Forum Settings
Forums

'Yu☆Gi☆Oh!' Creator Kazuki Takahashi Dies at 60

New
Jul 7, 2022 8:53 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Manga creator Kazuki Takahashi, best known for the Yu☆Gi☆Oh! manga series, died on Thursday. He was 60 years old.

According to the NHK, a person reported to the Japan Coast Guard at around 10:30 in July 6 that a body was floating 300 meters from the coast of Nago city, Okinawa prefecture. The Coast Guard found Takahashi with snorkeling gear. The Coast Guard and police are investigating the incident at the moment.

Born Kazuo Takahashi in Tokyo in 1961, he began his manga career in 1982. Takahashi launched the Yu☆Gi☆Oh! manga in Weekly Shounen Jump and serialized from September 1996 to March 2004. The manga led to the creation of the Trading Card Game of the same name, originally published by Bandai and then Konami.

Takahashi recently serialized two short manga. The ComiQ, ran for 7 chapters in Weekly Shounen Jump from October to November 2018 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the magazine. The second one, Secret Reverse released in Shounen Jump+ in 2019.

Toei Animation adapted Yu☆Gi☆Oh! into a 27-episode television anime adaptation in April 1998 and ended in October of the same year. Studio Gallop produced the 224-episode television anime adaptation of the same manga which ran from April 2000 to September 2004.

Multiple sequels, spin-offs, and movies aired over the years. The latest, Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Go Rush!!, began airing on April 3 this year.

Source: NHK
DatRandomDudeJul 7, 2022 11:56 AM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 7, 2022 8:53 AM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
Rest in peace, legend. We will never forget what you brought to us.
Jul 7, 2022 8:55 AM

Jan 2009
he made the rival of Magic The Gathering so RIP
Jul 7, 2022 9:00 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I never thought I would get into Yu-Gi-Oh, especially this hard... like sure, I lived through the times when both the anime and trading card game were really big and stuff in the 2000s, but I never really followed it or bothered to give it a chance. Even when I was in high school, someone tried to get me to read the manga and watch Season 0, but for some reason I didn't go through with that... and now here I am, having bought all the 3-in-1 omnibuses of the manga for my birthday this year and just finished watching Battle City yesterday... what awful timing on my part, huh?

I guess I really was like Jounouchi towards this series for so long, haha... hurts a bit to learn how long it took for him to get success as a manga-ka too.

RIP true King of Games, keep on fighting like a true Duelist!!

Jul 7, 2022 9:01 AM

Nov 2020
RIP the legend Kazuki Takahashi and thanks for creating Yu-Gi-Oh! manga, anime, and the card game. That's mean a lot for my childhood, now, and forever.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Jul 7, 2022 9:02 AM

Dec 2011
When I heard the news I couldn’t help but cry. It’s devastating and unfair, the way they found him, and it hurts knowing there was more he wanted to share/create. His doodle postings on instagram always made me happy whenever I’d see them.

“In the distant future, when we are long gone, I hope that everyone can live together in harmony without races or borders.” - Kazuki Takahashi, 2003

Forever loved. Rest in peace king.
Jul 7, 2022 9:10 AM

Mar 2013
Oh, FUCK!!! Please, no! There is a legend gone again from my childhood. I can't enough thank him how much fun I had with his creaton (Yugioh! TCG) at that time, I did thousand of hours with his game play! I'll then as respect the cards in honor keep!!!

R.I.P. Takahashi-san, my condolence going to his family and friends!!!
Jul 7, 2022 9:14 AM

Jun 2011
This isn't how he was supposed to go out..hope he finds happiness beyond this realm.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Jul 7, 2022 9:20 AM

Jul 2012
Another legend from my childhood dies... this hurts a lot.

rest in peace sweet prince. You won't be forgotten.

I'll keep my yu gi oh cards forever.

rip. :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2022 9:26 AM

Apr 2007
This is so heartbreaking. I absolutely love the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise and am grateful to Takahashi for starting it all.

RIP and thank you for everything.
Jul 7, 2022 9:44 AM

Mar 2021
Rip

Another legend gone.
Jul 7, 2022 10:00 AM
Mar 2020
Yu-Gi-Oh! marked my generation by being both a very enjoyable show and an awesome card game. Dueling with my friends at school sure was the best period of my life.
I can't thank you enough for that.

