deep, just an iconic antagonist
Jul 16, 2022 2:24 PM
Nov 2021
I enjoyed him as a villain. Kira is still my favorite villain so far (though Pucci could take the #1 spot as I’m liking him a lot so far) but dio was an ok villain in part 1 and while in part 3 he didn’t do much until the end, the final fight against jotaro was good. Overall good
Jul 16, 2022 2:34 PM
Mar 2022
Tbh he's pretty basic in my opinion, in part 1 I enjoyed him a bit but in part 3 he just turned in those archetypes of villains that are pure evil (not a bad villain, but far from good)
Jul 16, 2022 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
He's quite good, but I think that the over reliance on DIO in the original timeline, and in tie-in media, such as video games hurt the series.
Jul 16, 2022 5:38 PM
Oct 2021
DrBalls said:
Here come all the pretentious snobs who think an antagonist needs a deep, sad backstory to be a good character.

He kinda does have a "sad" backstory, with his father being an absolute jackass, but honestly who cares.
Jul 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Jan 2021
keespro2006 said:
Flynnnn said:
Pretty funny that he counts as mid standards type of villains but ended up being one of the most loved Jojo characters

anyways i think Dio itself making the jojo itself boring like the same damn thing

p4 has Dio mentioned
p5 is the son of Dio
p6 is about the Dio bf

thank God for sbr.

steel ball run has dio in it as Diego Brando he even has the world (alternate dimension)

bro thats massive spoilers
Read the visual novel nerd
Jul 17, 2022 3:04 AM

Apr 2022
i guess he's alright. there was alot of build up and then the final fight was lowkey underwhelming but he could've been worse ig
Jul 17, 2022 3:38 AM
Jul 2020
ryzxgum said:
i guess he's alright. there was alot of build up and then the final fight was lowkey underwhelming but he could've been worse ig

Really? I found the final fight of Part 3 the Greatest in the Series! Imo Part 2 and 3 had the best final fights yet.
Jul 17, 2022 3:45 AM

Apr 2022
SaiboT789 said:
ryzxgum said:

Really? I found the final fight of Part 3 the Greatest in the Series! Imo Part 2 and 3 had the best final fights yet.

i think the build up made me set my expectations way too high, i ended up enjoying the fights leading up to the final fight more than the final fight itself lmfao. not at all saying it was bad tho!
Jul 17, 2022 4:37 AM
Jul 2020
ryzxgum said:
SaiboT789 said:

i think the build up made me set my expectations way too high, i ended up enjoying the fights leading up to the final fight more than the final fight itself lmfao. not at all saying it was bad tho!

Ah I see, I think for me it was a bit disappointing how he didn't really show up until the last few episodes, so I was just really hyped once he finally showed up. But I totally see where you're coming from, lots of the smaller fights were really enjoyable.
Jul 17, 2022 6:01 AM
Jun 2021
My favorite antagonist after Aizen from Bleach. He’s incredibly well written
Jul 17, 2022 9:44 AM
Jun 2019
Part 1 Dio was fucking unbearable, and not in a good way. He was meant to be cunning but acted really stupid at points. He was so loud and obnoxious, i think he definitely was a great villain when he was first written, one of the early examples of an archetype I like to call “Elegant bastard” but the newer ones are way more interesting and now he seems generic in a lot of ways to me. Part 3 Dio is amazing I love him.
Jul 17, 2022 10:41 AM
Apr 2021
Dio gotta be one of the greatest antagonists all bc of his pride, bro could’ve killed the stardust crusaders when he shoved his lackey in the coffin but nah he just wanted to see their skills and how strong they were that’s why I fucks with Dio bro was just too cocky and I like that in a character💀🤷🏽‍♂️
Jul 17, 2022 11:00 AM

Dec 2020
Dio is an amazing villian because he is Dio , even if he is plain simple evil ,there aren't any other like him.

Jul 17, 2022 11:27 AM

Jul 2021
my fav villain ever and with very obvious bias towards him, i believe so
Jul 17, 2022 4:26 PM
May 2022
that is not even a debate
Jul 18, 2022 5:03 AM
Jan 2021
SaiboT789 said:
Hey guys! So, basically a few Days ago a Friend of mine said to me "Dio is not a good Character/Antagonist, he's only good for the memes" And while that's just his opinion and ofcourse Dio is lots of meme Material (since all of JJBA is) it still kinda bugged me so Question: Part 1 and 3 Included, is Dio a good Antagonist or is he only good for the memes?

Note: I don't wanna compare him to the other JoJo Villains, just imagine Dio is the only Villain and you'd have to say if he does a good Job!

