Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 19, 2022 9:04 PM

Jan 2009
low since the character designer and chief animation director might change for someone that is more cheaper
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1538214928972238848
https://twitter.com/moon_dweller5/status/1538215942773256192

edit:

looks like it will be fine since the new cd and cad is the one that did vivy https://myanimelist.net/people/15749/Yuuichi_Takahashi
degOct 17, 2023 1:20 PM
Jun 19, 2022 11:08 PM

Jun 2019
It sounds just like what happened to Kemono Friends all over again in the 2017 - 2019 period.
Jun 19, 2022 11:21 PM
May 2020
As excited as I was when I first saw news of Mononoke movie, I won't keep my hopes up. They made a 2-minute trailer with scenes recycled from the anime series. My initial thought was there won't be any new content in the movie (aka condensing 12 episodes into one film), maybe they rushed the news and promotions too soon?
Jun 20, 2022 1:16 AM

Jan 2021
Wow I was really surprised and excited for this announcement. Shame that it seems like a ton of drama is surrounding it. Hopefully it can pull through all the turmoil and end up as a high quality product.
Jun 20, 2022 1:45 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I expect it to be some sort of recap movie with minor alterations, though I'm unsure whether it'll be able to capture the atmosphere of the original series.
I quite liked the series so I hope my suspicion is wrong and contains fresh content as well.
Jun 20, 2022 2:18 AM
Oct 2018
That's... unexpected. But I'm too suspicious to be exited. Don't think they can recreate the surreal masterpiece that is Mononoke

Hope for the best, expect the worst. Is going to be my attitude
UfolyCloudDec 28, 2022 4:15 AM
Jun 20, 2022 4:03 AM
Dec 2019
im excited to this
Jun 20, 2022 5:34 AM

Jun 2016
I was never a fan of the series so I wonder how it'll go. It doesn't seem like an anime that's easy to make a movie without things dragging on.
Jun 20, 2022 6:22 AM

Apr 2020
Personally i am very excited! It looks a little "modernized" but i am so happy to visit the world of mononoke and especially Kusuriuri again :D
Jun 20, 2022 8:49 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
I'm excited! Kinda hopeful, but... will there be a real, full trailer that is not just some cut and paste remade video of the old series? Kind of a disappointing announcement video really.

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Jun 20, 2022 10:21 AM
Mar 2019
i hope they will preserve the animation style and the character traits, that's why we love it
Jun 20, 2022 11:52 AM
Dec 2020
I think the animation style's not changing(which is amazing) and we're probably going to get 1080p this time since it's a movie.
I was hoping we'd get 2nd season, but a movie's not that bad either.
Jun 20, 2022 5:12 PM
Aug 2020
Parthostic said:
The actual "movement" in the 07 series wasn't really anything to write home about, but given this is a movie there's definite cause for concern. Curious how much the production was set back by Hashimoto's outburst or if there will be any legal proceedings, but my expectations are still generally favourable. In any case, a damn shame to hear such gross negligence.

Is there somewhere we can find more information? Mononoke is my favorite anime ever, but I can't find the source of this controversy. Frankly, I was not even aware there is one. Thanks!
Jun 20, 2022 6:23 PM

Jan 2016
VasileTraian said:
Parthostic said:
The actual "movement" in the 07 series wasn't really anything to write home about, but given this is a movie there's definite cause for concern. Curious how much the production was set back by Hashimoto's outburst or if there will be any legal proceedings, but my expectations are still generally favourable. In any case, a damn shame to hear such gross negligence.

Is there somewhere we can find more information? Mononoke is my favorite anime ever, but I can't find the source of this controversy. Frankly, I was not even aware there is one. Thanks!

These are the original set of tweets from Hashimoto: https://twitter.com/norider1965/status/1538109289524772864?s=20&t=urPjxGhkEx29TT9aGTGsaA
It occurred recently so there's a chance we'll hear more about it shortly. @yuyucow on twitter explained the whole situation (which OP has provided a link to)
ParthosticJun 20, 2022 8:52 PM
Jun 20, 2022 11:04 PM

Jun 2015
Jun 22, 2022 11:38 AM

Jul 2020
and i thought the news of Spice and Wolf getting new anime content was random
Jun 25, 2022 3:02 AM

Aug 2017
I was really excited to hear the new Mononoke film announced, but I don't know what to expect for the movie since they only showed like 5 sec of the new preview in the trailer. With lack of information on the production and the changes of directors, it's hard for me to give an opinion. My brain is trying to tell me not to keep my hopes or expectations too high, but I can't help it. The original anime series was so unique and symbolic, and that's what makes me still like the anime in the first place.
Jun 26, 2022 12:47 PM

Oct 2020
Ranacchi said:
I expect it to be some sort of recap movie with minor alterations, though I'm unsure whether it'll be able to capture the atmosphere of the original series.
I quite liked the series so I hope my suspicion is wrong and contains fresh content as well.