Rest in Peace, King of Games.
Jul 7, 2022 10:12 AM

Aug 2021
Rest in peace sir.

Jul 7, 2022 10:12 AM

Nov 2017
Deepest Condolences. Rest In Peace Legend.
Jul 7, 2022 10:14 AM

Aug 2020
This man defined a large part of my childhood. I remember staying up late nights watching yu gi oh episodes and being so hyped and inspired. Also I remember playing yu gi oh cards with some of my friends at school. Thank you so much Mr.Takashi, and know that we all love you. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Jul 7, 2022 10:17 AM

May 2020
I was once a duelist of this game for more than a decade back then.

RIP.

His creation is a big part of my childhood.

Also, i wonder how will they create new cards now???

Also,they should playtest the cards well.
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Jul 7, 2022 10:25 AM

Nov 2015
Rest in peace Kazuki Takahashi
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jul 7, 2022 10:28 AM

Jan 2020
Just saw this -- that totally sucks. He created one of my favorite manga and one heck of a card game. RIP Takahashi.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 7, 2022 10:30 AM

Oct 2018
Rest in Piece. Sad to hear.

I enjoyed playing Yu-Gi-Oh back when I was in school.
And when creation goes to die
You can find me in the sky
Upon the last day

And you will be okay
Jul 7, 2022 10:38 AM

Oct 2013
I was never a fan of this franchise, but I know how popular and iconic it was. Well, it still is an probably will be. Rest in peace.
Jul 7, 2022 10:39 AM

Nov 2017
RIP. His works are historic and will never be forgotten.

plz @ me
Jul 7, 2022 10:41 AM

Feb 2021
Rest in peace, dear author.
Jul 7, 2022 10:50 AM

Apr 2012
It was sudden, I even found out for the first time who was the author of such a huge and iconic franchise thanks to this news. I don’t want to be hypocritical, so I’ll just express my condolences to his relatives and fans of his work.

Also, do I understand correctly that Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Go Rush!! now how will Zero no Tsukaima become his posthumous and final work for the franchise? I know it's much wider, more popular and more expensive than Berserker, but it's hard for me to imagine that it was also taken after the death of the author.

RobertBobertJul 7, 2022 10:54 AM
Jul 7, 2022 11:28 AM
Dec 2017
According to hungarian press reports, he had bite injuries suggesting a shark attack.

Something is abnormal with sharks nowadays: there have been two fatal shark attacks in the Red Sea near Egypt during last week.
Jul 7, 2022 11:29 AM
Jul 2019
RIP, I might have to fire up the gameboy or watch the show for nostalgias sake.

Like many others I grew up on Yu-Gi-Oh even more than Pokemon. It was blowing up back in 2002 when I was in elementary school kids would bring their card packs to school and open them. Also those old card mats made out of paper and duel each other on the blacktop playground. Ahhh the good ole days. Also would watch random episodes of the early anime series and played a couple of the games on my gameboy.

Thanks for everything Takahashi!
Jul 7, 2022 11:37 AM

Nov 2017
rest in peace Takahashi-san. I really had a fun childhood playing yugioh cards with my friends back then and also inspired me to draw because of the art works in the cards. thank you so much! T.T
Jul 7, 2022 11:48 AM

May 2020
The legend whose work brought many to the anime medium itself, really an irreplaceable loss for the industry.
Jul 7, 2022 11:50 AM

Mar 2013
Hitagi__Furude said:

Well, I guess he had some assistences/coullegues in his studio - they may be continue it. Or Konami will probably buy the right/license and so continue... Dunno. We'll sooner or later an annoucememt about it hear.
Jul 7, 2022 12:17 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Yugioh, like Pokemon, DBZ, Gundam and Naruto was a very big and influential part of my life growing up, and I will be forever grateful to Takahashi-sensei for creating one of the series that defined my childhood and made it so much more enjoyable

I'm very concerned by the situation surrounding his death, but I truly hope that he is resting in peace with the Pharaoh like the legend that he was in life

Jul 7, 2022 12:40 PM

Apr 2012
Tenryuu1 said:
Hitagi__Furude said:

Well, I guess he had some assistences/coullegues in his studio - they may be continue it. Or Konami will probably buy the right/license and so continue... Dunno. We'll sooner or later an annoucememt about it hear.