Edit: I should Probably say My Opinion about this. So I think Dio is a good Antagonist. In Part 1 he got this Mindset thinking he's the strongest and he could beat anyone with his eyes closed and both hands tied behind his back, which makes him really vulnerable on the other hand. So I really liked how careful he was in Part 3 to have his minions hold the Joestars back until he's fully prepared. So I think Dio is not only Memes!!

Edit 2: Thank You All for Voting and leaving Your Opinion on the Matter, glad to see most people think that he's at least a good Villain!

He's good, for memes.
Jul 18, 2022 7:37 AM
Jul 2022
i honestly like part 1 dio for than part 3 dio thats my opinion tho i find em a rlly good antagonist ngl the bad thing about em is how unrealistic that is like cmon a fucking vampire
but this is jojo the series that speedwagon used his abs to heat zeppelis arm so i cant complain
Jul 18, 2022 9:01 AM

Jan 2020
he's one of those guys that's so fucking vile and bad he doesn't really have to do much. and he's naturally menacing . he doesn't have to do anything rlly. he's like the Voldemort of anime. kinda in the background plotting death
Jul 18, 2022 11:26 AM
Jun 2021
SaiboT789 said:
Hey guys! So, basically a few Days ago a Friend of mine said to me "Dio is not a good Character/Antagonist, he's only good for the memes" And while that's just his opinion and ofcourse Dio is lots of meme Material (since all of JJBA is) it still kinda bugged me so Question: Part 1 and 3 Included, is Dio a good Antagonist or is he only good for the memes?

Note: I don't wanna compare him to the other JoJo Villains, just imagine Dio is the only Villain and you'd have to say if he does a good Job!

Edit: I should Probably say My Opinion about this. So I think Dio is a good Antagonist. In Part 1 he got this Mindset thinking he's the strongest and he could beat anyone with his eyes closed and both hands tied behind his back, which makes him really vulnerable on the other hand. So I really liked how careful he was in Part 3 to have his minions hold the Joestars back until he's fully prepared. So I think Dio is not only Memes!!

Edit 2: Thank You All for Voting and leaving Your Opinion on the Matter, glad to see most people think that he's at least a good Villain!

Considering he falls into the same camp as characters like griffith, madara, blackbeard etc, hes a character that generates his own hype and literally every manga and anime fan knows his name.
Jul 18, 2022 11:29 AM
Jun 2021
AlexPlayer said:
I feel like just don't understand there are two types of villains (pure evil and sympathetic) and simply judge them as bad or good outright. Just compare Dio and Diego; Dio is an irredimmable, power hungry, born evil, but charismatic and fun villain, while Diego is just a prideful and arrogant asshole. They're both different kinds of antagonists that serve different purposes in the story.

Also an underrated aspect when it comes to an antagonist is how they function in the story as a whole and what's more fitting for a series whose main theme is fate, than to have its primary antagonist be fated to be evil?

Oddly enough their backstory differs in one way and one way only, dio’s father was there abusing him and his mother until dio snapped and killed him, diego never knew his father but still saw his mother struggle all the same.
Does this say something about either? It says so much, diego hates the idea of a world where people live like that. Dio wants to be powerful.
Jul 18, 2022 11:51 AM

May 2017
GreatCarerJack said:
AlexPlayer said:
I feel like just don't understand there are two types of villains (pure evil and sympathetic) and simply judge them as bad or good outright. Just compare Dio and Diego; Dio is an irredimmable, power hungry, born evil, but charismatic and fun villain, while Diego is just a prideful and arrogant asshole. They're both different kinds of antagonists that serve different purposes in the story.

Also an underrated aspect when it comes to an antagonist is how they function in the story as a whole and what's more fitting for a series whose main theme is fate, than to have its primary antagonist be fated to be evil?

Oddly enough their backstory differs in one way and one way only, dio’s father was there abusing him and his mother until dio snapped and killed him, diego never knew his father but still saw his mother struggle all the same.
Does this say something about either? It says so much, diego hates the idea of a world where people live like that. Dio wants to be powerful.

