Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 13, 2022 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
I heard this anime was really good and is over the top which I love. But then heard some ppl say it was Ecchi and some said it wasn’t. Don’t give me the kill la kill and say “Well technically it isn’t,” or the Monogatari where it has some underlying super deep meaning. If the average anime fan were to watch this, would they say this is Ecchi?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 13, 2022 9:19 AM
Oct 2016
It's definitely ecchi.
Jul 13, 2022 9:21 AM

May 2021
Nope,the Echhi elements are only there for an episode or two
Jul 13, 2022 9:22 AM
Sep 2020
LukeWho said:
I heard this anime was really good and is over the top which I love. But then heard some ppl say it was Ecchi and some said it wasn’t. Don’t give me the kill la kill and say “Well technically it isn’t,” or the Monogatari where it has some underlying super deep meaning. If the average anime fan were to watch this, would they say this is Ecchi?

yea probably, yoko is pretty much in a bikini all the time and it really gets shoved into your face but not all the time and it doesn't really get in a lot in the way only sone times the show is great and does make up for it
Jul 13, 2022 9:22 AM

Jan 2021
Not quite as blatantly as Kill la Kill is, but it probably qualifies. There's one episode in particular that 100% is.
Jul 13, 2022 9:23 AM
Jul 2021
Depends what you call ecchi. Is there some sort of fanservice? Sure. Is it excessive and unbearable? No, not really.
Jul 13, 2022 9:24 AM
Jun 2021
LukeWho said:

It is definitely an ecchi, but that is not it’s main purpose. It’s by studio gainax which also created studio trigger so you know there is gonna be some ecchi in it. Gainax/trigger love there ecchi.
Jul 13, 2022 9:26 AM
Jul 2018
DrBalls said:
Depends what you call ecchi. Is there some sort of fanservice? Sure. Is it excessive and unbearable? No, not really.
Like DXD, Prison School, Highschool of the Dead
Jul 13, 2022 9:27 AM
Jul 2021
LukeWho said:
DrBalls said:

No it's definitely not like that. There are girls who only wear bikini for example, but it's not sexualized by other characters and it's never the focus of attention in any of the episodes.
Jul 13, 2022 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
SparCy said:
LukeWho said:

It is definitely an ecchi, but that is not it’s main purpose. It’s by studio gainax which also created studio trigger so you know there is gonna be some ecchi in it. Gainax/trigger love there ecchi.
So was it originally Ecchi in the manga or did the studio make it Ecchi?
Jul 13, 2022 9:28 AM
Jul 2021
LukeWho said:
SparCy said:

Gurren Lagann is an original anime.
Jul 13, 2022 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
DrBalls said:
LukeWho said:

No it's definitely not like that. There are girls who only wear bikini for example, but it's not sexualized by other characters and it's never the focus of attention in any of the episodes.
Lets make a comparison. Both Gurren Lagann and Fire have fan service moments but would u call them Ecchi?
Jul 13, 2022 9:30 AM
Jun 2021
LukeWho said:
SparCy said:

it is an anime original it doesn’t have a source material. The ecchi isn’t that bad. After the first 8 episodes in basically goes away.
Jul 13, 2022 9:31 AM
Jul 2018
DrBalls said:
LukeWho said:

oh. So same question then. Did the creator of the show attend it to be Ecchi or was it the studio? Or did the studio make the anime idk
Jul 13, 2022 9:32 AM
Jul 2021
LukeWho said:
DrBalls said:

Lets make a comparison. Both Gurren Lagann and Fire have fan service moments but would u call them Ecchi?

If you mean Fire Force, then there is no ecchi of that sort. In fire force, the ecchi element is clearly present, the characters always do sth to sexualize some of the girls for example. You don't have that in Gurren Lagann, from what I remember there are some weird jiggle physics at times, but that's only at the start of the series, as the story progresses, it takes a darker tone, and even some small moments that may be considered ecchi stop completely.
Jul 13, 2022 9:33 AM
Aug 2021
A slight amount or ecchi but not really.