Pretty sure if you read the article with it it says it’s all new stuff. Not really sure why everyone thinks it’s a recap when nothing of the sort was mentioned. I could be wrong though
Jun 28, 2022 11:50 AM

May 2016
I just REALLY hope they expand more on Kusuriuri's lore and his sword. I just see so much world-building potential. Like, my fav episode was the incense wood one. So much depth.
Jul 15, 2022 11:12 AM
Feb 2021
i just hope it... adds more lore of Kusuriuri`s lore in it:-)
Aug 31, 2022 11:50 AM
Jun 2021
My dearest, most fashionable, most fangirling-inducing Kusuriuri is BACK! I'm ready to scream to everyone I know about how I love Mononoke (again) when this movie comes out.
Sep 23, 2022 3:53 PM
Apr 2021
When i heard about this I could not bealive it. I dont know how to reply to someone, but the poster above was right. Most random anime film ever. But 2007 is my favorite anime so I am optimistically ultra hyped.

- THC DEADLIFT
Feb 28, 2023 12:53 AM

Nov 2007
Delayed,
Sakurai no longer returning as his role, which the setting will be different from tv series
New info. announced this summer.
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/514706 (in English)
tsubasaloverFeb 28, 2023 8:42 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 28, 2023 12:56 AM

Jan 2009
tsubasalover said:
Delayed,
Sakurai no longer returning as his role.
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/514706

lol i think im gonna skip this for sure, production problems this early on and the old staff will not return too
Feb 28, 2023 2:00 AM

Nov 2019
I expected the change of Sakurai Takahiro in any anime except Mononoke .. it sucks
Mar 1, 2023 4:33 PM

Jun 2015
Film's dead and it hasn't even premiered yet. Sad days. Although it's understandable, I guess.
Mar 7, 2023 1:40 AM
Aug 2020
Takahiro Sakurai is out.

The movie's budget is crowdfunded.

They announce the bloody thing before announcing a full cast.

They make this shitty Movie Maker trailer for it.

No. No. and again NO. I just hope the whole thing gets aborted (hehe...) and everyone forgets about it. And we remain with the masterpiece that is the original.
Mar 20, 2023 1:38 AM
Mar 2023
Wow, there's a lot to unpack here.

I recently watched Ayakashi / Mononoke for the first time and I was absolutely blown away by it. Horror was never particularly appealing to me, but it was so easy to like here. Even though I regret not seeing it for 15 years, I'm so so so grateful and happy it finally made it to me.

NGL I am curious for the movie, but it seems there is terrible turmoil inside the project, that could either deform it terribly or kill it off completely. I saw part of the drama here but it seems really shallow and he-said-she-said. 

Without Takahiro Sakurai VA-ing and without Takashi Hashimoto as character designer, we would probably feel very detached from the new Kusuriuri. Not that revamping is bad - probably a lot of the new generation will resonate with this cyberpunk-ish style , I even am curious about the possibility of a cyberpunk/traditional fusion horror, though it is very ambitious and might just not make it without that core foundation. We shall see.

Saying that, I really feel bad for the core of the show. As early as Ayakashi's Bakeneko, it's obvious Mononoke was a passion project through and through. Someone's love, sweat, blood and tears were poured into it, taking the huge risk that it will never be a household name but it will require the same amount of effort. It's sad for it to be torn from inside. I hope for the best for all involved.
Mar 20, 2023 8:59 AM
Aug 2020
Very saddened by how there are many complications for the movie. I hoped for Kusuriuri to have kept his previous voice actor who was amazing (Sakurai) but it seems due to internal issues, that won't be the case. I like the premise of the movie which has been stated to be based around Ooku women, and I'm very much looking forward to it. The new art style still resembles that of the old one thanks to the same director but there seems to be many issues which I hope won't hinder the final product. Although the release date has been postponed, I am hoping this movie of my favourite anime pulls through. Keeping expectations high โœจ๏ธ
Mar 23, 2023 12:37 PM

Nov 2019
The movie is facing many issues.
When the film was announced, a crowdfunding campaign was launched. Then when they announced Sakurai's replacement, fans "who want Sakurai to continue" demanded refunds. 
Apr 24, 2023 7:39 PM

Oct 2020
Dimah85 said:
The movie is facing many issues.
When the film was announced, a crowdfunding campaign was launched. Then when they announced Sakurai's replacement, fans "who want Sakurai to continue" demanded refunds. 
Well it's understandable. Somehow I just found this out and it feels like a  part of me has been taken.
Aug 3, 2023 8:31 PM

Nov 2007
Hiroshi Kamiya replaced Takahiro Sakurai in the role of Kusuriuri
Teaser Trailer and Visual
Summer 2024
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/535477

additional casts
trailer and new poster
Theme: "Love Sick" by Aina The End
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/571746
tsubasaloverMay 1, 3:35 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 3, 2023 8:49 PM

Jun 2015
tsubasalover said:
Hiroshi Kamiya replaced Takahiro Sakurai in the role of Kusuriuri
Teaser Trailer and Visual
Summer 2024
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/535477
ROFL.
Thanks for the news o/
Aug 3, 2023 11:31 PM

Jan 2009
holy shit the trailer looks fucking sickkkkk!
Aug 4, 2023 6:40 AM
Aug 2022
Change of VA is buuullllshiiiittt!!!

