Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 8, 2022 7:26 AM
Dec 2020
Before I start I know many of you will simply tell me to read the manga however I won’t. I just can’t seem to enjoy reading mangas and I don’t want to ruin my experience with something amazing like berserk.

The question I want to ask is whether I should watch this version (tv series) or watch the 3 movies. Btw I’m not talking about 2016 one
Jul 8, 2022 7:36 AM
Jul 2021
1997 ver only. The movies have garbage cgi, almost on the same level as the 2016 counterpart, but the 2D sequences are great for the most part.

Before I forget, you'll need to read the manga after watching either the series or movies, because they both adapt the same arc which ends on the biggest cliffhanger of all time. Unless you want to get through the 2016 adaptation....
hbvnfjJul 8, 2022 7:40 AM
Jul 8, 2022 7:37 AM
Jan 2018
The TV series has an heir of 90s anime excellence. Along with the lack of color, and touches of darkness in all the right places. The new movies are not bad by any means, but I will say that they are not able to capture the vibe Berserk gives off in the manga, as well as the 90s Berserk TV series does. I highly recommend you watch the show first, then the movies.
Jul 8, 2022 7:41 AM
Apr 2021
Better to not watch it then. The movies have really bad animation quality (also its incomplete). The 90's adaptation is good but they really condensed the story (it's incomplete too).
Jul 8, 2022 7:48 AM
Apr 2020
Sanyko20 said:
Before I start I know many of you will simply tell me to read the manga however I won’t. I just can’t seem to enjoy reading mangas and I don’t want to ruin my experience with something amazing like berserk.

The question I want to ask is whether I should watch this version (tv series) or watch the 3 movies. Btw I’m not talking about 2016 one

Ignore the first comment, his take is bad and wrong, but as the second person said the best experience possible would be watching the 97 version then the movies trilogy
The old TV series has great osts and good animation for its time, and the pacing is acceptable compared to the manga because they still managed to cut stuff here and there yet nothing very important to story, but the problem with it is that it ended in a huge cliffhanger, that's why you need to watch the movies because besides their good CGI and somewhat okay pacing (worse than the 97 version but still expected from movies compilation) they actually ended the golden age arc with its conclusion that wasn't shown in the anime back then
Jul 8, 2022 7:55 AM
Jul 2021
Khalil04 said:
Sanyko20 said:

Ignore the first comment, his take is bad and wrong, but as the second person said the best experience possible would be watching the 97 version then the movies trilogy
The old TV series has great osts and good animation for its time, and the pacing is acceptable compared to the manga because they still managed to cut stuff here and there yet nothing very important to story, but the problem with it is that it ended in a huge cliffhanger, that's why you need to watch the movies because besides their good CGI and somewhat okay pacing (worse than the 97 version but still expected from movies compilation) they actually ended the golden age arc with its conclusion that wasn't shown in the anime back then

"Bad and wrong" I found the nazi lmao.
Jul 8, 2022 8:16 AM
Oct 2020
1997 tv anime is the best starting point.
you can continue the story by getting into the manga
Jul 8, 2022 10:59 AM
May 2021
97 anime follows the tone of the manga better and is slightly more faithful. both adaptations leave out tons of details.
Jul 8, 2022 11:01 AM
Nov 2021
just watch the 97 one it's the only good adaptation and an all time great. Don't watch anything after that they all suck instead read the manga at the point the 97 show leaves off
Jul 8, 2022 11:28 AM
Mar 2021
Don't watch it then cause you will stay the biggest cliffhanger of all time.
Jul 8, 2022 12:38 PM
Apr 2020
I'd recommend the original anime from 97. the movies were good imo and the cgi is not nearly as horrible as in the 2016 (but it is still jarring) so if you finish the original series, want more and still don't want to read the manga I'd watch the movies and I'd stay away from the newest series
Jul 8, 2022 12:43 PM
Apr 2021
Khalil04 said:
Sanyko20 said:

Man you made me a villian.
V3nomishereJul 8, 2022 12:48 PM
Jul 8, 2022 12:45 PM
Apr 2021
Madhav001 said:

Man I said the same thing and someone made me a villian
V3nomishereJul 8, 2022 12:49 PM
Jul 8, 2022 12:46 PM
Nov 2021
just watch the 1997 anime its really underrated and good but read the manga first or read the manga after thats how i did it
Jul 8, 2022 12:50 PM
Apr 2021
thisonebee said:
just watch the 1997 anime its really underrated and good but read the manga first or read the manga after thats how i did it

he said he wouldn't be reading the manga. It's hopeless 😔☹️
Jul 8, 2022 1:07 PM
Mar 2021
V3nomishere said:
Madhav001 said:

I can understand you.... Some people don't accept things till they come to terms with themselves.....
Jul 8, 2022 1:13 PM
Apr 2020
V3nomishere said:
Khalil04 said:

What do you mean ?
I didn't even mention you
Jul 8, 2022 1:15 PM
Apr 2021
Khalil04 said:
V3nomishere said:

What do you mean ?
I didn't even mention you

I thought I was the first comment 😐
Doesn't matter either way cause I was joking
Jul 8, 2022 1:16 PM
Apr 2021
Madhav001 said:
V3nomishere said:

I can understand you.... Some people don't accept things till they come to terms with themselves.....
that's a beautiful quote
Jul 8, 2022 1:47 PM
Mar 2021
V3nomishere said:
Madhav001 said:

that's a beautiful quote

Hehe just wrote like that....😋
Jul 8, 2022 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
Well, the manga goes downhill after the Golden Age arc anyways, so you are fine just watching the '93 TV version.
Jul 8, 2022 2:45 PM
Feb 2020
Sanyko20 said:

I watched the OG a while back and enjoyed it, as well as the 2016 one if imma be honest but it was more me just putting up with it because i was stubborn. I had the same mentality that I didn't wanna read the manga cuz I'm not really a manga kind of person. Also there's a lot of instances where the anime trumps the manga really well (Demon Slayer being the biggest instance for me).

I was hesitant on starting the manga because of this, but once I did I was absolutely blown away by the art and how well Kentaro Miura brought the pages to life, way better than the anime or the movies could.

If you were to watch one, I'd say the 1997 version over any movies cuz while the old school animation is a little wacky at times, it's still better than the CGI they did for the movies imo. I will also say that there are about 6 prologue chapters in the beginning of the manga that I dont believe were ever fully animated. I recommend giving those a read first and see if the manga is for you or not. You get a good taste of what the manga has to offer.
Jul 8, 2022 6:43 PM

Jul 2021
the 1997 one is the best adaption one that they’ve made, other than that just read the manga tbh
Jul 8, 2022 11:00 PM
Jan 2021
The manga reigns supreme. If you don't want to read it, however, go for the '97 series, a quality anime.
Jul 10, 2022 2:25 AM
Jan 2022
YOU HAVE TO WATCH BERSERK REDUX. THE BEST WAY TO TAKE IN THE WHOLE ANIME. FAN EDITED
Jul 10, 2022 2:25 AM
Jan 2022
BERSERK REDUX is the way to go
Jul 10, 2022 8:21 AM
Feb 2022
Sanyko20 said:

watch the tv series first then the final movie of beserk it tells about the Skelton knight whereas in anime it's skipped after that u can either read the manga or watch 2016 version but u will probably need a lot of bleach to watch that shit and even after u finish the 2016 version u will eventually have to read the manga because beserk won't be getting an adaptation anytime soon
Jul 11, 2022 1:17 AM
Mar 2019
the 97 series first then the films are worth the watch, great music & extra parts of the story, cgi isn't atrocious or prominent (unlike 2016 series)
Jul 12, 2022 2:20 AM
Oct 2020
The 90's anime is infinitely better than the movies.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 8 Discussion

Zell182 - Aug 4, 2009

43 by Lun4t1cc »»
May 13, 4:53 AM

» Berserk Golden Age Sequel

18927 - Apr 21

22 by eaten-apple »»
Apr 22, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Friendlysoul - Mar 11, 2008

513 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 12, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

76 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 12, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

78 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 11:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.