Forum Settings
Forums

'Itou Junji: Maniac' Anime Series Announced for 2023

New
Jun 8, 2022 11:46 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Streaming platform Netflix announced a new anime project based on titles by horror manga creator Junji Itou on Wednesday, scheduled for a 2023 debut. The anime series, Itou Junji: Maniac (Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales of the Macabre), will adapt 20 stories from a number of Itou's manga for the first time, including Tomie, Souichi, and Kubitsuri Kikyuu (The Hanging Balloons).

The Itou Junji: Collection (The Junji Ito Collection) television anime adapted stories from the Itou Junji Kessaku-shuu (Junji Ito Masterpiece Collection) and Ma no Kakera (Fragments of Horror) manga in Winter 2018. The anime series covered stories from Tomie and Souichi no Kattena Noroi (Souichi's Selfish Curse).

Itou's Uzumaki (Uzumaki: Spiral into Horror) manga also has an anime in production, scheduled for an October 2022 debut after two prior delays. The four-episode series is being directed by Hiroshi Nagahama (Mushishi) at animation studio Drive, with Aki Itami (Aku no Hana) handling the series composition.

Tomie
In a high school classroom, students mourn the loss of one of their own: Tomie Kawakami, who has been murdered and dismembered. Shocked by the announcement of her death, the class is puzzled by the cruel fate that has befallen someone so dear to them; such a radiant and beautiful girl did not deserve such a hideous demise. However, a strikingly familiar student suddenly appears at the classroom's entrance. Gorgeous, slender, and with a beauty mark under her left eye, Tomie smiles and apologizes for being late.

But this is just the beginning of the mysteries surrounding this seemingly inhuman woman. The men unlucky enough to catch her eye become smitten with her instantly, but also become driven by a dark impulse to dismember her, one they often succumb to. And each time, Tomie returns from the dead to continue her favorite pastime: toying with men. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Souichi Series
Souichi Tsujii, lover of all things wicked and occult, returns to do what he does best: casting mischief and curses on those around him. This time, he attempts to capitalize on his mystic powers, play his hand at popularity, pester his grandfather into building him a coffin, and as usual, torment his elder brother Kouchi. And like always, his shenanigans tend to backfire on him, though this time they may have a more lasting effect...

Kubitsuri Kikyuu
Kazuko's friend, the popular idol Fujino Terumi, has committed suicide by hanging herself in public. As the news of her death spreads around, so does a wave of copycat suicides, giving rise to rumors of Terumi's ghost. With these rumors come strange but detailed reports that Terumi's ghost has manifested as her giant, floating head. As Kazuko starts to investigate, she realizes that these strange incidents are merely the beginning of the end.

Announcement

Source: Comic Natalie

Itou Junji: Maniac on MAL
VindstotJun 9, 2022 4:41 AM

Jun 8, 2022 11:52 PM
Feb 2021
I need to know the studio before getting even remotely excited
Jun 9, 2022 12:07 AM
Feb 2021
The draft look nice, but I need to know the staff members and studio before I get excited.
Jun 9, 2022 12:33 AM

Nov 2019
I just started reading Uzumaki. Looking forward to this though, after seeing the previous attempt to adapt his works, I am a bit cautious. Hopefully someone does his works some justice.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Jun 9, 2022 12:49 AM

Mar 2015
Gonna keep my expectations low as for every Junji Ito anime. Translating his extremely detailed art into anime is a massive feat.
Jun 9, 2022 12:56 AM

Jul 2021
I need an announcement for Uzumaki
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 9, 2022 2:08 AM

Feb 2021
Great news! I am waiting for premiere!

OvergrownRover said:
I need to know the studio before getting even remotely excited

AbelDande said:
The draft look nice, but I need to know the staff members and studio before I get excited.

Studio DEEN did great work adapting Ito's short stories in their series.
SignsOfSuicide said:
I just started reading Uzumaki. Looking forward to this though, after seeing the previous attempt to adapt his works, I am a bit cautious. Hopefully someone does his works some justice.

Me too, I agree!
Mirai said:
Gonna keep my expectations low as for every Junji Ito anime. Translating his extremely detailed art into anime is a massive feat.

Yes, you are right. Studio DEEN and Ufotable did it,

CQLLIST said:
I need an announcement for Uzumaki

It will air in October 2022, pretty soon.
MemoreJun 9, 2022 9:44 AM
Jun 9, 2022 4:17 AM

Jan 2016
The quality of netflix anime hasn't been too bad as of late,but if they're adapting ito junji, they need to bring their A game. Hope it doesnt turn out like the Deen adaptation

"Get your tentacles off me or ill make calamari out of your manhood" -Mirai Nikki Dub
Jun 9, 2022 6:01 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I'm guessing this will be comparable to how Love, Death + Robots is....Should be pretty good
Jun 9, 2022 6:20 AM

Feb 2012
Hopefully they make it with this one, the latest ones weren't really received that well.
Jun 9, 2022 6:52 AM

Aug 2012
This seems pretty neat to me. I hope this does well.
Jun 9, 2022 8:42 AM

Aug 2018
First Uzumaki and now this, so happy to see more of Junji Itou's Manga are getting Anime
"When There Is Evil In This World That Justice Cannot Defeat, Would You Taint Your Hands With Evil To Defeat Evil? Or Would You Remain Steadfast And Righteous Even If It Means Surrendering To Evil?"
Jun 9, 2022 9:47 AM

Feb 2017
looking forward to this but i also have extremely low expectations - so i will be overjoyed if this is a decent adaption

placeholder text
Jun 9, 2022 10:45 AM

Feb 2017
Will check it out but I really have no expectations of this.
Jun 9, 2022 11:00 AM

Jan 2018
I feel like adapting his works is a huge challenge, but it can't be worse than the Uzumaki movie from 2000... right? ( ;∀;) I just hope both this and Uzumaki will do the manga justice and not throw cgi all over the place... gonna keep my eye on it tho, I have huge expectations for the OST

Don't despair. Now's not the time for that.
But there's no way to turn back time.
Jun 25, 2022 12:57 PM

Aug 2018
Hell yeah!

More anime from Ito Junji manga. I love his works.
Jul 15, 2022 1:54 AM

Feb 2021
Pain_the_God said:
Hell yeah!

More anime from Ito Junji manga. I love his works.

I like them too!
yukyuuu said:
I feel like adapting his works is a huge challenge, but it can't be worse than the Uzumaki movie from 2000... right? ( ;∀;) I just hope both this and Uzumaki will do the manga justice and not throw cgi all over the place... gonna keep my eye on it tho, I have huge expectations for the OST

I hope delay will worth watching it!
VivavideoUser2x said:
The quality of netflix anime hasn't been too bad as of late,but if they're adapting ito junji, they need to bring their A game. Hope it doesnt turn out like the Deen adaptation

I like DEEN adaptation. It is good.

More topics from this board

» Web Manga 'Awajima Hyakkei' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

1 by yamiyugi101 »»
47 minutes ago

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

15 by MichaelJackson »»
2 hours ago

» 'Naze Boku no Sekai wo Daremo Oboeteinai no ka?' Reveals Additional Cast, Character Promo

Nioxys - Today

2 by notPara »»
Today, 8:28 AM

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

22 by arnicahealth »»
Today, 1:03 AM

» Manga 'Tougen Anki' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by thebrentinator24 »»
Yesterday, 7:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.