Not to mention that both of their stands are The World (Scary Monsters wasn't tehnically Diego's stand) and as we know stands are manifestations of the soul which means that at their core, they are the same individual but in different circumstances.
Jul 18, 2022 12:10 PM
Aug 2019
DrBalls said:
Here come all the pretentious snobs who think an antagonist needs a deep, sad backstory to be a good character.

but i mean… he kinda does have a deep and sad backstory :P
Jul 18, 2022 3:51 PM
Jun 2022
Flugzeug said:
I think that he‘s good in part 1, but pretty weak in part 3 compared to the other characters. In part 1 there is this interesting thing I think Speedwagon says, which is that Dio being evil can‘t be blamed on his sad circumstances aka backstory, that there are countless of poor, abused people who still have good hearts. Doing good or evil things is a choice, not an outcome. That‘s such a different mindset from literally every other anime relying on sob backstories to farm sympathy.
Meanwhile, part 3 Dio is just JOJOOOO ROAD ROLLER DAAA

Speedwagon himself constrasted a lot to Dio. He is picked up on slums, who knows what his childhood was like, but is kinda noble.
Dio wanted to see the world burn because his life and how unfair he thought that Jonathan had it easy and good. Dio kinda reformed in part 1 ending... if Araki didn't go for part 3, you know what, that was not enough for Dio. It's very sick how much he cares about beating joestar family, so he is a good villain.
Eyes of heaven game has an even more over the top "Dio is never gonna be satisfied" take.

As antagonist he poses as the perfect polar reverse Jonathan.
Ask the four w's for him: Why? When? What? hoW? All are explained in all of his appearances. (you can dislike the answers but they are clear) So he is a good built character.
Personally, I don't remember the Roller so much.
~~ps: His archetype as Antagonist is pretty common, so your friend might be saying I already saw something like that, ask him about Orocchimaru and Joker.
Jul 18, 2022 4:06 PM
Jul 2018
I think he's a good villain. But at the same time, I don't know how he gets so much love as a character. He's such a detestable person. I can understand how some people might not have liked Jonathan for being as kind and understanding as he was with his enemies. But I blame his father for being too hard on him as a kid. Jonathan was aware of Dio's true motives and personality from the moment he started living with him. Whereas his father gave Dio way too much sympathy for his upbringing. And he treated Dio as more of a son than his actual son. Which, of course, there's nothing wrong with showing kindness to people less fortunate you. But Dio and his father were rotten to the core. No amount of kindness was going to change the people that they were.
removed-userJul 18, 2022 4:10 PM
Jul 18, 2022 9:43 PM

Aug 2018
Dio isn't exactly the most complex villain but he still has a lot that makes him intriguing, not to mention that a good antagonist doesn't always have to be multidimensional and complex. Emperor Palpatine and Frieza are not complex characters but they're good antagonists because of how they challenge the heroes of their respective stories.
"Piccolo you have no sauce"
Jul 19, 2022 2:14 AM
Oct 2021
I like him because he is iconic.
Jul 19, 2022 10:36 AM
Nov 2020
Dio carries jjba, being one of the only well developed characters throughout the whole series
Jul 21, 2022 5:15 PM
Sep 2021
Can't he be both, he's extremely memorable and I think he's baciscally if kanye west was an anime villain
Jul 22, 2022 6:27 AM
Aug 2020
Part 1 Dio , with all my heart yes, Part 3, not at all and Part 6 Dio, im not sure
Jul 23, 2022 10:03 PM
Feb 2021
I think he's just ok honestly he doesn't really stand out to me among fictional villains/antagonists but he's not bad either
Jul 24, 2022 3:50 PM
May 2022
Dio was a cool villain but I think the best villian in the whole series is kira
Jul 24, 2022 3:52 PM

Sep 2018
He was a much better written antagonist during P1 compared to P3. That being said, he’s awesome in P3, I don’t really care. He’s Dio. That last fight is awesome and tense.

Jojo is one of those series where it’s so ridiculous and fun that you don’t really care how developed it is at times. Just enjoy the ride.
Jul 25, 2022 5:00 AM
Jul 2020
returntothenhk said:
He was a much better written antagonist during P1 compared to P3. That being said, he’s awesome in P3, I don’t really care. He’s Dio. That last fight is awesome and tense.

Jojo is one of those series where it’s so ridiculous and fun that you don’t really care how developed it is at times. Just enjoy the ride.

While I found Part 3 Dio better than P1 Dio, I definitely agree to the second half!
Jul 30, 2022 3:55 AM
Mar 2022
No he is terrible. Why he was mad at the jojo family from the start. It doesn't make any sense but the plot must be born somehow.
Sep 13, 2023 12:26 PM

Mar 2023
Nt great, but pretty good.
e
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2013

251 by titty »»
May 4, 5:06 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nidhoeggr - Nov 30, 2012

210 by crumb_fr »»
May 2, 7:48 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2013

166 by JohnZ_GGs »»
May 2, 1:16 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KiraYoshikage - Jan 11, 2013

160 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Apr 28, 12:33 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nidhoeggr - Jan 4, 2013

158 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Apr 25, 12:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.