I dont care who cheated with what.

Whats that got anything to do with me?? I dont want levi as the medicine seller.  
Aug 4, 2023 1:26 PM

Nov 2019
Sakurai always mentioned that "Kusuriuri" was one of his important and unforgettable roles.

This is what he commented on last year - Mononoke's 15th anniversary event (June 2022).
"The impressive scene I remember during my first recording was when Director Nakamura sat down on the floor of the studio and started a lecture. Honestly, I got confused with the orders he was giving, which were different from the theory of animation recording I was aware of. He requested me things like : in every line, put some emotions in each cut; sound less interested; mutter the words; and so forth.
All the dots were connected after watching the broadcast, as I've found out director's creation. 
A flood of bizarre and mysterious images that are both horrific and beautiful. 
I call it the madness of vivid colors. It was an intense experience"
Aug 4, 2023 2:44 PM

Feb 2015
I don't understand all the fuss about the change of VA. It's not like Sakurai's voice is particularly unique, he has the typical young ikemen voice and can be replaced with Kamiya or even another who has the same common type of voice, with no problem.
If the Kusuriuri had a voice like Tsuda's it would be a problem since Tsuda's voice is unique, but that's just not the case here.

Moreover, seeing what was posted just above, Kusuriuri voicing was good especially because the seiyuu followed the instructions of director Nakamura who had a clear vision about it. Kamiya will just have to follow the same instructions and there'll be no problem.
Aug 4, 2023 6:03 PM

Jun 2015
EckhartPilgrim said:
I don't understand all the fuss about the change of VA. It's not like Sakurai's voice is particularly unique, he has the typical young ikemen voice and can be replaced with Kamiya or even another who has the same common type of voice, with no problem.
If the Kusuriuri had a voice like Tsuda's it would be a problem since Tsuda's voice is unique, but that's just not the case here.

Moreover, seeing what was posted just above, Kusuriuri voicing was good especially because the seiyuu followed the instructions of director Nakamura who had a clear vision about it. Kamiya will just have to follow the same instructions and there'll be no problem.
Did you watch the trailer? Kamiya's voice for the role is very different to Sakurai's. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's nowhere near.
Aug 5, 2023 12:36 AM

Feb 2015
Yes, I did. Voice is different but I don't hear any drastical change. Most important is that the voice acting kept Kusuriuri peculiar manner of speaking. That's all it matters to me, because when it comes to his voice I think Kusuriuri's character lies more in his way of speaking than in his voice itself.
EckhartPilgrimAug 11, 2023 2:23 PM
Aug 6, 2023 3:01 PM
Aug 2015
My doubts are if this is gonna be an secuel to the series or something independent ?? i would like that could be something cronologic but i dont know either way looks pretty good so far from the video
Oct 17, 2023 1:20 PM

Jan 2009
looks like it will be fine since the new cd and cad is the one that did vivy https://myanimelist.net/people/15749/Yuuichi_Takahashi
Feb 7, 7:07 AM

May 2010
I'm not certain if I even want to watch this production. I consider "Mononoke" as a real masterpiece, so I think the movie would be OK with the same team making it. However, if the staff is different, then it's a given that the movie would be pretty different, too. I like Hiroshi Kamiya, especially for Trafalgar Law, but it's still not the same as Sakurai. Having a voice of such an iconic character as Kusuriuri changed is simply BAD, because voice makes a character.

Also, why no-one comments on the change of the composer??? I found Ayakashi and Mononoke only because it was the great Yasuharu Takanashi, who composed the music for them, and soundtrack plays a vital role in the atmosphere. Now, Taku Iwasaki is talented too, but he can't hold a candle to Takanashi.

So, even if what we see wouldn't probably change, what we would hear will be drastically altered. I know that many people watch anime only for a visual and don't give a damn about the sound, but for me sound is even more essential than picture, so I really have doubts about this Mononoke movie. I've watched so many terrible anime remakes that, even if this one is not exactly a remake, I'm quite reluctant to acquaintance myself with this new version of the epic series.

More topics from this board

» New trailer with theme song

crazyaccel - May 1

11 by Alexjg42 »»
May 16, 1:12 PM

» Should I watch the TV version first?

neow_neow - May 1

12 by Rhae »»
May 3, 1:50 PM

» Official Trailer and 2024 Release Date

Jamobo - Aug 4, 2023

31 by keinboesewicht »»
May 1, 7:28 AM

» New teaser and release date

Dbagas8 - Mar 20

3 by Rhae »»
Apr 28, 4:00 PM

» since when?

metabd - Sep 25, 2022

2 by SirUrnir »»
Oct 11, 2022 4:28 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.