On the other hand this show is definitely mid 🐶👺
Jul 13, 2022 9:34 AM
Jul 2018
DrBalls said:
LukeWho said:

If you mean Fire Force, then there is no ecchi of that sort. In fire force, the ecchi element is clearly present, the characters always do sth to sexualize some of the girls for example. You don't have that in Gurren Lagann, from what I remember there are some weird jiggle physics at times, but that's only at the start of the series, as the story progresses, it takes a darker tone, and even some small moments that may be considered ecchi stop completely.
so would u say there even in the amount of Ecchi/fan service they have or one has more than the other
Jul 2021
LukeWho said:
DrBalls said:

oh. So same question then. Did the creator of the show attend it to be Ecchi or was it the studio? Or did the studio make the anime idk

The creator of the show is the director. Who was also a staff member of the studio. And no, he didn't intend it to be ecchi. The purpose of Gurren Lagann, was to create a shonen anime mixed with seinen elements. So a battle anime, with over the top action, mixed with some dark and emotional moments.

Apr 2016
Well, it definitely has fanservice and could be considered Ecchi in the first episodes, but it isn't Ecchi at all in the second half.

I don't think anyone would consider it "unbearable".
Jul 13, 2022 9:35 AM
Jul 2021
LukeWho said:
DrBalls said:

so would u say there even in the amount of Ecchi/fan service they have or one has more than the other

Again, fire force is an ecchi, gurren lagann is more tame. No, definitely not even. Gurren lagann barely even has any real scenes that can be considered ecchi.
Jul 13, 2022 9:40 AM
Jul 2018
DrBalls said:
LukeWho said:

Again, fire force is an ecchi, gurren lagann is more tame. No, definitely not even. Gurren lagann barely even has any real scenes that can be considered ecchi.
that’s funny cuz neither on Crunchyroll or MAL does fire force have a Ecchi tag. Makes sense on mal cuz that’s determined my moderators so if their favorite show is labeled Ecchi, they’re not gonna wanna put it
Jul 13, 2022 9:43 AM
Nov 2021
those people don't know what they're talking about this isn't an ecchi whatsoever. There's just one girl who walks around in a skimpy outfit but that's not really ecchi that's just how she's dressed. There's no ecchi.
Jul 13, 2022 10:06 AM
Apr 2021
Not echi at all. Maybe like one episode there is a little fanservice but barley any
Jul 13, 2022 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
Bruh_epic said:
Not echi at all. Maybe like one episode there is a little fanservice but barley any
Ik this off topic but how many ppl u have added with Lelouch pfp’s like dang 😅
Jul 13, 2022 10:17 AM

Jan 2021
Nothing as heavy as Kill la Kill or Monogatari. The ecchi formed an integral part of those shows.

The fanservice in this show is more like the fanservice in your typical isekai- there will be some jiggle physics but it is very very occasional and not rooted in the show's message or presentation at all.

Simply said, you're worrying for no reason, the show isn't what you're expecting it to be.
Jul 13, 2022 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
I do not think so. Yes, there were a few scenes that could be classified under ecchi but they literally lasted moments so I don't know if we can include it under the ecchi category.
Jul 13, 2022 10:29 AM

Jan 2009
Kill la Kill has way more ecchi than Gurren Lagann and both are created by the same staff
Jul 13, 2022 10:38 AM
Aug 2020
Not ecchi at all. Yoko’s ridiculous outfit doesn’t make the whole show ecchi.
Jul 13, 2022 10:41 AM

May 2017
LukeWho said:
DrBalls said:

There is Ecchi but nowhere near as much as these ones
Jul 13, 2022 10:52 AM
Oct 2021
There is a good amount of ecchi but it's not an ecchi show nor does it ruin it
Jul 13, 2022 11:02 AM
Jul 2018
Kingdom_of_KLR said:
If some anime have fan service doesn't mean it's automatically become ecchi anime
im just seeing if it has that much fan service to be labeled as Ecchi which it seems like it doesn’t
Jul 13, 2022 11:17 AM
Jul 2022
Not in the slightest
Jul 13, 2022 11:34 AM

Apr 2020
Yes. 100%
If that’s not your thing, don’t watch it.
"Humans are like isolated islands, floating in the sea of fate.
Human encounters are like the collision of these lonely islands, and once they touch, there would be an effect. Sometimes, the islands would stick together, in the name of ‘interest’, ‘kinship’, ‘friendship’, ‘love’ and ‘hate’. But eventually, they would separate, walking towards the path of destruction.