Well, the original author hasn't been involved in the creation of Pokemon for a long time, but the producers continue to develop the brand in as many directions as possible. Japan is one of the world leaders in terms of the development of the entertainment industry. Unfortunately, after his death, the franchise will become the so-called "zombie franchise", that is, developed without the participation of the author due to his death.
Jul 7, 2022 1:09 PM

Dec 2014
So sudden and unexpected. RIP.
Jul 7, 2022 1:17 PM

Jan 2022
Wow, really wasn't expecting this, my heart goes out to all affected. He really was a legend.

Jul 7, 2022 1:24 PM
Aug 2009
RIP Kazuki Takahashi,
This news made me so sad. It was one of the animes that played the most part in my childhood, everyone in Portugal had a deck of Yu-gi-Oh it was 2005 and everyone played a duel between breaks. Good times, thank you so much for making my childhood better, and thank you for the memories too.
Jul 7, 2022 1:29 PM

Apr 2021
Another legend gone in a tragic way, first Miura then him

Jul 7, 2022 1:31 PM
Feb 2022
Sad to hear because along with DBZ Yugioh was one of the first anime I ever watched, and I can remember playing the card game all the time when I was in elementary school RIP to a legend.
Jul 7, 2022 1:34 PM

Dec 2012
OMG! I can't believe what I'm witnessing right now (Note: I spent close to an hour typing this post). I was just about to go to sleep then I saw it trending and my only reaction reading it said was "WHAT?!" with my eye all wide in shock. I was speechless. I don't know what to feel right now because I really can't believe it.

I started with the Duel Monsters anime. It was my favorite anime (at the time). I would pray before I went to sleep that I would wake up in time in order to watch it. I was obsessed with it. No other series came close. Yami Yugi was my favorite character. He was just so cool. But that was just the anime (an adaptation which makes changes). Then... I read the original manga by Takahashi himself. A whole new world was opened. From chapter 1 to chapter 343... what a journey it was. The only way I can explain it is... masterpiece. Takahashi is a genius. To create a new game each chapter is no easy thing to do, but he did it. He loved games and he showed us how creative he was. Those first 59 chapters of the manga are my favorite along with the games during the DDD are my favorite. He created a main character (Yami Yugi) that was diverse in his skillset rather than being good in only one thing, which I find to be boring. That is why Takahashi made him Yugiou (Game King). Like I said before, his manga opened a whole new world. There was no way I could go back and watch the anime and its spinoffs. They just weren't the Yugioh Takahashi intended. 5D's is my 2nd favorite because it is the closest out of all the spinoffs to the original series, but that's it.

It's currently the 25th anniversary of the manga (ends in September) and this is such an unfortunate thing to happen. I was disappointed last year that a new Yugioh anime correctly adapting the manga wasn't announced to celebrate the 25th anniversary. It shouldn't even have come to this, but I hope the folks at Shueisha (or Takahashi's executive friends who approached him to do something for the 20th manga anniversary that resulted in The Dark Side of Dimensions manga canon movie) do in fact decide to honor his greatness by remaking the anime. Forget card games and anime trying to sell a card game. Yugioh is about story. The world needs to experience the true story of Takahashi's manga.

Takahashi, you are my manga GOAT. Toriyama, Oda, Kishimoto, Kubo? No disrespect to them, but your manga was better. Thank you so much creating Yugioh. Thank you for creating Yami Yugi. He's my GOAT. Thank you for creating Seto Kaiba. The greatest rival. Thank you for creating the greatest rivalry in manga. Thank you for creating Transcend Game and The Dark Side of Dimensions. Never did I expect the post-manga landscape of Yugioh to allow a manga sequel and manga canon movie to be made. It was a great 2 part manga, and movie that I spent 6 hours watching on my 1st watch because I had to savor everything I saw since that could be the last time I see Yugi-tachi again in new material. I can't believe it really is the last piece of new material (aside from Spherium II since that is only an idea and not concrete).

We all have a single chip called life. You made yours count. This isn't the story of a great Pharaoh. Everyone has a story of their own... and that story ends in light. Thank you for having the biggest impact on my life Takahashi. I love you.