This is the truth behind life."

-Fang Yuan
Jul 13, 2022 11:46 AM

Jan 2020
It has fan service and I think it's thematically appropriate. The whole theme and aesthetics of the show are over the top, so, for me, it didn't feel out of place when fan service happened. Over sexualization is a form of exaggeration, and Gurren Lagann is all about taking tropes one step beyond (though some anime released after it have raised the bar in some aspects, I still think TTGL is amazing).

And as people already said, it's a thing that happens a few times, not a focus aspect of the show.
Jul 13, 2022 12:17 PM
May 2020
Wouldn't go so far as to call it an Ecchi, but the fanservice is excessive. Yoko's (the female lead) entire character is just boobs and ass.
Jul 13, 2022 12:34 PM

Jul 2022
DrBalls said:

Been a while since I watched it, but this probably how I'd put it.

People who watch for Yoko will have plenty to enjoy, but what I think of when I look back on Gurren Lagann is giant robots fighting and believing in the you that believes in me
Jul 13, 2022 12:58 PM
Jul 2022
Well, speaking that Yoko Littner happens to be my waifu, I say yes but only really for her
Jul 13, 2022 12:59 PM
Jun 2022
Mugglus said:
It's definitely ecchi.

No, It's Fan Service made by Yoko Littner.
Jul 13, 2022 1:08 PM

Sep 2007
Nah; somebody lied to you. Frikking Dragonball Z is more ecchi than this show.

That said; yes, you do have one character whose daily wear is a bikini top and short shorts. There are some jiggle physics.There's a hotspring episode and... that's it.

Not really 'only watch when no-one else is home' or 'be ready to alt+tab away at a moment's notice. :/

Even with that hotspring episode IIRC it uh... doesn't really go down like a traditional hotspring/beach episode...
Jul 13, 2022 1:34 PM
Dec 2021
no the only real ecchi part is that Yoko wears a bikini
Jul 13, 2022 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
DrBalls said:
LukeWho said:

The creator of the show is the director. Who was also a staff member of the studio. And no, he didn't intend it to be ecchi. The purpose of Gurren Lagann, was to create a shonen anime mixed with seinen elements. So a battle anime, with over the top action, mixed with some dark and emotional moments.
Was that the same situation with Kill la kill where the studio made it Ecchi?
Jul 13, 2022 2:29 PM
Jan 2022
Nah it just has fan service
Jul 13, 2022 4:12 PM
Jul 2018
Nope, not ecchi IMO.
Jul 13, 2022 7:08 PM

Dec 2019
it has ecchi, but it's not too intrusive, and it's definitely more prevalent towards the beginning.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2022 7:49 PM
Apr 2021
LukeWho said:
Bruh_epic said:
Ik this off topic but how many ppl u have added with Lelouch pfp’s like dang 😅
lol whenever I see a Lelouch pfp I just send them a friend request 😂
Jul 13, 2022 8:32 PM
Feb 2019
Quick answer? NO
simple answer: the shounen aspect has fan service which could confuse people if a show is ecchi or not. Example: Naruto’s sexy no jutsu is fan service it doesn’t make the show ecchi.
Ask if that was confusing
Jul 14, 2022 1:06 AM
Mar 2022
Not really except for Yoko sometimes
Jul 14, 2022 1:28 AM

Aug 2021
its clearly not ecchi, If is because of Yoko tell that people to stfu
Jul 14, 2022 1:31 AM

Aug 2021
people complaining about a bikini girl... sad that people still live at 1856
Jul 14, 2022 4:11 AM
Jul 2021
Nope not really. Only a few eps, definitly watch it its worth it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

23 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Apr 25, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.