--------------------------

If you haven't read Takahashi's manga that started it all, here is the Kazuki Takahashi manga canon (because the 2 adaptations in 1998 and 2000 butchered it):

Yugioh (In English, Viz Media weirdly split the story into Yugioh, Duelist, Millennium World) > Transcend Game > The Dark Side of Dimensions
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jul 7, 2022 1:56 PM

Jul 2017
Very thankful for his work. My childhood wouldn't have been the same without this legend. RIP.

Jul 7, 2022 2:10 PM

Jun 2014
Thanks to this legend for the impact he had on my childhood and the childhoods of so many others. He was taken from us way too soon. RIP
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 7, 2022 2:17 PM

Mar 2014
Oh man this is really sad, RIP to the legend
Jul 7, 2022 2:33 PM

Jul 2019
This man was the reason why I am here in this community. This man is the stepping stone to my anime life. This man is my founding father to the world of all things Japan.

I got into anime via YuGiOh GX as it was airing on Kix back in the day. It had a weird name, so I thought I would check it out and my god it awakened some ultimate nerd being within me to some level I never thought was possible. It was just, the most fun I have had with a TV show in so long. Seeing people battle with card was unbelievably entertaining to an absurd degree. I just could not believe what my eyes were feasting on. Watched a ton of the show and went as far as to watch some of the seasons that did not air on Kix (there was only season 1). Of course, it got more interesting and still had the same entertainment value to it. Went and looked into more of the series and found out it was part of a franchise altogether. A ridiculously big one.

YuGiOh is (literally) more than an anime. Takahashi Kazuki went and created childhoods, created peak card game, and just a banger universe. Even tho I am not into YuGiOh as much as I was before (parents and other anime got to me) this will forever be the GOAT without question. I may love Demon Slayer, hell even Bleach, a lot, but YuGiOh is on a different level simply no other anime, now and forever, cannot hope to top.

This creation is such a blessing in my life, and I thank this king, Takahashi, for such a great creation. RIP GOAT.
Jul 7, 2022 2:49 PM
May 2015
An unexpected fate for a truly great artist/writer.

May his soul rest in peace.
Jul 7, 2022 3:10 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Damn. I really like Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters anime, but I never got into the other series like GX or 5Ds. The Egyptian mysticism of the Millennium items is what lead me to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! and collect the trading cards that I still have lying around the house along with my Baseball and Pokemon cards. What a sad turn of events.

RIP

It's time to DDDDDDDDD-Duel!!!!!!!
AddaeAkonoJul 7, 2022 3:15 PM
Jul 7, 2022 4:12 PM

Jan 2017
Damn...very sad news. Rest in Peace Kazuki Takahashi. Thank you for creating a series that brought a lot of joy for me during my teenage years.
Jul 7, 2022 4:21 PM
Jan 2022
Rest In Peace Legend.
hydero
Jul 7, 2022 4:26 PM

Jun 2020
Yugioh was a important part of my childhood and i still enjoy some media of the franchise even nowadays. Thank you, and rest in peace.
Jul 7, 2022 4:50 PM

Nov 2012
Sad notice, legend, rest in peace.

My Candies:

Jul 7, 2022 6:02 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Oh my, what a shocking news.
I played Yugioh too and watched the anime, this is saddening.

Rest in Peace

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jul 7, 2022 6:35 PM

Feb 2022
Very sad news. Praying for his family and friends.
Jul 7, 2022 8:34 PM
Dec 2015
Devastating circumstances.
Yu-Gi-Oh...a pillar in many upbringings.
Rest in peace, Sir.
Jul 7, 2022 10:16 PM

Mar 2022
R.I.P. To a legend
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Tsue to Tsurugi no Wistoria' Unveils Additional Pair of Cast

Hyperion_PS - 3 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
3 hours ago

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - May 12

43 by Nightleon »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Hanazakari no Kimitachi e' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - May 14

39 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
Today, 12:36 AM

» 'Megami no Café Terrace Season 2' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - May 14

17 by MegamiRem »»
Yesterday, 12:13 PM

» Winners of the 48th Kodansha Manga Awards

Snow - May 15

12 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.